• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

macewank

bobbytkc said:
It is a preorder incentive, the thing was done before the game was released obviously. I don't see how this makes a difference.

It's not so much a preorder incentive.. If I recall, it's in any new copy of the game and I bought mine new so I have a SOCOM Pro code. It's more the principal that I'm speaking on.

If I buy a game, I should have access to all of the content on that disc. Make it unlockable, staggered, whatever. Bottom line is, there shouldn't be any additional cost to me to use the data on the disc. If I didn't pre-order, buy early, or if I bought used I shouldn't have to pay an extra $15 (the cost of SOCOM Pro) to access maps/guns that were already on the disc.

It's pretty much the same exact thing companies like EA and Ubi are doing with their online multiplayer.

Protip: If you don't want used games to cannibalize your sales, make games people want to keep.

So uh.. I downloaded 'Pro Access' from the European PS store and all it seems to do is unlock the custom game modes (like SCRUM and Community Day Classic), but when I try selecting Abandoned, I still get a message I don't have access to that content, what up with that? Do I download the map seperately or something or is it just not available yet?

macewank

FoxhoundNL said:
So uh.. I downloaded 'Pro Access' from the European PS store and all it seems to do is unlock the custom game modes (like SCRUM and Community Day Classic), but when I try selecting Abandoned, I still get a message I don't have access to that content, what up with that? Do I download the map seperately or something or is it just not available yet?

yeah you have to download the map from the store too

tenchir

Socom 4 will be 35 buck at frys, I think I will buy it and try socom again, was really disappointed with confrontation. How is the multiplayer? I am going from Black Ops > MAG > Socom 4 now.

Persona7

Banned
macewank said:
so I downloaded Abandoned.. 100kb? That reeks of disc-unlock to me.

Why do we allow companies to do this to us?
It was always a preorder incentive, of course the map is on the disk.

Didn't they say in a few months everybody who has socom pro will have access to the map irregardless? and it is free with PS+ so everybody has a chance to snatch it up

CatPee

ChefRamsay said:
Ok so my friggin SOCOM Pro code doesn't work anymore. WTF.

I tried entering it when the PS Store was down, as you could still enter promo codes online. A post in this thread mentioned that it would unlock Abandoned even when the PS Store was down, because it just checks your online acct, and if it sees a code, you can play. Something along those lines.

Well, tried it, and it didn't work. Thought nothing of it.

Retried now and the code says 'Invalid, already used.' The SOCOM Pro thing is NOT in my purchase history. I've essentially lost the code.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. Seriously.

I know this is a big request but does any GAFer have an extra code or is not going to use theirs? I was really looking forward to all the new maps, and now thanks to modern day DRM I'm out $15. D:

It's not a download at all. Go into Account Management->Transaction Management->Services List. You should see SOCOM Pro. It's merely a tool to let Zipper/Sony know which accounts have access to the future free DLC.

FoxhoundNL said:

Abandoned was a preorder incentive and not part of SOCOM Pro. It's also available for free on PS+ right now, and since everybody should have PS+ due to Welcome Back, you can download it. Otherwise, it'll be available shortly to all SOCOM Pro peeps.

bob page

Just read about the new maps, awesome news. SOCOM Pro is turning out great so far, it's too bad BC2's VIP wasn't this good.

Biff

Thanks, I see it in my Services link!

So is the only thing we get with it now the AK47 and M16? We don't get Abandoned??

I could have sworn I saw Abandoned and the Shotguns in the PS Store the other day.. Now it's not there anymore???

Persona7

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
Thanks, I see it in my Services link!

So is the only thing we get with it now the AK47 and M16? We don't get Abandoned??
Abandoned is free right now if you have Playstation Plus, everyone has free thirty days right now and you get to keep it forever. The shotguns are there as well.

For the people who somehow miss out on getting abandoned now, abandoned will become avilable via socom pro in a few weeks.

Biff

Persona7 said:
Abandoned is free right now if you have Playstation Plus, everyone has free thirty days right now and you get to keep it forever.
Did it get pulled from the PS Store? Can't find it anywhere, thought it was free with PS Plus too, as you said.

Maybe they pulled it because they don't want everyone getting free maps and shotguns?

Persona7

Banned
ChefRamsay said:
Did it get pulled from the PS Store? Can't find it anywhere, thought it was free with PS Plus too.

Maybe they pulled it because they don't want everyone getting free maps?
I think the store is having some problems because some stuff has completely dissapeared off the store.

Biff

Persona7 said:
I think the store is having some problems because some stuff has completely dissapeared off the store.
Thanks for your fast replies!

Alright I'll wait it out. Looking forward to trying the map :)

Persona7 said:
Abandoned is free right now if you have Playstation Plus, everyone has free thirty days right now and you get to keep it forever. The shotguns are there as well.

For the people who somehow miss out on getting abandoned now, abandoned will become avilable via socom pro in a few weeks.

I thought any dlc you get with plus is taken away once you let it expire

Dead

well not really...yet
Im wavering on getting this at the Frys sale...might as well jump in for only $35...

KPunk

really wish i knew about double XP weekend. would have played a lot, would love to be able to mod my guns :(..all i play is classic. i don't even want to touch standard honestly.

Greg

I've been really busy and haven't even played in about 2 weeks, but I just checked the forums and 1.03 was finally given a date of June 14th:
Second Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.03
Confirmed Release: June 14, 2011

• Repaired multiple issues related to camera collision, including moving the camera above the player's head when colliding with geometry of moving to/ from narrow spaces
  • Revised PE4 Explosives: Dramatically reduced throwing velocity and throwing distance, while lowering the damage value
  • Adjusted gun accuracy values to more unique by weapon
  • Updated "tap-to-talk" in Classic mode so that it functions properly on with all DualShock control schemes and the PlayStation Move/ Sharp Shooter peripheral
  • Fixed "spawn delay" issue that prevented players from spawning simultaneously consistently
  • Added controller options for adjusting the dead zone and acceleration
  • Added option to activate a center dot for your targeting reticule if desired
  • Added option to turn in-game XP displays on or off
  • Removed Merits and Victory Dances in Clan Challenge Matches
  • "Ready" Clans are now filtered to the top of the Clan Challenge list
  • Added Clan Lobby Player Counts to Clan Challenge Invites
  • Made improvements to camera while in "Spectator" View
  • Increased strafe and backwards movement character speed
  • Increased Victory Dance animation duration
  • Multiplayer Gametypes are now organized by category
  • Added queues for "Classic Small Suppression. Classic Medley" and "Classic Small Medley"

Smokey

Alright.

I've had this on my shelf unopened since launch (which happened to be when fucking PSN went down). Basically a noob Socom player.

What should I do first? I do remember from previous editions how big of bitches some people are in the Socom community. Guide me GAF.

Greg

Stick to standard (respawn) matches to start off with so that you can learn the games and find the weapon classes you enjoy while not getting too frustrated about dying. I'd go with something like bomb squad... anything other than suppression so that you get a better feel for the spawn placements on each map/side.

Patch 1.03 is now live (42MB).

Let's see what Zipper has done.

edit: And an aditional 35MB of 'updates' when the game actually boots.

Psykotik said:
downloading now. hope they fixed the respawn glitches.
Been playing for half an hour, haven't had respawn delay once. Pretty sure they fixed that.

Still can't access any Pro-content, despite downloading Pro access succesfully sometime ago. Apparently there's new maps under the Custom Games section, not sure if those were there before the patch though.

PE4 has drammatically less power/range now fortunately, so that's the second thing I'm glad about.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FoxhoundNL said:
PE4 has drammatically less power/range now fortunately, so that's the second thing I'm glad about.

Yeah, I've got team-killed twice in a match with the PE4 because of that. :D

Greg

Played for like 5 minutes with the patch - camera is great during collisions now, but it feels like the camera was brought forward just a bit. I haven't played in a couple weeks though, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Even if the constant use of the L3 has ruined my stick and it picks up slight movement when the deadzone is at 0, the deadzone/acceleration options are definitely a welcome addition.

Also, the Pro Assault Pack (3 new maps, 2 new weapons) is out on the US store now. I didn't see it displayed on the new releases page, but if you search the store for SOCOM it's at the bottom of the list. Someone on the forums mentioned that it's also available if you access the store through SOCOM's in-game menu.

KPunk

Greg said:
Played for like 5 minutes with the patch - camera is great during collisions now, but it feels like the camera was brought forward just a bit. I haven't played in a couple weeks though, so maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Even if the constant use of the L3 has ruined my stick and it picks up slight movement when the deadzone is at 0, the deadzone/acceleration options are definitely a welcome addition.

Also, the Pro Assault Pack (3 new maps, 2 new weapons) is out on the US store now. I didn't see it displayed on the new releases page, but if you search the store for SOCOM it's at the bottom of the list. Someone on the forums mentioned that it's also available if you access the store through SOCOM's in-game menu.

wait are you serious???? i hope your not lying! downloading patch and trying to download now!

EDIT: Hell yeah! cant wait for this download to finish, thanks for the post!

Greg

KPunk said:
wait are you serious???? i hope your not lying! downloading patch and trying to download now!
According to the blog post earlier today about the patch, they stated they'd have more information on the assault pack later... it seems it wasn't supposed to go up when it did, but it's up.

The official blog post:
http://www.socom.com/en-us/Blog/Post?id=427
We're happy to announce that the SOCOM Pro Assault Pack is now available for download via the PlayStation Store! The pack is available for free to SOCOM Pro members and contains three new competitive multiplayer maps and two fan-favorite weapons.

Assault Pack Maps:
"Red Line" - A monorail depot highlights this small and highly war-torn urban location.

"Double Cross" - A plane has crashed into a small mountain village, leaving wreckage and burning debris scattered throughout the area.

"Driftwood" - A small fishing village with a tight layout results in intense close-quarter battles.

Assault Pack Weapons:
M16 - This highly accurate Spec Ops weapon is great at range and, with a suppressor gained at Mod Level 2, can be used in stealthier situations as well.

AK-47 - This Insurgent weapon is difficult to control but inflicts a high amount of damage. It's also capable of holding a large amount of ammo at Mod 5, making a very deadly option for aggressive players.

The SOCOM Pro Assault Pack is free for SOCOM Pro members. SOCOM Pro comes free with new copies of SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs, and is also available for purchase on the PlayStation Store for $14.99.

I have modded up 3 weapons almost entirely on each side and my playtime consists of mostly Classic rooms. I've only played respawn a few times, I just can't stand that shit. The kills you make have little to no impact in how the game plays out... Don't even start about suppression, that's a borefest either way, lol.

Modded up two assault rifles one with suppressor another without. Plus an SMG. Sounds like I'm ready for the Pro Assault Pack... 92% installing... and ready.

Seeya.

LevityNYC

Banned
There are a few maps with direct lines of site between spawn points where you can get shot and killed 1-2 seconds after a round starts.

Kind of annoying.

^ I'm curious too. I played this a while ago and liked it but never bought it. Not that I've got a free copy coming in from Sony they have my attention again lol.

Greg

Raoh said:
What is everyone using for turn speed and dead zone?
Max turn and pitch, acceleration at default (50/100), and deadzone ~15 clicks up from 0. I prefer it at 0, but the slight looseness of my left stick causes some unintentional movement.

Top Bottom