• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somewhat Skilled Players Tackle Super Mario Odyssey

djlr181

Forgive me if this doesn't deserve a new thread, but noticed this in another Mario thread and thought it was worth highlighting. Video in post is from VentureBeat.

This video right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axlkzlLwxTg

is the one that alleviated every fear I had about this game. (This is a video of someone just playing through the Sand Kingdom as you or I might - no faffing around, no demo handholding - the player is simply playing through the level, and not badly at that.)

Looks and feels like a much faster paced Mario 64 in spirit and in gameplay. If you still have questions about how Mario Odyssey 'works', how it plays, how moons are found in the world and how levels change when you find the right moons, this is the video to watch.

Two other purer gameplay videos from Nintendo World Report:

Jaxi Driver

Finding Pauline's Band

I speedrun 3D Mario games and also got some time with Mario Odyssey.

I was able to test out most of Mario's movement options with the 10 minutes I spent playing the game.

This is the best 3D Mario has felt since Sunshine. Easily.

Galang

Banned
The gameplay in the quoted video honestly ain't that great... A few of the things they did was frustrating and I wouldn't qualify them as somewhat skilled... but it is better than what we've seen so far, so thanks either way!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yep, loving this real gameplay.

Raysoul

Just watched 30 seconds somewhere in the middle of the video, and yep he is trying to breeze through the level. I don't want to be spoiled, so I would suggest people that are already sold by the game not to watch it.

Teggy

Saw something in there about shaking the joycon to accelerate - will we not be able to play this in portable mode?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man Mario Odyssey is changing some part of the Mario series and yet unlike Breath of the Mild, I was excited to play the game from the day it was announced.

Plus the Sand Kingdom music was pretty great.

Saw something in there about shaking the joycon to accelerate - will we not be able to play this in portable mode?

You can, the motion controls are optional.

Falchion

Awesome. I hated how the Treehouse demos stopped every 10 seconds to harp on the quality of the vine textures on the wall or comment about how immersive the ambient sounds of the level is.

Eh... This is how we're supposed to play? Dude is skipping like 90% of the level. Is he trying to speed run or something? This is not at all how I'll be playing the game.

Neoweee

Eh... This is how we're supposed to play? Dude is skipping like 90% of the level. Is he trying to speed run or something? This is not at all how I'll be playing the game.

They're big, open-world levels. ~50 Moons per level, so he's getting some moons easily while skipping others. He'd have to go back to grab them.

No, this is just a better way to show off more of the game in a 10 minute demo. They do more stuff than most of the videos show because they're trying to speed through the other things that everyone has already done.

Pizza

Well that's stupid.

Mario is neither a hedgehog nor a goron.

That's actually the main reason I still have an aversion to this game. I like moving fast af in a Mario game and if rolling like a moron is the main way to achieve that that's dumb as shit.

Jump-> sliding makes sense. If they didn't want that, they could have had a sprint or boost button.

The rolling looks dumb in concept and even worse when executed well.

Otherwise it looks like an amazing game! I like that the hat stuff seems mostly avoidable too. Fuck rolling.

Pappasman

I thought you were going to post the video of the person who actually knows what they were doing testing all of the movement options.
Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

10 glorious minutes of Mario Odyssey parkour and ninja-like movement.

I tried to address everything in the commentary of the video. Let me know on here if you have any questions.

Also, LOAD UP THE GIFS. No lag after a dive feels WONDERFUL.

Nanashrew

Banned
There's no Anth0ny video here where he talks about Mario's movement and shows off some skill.

EDIT: lol beaten by seconds.

cackhyena

Man Mario Odyssey is changing some part of the Mario series and yet unlike Breath of the Mild, I was excited to play the game from the day it was announced.

Breath of the Mild, huh. Lookit this joker right here.

Dark Cloud said:
Super Mario Godyssey gonna put Breath of the Mild in its place! Hehe
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies...like WRPG fans and JRPG fans! Or Playstation owners and Xbox owners! Or Nintendo fans and Nintendo fans...damn Nintendo fans ruined Nintendo!"

The Dink

Sweet. I played the demo when I was at E3 and it felt like classic Mario 64 so it's good to see speedrunners and the like confirming the mechanics. Gamers are gonna love this as much as the new...

Super Mario Godyssey gonna put Breath of the Mild in its place! Hehe

Goddammit guys...

This video right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axlkzlLwxTg

is the one that alleviated every fear I had about this game. (This is a video of someone just playing through the Sand Kingdom as you or I might - no faffing around, no demo handholding - the player is simply playing through the level, and not badly at that.)

Looks and feels like a much faster paced Mario 64 in spirit and in gameplay. If you still have questions about how Mario Odyssey 'works', how it plays, how moons are found in the world and how levels change when you find the right moons, this is the video to watch.

Holy shit, the music is amazing on this game.

It's really exciting to have a new Mario game coming out that actually moves the series forward in terms of movement options. Sunshine may be rather weak, but it gave you an absurdly godlike move set. Every 3D Mario since has regressed the move set more and more.

Speedruns are gonna be out of this world!

Top Bottom