• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Green Hill Gameplay

tkscz

I mean...uh, I guess it's okay....

image.php

I'm so done with Green Hill Zone when Emerald Hill Zone was always the superior level in tone and music.

Not to mention it looks like they just rehashed the assets from Generations.

Jaymageck

Oooh dear this is bad.

They've missed the point again. This looks like Sonic 4. No, not like a 'true Sonic 4'. That's Mania. This looks like the bad Sonic 4 they actually made.

It's important people watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzlcI_2adk

You see what Generations Classic got right in GHZ? Not a single boost pad in this video. Momentum based gameplay.

Sure, some people still didn't find the physics perfect. But it was close to a classic experience.

This Forces video is just full on DIMPS tropes in your face. Boost pads before every other loop structure. Random enemy placement. No real sense of any planned balance to the level design, just the same repetitive gameplay they've been firing out for the last 10 years or so.

The gulf in quality between the level design in this vs. Mania is embarrassing for SEGA.

Tansut

The potential of a Generations 2 type of game was to explore zones from past games that didn't make it in the first time around.

But yeah let's go with Green Hill Zone again instead.

Shifty

Given that it's not even an apocalypse-in-progress variant on Green Hill, I'm guessing that the final game will be more of Generations' dimension hopping rather than something more strongly-themed as implied by the reveal trailer.

Either that or they're reusing the ??? Zone intro thing from Generations as an excuse to bring back Classic Sonic again. Either way, meh.

LordKasual

Banned
They would have shown anything that isn't Mania, people would have called it a Sonic 4-clone or that it has bad physics, despite knowing nothing about both. No use arguing in that case.

this is truth, it's time to just let the thread go i guess

we're complaining about grass now FFS

Definitely looks like it controls more fluidly than Generations, and the acceleration will definitely help stave off the sluggishness that Classic felt like he had in that game. The bouncing off of enemies being more variable also looks like a good change, though it's hard to tell how much input has to do with it since there are a lot of wonkily aimed jump attacks. It's hard to comment on the level design but it doesn't look completely doom & gloom.

The song isn't really bad as it is a strange fit for the stage. When it gets really melodic it rather sounds like it's from a carnival-ish stage, or an instrumental rendition of a vocal song, than Green Hill. Either way, it has a really good energy; not sure what's up with the audio mixing near the end though.

Still pretty interested in seeing what this game does, but I can agree that Green Hill verbatim is a bit tired (though for the sake of this game's plot, probably necessary).

FinalAres

The new Sonic cycle:

Game is announced, looks pretty shit

More information and gameplay released, looks pretty shit

Game is released, is shit.

doop_

Banned
This looks terrible. How doesn't Sega get what Classic Sonic is supposed to play like and sound like. Looks like a mid tier mobile game.

Camjo-Z

It's nice they they're not using the same old Green Hill music again, but that doesn't sound like Classic Sonic music, especially with those snippets of Splash Hill sneaked in there. If anything it's like an speed-up shoes version of what a Classic Sonic song should sound like.

As for the level design... I'll just say I hope the level editor theory is true.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Ristifer

Looks nothing like Sonic 4. I think some people ought to go back and look at that game again, and then look at this. They're not even remotely close. Well, except for the boost pad crap.

Outrun

Very confused why they would choose to show 2D sonic, when Sonic Mania is right around the corner.

Sega should know better than to attempt to steal Mania's thunder...

I would show a gameplay and conceptual differentiator between the two titles.

ezodagrom

Thinking about what looked off to me, other than the bouncing, the way Sonic slows down at 00:21, 00:43, 01:12 and 01:14 just looks rather abrupt.

Lijik

I like the composition, but the instrumentation for the music is way off. Its not as bad as Sonic 4's dying cat synth despite using the splash hill motif, but its still iffy sounding. Its like if the only versions we had of the Sonic Colors soundtrack were the sonic simulator variations.

komplanen

To my eye it sort of looked like a well done and highly polished school project by a group of programmers and artists from a video game school. I would congratulate them for a job well done, but knowing this is a proper video game I feel like it's a little below the mark on quality. Especially the sand "waterfall" and grass looked like not much effort was put into creating them.

Takat

It's the first time I noticed another difference between Sonic and Mario. Where Mario is the one who give the sound bites of his jumps and such, with Sonic it's an outside sound.

Just an observation.

I enjoyed Generations and intend to get this on PC at some point, but coming six years after that game, I didn't expect this to be such an iterative sequel. Well, I guess there's still the mystery character and his/her gameplay to reveal.

RRockman

Banned
I hate the way Sonic doesn't bounce high after jumping and hitting an enemy. The level looks bare as well but since it's the first stage it shouldn't be representative of the game in its entirety. I just hope the new levels are better constructed.

The animation when hitting enemies looks bad. No feedback, just a limp hit.

Music isn't notable, which is pretty bad for Sonic I guess.

Looks like it has potential. Looks super unpolished though, which is understandable since it's not out yet. Just needs to be fixed up before release.

That "fangame level design" crew clearly didnt play any fan game

Even Sonic 4 has better level desing than Sonic Time Twisted for instance

Chao

Shit physics making a comeback. Sonic completely stops mid air without any kind of momentum.

And the music track is... interesting.

As a Sonic fan: Jesus christ I am so bored of Green Hill Zone. It wasn't even a great level, it's just the easiest to milk for nostalgia value. At this point though, who is actually buying Sonic games that gets a kick out of seeing fucking Green Hill again?

Also good god is that music awful, this looks atrocious in comparison to Sonic Mania.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The gulf in quality between the level design in this vs. Mania is embarrassing for SEGA.
I feel like this is what makes it all worse.

If Sonic Mania didn't exist (thank god it does), maybe we'd look at this as just another Sonic game that we are hopeful about.

Instead, we are looking to get a *real* return to form with Sonic Mania and now this video comes out and it just looks terrible all around.

Top Bottom