• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Green Hill Gameplay

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Man such a fuss about the first level a game what do you guys want from sonic. And i dont believe sonic was stoping on his own when he hit those enemies i think it was the player.
Being a first level doesn't excuse bad design. In fact a first level should make a good impression and set the tone for the rest of the game.

Jaymageck

Yeah no it doesnt

like at all

Yes it does.

Perhaps not if you didn't read my post and didn't realize I meant the boost-focused gameplay vs. the momentum-based gameplay of classic Sonic in Generations.

But that's what I meant. And that's why this totally looks like (the bad) Sonic 4.

A lot of people don't seem to get that the 'feel' of a Sonic game is really what it comes down to. It doesn't matter if it "Looks like Sonic". Every Sonic game looks like Sonic. But the physics and how you gather speed is crucial to the feel. And it's why the DIMPS games don't "feel like" the classic games.

But it's not because the classic games are better because they're classic. It's because the classic games have genuine effort and polish in their gameplay and level design. That's what Mania has. It has heart and soul poured into it. And you can tell.

nkarafo

Generations is an important example of why level design is the most important thing in Sonic. Generations physics are awful; like so bad they should ruin the game. But the level design is so good at making it feel like classic Sonic that it carries the game.

Forces actually appears to have improved physics, but the level design is really bad and the music made my ears gush fountains of blood.
Sonic Generations also had more verticallity, more paths, more slopes, less straight/boxy platforms, etc. Forces design looks as generic as it can get.

Yukinari

Man such a fuss about the first level a game what do you guys want from sonic. And i dont believe sonic was stoping on his own when he hit those enemies i think it was the player.

Maybe Sonic fans dont want Green Hill again with worse music?

No seriously what is this music.

I'd say those invisible springs are more of a hindrance, maybe as an attempt to punish you for being dumb and not jumping when you see you need to jump by slowing you down, I dunno, that's just how I saw them.

exfatal

hoping mania becomes sega's best selling sonic game in years,
and this turd will flop.

so sega would get the message <3

what messenger keep pandering to nostalgia fans? This game is almost guaranteed to sell better the mania can ever hope.
Mind you i'm getting both games

I'd say those invisible springs are more of a hindrance, maybe as an attempt to punish you for being dumb and not jumping when you see you need to jump by slowing you down, I dunno, that's just how I saw them.
You see folks? Take a minute to think and it becomes clear.. this guy gets it..

What do we (well, I) want? Not much, really, just...

-Good physics and controls, momentum based gameplay
-Good, readable visuals
-Good level design and enemy placement
-An engaging looking challenge
-Good music and audio mixing

Basically, all of the stuff that you don't see in that video.

Seriously though from the first level you're suppose to get the feel for the game... the only thing they fucked up on is the music the visuals look great were you guys looking at the 720 60fps video?

thefil

Looks fun to me, don't mind the music either.

FWIW my favourite Sonic games are Generations, Adventure, 06 and Rush.

eXistor

Looks like the same shit rehashed...again. Man, when are we gonna get a truly great and original Sonic game again? It's only been what, 23 years? I certainly wouldn't count Generations or Colors as great, not even remotely tbh, those games are complete jank.

I guess Sonic Mania is gonna be good, but that's mostly just remixed old levels again. I want a game like that, but 100% new and original. Maybe if Mania does well, we'll get one like that.

Looks like the same shit rehashed...again. Man, when are we gonna get a truly great and original Sonic game again? It's only been what, 23 years? I certainly wouldn't count Generations or Colors as great, not even remotely tbh, those games are complete jank.

Again, Sonic Mania.

Looks fun to me, don't mind the music either.

FWIW my favourite Sonic games are Generations, Adventure, 06 and Rush.

8fb.png

I like the visuals and unlike some I don't have an issue with them using Green Hill Zone again.
Unfortunately that's where my praise ends. The level design looks completely uninspired and the music is god awful.

Elija2

I can't believe they brought back the invisible springs from Lost World. Such a dumb and frustrating design choice.

And yeah, I'm really not liking what this game is shaping up to be. Maybe next time.

HonMirin

The music, the gameplay, the looks... It's not right.
I agree... It feels like there's missing animations. I recall when Sonic would hit a spring that would thrust him forwards in the air he would ride with it, arms behind his back, head up. Here he just slow runs in the air. He hits springs and there's a temporary speed boost then he slows down. Sonic would hit speed boosts and run so fast he would almost leave the screen. And there was always a sense he could go that little bit faster. Here... Looks like he has a speed limiter attached...

Also.. Who thought it was a great idea to remind everyone about Episode 4? Why include music from a strongly disliked sequel?

So far I'm disappointed. And I was optimistic about this latest entry, that they had learned lessons.

Bleh. Really glad we're getting Mania because Sonic Team still doesn't know how to do classic Sonic justice. Regardless Mania would become a thing or no, they should had just focused on making a game based solely around boost/current Sonic.

Everything just looks like some sort of bad attempt to fudge 2D gameplay from Lost World, Sonic 4, and Generations together, and I'm not just referring to the artstyle. The level design looks large and non-linear in structure like in Generations...but it also has Lost World's mostly flat terrain, invisible/automated springs, and heavy focus on precision platforming,, and has dash panels and scripts out the wazoo like in Sonic 4. Physics at least in rolling and the spindash look like Generations used as a base...but the aerial movement when he jumps (especially when he rebounds after jumping on top of enemies) looks straight out of Lost World too, its really rigid and stiff, like its lacking in horizontal momentum. Though when he hits badniks from the side, he just phases through them for some reason. As for the music....the Sonic 4 comparisons are pretty spot on. Sounds like a few cat / duck synths away from feeling right in place with Sylvania Castle.

It graphically does looks more lively than what we saw in the Nintendo Direct footage, and it looks like they finally got a spindash that isn't underpowered like Sonic 4 or overpowered like Generations...that's all of the positives I got.

And anyone who's seriously arguing Sonic's physics weren't/aren't important is either arguing in bad faith or has no clue what they're talking about. Physics from the original Genesis games were and still are part and parcel of what made Sonic (through his rolling /bouncing abilities) stand out from other platformers back then; even today you still have several games used fixed jumps, there are few if any non-Sonic titles that allow the player to use momentum to play around with the environment or just blaze through levels the way those games do.

If you want to argue that these physics are fine for the game, that's one thing; but to actually claim they were never important to Sonic gameplay is complete arrogance.

You guys act like Sonic Team is a reputable developer that often makes good games or something.

Like, 1/10 of their games are 'pretty good'. I expect 65 metacritic and sonic mania to be the far better sonic game this year.

When you look at the quality of Sonic Mania, and how well-received it's been, and then compare it to what Sonic Team puts out and how utterly unimpressive it is... surely someone with pocketbook control at Sega has to be asking themselves why they let Iizuka and co. keep doing this shit when half a dozen indie devs are doing a better job.

No disagreements here.

LordKasual

Banned
Yes it does.

Perhaps not if you didn't read my post and didn't realize I meant the boost-focused gameplay vs. the momentum-based gameplay of classic Sonic in Generations.

yeah still doesn't look anything like Sonic 4

"gathering speed" has been relatively trivial in sonic games ever since sonic 2 introduced the spindash

and seeing as the person playing the demo in this video rarely ever jumps or rolls unless forced to and doesn't seem to be making any attempt to speedrun the stage, i really don't see how you're making objective statements on this game's "momentum based gameplay"

especially since this is the first time that seemingly accurate momentum has been displayed in a 2.5D sonic game whle running AND rolling, there are slopes and loops where sonic very clearly gains, loses, and maintains speed

you're looking at act 1-1 played by a PR demo person, not a sonic fanatic who has spent years around communities that have reverse engineered the mechanics of the game down to the tile programming

Edit:

And at the absolute pinnicle of classic sonic gameplay, momentum is more a matter of knowing when to spindash and jump rather than all this other stuff. I understand you love the classics, but it sounds like you're gassing them up just a bit too much.

EDIT AGAIN:

And classic sonic in Generations didn't even have momentum based gameplay, rolling was trash and most of the slopes felt scripted

Griss

I don't understand Sonic games, they're very Kirby-eqsue in level design simplicity and lack of challenge. At least Kirby is about something; experimenting with power ups and obstacles designed around particular ones. I fail to see the point of the mechanics other than keeping them for the sake of tradition. Is Sonic mainly a platformer based around the jump button? If it's about speed, then why is it impossible to maintain it? Perhaps it's about overcoming obstacles using momentum, then what's up with all the parts that are practically on-rails? I think this format of Sonic is better suited as a runners game, that way you get the speed and a game designed entirely around maintaining it. I just can't get around this lack of direction and cohesiveness in its design.

Originally the games were about two 'sections':
-Sections where you'd try to go as fast as possible and maintain your momentum while collecting as many rings as you could to get a 1up or enter a bonus level, AND
-Sections where you'd slow down and have to do some precision platforming mixed with enemy encounters.

That was what the first four 3d games were all about. Since then, I completely agree with your criticism of the game design - it's aimless and unfocused. And I also agree that the core idea of it suits a runner game.

I felt like Rayman Legends infinity run challenges (and some normal levels if speed-running them) nailed the idea of Sonic better than pretty much any Sonic game

https://youtu.be/vJt58JKnp6I?t=202

Gotta go fast, intricate challenges where keeping momentum was not only possible but required for a vast majority of it. Sonic has these unnecessary things that stop Sonic right at its tracks (I know there's probably some speed runners/pro players who can do everything without stopping much, but I dunno, it never clicked to me) which, to me, always ruined what the game was going for and I dunno, the level designs also don't really support the fast speed either, with constant obstacles that just bring Sonic to a complete halt, which isn't fun in a game like Sonic, imho. The too narrow FOV also feeds into this, spikes & shit just kind of comes out of nowhere or are waiting below the screen where the player can't possibly see them until they are already dropping on them, instead of being these things that require presision but are manageable even when you don't have the layout of the levels memorized. In addition to that, Sonic never really felt good to control when NOT going fast. There's just something I don't like with the jumping physics even in older Sonic games.

Totally agree. Rayman nailed it in a way Sonic never did. Origins and Legends are fantastic games with a coherent design based on tight player controls that modern Sonic games could only wish for.

On a fundamental level I don't have a problem with Sonic games that have slightly different physics than the classic games. What I do have a major problem with is that large chunks of level design from classic titles are used but the physics system is not able to cope with that level design, and so bandaid fixes and scripting are shoved in every few moments to make it 'work'.

Look at the S shaped tunnel Sonic walks in at 0:40:

https://youtu.be/q1wYD5b4VUw?t=39s

This piece of level design actually had a function in Sonic 1. The faster you went in the more speed you gained and the higher you launched into a bunch of rings at the end. Here it's irrelevant what speed Sonic is going at as he enters the tunnel because there's a script that automatically sets his speed to max. Then we have a boost pad at the end because Sonic Team played this section, realised he won't have the speed needed to clear the loop right after the S tunnel and so stuck a boost pad there as a bandaid fix.

There's no point in the S shaped tunnel being in this game if it can't be used to gain speed natually. If they're just going to use scripts and boost pads anyway it serves no function other than to look different.

They literally have to get the game to play itself in these instances to make the level design work correctly and to me that's a failure of game design.

This is a super example of why the game design is so poor. Well done.

Baleoce

On a fundamental level I don't have a problem with Sonic games that have slightly different physics than the classic games. What I do have a major problem with is that large chunks of level design from classic titles are used but the physics system is not able to cope with that level design, and so bandaid fixes and scripting are shoved in every few moments to make it 'work'.

This piece of level design actually had a function in Sonic 1. The faster you went in the more speed you gained and the higher you launched into a bunch of rings at the end. Here it's irrelevant what speed Sonic is going at as he enters the tunnel because there's a script that automatically sets his speed to max. Then we have a boost pad at the end because Sonic Team played this section, realised he won't have the speed needed to clear the loop right after the S tunnel and so stuck a boost pad there as a bandaid fix.

There's no point in the S shaped tunnel being in this game if it can't be used to gain speed natually. If they're just going to use scripts and boost pads anyway it serves no function other than to look different.

They literally have to get the game to play itself in these instances to make the level design work correctly and to me that's a failure of game design.

Absolutely spot on.

delta_reg

Seriously what the heck is going on with the movement in that trailer? There's no momentum coming out of the tunnels and from the speed boosts, his running just slows like Sonic can't handle the speed or something. It just looks awkward. I know it's just a short look but there was absolutely nothing there that looked better than Generations, and the level design looked worse.

Yesyesyes

We really don't need Green Hill redone again, Emerald Hill fills a similar thematic role while being something else for once

???

Seriously what is different about Emerald Hill? Different checkered patterns on the ground?

I can't comprehend this "oh not Green Hill again, better change it up with Green Hill" notion

Septic360

Banned
Sonic was supposed to beat Mario!!! All those bloody schoolyard arguments and for what!

You were supposed to win Sonic! Not try and deperately match the quality of your efforts from 20 years ago!

Why?!!!!!

Thank you. Sega, please build a proper physics system for your game before building levels and stuff. This is just haphazard game design from the ground up.

I noticed Sonic Mania doesn't have "cheats" like this. It also looks 1,000 times better.

I felt like Rayman Legends infinity run challenges (and some normal levels if speed-running them) nailed the idea of Sonic better than pretty much any Sonic game

https://youtu.be/vJt58JKnp6I?t=202

Gotta go fast, intricate challenges where keeping momentum was not only possible but required for a vast majority of it. Sonic has these unnecessary things that stop Sonic right at its tracks (I know there's probably some speed runners/pro players who can do everything without stopping much, but I dunno, it never clicked to me) which, to me, always ruined what the game was going for and I dunno, the level designs also don't really support the fast speed either, with constant obstacles that just bring Sonic to a complete halt, which isn't fun in a game like Sonic, imho. The too narrow FOV also feeds into this, spikes & shit just kind of comes out of nowhere or are waiting below the screen where the player can't possibly see them until they are already dropping on them, instead of being these things that require presision but are manageable even when you don't have the layout of the levels memorized. In addition to that, Sonic never really felt good to control when NOT going fast. There's just something I don't like with the jumping physics even in older Sonic games.

Sonic is not an autorunner.

Speed gives you access to a higher, more rewarding paths while exploring levels. Also high speed sections often hides other paths aswell. At least 2D Classic Sonic. Also, almost every badniks in Sonic games can be destroyed while rolling, without losing speed.

2D Classic Sonic never was about high speed obstacles courses.

You know how in Portal, it's fun to build up momentum by hurling yourself into a bunch of portals over and over?

Well, imagine going through a portal and then instantly going super extremely fast with no build up. That's what Sonic has become.

LordKasual

Banned
Sonic is not an autorunner.

Speed gives you access to a higher, more rewarding paths while exploring levels. Also high speed sections often hides other paths aswell. At least 2D Classic Sonic. Also, almost every badniks in Sonic games can be destroyed while rolling, without losing speed.

2D Classic Sonic never was about high speed obstacles courses.

platforming was way more important to reaching high sections than speed ever was

the amount of times you roll off a slope into a high point on the map is relatively low in sonic games, in fact i'm having a hard time even thinking of one that isn't in like the first stage

platforming was way more important to reaching high sections than speed ever was

the amount of times you roll off a slope into a high point on the map is relatively low in sonic games, in fact i'm having a hard time even thinking of one that isn't in like the first stage
Sonic 2 has a pretty cool one towards the beginning in Chemical Plant.

oti

Banned
If you read the thread and turn off caps lock, you'd probably understand some gripes people are having with the footage.
That the gameplay looks bad, like every Sonic game? That the music sounds bad? Like every Sonic game?

I'M REALLY ANGRY THAT PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS ABOUT SOMETHING I CHOOSE TO BE AGGRESSIVELY IGNORANT ABOUT
I've played my fair share of Sonic games over the years. Including Generations, which is said to be one of the better ones. I wouldn't call myself aggressively ignorant. I'm just trying to see what you fans see in this and other than nostalgia I can't explain why people still care about it. I remember all the hype about Sonic 4 and how that tuned out too.

I don't mind you liking Sonic, I just don't understand what Sonic fans even want at this point. All of this looks the same. I can't be the only one.

Nepenthe

They're kinda all over the place in Sonic 3.

Anyway, does my heart good to see people on GAF being critical of Gens' version of Classic Sonic. Maybe we can finally purge this completely useless and arbitrary gameplay split from the ST games and get to work on a single solitary gameplay style that incorporates a few classic elements back into an actual 3D environment, like the good ol' days.

Maybe.

whipihguh

Banned
I wish Sonic was stuck in the past. The games in the past were great.

Sonic mania however is stuck in the past and it looks fantastic.

Sonic Mania has actually shown more unique ideas than Forces has at this point to, ironically.

It's really starting to feel like the main Sonic Team doesn't really have any new ideas to bring Sonic's gameplay forward in 3D. Modern Sonic + Clasdic Sonic was fine enough for an anniversary title, but the only thing they have now is the same + a third character? Hopefully that third character shows some fresh new ideas, but it seems that Sonic Team proper has just kind of coasted on the basics they established in Unleashed. Hell, Colors added some interesting additions to the formula, but that was the storyboard team.

Thank you. Sega, please build a proper physics system for your game before building levels and stuff. This is just haphazard game design from the ground up.

I noticed Sonic Mania doesn't have "cheats" like this. It also looks 1,000 times better.

I'm actually kinda amazed they haven't managed to build a proper physics system after all this time. I feel like the lack thereof has been a significant complaint for years now.

Those moments of speed lack any satisfaction when its just scripting accomplishing it for you.

"gathering speed" has been relatively trivial in sonic games ever since sonic 2 introduced the spindash

Edit:

And at the absolute pinnicle of classic sonic gameplay, momentum is more a matter of knowing when to spindash and jump rather than all this other stuff. I understand you love the classics, but it sounds like you're gassing them up just a bit too much.

Sonic 2's introduction of the spindash does make gaining momentum/speed more easy than finding a spot to roll, but I'd argue it's nowhere near the gameplay-refocusing tool as you're making it out to be.

Sonic 2's levels are still designed around the core mechanics, the game is still entirely playable without using the spindash. It's true the spin dash can be used to get a boost in speed without building momentum, but it's not like the levels and the move are designed so that you can just spam it anywhere and clear levels solely by using the move without any risk. The move also actually holds contrast to its design, you also can't just initiate the spin dash when you're running/rolling any time; you have to actually stop and charge it for a bit before you can get decent speed with it.

Same applies to Sonic 3&K for the most part. There are some obstacles in some paths where you do need to use the move to proceed (like the breakable walls in Angel Island), but they're thankfully very rare moments throughout the game. Sonic CD as well but that's admittedly a different kettle of fish due to how the level design is built and the different physics/spindash in that game (prior to the Taxman remake altered an alternative similar to the later games).

If you want to criticize a Sonic game where the spindash does apply as overpowered or rewriting the game's gameplay focus, that honor goes to Generations. You can just start the spindash regardless if you're running or rolling, and the move is strong enough you can use it to literally leap over levels; and the rolling physics aren't good enough to properly get around anywhere without using it.

Guess Who

Banned

This is a quality post.

This is surprising.

I'm okay with the music but it really gives off Sonic 4 vibes which most of fanbase hated so, if it is indicative of entire game, why? What really concerns me personally is physics and specifically a lot of Sonic halting, it seems even more pronounced than in Generations. Or is that supposed to be a "twist"?

I agree with the band-aid level design notion, that was one thing that Generations' classic acts contained but it wasn't as obvious/annoying at least. For what it's worth, Sonic 1's implementation of the slide tube wasn't just straight application of in-game ground physics from what I remember, but regardless it was definitely less abrupt.

It honestly sounds like you either didn't play or don't remember the original games, which is fine, but don't act so surprised. You can't stop that fast without hitting a wall or something in Sonic 3&K, it takes time, especially if you were moving at your top speed just before. Hitting enemies typically conserves your speed while possibly redirecting it unless you were already slow in the first place.

Top Bottom