• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Teknoman

Blueblur1 said:
You can't boost on some of the rails before the cave with the giant robot fish and on some of the rails in the low path.

I can't find a video where the player uses the one specific ramp that I know Classic Sonic can't jump off of in the Classic Green Hill stage but it's the ramp right under the yellow spring in this part of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GXLrlL-oLpk#t=145s

Yeah was about to post that I found that rail you were talking about. Whats strange is that if you're holding boost before the scene, you'll still boost while on that rail.

Also 3DS not having Aqua Lake zone is a really big missed opportunity. Sure it wasnt that complicated in its game, but the scenery alone would've been nice...at least how I imagine it.

AquaLakeAct1.png

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just played the demo. Had no idea that the Classic stages are actually total remakes of the old Genesis stages! Just assumed they were going for a retro look with new layouts all this time. Really took me back to the early 90's, almost solidifying a purchase. Good stuff.

Then I tried the Modern version. That took me back to the dark days of paying hundreds of dollars to import a JPN Dreamcast + Sonic Adventure and regretting every damned penny(until Soul Calibur finally hit).

Just felt like every moment of play I was shifting in and out of barely passable control of the situation. Just handling Sonic running 'into the screen' is as awkward and frustrating as ever. I suppose the sheer intensity and speed is something I can eventually condition to with practice, but that initial demo run was...out of control. Not bad, but not good either.

That Worldmap video in the OP is still convincing me to buy regardless though. Love the idea of having multiple 'missions' for each world, hopefully giving greater replay incentive than merely "Fast times for S-rank!"

Teknoman

Brandon F said:
Just played the demo. Had no idea that the Classic stages are actually total remakes of the old Genesis stages! Just assumed they were going for a retro look with new layouts all this time. Really took me back to the early 90's, almost solidifying a purchase. Good stuff.

Then I tried the Modern version. That took me back to the dark days of paying hundreds of dollars to import a JPN Dreamcast + Sonic Adventure and regretting every damned penny(until Soul Calibur finally hit).

Just felt like every moment of play I was shifting in and out of barely passable control of the situation. Just handling Sonic running 'into the screen' is as awkward and frustrating as ever. I suppose the sheer intensity and speed is something I can eventually condition to with practice, but that initial demo run was...out of control. Not bad, but not good either.

That Worldmap video in the OP is still convincing me to buy regardless though. Love the idea of having multiple 'missions' for each world, hopefully giving greater replay incentive than merely "Fast times for S-rank!"

Just make sure you dont boost all the time and you'll be ok. Also memorization helps/quick reflexes as soon as you see a path you might want to take. The controls are pretty tight once you're used to the speed, and you want to slow down a little at certain points to check out the area.

EDIT: Wow...that stuff found by Sonic Retro actually seems to be nice as far as extras go.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Teknoman said:
Just make sure you dont boost all the time and you'll be ok. Also memorization helps/quick reflexes as soon as you see a path you might want to take.

Yea it was just a first run I did. I definitely was boosting like crazy which probably didn't help, as you said.

iavi

I never thought I'd hear the Mega collection menu music again. That was always a fantastic, but hardly ever mentioned piece.

My demo dl is almost done. I'm so hyped.

Teknoman

Brandon F said:
Yea it was just a first run I did. I definitely was boosting like crazy which probably didn't help, as you said.

Yeah Sonic goes fast enough without boosting...really its just good for hitting ramps for height, outrunning things, or hitting enemies on a straightaway.

blamite

Is it just me, or did the game get worse between the original demo and the new one? The controls feel super unresponsive now, especially jumping. It's like there's a half second of input lag built in or something.

J@hranimo

Banned
Played the demo with both Classic and Modern Sonic multiple times.

Classic physics are much better! So happy for that! The only gripe is that rolling doesn't build any speed and the spindash is still a tad bit overpowered, but you can stop yourself much more quickly than before.

Modern is a lot of fun. Definitely feels more so like the Colors gameplay, which is a plus.

Teknoman

So depending on what what you press the analog stick after hitting one of those rainbow ramps, you do different trick animations.

Also anyone else find themselves playing with the d-pad for Classic and analog for Modern?

Off topic, but when is Sonic CD HD releasing?

The Medley is only missing the two most important Sonic pieces to be in the credits sequences of Sonic games - that being Sonic 2's Dreams Come True and Sonic 3's Stranger in Moscow incarnation.

Its okay, though.

iavi

blamite said:
Is it just me, or did the game get worse between the original demo and the new one? The controls feel super unresponsive now, especially jumping. It's like there's a half second of input lag built in or something.

I felt the complete opposite. Not only was I incredibly impressed with just how much more responsive classic Sonic felt, I even more amazed at how 'not-janky' modern Sonic handles. They were almost there with Colors, but they did it this time. They fucking did it.

J@hranimo said:
Doesn't Sonic CD come out sometime before the years end?

Yep. It's listed as late 2011. Though, I really wouldn't be surprised to see it slip into early next year.

Teknoman

0 HP said:
i hope there are hidden stages we haven't found out about yet. 9 levels isn't really that many.

Well apparently there are lots of challenge levels within those zones, so I guess you could say those count as different acts. I dont think there are extra hidden zones though...unless Retro hasnt found everything by mining the demos.

Iknos

Teknoman said:
Still wish there was some sort of Special Stage in the game...miss opportunity to have things like this in HD:

ibsTRwLsbniZGz.gif

Dude this is Sonic Team they don't know what the fuck they are doing and never will.

Sciz

0 HP said:
i hope there are hidden stages we haven't found out about yet. 9 levels isn't really that many.
Nine visually distinct zones is right about where the series usually caps out.

Still a lot of issues with the Classic physics, unsurprisingly... Spindash is way overpowered, and rolling is awful. I think what burns me the most is that some ramps and springs still send you on a set path. If I hit a vertical spring and want to go right, I should be able too.

Modern was pretty fun, though. Hopefully the later stages are more complex.

ShadiWulf

Sciz said:
Nine visually distinct zones is right about where the series usually caps out.
Not to mention Sonic Generations is Nine Special Zones, usually we only get 1, 2, or 3 special zones in a Sonic game, but Sonic Generations is made up of them. but like you said, there is a huge variety, so even though most of them are cities, they will have distinct feels.

ElRenoRaven

Wow. I'm in shock. Tried the new demo. Other then one small spot in each that had questionable level design I actually really liked both. Also classic had one phsyics difference I didn't care for but I'm honestly in shock. We might have the first good Sonic game in many many many years.

0 HP

ShadiWulf said:
Not to mention Sonic Generations is Nine Special Zones, usually we only get 1, 2, or 3 special zones in a Sonic game, but Sonic Generations is made up of them. but like you said, there is a huge variety, so even though most of them are cities, they will have distinct feels.
special zones?

iavi

TheCongressman1 said:
Still a lot of issues with the Classic physics, unsurprisingly... Spindash is way overpowered, and rolling is awful. I think what burns me the most is that some ramps and springs still send you on a set path. If I hit a vertical spring and want to go right, I should be able too.

Modern was pretty fun, though. Hopefully the later stages are more complex.

I agree. The first thing I did was try to jump while rolling up a steep incline. It didn't let me :(
It sucks, but the game does still feel on point.

ShadiWulf

0 HP said:
special zones?
well, like zones that are usually considered the best.. like for Unleashed it would probably be Spagonia

Sonic Colors would obviously be Planet Wisp

just.. you know zones that are usually the best zones in a game or most recognized.

RobbieNick

TheCongressman1 said:

Wahhh? That didn't happen to me. I tried the vertical spring and was able to veer right no problem. It was much stiffer in the old demo.

Teknoman

Yeah the vertical springs are better now, the horizontal springs seem to propel you at a slightly automated path though.

RobbieNick

PROTIP: The best way to find the fastest path in Modern is to do a trail run with no boost. Found some great areas that way.

I'm loving the poop out of this demo, sad to see it's not the same for everyone else, I really cannot wait for this game to arrive on my doorstep :D

Bruiserk

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. I'm in shock. Tried the new demo. Other then one small spot in each that had questionable level design I actually really liked both. Also classic had one phsyics difference I didn't care for but I'm honestly in shock. We might have the first good Sonic game in many many many years.

Off of what store?

Anth0ny

Yeah, the classic physics are definitely improved, but there are still issues.

Can't wait for the PC version. Sonic Retro is going to absolutely tear it apart.

QisTopTier said:
IceCap has the best song out of any sonic games well at least to me.

There is one particular OC Remix song that I will always have on my mp3 player ALWAYS.

http://youtu.be/Vy3hEFiXmvE

this has been my ringtone for years...no matter what phone I buy, I always change it to this.

So smooth....

Klaymator14 said:
Dunno if this was posted yet. It's more stuff that Sonic Retro pulled from the demo http://www.sonicretro.org/2011/10/second-generations-demo-round-up-more-things-found/

There are heavy spoilers in this link. But after reading I am convinced that anyone who doesn't love this game when they see the amount of amazing fanservice in the challenge modes and main game might as well just give up on sonic entirely. The physics might not be perfect, they may be a few framerate drops, but the amount of good sonic content for all fans of the franchise is nothing short of amazing. Sega have gone so far beyond the call of duty they have lapped themselves. Well done.

RobbieNick

They certainly improved Modern Sonic's controls over Unleashed. The drift now is a spindash and turns tightly and the ninja wall jump actually works and doesn't require precise timing!

That said I think Colors still has it over this on Modern Gameplay, Mainly due to the heavy use of 2-D and slower boost.

DeVeAn

RobbieNick said:
They certainly improved Modern Sonic's controls over Unleashed. The drift now is a spindash and turns tightly and the ninja wall jump actually works and doesn't require precise timing!

That said I think Colors still has it over this on Modern Gameplay, Mainly due to the heavy use of 2-D and slower boost.
I disagree, this modern sonic in generations has a better jump mechanic. Colors was floaty not horrible bad mine you but it was.

ShadiWulf said:

Who calls those special zones? Special zones were always where you got emeralds.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am a believer. Will be the definitive Sonic game. Sad that I will likely be too poor to buy it for a while.

RobbieNick said:

I honestly didn't feel this had too bad a balance between 2D and 3D, the level design was varied and very forgiving (kinda pointless automated corkscrew loop near the end above a bottomless pit aside) and lastly control wise this was even better than Colors (especially the jump; god that got irritating after awhile in Colors). Only downside for Modern Sonic I felt was the larger emphasis on the boost and the skid and 'short hop' sections still feeling pointless and annoying distractions rather than anything else.

Classic Sonic also felt a bit better than the previous demo did, but the roll and uber-spindash (the latter of which I didn't actually notice last time, though I was purposely dicking around more for this demo) are still annoying enough quirks that I'm getting the PC version. Don't get how fixing the roll could of possibly 'broken' the game like SEGA said it would and in fact it feels like the opposite at times, but either way it's still FUN and definitely well-made. I'd just prefer a version which plays closer to what I remember.
did notice a bit where spindashing right in front of a slightly up curved ramp sent you flying and bouncing off a badnik so you could skip a bit of the level which was a bit clever though

Speaking of which, I just ordered it through Zavvi for a cheap as hell $20 Australian. Thankfully it's getting in after the large bulk of my study is over for the year (have Arkham City sitting on my 360 waiting to be played when I have more spare time from uni work and job). Can't wait!

Top Bottom