• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

Raoh

Greg said:
Max turn and pitch, acceleration at default (50/100), and deadzone ~15 clicks up from 0. I prefer it at 0, but the slight looseness of my left stick causes some unintentional movement.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I only tried it for a few minutes last night and was all over the place like a navy seal on weekend leave.

Greg

bob page said:
So for deadzone is it 15 clicks from the middle or far left side?
Far left.

I started at 0 and kept moving it up until the looseness of the stick didn't cause my character to move. I'm sure 0 would be fine if you have a relatively new controller, but games with L3 as run have a tendency to wear my stick down.

bob page

Greg said:
Far left.

I started at 0 and kept moving it up until the looseness of the stick didn't cause my character to move. I'm sure 0 would be fine if you have a relatively new controller, but games with L3 as run have a tendency to wear my stick down.
Ok cool. Why is the default set so high then?

Greg

bob page said:
Ok cool. Why is the default set so high then?
No clue. I understand why default isn't 0 (for cases like mine), but I always try to maximize responsiveness. It just makes the most sense to me that if I'm moving the sticks, no matter how slightly, I should see it reflected in game.

Some people don't like controls to be that touchy if they tend to use extreme movements with the sticks, but with controls as responsive as they can be you can adjust the other settings accordingly.

Greg

LevityNYC said:
Does anyone have any good Move settings?
Credit to TTP:
Turn Speed - MAX
Pitch Speed - MID
Pointer Sensitivity - Almost MAX (5 bars short of it)

As for the bounding boxes
Normal Gameplay - the smallest you can set them, both pitch and turning (by small I refer to the way the show up on the TV image. You actually have to move the bars all way to the right)
Aim Mode - Same as normal gameplay
Scope - quite wide, about 10 bars from the left (both pitch and turn)

And you might want to check out some of his videos - they do a good job explaining a lot of the issues/quirks:

http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2011/04/video-iwatch-socom-4-multiplayer-beta.html
http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2011/04/video-iwatch-how-socom-4-could-control.html

Raoh

The lastest patch has taught me something.

I need a new controller, i'm starting to notice how loose my analog sticks are, especially my left one.

My Real Triggers are also not as secure as they used to be either.

Sony really needs to make some adjustments/improvements to the Playstation Controller.

Any good third party controllers for third person shooters?

If he likes it now, he's gonna like it even more. It gets better and better while you put more hours into it, imho.
I'm liking it way better now, then when I first switched from Confrontation.

There's already 4 free maps and two free guns, plus a couple of new game modes to download. And from what I'm understanding there's more free (and also paiid) DLC coming up. So Socom 4 might be a good choice for your son!

Also, if you're planning on picking it up used, be aware of the Pro Access code which you might have to purchase off of PSN to be able to access the free DLC.

T-0800

So...this game has a Metacritic average of 67. I've only played the beta so maybe the full game deserves a 67 average but I loved what I played. What's the general opinion of the game here?

Rubenov

T-0800 said:
So...this game has a Metacritic average of 67. I've only played the beta so maybe the full game deserves a 67 average but I loved what I played. What's the general opinion of the game here?

Not great, not bad. Good for wasting time a bit but don't expect awesomeness.

Greg

T-0800 said:
It definitely doesn't deserve a 67. The game certainly has its issues on the SP side, but MP alone is easily worth the purchase if you enjoyed what you played during the beta.

After following the game for a while and reading the forums/listening to podcasts, I'm less confident in the support that the game will be receiving outside of DLC, but it's one of your only options if you're looking for a solid 3rd person shooter online.

CatPee

T-0800 said:

The issue with the Metascore of SOCOM 4 was that publications mostly only reviewed the SP while the PSN was still down, and since it has a mediocre SP, it's natural that it would get low scores. Multiplayer feels to me what Counter-Strike would feel like if it were in 3rd-person form and is all about communication to call out enemy positions and teamwork to eliminate them. Classic Bomb Squad also happens to be one of the best MP modes I've played this gen, too.

In any case, pick it up if you're a fan of infantry-based tactical (less so on Standard modes) shooters.

evilenger

Greg said:
It definitely doesn't deserve a 67. The game certainly has its issues on the SP side, but MP alone is easily worth the purchase if you enjoyed what you played during the beta.

After following the game for a while and reading the forums/listening to podcasts, I'm less confident in the support that the game will be receiving outside of DLC, but it's one of your only options if you're looking for a solid 3rd person shooter online.

I agree with you there. I am kind of a review guy but I took the risk on SC4 based on the beta I played and am glad I did. I really enjoy the MP. Your right though, checking out the official socom forum, seems there's so much hate for it from the "Socom Vets".

I guess it's lucky that I haven't played the previous versions so I can enjoy it for what it is now.

While I enjoy the game, lot of the reviews just called the game overall generic which in a ways is true. While the game has it's unique elements, it just doesn't have much that sets it apart from many other shooters and many will just write it off. The SP was pretty forgettable while servicable, and the MP is not going to seem like anything new for many gamers who are not going to invest tons of time into it.

bob page

Yeah, the PSN downtime really screwed it over. Tons of reviewers didn't review the online portion, which is what SOCOM is all about. Hell, Gerstmann didn't even do a review and he's a long time fan.

At the end of the day, I think it's the best PS3 multiplayer shooter.

demolitio

The new patch that adds the party system should be hitting in an hour or two during the maintenance window. Here's all the details: http://www.socom.com/en-us/Blog/Post?id=432

- Added “Party” system to primary multiplayer interface which allows players to invite other users to play with them in a persistent group until disbanded (up to 16 total players)

- Fixed bug that sometimes prevented Bomb Squad and Uplink matches to end properly despite one team winning the required number of rounds

- Players who do not have SOCOM Pro can now “Scavenge” Pro-associated weapons on the battlefield for a limited time use (does not unlock them permanently)

Weapons and Gear

- Added additional weapon “knock” to single and burst-fire modes for all weapons to limit possible rapid-fire exploits

Interface

- Games played under “Classic” rules now implement an “open” mic system for players in the Spectator lobby

- Added “open” mic functionality to all transition screens for games played under “Classic” rules

- Added “Games Played” statistics for SOCOM Pro maps

- Fixed issue that caused post-game text to display incorrectly at the end of a round or match

Technical

- Added functionality to allow all Gametypes to support independent XP bonuses

- Mics are now muted for the first five seconds of every round to reduce echo/ feedback from mass “round start” messages

- Implemented a number of stability fixes

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Do we know if party chat will be there? I mean, will we be able to chat with people in the party before getting into an actual game? You know, for deciding which game to chose and stuff like that

CatPee

TTP said:
Do we know if party chat will be there? I mean, will we be able to chat with people in the party before getting into an actual game? You know, for deciding which game to chose and stuff like that

That's probably a given. Having voice chat with your party has been a standard for far too long for even Zipper to forget about.

demolitio

TTP said:
It mentions that you can talk during the transition screens in classic mode which made me believe that it'd be there for party chat since we know that it's possible for them to do it and it makes perfect sense. Then again, they've done some weird things in the past though so I won't get my hopes up.

Either way, this COMPLETELY changes the way this game is played thanks to the party chat. Clans can all get on the same side along with other friends giving you a team you can trust while basically making communication important again. As it stands now, rarely anyone uses a mic unless it's a clan together, so this means I can finally play with my buddies who have mics giving me a good team to coordinate with.

Today should have been the release day for Socom 4. Launching without a party system was an incredibly strange blunder. They pulled the server lists... fine, I know a lot of old school guys were mad but I was ok with it as long as there were decent alternatives. But to pull the server list and then ship without a party system was beyond stupid. Im directing this anger at Sony, not Zipper, as I know they are the ones that decide when to release games.

But, what can ya do... the patch is here. Im hoping my clan picks up, though I have my doubts.

zlatko

Banned
So can you form a party before going into a game with friends in this game yet? I remember in beta they said it would be there at release, and then after release they said next patch, and then PSN went down and I stopped following the game.

CozMick

Banned
zlatko said:
So can you form a party before going into a game with friends in this game yet? I remember in beta they said it would be there at release, and then after release they said next patch, and then PSN went down and I stopped following the game.

Yeah, the patch was released a couple of days ago to allow parties :)

zlatko

Banned
CozMick said:
Yeah, the patch was released a couple of days ago to allow parties :)

Is it all that and a bag of potato chips? How is the overall game balance, connections, bugs, etc on multiplayer? I have a buddy who wants to get this and is trying to convince me to go in with him, but I don't want to play like a week then get bored due to 1 weapon to rule them all and lag.

sleepykyo

What's that trick to spawn on your team's side after picking up the intel? And is there a way to counter it? I keep seeing it happen in the uplink games.

Gekko87

Can anybody explain to me why I haven't played on any of the new maps in the Assault Pack? Looked for answers in the jungle that is the socom forums but didn't find jack shit.

I mainly been playing standard suppression (Never played small), maybe bomb squad here and there. Is it because nobody else downloaded it or something?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gekko87 said:
Can anybody explain to me why I haven't played on any of the new maps in the Assault Pack? Looked for answers in the jungle that is the socom forums but didn't find jack shit.

I mainly been playing standard suppression (Never played small), maybe bomb squad here and there. Is it because nobody else downloaded it or something?

I think there is a specific playlist for that just like with the Abandoned map?

evilenger

Gekko87 said:

Yeah don't bother with the socom forums unless you want to just read endless threads about how much they hate the game. :)

I still have a lot of fun playing it. Anyways, I believe you have to go to the Custom Playlist -> Socom Pro Medley Regular or Classic to get the new maps. You'll be in various game types though, not just suppression.

evilenger said:
Yeah don't bother with the socom forums unless you want to just read endless threads about how much they hate the game. :)

I still have a lot of fun playing it. Anyways, I believe you have to go to the Custom Playlist -> Socom Pro Medley Regular or Classic to get the new maps. You'll be in various game types though, not just suppression.

Just started to get into this again. It seems like every time I want to play SCRUM, CDC or Classic Small Maps I get put into a queue. Do people not play this game anymore? Also what's been the verdict on the M-16 and AK-47 so far?

evilenger

Triple Oceans said:
Just started to get into this again. It seems like every time I want to play SCRUM, CDC or Classic Small Maps I get put into a queue. Do people not play this game anymore? Also what's been the verdict on the M-16 and AK-47 so far?

Yeah I don't think there's that many playing it. It's too bad because I guess I am one of the few that has a lot of fun playing it. Most people seem to be in Suppression or Medley.

Sorry can't comment much on the M16 or AK yet. I haven't had a chance to test them out much. I have read that both are decent once you mod them up but the AK is a bit more pray and spray and less accurate than the M16.

mblitek

I hope there is a more serious SOCOM coming down the pipeline. The singleplayer is a joke in this SOCOM :( I think that new Tom Clancy GRAW2 will be more of a successor.

mblitek said:
I hope there is a more serious SOCOM coming down the pipeline. The singleplayer is a joke in this SOCOM :( I think that new Tom Clancy GRAW2 will be more of a successor.

You know I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have anything coming out soon. Single player was met with lukewarm feedback and it seems like multilayer is somewhat of a ghost town. From my perspective it's pretty sad because the multiplayer (everything about it except for the weapons mods) is where this game really shines.

Strife91 said:
Are a lot of people still playing this game? I'm thinking of getting it soon.
There are still some who play. But it really seems as if the community isn't too strong with this SOCOM. Also quick question, if I'm playing classic and I wanna talk in game I press up on the dpad? And if I wanna talk when I'm dead to my other dead teammates it's open mic?

Persona7

Banned
There are tons of people that play this game at all times of the day.

Maybe not as much as call of duty but there are still people playing everyday.

When Confrontation was at its peak, how was it comparing to S4? For as much as a tranwreck was when that game launched, I think just the hype of being the first Socom on PS3 might have driven it to stronger numbers.

Can't believe S4 has gone so under the radar the past few months.

redhot_

CartridgeBlower said:
When Confrontation was at its peak, how was it comparing to S4? For as much as a tranwreck was when that game launched, I think just the hype of being the first Socom on PS3 might have driven it to stronger numbers.

Can't believe S4 has gone so under the radar the past few months.

I got both and to me they feel like 2 different games. Confrontation was all about the classic no respawn.. and in Socom 4 it kinda ruined that for me. One big example i can give is having grenades spit out of your hand.. in Confrontation, and ALL other Socom's you had to switch, throw.. then switch back. Having that removed took some of the strategy away imo.

So ya, I still have a blast hanging out in respawns. Maybe thats just they way the franchise is going. The game is fine, probably came out better the Confrontation when it was at its peek if you enjoy it overall.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Jburton said:
Love this game.

Play it almost everyday.

One of the best exclusive shooters on the PS3.

Get on it!

Love this game too. It's like paintball with guns. Finding shooting lanes, spraying bullets, only a few bullets to kill people. And the headshots? Easily the most satisfying sound in all shooters I've played.

SamuraiX-

I was surprisingly hooked to the multiplayer beta of this game and I've been meaning to pick it up but I think I'm gonna have to wait until it hits ~$20 with Fall'11mageddon right around the corner. :(

Top Bottom