• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something about Dark Souls II on GameTrailers, next week?

EasyMode

I look forward to this series becoming easier and less complicated. Who has time for trial and error gameplay and memorizing wikis these days?

Robot Pants

The series has gotten popular to the point of being a valuable property, I have to assume their budget is increasing to boot. When more money is involved, they're going to take far fewer risks. They're going to make the game more casual, less challanging, and requiring less skill to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

They're going to make a game that most people who enjoyed Demon's and Dark won't like, but will buy anyway because that's what happens. It's also going to be purchased by a much larger group of gamers who've heard it's more accessible, or have just heard about period from their gamer friends who keep on touting how awesome it is.

It's going to kinda emulate what make the first two games so great, but it's going to miss. It'll have a tutorial level, it'll have a hint system, the combat will be boiled down to a much more streamlined level. Parry system will probably be either ditched or made so simple that timing doesn't REALLY matter. Health will regen, stats will be condensed to attack, defense, and maybe stamina. Your souls will no longer vanish if you die before you reach them, if you lose them at all upon death. There will be fewer secrets overall, or they will be plainly spelled out somewhere. Being able to be invaded will possibly be an option you can switch on and off. Bosses will still probably be dangerous, but much easier.

This is all my cynical opinion talking, based on my experience with so many other trilogies that have dissapointed me in the third game. I do hope I'm wrong, as I love the first two games. Thankfully, those two games are so deep, I'll continue to play and enjoy them for a good while longer anyway.
This guy gets it. I hate seeing this pattern with every game I like.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I trust From Software not to repeat it.
Indeed. They've done two spectacular games where the entire premise was "you've got a brain, figure it out". They deserve the benefit of the doubt. They haven't betrayed us but y'all are already betraying them by shitting on the game when all we got is a cg trailer and some interviews.

Orayn

Indeed. They've done two spectacular games where the entire premise was "you've got a brain, figure it out". They deserve the benefit of the doubt. They haven't betrayed us but y'all are already betraying them by shitting on the game when all we got is a cg trailer and some interviews.

BUT THE MUSIC IN THE TRAILER WAS DUDEBRO!

Seriously, if this is what I sound like when I'm being negative about other games, I hate myself. Assuming the worst on zero substantive information is insufferable.

Have you Negative Nancies been keeping up with the interviews with Miyazaki and the new producer? It sounds like the "more accessible" stuff is coming mainly in the form of making the beginning of the game less intimidating and more didactic, like the Undead Asylum and Undead Burg but better. They're not going to turn the whole thing into God of War.

That's still stupid. Games don't need "tutorials" where you practice how to run and attack. I don't recall tutorials in classic games like SMW and nobody holds that against it.

It would be absolutely awful if in demon's souls with the turtling blue eyed knight the game outright tells you the strategy to beating it.

crinale

The series has gotten popular to the point of being a valuable property, I have to assume their budget is increasing to boot. When more money is involved, they're going to take far fewer risks. They're going to make the game more casual, less challanging, and requiring less skill to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

They're going to make a game that most people who enjoyed Demon's and Dark won't like, but will buy anyway because that's what happens. It's also going to be purchased by a much larger group of gamers who've heard it's more accessible, or have just heard about period from their gamer friends who keep on touting how awesome it is.

It's going to kinda emulate what make the first two games so great, but it's going to miss. It'll have a tutorial level, it'll have a hint system, the combat will be boiled down to a much more streamlined level. Parry system will probably be either ditched or made so simple that timing doesn't REALLY matter. Health will regen, stats will be condensed to attack, defense, and maybe stamina. Your souls will no longer vanish if you die before you reach them, if you lose them at all upon death. There will be fewer secrets overall, or they will be plainly spelled out somewhere. Being able to be invaded will possibly be an option you can switch on and off. Bosses will still probably be dangerous, but much easier.

This is all my cynical opinion talking, based on my experience with so many other trilogies that have dissapointed me in the third game. I do hope I'm wrong, as I love the first two games. Thankfully, those two games are so deep, I'll continue to play and enjoy them for a good while longer anyway.

Isn't it how economy works for pretty much every industry? If easier gameplay actually appeals to more audience, then we must deal with the fact that we ARE minority indeed.

UrbanRats

That's still stupid. Games don't need "tutorials" where you practice how to run and attack. I don't recall tutorials in classic games like SMW and nobody holds that against it.

It would be absolutely awful if in demon's souls with the turtling blue eyed knight the game outright tells you the strategy to beating it.

That's one huge generalization.
You can surely find elegant ways to incorporate a tutorial, but that doesn't mean games don't need them.
Undead Asylum is nothing more than a tutorial, with a bit less informations than usual and an unusually harder boss (that though has to be avoided).

I think some people are freaking out over nothing and some will obsess over meaningless details, ruining the entire experience for themselves, if this game turns out anything less than perfect.

Chake

Banned
How do we know it's gameplay? Maybe it's the top 10 bosses or something

Don't play with emotions man ....... Don't.

UrbanRats

Sounds like a bunch of twaddle about shit they don't understand. Shields, lol.

The point being made there is larger than shields, if you watched the videos.
They talk about the deliberate pacing offered by the constant stamina management the game forces on you, as opposed to faster action games like Bayonetta or Rising.
They even clearly mention the Darkwood Grain Ring.

How do we know it's gameplay? Maybe it's the top 10 bosses or something

Don't play with emotions man ....... Don't.
We don't, and i have used the term "something" in the title for that very reason.
Though they've already shown a CGi trailer, what else can they go for? As i said, it could be another interview.

Although not necessary, I found myself using Wiki's extensively for both Demon's and Dark Souls.

Read about something, learn how to do it, do it in game, then repeat. While that was fun and I still did my initial play blind without assistance, the desire not to miss anything kept me peeking at Wiki's intermittently.

That's the only thing I suppose needs some work. The Souls series is a masterpiece of this generation, for me. I don't want it easier, just maybe less obscure.

Hope the story telling stays the same, paying attention to items and the environment is way more effective then having it told to you and ignoring it.

Robot Pants

I trust From Software not to repeat it.

That'd be a lot easier to believe if all of a sudden the "suits" didn't get involved and insist Miyazaki step away (even though he still has a decent role) and the new Directors weren't the ones mentioning "accessibility".
Sure, I really hope it turns out to be the same Souls game we all know and love, but there is still a small cause for concern. And with the way things ALWAYS seem to turn out regarding series popularity this generation....

Zeth

I've never been this nervous with anticipation for a game, ever. I hope lightning can strike thrice, but I sometimes worry. I do not envy the people who are in charge of making this game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm scared guys,
I want it to be good but I am so scared. Considering how popular dark souls got and the fact that the original lead dev isn't working on DaSII I just don't know if I should have faith it's going to be another master piece of like dark souls was.

UrbanRats

I'm scared guys,
I want it to be good but I am so scared. Considering how popular dark souls got and the fact that the original lead dev isn't working on DaSII I just don't know if I should have faith it's going to be another master piece of like dark souls was.

Miyazaki was ONE person in an entire team, he was the lead, sure, but he put that vision in place and set the direction, the recent interviews i've read on GAF with the new director are pretty reassuring, frankly, and the "dumbing down" doesn't seem something more than making the tutorial area a bit less cryptic.

Sullichin

If you didn't play Dark Souls with the monitor or tv turned off, you suck.

Wut. Is that in response to my comment? I dislike pre-order bonuses and stuff like that in general, it's nice to have one game that doesn't have that. I don't like to feel like I'm missing out on something in the game because I didn't buy it at a specific time or from a specific retailer.

RooMHM

This video was pathetically bad. And the voiceover was equally low. I can't stand gametrailers voices, they're really getting on my nerves.

Soriku

Except this time the market tie ins will be with funeral services, taking "Prepare to Die" to the next level. Geoff Keighley will do the whole thing while sitting in a coffin.

ibzDiZYlspMZVl.png

The Pope is dead. Long live the Pope.

Top Bottom