• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Colors - E3 Trailer + screens

Rafaelcsa

AniHawk said:
No fucking stupid hub world
No fucking stupid medals needed to unlock levels
No fucking stupid werehog levels
No fucking stupid "real world" locales

For sure. I can't believe I'm actually interested in a Sonic game. I'm not even a big fan of the classic games, much less the 3D entries. I tried Unleashed but didn't go further than the 3rd level or so, that's how much I was enjoying it. But everytime I watch a video of Sonic Colors I feel compelled to play it. I'm confused. :lol

It also doesn't seem to have terrible music this time. The orchestrated menu music in Unleashed was a big turn off to me. It was horrible. Secret Rings had that god-awful menu song as well. Sonic Colors seems to have good music, from what I've heard of it. What the hell is going on!?

Even the one story cutscene I've watched on Youtube felt appropriate, because at the same time it didn't take itself seriously and wasn't completely retarded. I'm the first person to want story out of my games, especially platformers, but I wouldn't mind more of these, actually, if they can keep them short and fun (like Kirby's Epic Yarn does, for example). I'm completely shocked at this game. It almost seems that Sega hired Nintendo to create it. :lol

AniHawk said:

Not to mention less stupid QTE events... I hope :lol

Sciz

Iknos said:
In what ways is this better than Unleashed...

Looks the same except you dig underground in 2D sections.
It's something like 70% 2D, 30% 3D, and there are big flashing warning signs when something can instakill you.

Kard8p3

Sciz said:
It's something like 70% 2D, 30% 3D, and there are big flashing warning signs when something can instakill you.

And to add to this the game has much more platforming according to the NP reviewer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just got Unleashed 360. Gonna play it for the new few days up until Colors comes out.

Doorman

Rafaelcsa said:
It also doesn't seem to have terrible music this time. The orchestrated menu music in Unleashed was a big turn off to me. It was horrible. Secret Rings had that god-awful menu song as well. Sonic Colors seems to have good music, from what I've heard of it. What the hell is going on!?
For what it's worth, even if the orchestrated style of music felt odd for a Sonic game, I thought that the actual in-level themes, in particular the daytime stages, were pretty damn good. I certainly enjoy that style of soundtrack more than the rock style they were going with previously.

I've only heard a little bit of the music so far from Colors, but it hasn't been bad, at least.

Iknos

AniHawk said:

Talking about gameplay...how is it different gameplay wise?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Iknos said:
A much higher focus on 2D gameplay, with some actual stopping to interact with your surroundings. And the controls for doing that look a lot better. Unleashed's 2D was kind of a joke.

AniHawk

Iknos said:

Well in addition to more of it being 2D and about platforming, you can also use wisps to explore levels for hidden goodies that open up more platforming in the multiplayer. Wisps aren't necessary though, so if you want to rush through a level, you can do that, and if you want to go drilling underground, you can do that too.

Also, Sonic has a double jump this time. I know some people don't like it, but it will change things up.

Iknos

The_Technomancer said:
A much higher focus on 2D gameplay, with some actual stopping to interact with your surroundings. And the controls for doing that look a lot better. Unleashed's 2D was kind of a joke.

AniHawk said:
Well in addition to more of it being 2D and about platforming, you can also use wisps to explore levels for hidden goodies that open up more platforming in the multiplayer. Wisps aren't necessary though, so if you want to rush through a level, you can do that, and if you want to go drilling underground, you can do that too.

Also, Sonic has a double jump this time. I know some people don't like it, but it will change things up.

Makes me wonder why they left the 3d sections in there...those where horrible in Unleashed.

Been checking out vids and I can see how the 2D has been improved by just looking at the 2D level design which looks less linear.

It just looks like our standards have been dropped to rock bottom for Sonic games that anything looks good at this point. Looks like Sonic team doesn't really know what to do so they go off on this random tangents like digging underground.

RobbieNick

Iknos said:
Makes me wonder why they left the 3d sections in there...those where horrible in Unleashed.

Your opinions are now officially invalid. GTFO.

Sonic 's levels in Unleashed were the best 3-D Sonic levels ever.

Personally, I wish SEGA would start a new american team from the ground up and pay a pretty penny while doing so. I would prefer them to do so with the intent on creating new IP in a genre where they currently are not strong.

Sega is just no good at implementing proper analog, so Unleashed suffered big time for it, for me at least. For a game that moves that fast, you need a good deal of precision, especially when advanced play comes into the picture, and the most perfect Sega game I've ever played control wise was F-Zero(which shocked the hell out of me).

The comment about Sonic controlling like a wet bar of soap was really spot on...

Well I've beaten about 4 worlds so far and am pretty disappointed. The levels haven't been near up to par with the "day" levels in Sonic Unleashed. Overall it's a better game simply because there is no werehog levels but the levels just seem "off" in this game. maybe it's the controls. Sonic Team seems to change the way sonic handles in every game for some odd reason. I thought he handled best in the Sonic Adventure series but I may not be in the majority on that one. One way or another though Sonic Team needs to be more consistant on that.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
perfectchaos007 said:
Well I've beaten about 4 worlds so far and am pretty disappointed. The levels haven't been near up to par with the "day" levels in Sonic Unleashed. Overall it's a better game simply because there is no werehog levels but the levels just seem "off" in this game. maybe it's the controls. Sonic Team seems to change the way sonic handles in every game for some odd reason. I thought he handled best in the Sonic Adventure series but I may not be in the majority on that one. One way or another thought Sonic Team needs to be more consistant on that.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=24200923#post24200923

OT is over yonder, man.

Top Bottom