• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

Zilch

Banned
giggas said:
:lol hahahah... yeah I'm a little slow sometimes. Hahaha. I don't remember them saying much about the team that is working on the game. Sorry dude.

If you do a google search for "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" you'll find the contents of your first post re-posted on every forum and gaming blog covering the game. Kinda funny how quickly info disseminates from GAF.

giggas

Zilch said:
If you do a google search for "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" you'll find the contents of your first post re-posted on every forum and gaming blog covering the game. Kinda funny how quickly info disseminates from GAF.

You want to know the best part? Like the moron I can be sometimes (as you already know) I put "8 characters" and I listed Amy twice... counting Amy twice in my head as I wrote it... and that typo has spilled out along with the info. Hahahaha. That actually makes it kind of better, even though it makes me look like a fool. :lol :lol

jman2050

Zilch said:

Well, I made sure the info got to some of the Sonic circles I'm in, and I'm sure it spread from there. I assume many others in this thread had the same idea.

Congratulations giggas, you are now an internet celebrity (I apologize in advance :lol)

TreIII

Zilch said:

You ain't never lied. Just among places like FAQs and Sonic Stadium, it has already lit up like proverbial wildfire.

...once again proving that....

GAF > internet > GAF > 2ch > GAF > Al Gore :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I realize that by this point the tower of cynicism propping up anything with Sonic the Hedgehog stamped on it is very tall - and with /good/ reason. However, I'm actually excited here. Why? One, and only one reason.

For the first time in years, Sega is handing a Sonic game to a developer who is more than a B+, /at best/, studio / team.

I'm not even the world's biggest Bioware fanboy... but they're worlds better than almost anyone else who's touched Sonic IP lately, including, tragically, the farce that Sonic Team has become.

giggas

Penguin said:
Can you post other info from mag?

Do they talk much about the Star Wars game and Okami?

Actually, there's a rather awesome Okami preview in there. It's not so much a preview as it is pages of the upcoming Okami artbook. There is basically 6 pages of straight up design work from the game with a small interview with someone at RAD. He does say that they would love to put progressive scan and widescreen in the game.

Just a small preview on Star Wars. The most interesting thing is that waggle for the lightsaber, it should know swinging from right to left, left to right, up, down, and thrusting forward. There's also an "exclusive" Duel mode for the Wii version that's a one on one waggle-fest. Only two in game shots, I think the rest is art/renders.

There's also a preview of Alone in the Dark. Haven't read it yet, but there's a bunch of screens. It looks decent for what it is I guess.

Other than that, haven't read much from the issue.

D-X

Big the Cat works well as a comedy character. In SA1 he was just plain annoying in SA2 (Dreamcast version) I thought Sonic Team realised this hence his cameos. His appearance in Heroes was just to fill the line up roster and again he is back to being a comedy cameo character in The Secret Rings. I'll be interested to see what Bioware have in mind for him.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Xav said:
Bioware can have the spin dash as an attack, add in a Green Hill remix and thrown in a storyline involving falling in love with humans (Sonic 2006 style) but I doubt they'll convince me that the addition of the Sonic universe was a good one other than to sell more copies of this game.

I personally wouldn't have had a problem with it if their gameplay ideas meshed well with the ideals of Sonic. BioWare could have really done something different by having a simple, speed-based action RPG. But instead it sounds like they're trying to make something like Crono Trigger with a stylus. Which woulda been fine by me if Sonic wasn't involved.

giggas

ZealousD said:
I personally wouldn't have had a problem with it if their gameplay ideas meshed well with the ideals of Sonic. BioWare could have really done something different by having a simple, speed-based action RPG. But instead it sounds like they're trying to make something like Crono Trigger with a stylus. Which woulda been fine by me if Sonic wasn't involved.

In the write up they actually go into a bit of detail as to why they chose to go turn based instead of real time battles.

TreIII

giggas said:
In the write up they actually go into a bit of detail as to why they chose to go turn based instead of real time battles.

Oh, really? Mind telling us a bit why?

I mean, I'm open because it's BioWare, but I was honestly expecting anything more akin to Jade Empire, or hell, Tales, if they were trying to go with a "J-RPG" flavor of any sort.

giggas

TreIII said:
Oh, really? Mind telling us a bit why?

I mean, I'm open because it's BioWare, but I was honestly expecting anything more akin to Jade Empire, or hell, Tales, if they were trying to go with a "J-RPG" flavor of any sort.

They said "With a completely real time system that uses a party, you become limited in terms of what the player can keep track of. If you have Sonic moving superfast and three other characters all doing their thing, it overwhelms the player."

Oh yeah I just read this in the back of the issue. Could be another huge goodie next month:

"Next month's cover story is an RPG so fantastic, so engrossing, so epic, and so hush-hush that we'd have to erase your memories if we told you what it is. In fact, maybe we already did. Role-playing fans, get ready for a big one."

Monolith Megaton Confirmed?!?

ethelred

giggas said:
They said "With a completely real time system that uses a party, you become limited in terms of what the player can keep track of. If you have Sonic moving superfast and three other characters all doing their thing, it overwhelms the player."

Oh yeah I just read this in the back of the issue. Could be another huge goodie next month:

"Next month's cover story is an RPG so fantastic, so engrossing, so epic, and so hush-hush that we'd have to erase your memories if we told you what it is. In fact, maybe we already did. Role-playing fans, get ready for a big one."

Monolith is completely incapable of making a game like that.

Matsunoton?

A few scans of art and screenshots are up on a certain "evil" forum.

There's no way that that mystery game could live up to that kind of hype. At least this is NP, not ONM UK, so it'll probably actually make it into the magazine.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
giggas said:

Hmm..wonder if this will be revealed in Japan pretty soon.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ethelred said:
Monolith is completely incapable of making a game like that.

Matsunoton?

They have. It was called BKO.

Tri Crescendo was also there though so maybe you are right

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
traveler said:
Didn't Surfer Girl mention something about a new Golden Sun? Could this be it?

Did she? She also mentioned Skies of Arcadia sequel for Wii as well..

duckroll

HK-47 said:
They have. It was called BKO.

Tri Crescendo was also there though so maybe you are right
ivysaur12 said:
BKO. I know you think it's average, but the general consensus says otherwise.

No, the general consensus is that the game wasn't even worth buying, hence the super low sales. I guess they went a little far in removing people's memories so no one even considered buying the game! :lol

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
No, the general consensus is that the game wasn't even worth buying, hence the super low sales. I guess they went a little far in removing people's memories so no one even considered buying the game! :lol

Wait, only shit games sell poorly? Wow, thanks duck!

EDIT: You are really pissed about Super Robot Wars, aren't you?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:

Oh go rag on Scamco and Mistwalker will ya =P

ethelred

Sonic Chronicles looks really great.

HK-47 said:
They have.

'Fraid not.

ivysaur12 said:
BKO. I know you think it's average, but the general consensus says otherwise.

I don't think it's average. I think it's above average, actually. It is, however, nowhere near the level of quality that the hypeline there describes. And the general consensus is, frankly, pretty much a handful of Nintendo fans plus Dragona. :p

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
Wait, only shit games sell poorly? Wow, thanks duck!

EDIT: You are really pissed about Super Robot Wars, aren't you?

I didn't say it was shitty, I just pointed out that it can't be general consensus if most people never played the game. It's a simple fact. I don't throw niche games I like around as games that FACTUALLY are fucking amazing by popular opinion because... they aren't popular to begin with!

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
I didn't say it was shitty, I just pointed out that it can't be general consensus if most people never played the game. It's a simple fact. I don't throw niche games I like around as games that FACTUALLY are fucking amazing by popular opinion because... they aren't popular to begin with!

I was going by GAF opinion, nothing else. And most people who've played it on GAF agree on its quality. That's all.

ethelred said:
I don't think it's average. I think it's above average, actually. It is, however, nowhere near the level of quality that the hypeline there describes. And the general consensus is, frankly, pretty much a handful of Nintendo fans plus Dragona. :p

Oh boo. I don't think Eternal Rice has played it :p

Amir0x

Banned
i remember the time when i thought ivysaur was a BK viral marketer, since all the first like fifteen threads he made at neoGAF were about Baten Kaitos.

B.K.

giggas said:

Final Fantasy VII remake?

ivysaur12

Banned
Amir0x said:
i remember the time when i thought ivysaur was a BK viral marketer, since all the first like fifteen threads he made at neoGAF were about Baten Kaitos.

Hey, when one of your favorite games sells like shit, you do something about it.

Rlan

The fact that Big the Cat is in it should hopefully mean they're not taking it too seriously, which is why I like SRA quite a bit.

Though the fact that at the very beginning they mention "years" is usually a poor decision, because then you fuck everything up for those who take the story half-seriously [not me :)].

Paper Marios sort of went a bit dark at the end there with the Dark Princess. Hell even Mario Galaxy was dark at it was Awesome!

PS. Zav, you're crazy. Sonic Advance 3 was a pile of shit. The team stuff was absolute garbage and plain didn't work, and they added more shit in the road and more death pits. It was garbage all around.

Meanwhile Sonic Rush games are the best since Sonic 3&K.

Hey, I just realized something.

This is the first time NP has exclusive news that we actually care about in a very, very long time.

I think I'll buy the magazine if I see it in a store.

Avrum

giggas said:

Here's to hoping it's not my first thought considering their "clue" there...

Wii version of Kingdom Hearts re: Chain of Memories. Though I suppose that wouldn't make much sense seeing as there are no Wii versions of KH or KH II to begin with.

Top Bottom