• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Space Port Gameplay

Merc_

God you guys are such a cancerous bunch. You make sonic stadium seem like normal people. As someone rather neutral about this game, I hope it does well just to piss you guys off. Ugh. Always rooting for the underdog

You don't sound neutral.

I'm sorry people are pointing out flaws in a game you want to like.

J@hranimo

Banned
I was wondering if the gameplay was good because the thread had so many pages. Should have known it was the other way round, Sonic Mania was just a mishap.

I have no fucking clue what is actually going on in the gameplay video.

Sonic Mania being a great game wasn't a mishap. It's made by a team of devoted fans who know exactly how to design a 2D Classic Sonic game.

Forces looks like Sonic Team, again, has no direction and probably doesn't give af this time around.

1Hv8OvH.gif

hey guys remember this

1E9fYgo.jpg

RagnarokX

I don't even think using Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant again is that big a deal. The idea of visiting these familiar places and seeing how they've changed due to Eggman's influence is a neat idea. My problem can be summed up by this map I drew of the level design:

Start____________________QTE_____________________End

And I'm not complaining that the levels are linear, it's that they are a straight flat line broken up but rails, loops, and QTEs/cutscenes.

sonto340

I don't even think using Green Hill Zone and Chemical Plant again is that big a deal. The idea of visiting these familiar places and seeing how they've changed due to Eggman's influence is a neat idea. My problem can be summed up by this map I drew of the level design:

Start____________________QTE_____________________End

And I'm not complaining that the levels are linear, it's that they are a straight flat line broken up but rails, loops, and QTEs/cutscenes.
Yeah colors did this and everyone shit their pants over how good it was.

This is the colors level design finally coming home to roost after unleashed influenced generations. There’s a direct line of ideas and design decisions from Colors to Lost World to this game. I’ll take unleashed ten times out of ten.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
There are a few scattered aesthetic touches here that make it look a bit less generic and uninspired than I anticipated, but yeah, it doesn't look appealing to me either.

MicH

It's time to take Sonic Team off the Sonic series (lol). How they're still developing these is beyond me. More Mania instead.

I think they should let Sonic Team work on Billy Hatcher 2 and give the next 3D Sonic game to another one of Sega's teams and see how they do.
Of course Sonic's Team is basically a brand at this point so I guess they'd end up both technically being Sonic Team games...

MrBadger

God you guys are such a cancerous bunch. You make sonic stadium seem like normal people. As someone rather neutral about this game, I hope it does well just to piss you guys off. Ugh. Always rooting for the underdog

I won't be pissed off if this does well. I'll be happy if the mediocre crap they've shown in previews doesn't represent the whole game, and it actually is as good as Generations. It's nobody here's fault that Forces looks like such a downer.

You don't sound neutral.

I'm sorry people are pointing out flaws in a game you want to like.
For someone who's apparently neutral, it's strange how a quarter of their entire post history is just getting mad at people who aren't hot on the game. Hmm...

Ferr986

This is the colors level design finally coming home to roost after unleashed influenced generations. There’s a direct line of ideas and design decisions from Colors to Lost World to this game. I’ll take unleashed ten times out of ten.

Colors is the less lineal 3D Sonic, especially when you're looking for red medals, the stage are huges and with lots of alternate paths. Colors is like a 3D Sonic CD.

ezodagrom

When the game was announced, we were expecting something that would take the Generations formula and improve upon it, not a game that takes a huge step back and disregards everything that Generations did right.

This is the colors level design finally coming home to roost after unleashed influenced generations. There's a direct line of ideas and design decisions from Colors to Lost World to this game. I'll take unleashed ten times out of ten.
Indeed, the level design does feel rather Colors and Lost World like, can also see how its being degraded with each entry under this director too, level design got worse from Colors to Lost world, and it's looking to be even worse in Forces.

Colors came at a time when Sonic games always had some alternate gameplay style that just didn't belong. A game that focused only on Sonic was a breath of fresh air at the time and despite its flaws (relied too much on blocks based platforming, focused too much on 2D sections, mostly automated or linear 3D sections), the game overall was fine.
The great music and art direction also helped alot too.

Forces though... So far it lacks the great music and art direction that Colors had, it ignores everything good that Generations did, its level design is looking to be worse than even Lost World, and it's embracing the edgy type of setting from when Sonic was at its worst...
Forces just doesn't have anything going for it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think they should let Sonic Team work on Billy Hatcher 2 and give the next 3D Sonic game to another one of Sega's teams and see how they do.
Of course Sonic's Team is basically a brand at this point so I guess they'd end up both technically being Sonic Team games...
Sonic Team is a toxic brand.

A Sonic game not made by Sonic Team is a solid marketing tactic at this point. Worked well for Mania! Please ignore Boom...

Fiendcode

This looks rough. At least previous duds like Unleashed, Lost World, Black Knight and even 06 looked promising in prerelease media, this doesn’t even rise to that level.

It’s going to be a real wake up call when it turns out Mania massively outsold this.

Sonic Generations: The grey and brown edition.... 5 years late to the trend!

I actually think this will be okay and fun, like Sonic Colours. But man, after Mania, and soon Odyssey, it makes me sad that the next 3D Sonic is just okay.

Ristifer

Is this a joke post?

I know there are people out there that like the Modern Sonic gameplay formula, and that's fine. But there are a lot of Sonic fans out there who have yet to fully enjoy a proper foray into 3D Sonic worthy of the franchise's name, because Sonic Team hasn't gotten it right yet. Attempt after attempt after attempt, and we still have to call Forces an underdog because it looks floaty and uninspired?

They've had chances. This is over, how many years now? Almost two decades? I mean, I like the Adventure games too, but they're not exactly shining bright as examples of solid gameplay in 2017. So, yes, nearly two decades.

I want Forces to do well IF it's a good game, so as to reward Sonic Team for doing a good job. But that's only if they step up and do it. This mediocre fluff isn't for me. I don't care about Sonic's plethora of one-liners and buddies who are the exact same and never shut up. I don't care about the buttrock music that just has to be featured all the time now. I really don't care about fist bumping gimmicks and super boosts just to eliminate enemies two seconds faster. And I certainly don't give a damn about boring, linear, unimaginative level design with QTEs and visuals that look stamped in from 2008.

It just looks like shit, and they should know better by now. It's been too long for a lot of fans, including myself. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd love to have a 3D Sonic that isn't the same ol' half-assed clichés and uninspired mechanics. As a fan of Sonic, and not just Classic Sonic, this is massively disappointing time after time.

Verder

this the shit that will make sonic 06 and BOOM feel like GOTY contenders.

im still rooting for forces a tad bit :/

man, if you told me 10 years ago that in 2017 the new Mario game looks like the GOTY and the new Sonic game looks like absolute trash.... i would have totally believed you because that makes perfect sense.

Yukinari

This is top quality copypasta material for any future games.

I like how no matter what video it is, the youtube comments eat it up like slop.

It looks...fine?

I honestly don’t see where this massive blend of hatred is coming from for this game.

This just looks like a return to the kind of gameplay from Sonic Colours.

I think people are just lashing out because of things like being able to create your own character or the more “edgier” kind of story. Really though, to me this just looks like the franchise just reveling in its own absurdity and having fun with itself.

Yet I keep seeing so much anger directed at this game like it committed some horrible crime. When really, all this game is looking to be is a mediocre $40 platformer at worst.

Of course, I haven’t played the game yet so my opinion on that may change, but I’m don’t feel ENRAGED at what I’m seeing here like some of y’all are.

Wamb0wneD

It's not anyones fault here the games looks uninspired as fuck.
I couldn't care less if it does well or not. If it doesn't, maybe Sonic Team will wake up. If it does, we will get more of the same quality that I won't buy.

For someone who's apparently neutral, it's strange how a quarter of their entire post history is just getting mad at people who aren't hot on the game. Hmm...

Lol nvm.

Wamb0wneD

And that lightning whip where you just watch your character following the rings on rails, because the game isn't automated enough already...

ezodagrom

It looks...fine?

I honestly don’t see where this massive blend of hatred is coming from for this game.

Level design looks degraded when compared to even Lost World, let alone Colors.
After Sonic Generations had the best level design from the boost based games, people were expecting an evolution from that, and what we're getting here is the complete opposite.

Level design looks linear (especially the 3D sections), automated, there's boost pads all over the place, 2D sections are far overused, enemies don't pose a threat at all and pop up in rows just for the player to go through them, so far, when it comes to level design, everything looks far worse than Generations.

Yukinari

And that lightning whip where you just watch your character following the rings on rails, because the game isn't automated enough already...

There is no thought into making meaningful platforming or choosing paths or finding secrets.

You know, the things that made the series popular aside from the speed gimmick.

The 2D gameplay was already redundant in Generations by the way. Now you have THREE CHARACTERS with 2D sections. Why even include Classic Sonic?

There is no thought into making meaningful platforming or choosing paths or finding secrets.

The 2D gameplay was already redundant in Generations by the way. Now you have THREE CHARACTERS with 2D sections. Why even include Classic Sonic?

4, you forgot Shadow :p

Wamb0wneD

Or any chance to build momentum on your own because you run into a speed boost before you can even do that or maybe because the physics and the leveldesign don't even allow for it.

the way it stops to attack is so jarring, totally goes against the fluidity of the movement.

Or the general basic premise of Sonic games. Shit also gets interrupted whenever you get one of those mini grappling hook cutscenes. It's mind boggling how hard they screwed this up.

Listonosh

Man... what happened here? The enemies in the first clip seem pointless, as the character keeps using the drill to just mow them all down in a single swoop. Why even have them there?

Ristifer

It looks...fine?

I think people are just lashing out because of things like being able to create your own character or the more “edgier” kind of story. Really though, to me this just looks like the franchise just reveling in its own absurdity and having fun with itself.

Yet I keep seeing so much anger directed at this game like it committed some horrible crime. When really, all this game is looking to be is a mediocre $40 platformer at worst.

Of course, I haven’t played the game yet so my opinion on that may change, but I’m don’t feel ENRAGED at what I’m seeing here like some of y’all are.
Your own post makes the game sound like shit. I'm not sure what your point is. It's "reveling in its own absurdity and having fun with itself"? That's fine, as long as the game is actually fun for me, too. But it looks like shit. Parody is only good if it's enjoyable.

"Looking to be a mediocre $40 platformer at worst" sounds like a glowing endorsement for a crappy game. It could be $2 and still be massively disappointing for fans of Sonic in general. I will give you credit for calling it a platformer, though, considering it has no worthy platforming of note so far. Like at all.

Foffy

Banned
This game seems all over the place. I still can't put down what the focus is here.

Don't Lil Sanic, Modern Sanic, and Create-A-Sanic all kind of play generally the same? There are slight mechanical differences like how Create-A-Sanic has a grapple weapon, but it seems more samey than Generations, where Lil Sanic was all sidescrolling and Modern had moments of where the camera was behind him.

Now it just seems like these three characters all play largely the same. Unless I am missing something huge that separates Create-A-Sanic and Modern Sanic other than one can use weapons and the other can boost.

I'm so incredibly disappointed at how this game is looking. It looks like it's a couple game breaking bugs away from being another Sonic 2006.

I loved Generations and wanted a good sequel to it...

The whole "Sonic Team is just self-aware of how much they suck" thing is literally the same argument as Jokes On Them I Was Only Pretending.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I want the next main Sonic game to be Super Sonic 64. I want levels that are open playgrounds built around utilising Sonic's movement abilities and momentum physics to explore and traverse the environment. Let me run around a somewhat open playground as Sonic. Give the player little challenges within these open stages. No automation. Just a game all about utilising the gameplay mechanics to run explore and traverse the way the player sees fit. A more structured take on the Sonic Utopia concept.

Vidiot

I want the next main Sonic game to be Super Sonic 64. I want levels that are open playgrounds built around utilising Sonic's movement abilities and momentum physics to explore and traverse the environment. Let me run around a somewhat open playground as Sonic. Give the player little challenges within these open stages. No automation. Just a game all about utilising the gameplay mechanics to run explore and traverse the way the player sees fit. A more structured take on the Sonic Utopia concept.

They wound never pull that off. It would most likely be horrible. They can hardly make a decent linear game.

Top Bottom