• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

10dollas

Banned
The maps in this game are sooooo Goooooood (sacrifice being the exception) Why can't other developers place as much emphasis on a great map package.

Greg

Hi-tekk said:
Quick question: how do i get access to the FDO-11? Do i have to be at a certain level/rank? I'm currently at level/rank 4.
Yeah, check the weapon progression page - I believe it says the level requirements. You unlock all of the guns relatively early though.

Lyonaz said:
Been playing online for the first time, Supression MP all day and hot damn is the game a lot of fun.

Still getting used to playing with the Move, but getting gradually decent with it. What's the best settings btw?
I do wish you could change shoulder view though, view getting obscured by your character sucks.

TTP's settings when I asked him a while back:

Turn Speed - MAX
Pitch Speed - MID
Pointer Sensitivity - Almost MAX (5 bars short of it)

As for the bounding boxes
Normal Gameplay - the smallest you can set them, both pitch and turning (by small I refer to the way the show up on the TV image. You actually have to move the bars all way to the right)
Aim Mode - Same as normal gameplay
Scope - quite wide, about 10 bars from the left (both pitch and turn)

panda21 said:
is there anywhere you can see how many people are online in different game types?

it seems like everything other than respawn supression is a ghost town, i can't even get into respawn bomb.
Nope. I'm guessing that most are just using suppression respawn to mod weapons because it's the easiest way to do it without the use of teamwork. I know my clan rarely played respawn in previous SOCOM games (quick warmup), and that's all we're playing right now just because it's the quickest way to mod. I'm sure once the party system gets going there will be a shift to a lot more classic game types.

If you ever get the screen where you're in queue for a game, sometimes if you back out and wait a few seconds and try again you'll end up in a game with a fresh spot instead of being thrown back into the queue.

10dollas said:
The maps in this game are sooooo Goooooood (sacrifice being the exception) Why can't other developers place as much emphasis on a great map package.
Yeah, they're awesome. Sacrifice is really good for 8v8/Classic, but it's too small for 16v16. That's usually the map that gets skipped for voting in 32p games unless the other option is the map that was just played previously.

bob page said:
Sounds like a problem with your TV settings.

Doubt it, most ps3 games dont scale correctly like LBP and motor storm, it usually asks you to move the screen horizontal and vertical to fit to screen. Was wondering if this game had the same option. There were black bars on both sides of my tv during the beta

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Outtrigger888 said:
Doubt it, most ps3 games dont scale correctly like LBP and motor storm, it usually asks you to move the screen horizontal and vertical to fit to screen. Was wondering if this game had the same option. There were black bars on both sides of my tv during the beta

You playing in 3D right?

I recall someone mentioning getting black bars when playing in 3D. There is a video on youtube about that. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TRS6sp87-4

TTP said:
You playing in 3D right?

I recall someone mentioning getting black bars when playing in 3D. There is a video on youtube about that. Let me see if I can find it (edit: I can't :/).

Ya i was playing in 3d, and how are the move controls? Is it smoother than killzone 3? Which I thought were pretty clunky ever after calibrating the hell out of it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Outtrigger888 said:
Ya i was playing in 3d, and how are the move controls? Is it smoother than killzone 3? Which I thought were pretty clunky ever after calibrating the hell out of it.

The Move controls are fine but not as good as the KZ3 ones. There are quite a few issues I have discussed in my video:
part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lo7Yjw0GB0
part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaWIZNCh4_8

Here is how it could control with some tweaks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcLRiRL0E4E

I still do fairly well with it. Mostly playing standard suppression these days and getting my fair share of MVPs.

KZ3 is still the best Move compatible shooter IMO in terms of Move implementation. Odd you did find it clunky. Not sure if you have seen it already but here is my analysis (with tips on how to play with the Move): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWF0yZCmpNo

Bare in mind it does take time to get comfortable with the Move, whatever the game. It took me about 3 days of intense MAG play to get the hang of it back then. Now, I just can't go back to DS3 anymore. (My MAG video btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFk0D5AxoHE)

If you are playing with the Sharp Shooter, don't. It's actually more difficult with that.

panda21

So I played respawn for a while before I embarrassed myself in classic, and at first I didn't like classic that much... But now I'm getting used to the play style, it's incredible! The map design fits the classic style gameplay perfectly, so many different little routes through the map that you have to really watch your back and pay attention to where your team mates are. Today I just sort of 'got it' and it's soooooo good, had some amazing games where we made epic comebacks after losing lots of rounds. It can get stressful but the break in between rounds (if you die anyway) makes it kind of relaxing in a weird way.

And on top of all that I was having a great time with respawn suppression for the last week, so it's not like they phoned it in for that. It kind of feels like mag but even more fun.

Can't wait to dip into bomb tech, I think I played some of the other modes like uplink in the beta and wasn't feeling them much.

I think bale out and von heine are my favourite maps so far, and the city one is fun on respawn

For guns I think the mp5 or pdw with an m4 (or m16? I forget which) or iar are my favourites. Those ARs have the best accuracy but also pretty good all round stats. Do you unlock extra scopes and attachments as you mod them? I made mod 1 on something but it didn't seem to unlock anything.

Really hope zipper do ok after the lay offs, I don't know how successful they have been financially but both this and mag are phenomenal, they certainly deserve a chance to make some more...

CatPee

panda21 said:
For guns I think the mp5 or pdw with an m4 (or m16? I forget which) or iar are my favourites. Those ARs have the best accuracy but also pretty good all round stats. Do you unlock extra scopes and attachments as you mod them? I made mod 1 on something but it didn't seem to unlock anything.

Yea, the guns have 5 levels of mod each. Scopes are unlocked in later mods. Mod 1 of the M4 gives extra ammo, and the next is a muzzle brake. The game doesn't tell you what you unlock with each mod, so you have to go into the armory screen to see what's now available to the gun.

KPunk

10dollas said:

In my opinion this is what zipper does best.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CatPee said:
The game doesn't tell you what you unlock with each mod, so you have to go into the armory screen to see what's now available to the gun.

Which is annoying. Not a big deal, but annoying nonetheless. Also annoying is that you can only check the weapons stats at the load out screen. If I have to go back to the armory screen to check mods, I might as well take a look at the stats there no?

Greg

Just use weekend_warrior's spreadsheet for the mod listings, and this page if you want the weapons broken down by stats

Almost finished with my last weapon to mod - about 50 kills to go. Annoying thing about the matchmaking is when you join a room on the opposite side that you're trying to mod. I never quit if I'm going to lose, and I have 123 games completed out of 154 because I leave as soon as it puts me on the wrong side... pretty much counts as a loss in the stats because it's based on wins/total games.

I know every game has some 'hey I shot that guy' but I don't really understand why if a guy's body takes up your whole target circle why don't the bullets hit him.

zychi

Banned
I FINALLY got some time to play this online now, I'm getting my ass handed to me in supression because I don't know any of the good hiding spots or basically any of the maps.

panda21

Greg said:
Just use weekend_warrior's spreadsheet for the mod listings, and this page if you want the weapons broken down by stats

oh nice, thanks

what does the high supressor do? assuming the low supressor is the silencer on some of the mod 0 guns, it doesnt seem to be that useful, since i often hear people because they are firing a silenced weapon, even if its not as loud as usual, you can still hear it.

oh and the sound cues in this game are great. so cool that you can figure out where people are based on the sounds they are making.

Greg

panda21 said:
what does the high supressor do?
Just a bit more sound reduction - that's it. Once you unlock the high suppressor for a gun there's no reason to go back to the low.

whatevermort said:
I'm sure that this has been covered, but if I want a decent single player shooter, is this worth taking a chance on?
As a purchase or a rental?

It's worth a rental if you're a fan of 3rd person shooters because there's not really much else out there. However, if you don't plan on taking it online (competitive/co-op), I wouldn't really recommend purchasing it for the single player. I'm content with my purchase based on MP alone, but I don't feel the same for the SP.

I finally got my M4 to mod 4 and got my noob toob. So glad to finally have this after getting hit with it so many times. Very useful for straight ahead high damage.

Greg

PE4 is ruining my fun in this game right now. Roper said on his twitter that they're going to be adjusted, but clan challenges are awful right now with people spamming that shit.

Yeah what's up with that PE4. I never get how people kill me with it. Doesn't happen that often to tbh, but when it happens I'm flabbergasted. So fast and accurately...

Greg said:
PE4 is ruining my fun in this game right now. Roper said on his twitter that they're going to be adjusted, but clan challenges are awful right now with people spamming that shit.
I think the concussion grenades need to be less lethal. Even I'm getting almost as many kills with them as with frag grenades.

Greg

Razor 81 said:
I've read this before about the PE4, what exactly is the problem with them?
They can be tossed as far as grenades, you get 3 of them, the blast radius is larger/more powerful than grenades, there's no indicator (which is fine if they're used properly and planted to something, but while in the air there is no indicator like a grenade), and to detonate them you only have to be pointed in their general direction. And on top of that, unlike a grenade where you have to aim it properly, you can use them to kill enemies behind objects by simply detonating it above their heads.

Takes no skill to use, and of course the community is catching on to it.

BobTheFork said:
I think the concussion grenades need to be less lethal. Even I'm getting almost as many kills with them as with frag grenades.
Yeah, according to my stat page, ~70% of my hits with each are kills.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Looks like double XP is live.

Chris Roper said:
Double XP for All Competitive SOCOM 4 MP Games

Welcome back, soldier! In an effort to help bring everyone up to speed we're doubling any and all XP earned during competitive multiplayer games for the near future. You don't have to do anything other than complete a game to reap the benefits of our limited-time "Double XP" bonus, so what are you waiting for? We'll see you online!

Greg

Weird they finally announced double XP when it has been on for a few days - maybe they couldn't get the PR released on the weekend.

Wait, did they make a mistake on the PR because I'm playing right now and I'm not getting double xp. I WAS getting it all weekend and I thought it was ending last night anyways but it sure isn't on for me now.

demolitio

Got the Shakes said:
Any idea how long double XP is going on for?
At least a week, but it's been going on since Friday in classic mode. It wasn't working in respawn and it wasn't always 2x XP so they didn't officially announce it but they ended up just leaving it up for classic mode. I basically modded up my main weapons due to this already.

btkadams

BobTheFork said:
Wait, did they make a mistake on the PR because I'm playing right now and I'm not getting double xp. I WAS getting it all weekend and I thought it was ending last night anyways but it sure isn't on for me now.
really? :( i was really stoked when i just read the above posts.

I just played a hour of normal suppression. Not getting double xp at all. I've been having great games but I'm only getting regular xp. Something is going on, not sure what.

edit: ok, now it am getting double xp, just started in the last match

Could someone tell me which assault rifle for Spec Ops is considered the 'good' one. Im using the sfcr at mod 4 but I don't think I like any of them. They are all inaccurate except this one and it only has 20 shots a clip :p

bob page

BobTheFork said:
Could someone tell me which assault rifle for Spec Ops is considered the 'good' one. Im using the sfcr at mod 4 but I don't think I like any of them. They are all inaccurate except this one and it only has 20 shots a clip :p
I love the IW.

Greg

The IW is the most accurate from my experience if that's what you're looking for, but there definitely isn't a 'best' choice.

I think it all depends on your other weapon slot. If you have an SMG then I'd stay away from something like the FAMAS. If your other weapon isn't silenced then I'd look at something like the ACR that can be.

I just never play as well as Spec Ops as I do with insurgents. I can get more kills with every insurgent weapon...who knows why.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I can't believe KZ3 has better move controls than Socom 4. I was under the impression, maybe because of the SharpShooter bundle, that Socom 4 was designed with the SharpShooter in mind. But assigning the cover to O and grenades instead to the Move button may be the stupidest decision ever. I feel like a spider having to press the O button with the Sharpshooter to get into cover while maintaining a finger on the joystick.

Also I think because it's a 3rd person shooter the reticle is a bit off to the right when the gun is pointed dead center. As result I feel like the gun doesn't mimic the actual gun position like KZ3. These two factors combined makes the controls ridiculously clunky. I think if I had played this first I would have liked it better. But after having fallen in love with KZ3's controls last week, this game just seems horrible.

I think the SharpShooter ruined this game for me.

IPoopStandingUp said:
I can't believe KZ3 has better move controls than Socom 4. I was under the impression, maybe because of the SharpShooter bundle, that Socom 4 was designed with the SharpShooter in mind. But assigning the cover to O and grenades instead to the Move button may be the stupidest decision ever. I feel like a spider having to press the O button with the Sharpshooter to get into cover while maintaining a finger on the joystick.

Also I think because it's a 3rd person shooter the reticle is a bit off to the right when the gun is pointed dead center. As result I feel like the gun doesn't mimic the actual gun position like KZ3. These two factors combined makes the controls ridiculously clunky. I think if I had played this first I would have liked it better. But after having fallen in love with KZ3's controls last week, this game just seems horrible.

I think the SharpShooter ruined this game for me.

Use the vanilla move then, or sacrifice your Sharpshooter to make TTP's FrankenMove, for the best of both.

I'll be trading this in along with about 25+ other games I've accumulated during this console generation as I will be busy playing Demon's Souls until Dark Souls releases (and the DS servers are taken offline).

Loudninja

Welcome Back to SOCOM 4–With Free Maps and Weapons!
We’re very happy today to announce that SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs is now offering free maps and weapons to all PS Plus users! You might remember that we gave away the classic SOCOM map “Abandoned” and a couple of exclusive shotguns as an incentive to pre-order the game through GameStop. All PlayStation Plus users can now download “Abandoned” and the shotguns free for the next month! For those of you without Plus yet, don’t worry–your time will come shortly. Recall the blog announcement a couple weeks back announcing that, as a token of appreciation, the PlayStation Network will be giving all users 30 days free PlayStation Plus membership, coming soon. After a month of PlayStation Plus availability, “Abandoned” and the shotguns will continue to be available for SOCOM Pro members.

But that’s not all. When we announced SOCOM Pro shortly before SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs hit stores, we promised that we’d be delivering the oft-requested M16 and AK-47 shortly after release. We’re happy today to not only say that they’re almost here, but that they’re being packaged alongside a set of new competitive multiplayer maps!

Dubbed the SOCOM Pro Assault Pack, this bundle will be available as a free download exclusively to SOCOM Pro members and features three all-new competitive multiplayer maps: “Red Line”, “Double Cross” and “Driftwood”, as well as two fan-favorite weapons, the M16 and AK-47. The maps, inspired by missions from the single-player campaign, have been designed to feature tighter spaces with intense 8 vs. 8 matches in mind (not that 32-player skirmishes aren’t a blast on all three maps).

Assault Pack Maps:

“Red Line” – A monorail depot highlights this small and highly war-torn urban location.

“Double Cross” – A plane has crashed into a small mountain village, leaving wreckage and burning debris scattered throughout the area.

“Driftwood” – A small fishing village with a tight layout results in intense close-quarter battles.
Assault Pack Weapons:

M16 – This highly accurate Spec Ops weapon is great at range and, with a suppressor gained at Mod Level 2, can be used in stealthier situations as well.

AK-47 – This Insurgent weapon is difficult to control but inflicts a high amount of damage. It’s also capable of holding a large amount of ammo at Mod 5, making a very deadly option for aggressive players.

And last but certainly not least, don’t forget that our Double XP bonus promotion is currently underway and affects not only every game type but both your player level and weapon progression!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/welcome-back-to-socom-4-with-free-maps-and-weapons/

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
macewank said:
so I downloaded Abandoned.. 100kb? That reeks of disc-unlock to me.

Why do we allow companies to do this to us?

It is a preorder incentive, the thing was done before the game was released obviously. I don't see how this makes a difference.

Top Bottom