• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Somewhat Skilled Players Tackle Super Mario Odyssey

Well you just convinced me to buy a switch with that gameplay

Will buy one when this game hits or hopefully another switch revision

If you would like to see how it looks, check Polygon's video of the level - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JHFcn3qWs , I suppose you are referring to that specific area.

Oh, darn, no, I knew about that one.
I meant the one right before the first "objective" moon, near the start.

Here:
SfEFIfd.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Game looks amazing, it's gonna be so full of neat ideas... the ultimate 3D adventure-platformer? I mean, Galaxy is king of the series in my book so I don't share that excitement that it's gonna folllow on 64's footsteps but damn if it ain't looking fab

Ooooh... damn, at least now we know what is there, but now I want to watch a video of it!
There's two "hidden" sections going up that tower. The first one you drop down into and then move to the side. If I remember correctly that's the one with only coins. Then there's the one in the picture and that one you just wait for the moving platform to go over to the other side and use it to get to the other section. You don't have to break anything the wall just becomes transparent and you play normal (I was under the impression that you had to blast that portion of the wall off with a bullet bill but when I tried possessing the nearby one I realized you couldn't change vertical direction to get up there).

ec0ec0

ok, from the first video in the OP:

the rolling:

so i wanted to see how the transition from mario rolling -> mario running at full speed (with his arms fully extended) -> mario going back to his regular running speed, worked. Let's se...

around 5:10 he starts a roll, ends it in flat ground, and mario's full speed run after the roll (with his arms extended), barelly lasts 1 second

around 5:20 he does another roll, but ends this one down hill (you can hear the roll picking up speed as he descends). This time, mario's full speed run after the roll (with his arms extended), lasts almostf 2 full seconds!! (this one looks pretty awesome, if you want to take a look, again, is at 5:20 into the video).

around 5:30 he does another roll, ends it in flat ground, and, like the firt time, mario's full speed run after the roll, barely lasts 1 second

so it's apparent that the time that mario spends running at full spend (with his arms fully extended) right after rolling, depends on the rolls speed right before stopping the roll, and the fastest way of rolling is going down hill.

?

Need confirmation they checked that specific wall. There's another wall on that part that people in videos did check.

Yeah, sorry, since my original post was talking about the 2D pillar I thought the post that replied was also talking about it. My bad!
E: oh wait, it might be that one? Confused now, haha. Can you confirm that the second one is the picture I posted MC?

ok, from the first video in the OP:

the rolling:

around 5:10 he starts a roll, ends it in flat ground, and mario's full speed run after the roll (with his arms extended), barelly lasts 1 second

around 5:20 he does another roll, but ends this one down hill (you can hear the roll picking up speed as he descends). This time, mario's full speed run after the roll (with his arms extended), lasts almostf 2 full seconds!! (this one looks pretty awesome, if you want to take a look, again, is at 5:20 into the video).

around 5:30 he does another roll, ends it in flat ground, and, like the firt time, mario's full speed run after the roll, barely lasts 1 second

so it's apparent that the time that mario spends running at full spend right after rolling (with he's arms extended), depends on the rolls speed prior to stopping the roll, and the fastest way of rolling is going down hill.
The rolling is uninterrupted as long as you continue shaking the joycon and not crash into something if I remember correctly. I know I was rolling for a good while, longer than in that video.

ec0ec0

The rolling is uninterrupted as long as you continue shaking the joycon and not crash into something if I remember correctly. I know I was rolling for a good while, longer than in that video.

oh no, those are moments that i chose, because i wanted to see the transition from rolling to running. There's plenty of other moments in that same video i quoted where he/she is extending the same roll (bouncing) for plenty of time (either by shaking the joycon or repeatedly pressing a button, which i guess will also be an option)

Yeah, sorry, since my original post was talking about the 2D pillar I thought the post that replied was also talking about it. My bad!
E: oh wait, it might be that one? Confused now, haha. Can you confirm that the second one is the picture I posted MC?
This is the first section.

And this is the second section.

oh no, those are moments that i chose, because i wanted to see the transition from rolling to running. There's plenty of other moments in that same video i quoted where he/she is extending the same roll (bouncing) for plenty of time (either by shaking the joycon or repeatedly pressing a button, which i guess will also be an option)
Got it. I misunderstood the intent of the post.

rudger

This is the first real gameplay footage I've seen. The menu is a travel brochure? Does that mean they were hinting at this game since Mario's olympics appearance?

ec0ec0

I posted this in the main mario thread a week ago or so:

To add to mario's moveset, in the following video, you can see mario do the kind of spin that he can do in the new super mario bros series, to stal a bit in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8Q9E-HkIQ

Can be seen at 2:40, 6:53 and 6:57 in the video.

edit:

apparently, it's the animation for catching the hat on mid-air. If you throw your hat while on the ground and the jump, so by the time the hat comes back you're already in mid-air, mario does that animation when catching the hat (he stalls a bit in mid-air).

I wonder if the 2D sections are only in the desert level, or can they be found in all levels? Would be amazing if each world had a couple of 2D levels sprinkled in. So it's like you're getting a 3D and 2D Marios at the same time.

bounchfx

was anyone else kinda weirded out that in the 2d sections crouch was zL instead of down? caught my offguard

edit: in one of the other videos he mentions you can just press down. nice

ec0ec0

jett

D-Member
I posted this in the main mario thread a week ago or so:

To add to mario's moveset, in the following video, you can see mario do the kind of spin that he can do in the new super mario bros series, to stal a bit in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8Q9E-HkIQ

Can be seen at 2:40, 6:53 and 6:57 in the video.

Seemed appropiate for this thread.

That just seems to be his animation for catching his hat in mid-air. Which may have a further purpose, I guess!

ec0ec0

That just seems to be his animation for catching his hat in mid-air. Which may have a further purpose, I guess!

oh, i hadn't thought about that, i think you are right. It seems like the easiest way to get that animation would be to throw the hat while on the ground and then jump, so by the time it goes back, you're in mid air. There does not seems to be a special catch animation, if you're on the ground.

Anyway, i saw many other videos, yet i only saw it happen in that one, that's why i inmediatly thought that it was a move on it's own.

ec0ec0

Awesome! Though there still doesn't appear to be one for New Dong City.

i saw at least one, in New Dong City, in an underground section, in one of the many gameplay videos that i saw around e3 (at least that's what i'm remembering right now). You picked music notes from a 2d section on the wall (there was a pipe on each side, one to enter the 2d section, one to exit it), you came out of the wall, and picked the remainder notes in 3d. Obviously, i don't know what video it was, there were too many.

Someone else will have to confirm it. *waits*

ec0ec0

Is there any gameplay of someone finishing the inverted pyramid?

obviously yes, but i don't know if there's someone beating the whole level from beginning to end in a single 10 minute video, though. Watching more than one video, there's footchage of every part of the deset level (including bonus levels and such). It's just that there's so many f*cking videos. Just do a search on youtube for super mario odyssey, to find a video that continues where the one in the OP left. The demo that the press got to play only lasted 10 minutes. I don't rememeber what parts of the level Nintendo showed on the treehouse stream, but you can take a look at nintendo's youtube cannel. Unlike the press, they spent more than 10 minutes on the same level.

ameleco

obviously yes, but i don't know if there's someone beating the whole level from beginning to end in a single 10 minute video, though. Watching more than one video, there's footchage of every part of the deset level (including bonus levels and such). It's just that there's so many f*cking videos. Just do a search on youtube for super mario odyssey, to find a video that continues where the one in the OP left. The demo that the press got to play only lasted 10 minutes. I don't rememeber what parts of the level Nintendo showed on the treehouse stream, but you can take a look at nintendo's youtube cannel. Unlike the press, they spent more than 10 minutes on the same level.

I found one where it ended at a door leading out of the pyramid (I think) but maybe there's not one of whats at the top of the pyramid? Boss fight?

Jk found one! Also you were right. It was on treehouse lol

Cuburt

I definitely enjoy the movement options from Mario 64/Sunshine much more than what they went with for 3D Land/World.

I don't have a preference for open world levels, but if they bring back all the triple jumps, backflips, long jumps, etc. that's what I want from a 3D Mario.

RagnarokX

I definitely enjoy the movement options from Mario 64/Sunshine much more than what they went with for 3D Land/World.

I don't have a preference for open world levels, but if they bring back all the triple jumps, backflips, long jumps, etc. that's what I want from a 3D Mario.

3D World had all of that except for the triple jump, and they only nixed that because it could mess with your precision platforming.

Top Bottom