• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_3lqFxNJPM

I really like Modern Sonic, though I think the whole "spindash to drift" animation thing looks really weird and out of place.

But control-wise, I like how they've tightened things up at speed. Controlling Modern Sonic feels kind of snappy again, but not in a way that feels twitchy. Classic Sonic is "better", but still kind of weird. But weird in a way that I can live with, I guess.

I think it says something that I never had to drift at all in modern Green Hill since the turning even at full speed was so unexpectedly responsive. Can't say until I've played the entire thing but almost wish there were more Adventure 1-like areas with this Sonic since it almost feels like he controls better here than he did in that game despite this one being so much faster.

Losing a life for deciding to start over a level is ridiculous though and I can see it becoming very annoying for speed-runners and if you achievement grind. Pretty sure Colors didn't dock you a life for starting over?

RobbieNick said:
They certainly improved Modern Sonic's controls over Unleashed. The drift now is a spindash and turns tightly and the ninja wall jump actually works and doesn't require precise timing!

That said I think Colors still has it over this on Modern Gameplay, Mainly due to the heavy use of 2-D and slower boost.

:( Hopefully there are some cool platforming sequences delegated to 3D later in the game. It's cool that the controls are tightened up from Unleashed. Is it like they were in Colors or even better? Lessened boost also sounds good, can't wait to play it.

TimmiT

EchosMyron1 said:
:( Hopefully there are some cool platforming sequences delegated to 3D later in the game. It's cool that the controls are tightened up from Unleashed. Is it like they were in Colors or even better? Lessened boost also sounds good, can't wait to play it.
Videos have shown that later stages have more 3D than 2D.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Demo #2 was actually a lot of fun....too much fun actually, i dotn want to go back and finish Sonic Colors now.

Damn it, i should have postponed playing the Demo until i had finished Sonic Colors......
God help me forget Sonic Generations so i can get through Sonic Colors.

P.S Modern Sonic in the demo was a shit load of fun, i didnt think i would love it as much as i did.

0 HP

i don't see what is so special about this game, im sorry. the controls could be tighter for both classic and modern sonic and its still hard to keep track of whats in front of classic sonic when he's running. level aesthetics and music are nothing new. i don't see what's to be excited about? green hill zone in generations isn't even 1/10 as awesome in sonic 1 either.

0 HP said:
i don't see what is so special about this game, im sorry. the controls could be tighter for both classic and modern sonic and its still hard to keep track of whats in front of classic sonic when he's running. level aesthetics and music are nothing new. i don't see what's to be excited about? green hill zone in generations isn't even 1/10 as awesome in sonic 1 either.

Did you like Sonic 4 better than this? It seems like this is going to be the best they'll do and is much better than previous offerings. It'll never go back to the way things were where it was a slower paced game that focuses more on level design instead of it focusing on speed (which it does to a lesser with the "classic" levels but also much faster than any of the classic sonic games ever were). I can't see it ever having that focus on level design like the genesis era games had. Did you watch the video from the other thread with sky sanctuary? That was more faithful than green hill was IMO.

Sky Sanctuary is pretty much what sold me on the game.

ShadiWulf

JonCha said:
Aren't some trailers missing, like the Sky Sanctuary one, from the OP?
Sky Sanctuary never had its own trailer, it was part of the Genesis Era trailer. Anyways, yeah I left some earlier trailers out of the OP, because they aren't that good.. the ones with tenderoni music... lol, i found them quite boring myself. Plus I had to cut some stuff out to save time, and those were the best ones to get rid of.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The impression I get from the trailers is that the 3D gameplay is better then Colors and the 2D gameplay isn't quite as good.

I really should play that demo...

Teknoman

Quick demo runthrough video I made also showing that ramp that seems to work like a normal Sonic game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKYz_FwJek

EDIT: The controls are just fine for both Sonics, even though classic could stand to give you more control over hitting ramps to launch yourself, there really is nothing wrong with the controls themselves.

And whats so special about the game? For the most part, classic stages reimagined as modern, and modern stages reimagined as classic. Thats where the game truly shines.

Teknoman

ShockingAlberto said:
Is it me or did the classic GHZ music not loop very well?

Its not just you, it does seem to abruptly restart...which i'm kinda hoping is just something they never changed for the demo. Probably wont though.

JonCha

A really hope they have something like in Froza 4 where you can choose a ghost and then race against it in real-time. That would be killer.

Edit: @Shadi: oh yeah. For some reason I thought it was just one trailer.

Varion

ShockingAlberto said:
Is it me or did the classic GHZ music not loop very well?
Definitely not just you, but modern doesn't either. Pretty obvious it's restarting at the 2min mark.

Went through each of the acts twice, that's about as much Omochao as I could stand. Enjoyed it, preorder's staying.

I'm completely sold on Modern Sonic's gameplay now. Controls far better than he does in Unleashed/Colors, and I didn't notice many (if any) performance issues either.

ShadiWulf

Finally got to play the demo

Modern Sonic is AMAZING

hes tons better then Sonic Unleashed, hes better then Colors

I thought Green Hill Zone was going to be a super easy level, it just looked like a mainly boost to win level in the videos I saw of it, but it's not true. It actually takes skill to pull off some of the upper paths. Took me a while <3 to get good enough I love it so much.

It's got that exhilarating feel of Sonic Unleashed when going at massive speeds, but if you aren't careful you can easily screw yourself over and unlike in Unleashed it's not just sending you into traps to kill you. If you try to boost through the whole level you just end up screwing yourself over in a way that really slows you down. You can't boost to win unless you know what you are doing. '

I'm still not bored of Modern Sonic yet and ive played his level so many times. Much more then I can say for either the first level of Unleashed or Colors. I also agree with anyone who thinks Modern Sonic GHZ has more paths then classic Sonic GHZ.

Did I mention that pulling off that drift is freaking awesome? Oh yeah... it is! Pulling off tricks is a great feeling too.

So just remember, what you see isn't what you get necessarily, and I mean that in a good way! After what I've heard about the later modern levels being full of 3D platforming, and knowing City Escape has much more substance then GHZ.. I seriously can't wait to play more. I still got a lot of perfecting I need to do for modern Sonic GHZ. SO yeah.... good times ahead!

RobbieNick

I agree. I love modern Sonic in this game. He's got that thrill of speed from Unleashed, but with much tighter controls. Drift and wall jump work so much better.

Yep, I'm digging modern. All it needs are bigger paths, more paths, less automation, and we're talking Edit: Best 3D Sonic. I haven't watched all the media so I'm not sure if later levels work on these or not. I'll see when it comes out.

Classic is a real let down... It needs work. Sonic team is just going to refuse 1:1 genesis physics at all costs, and that's a shame.

Managed to get my Modern Sonic time to around 1:54. :D

I don't think I've gotten this much enjoyment out of speedrunning a Sonic level in a while, actually.

Anth0ny

Modern Sonic does play better than Colors.

but i still hate it

Anyone know where I can get the European CE besides Amazon? Somewhere that doesn't have ridiculous import fees?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Anth0ny said:
Modern Sonic does play better than Colors.

but i still hate it
Yeah, Colors worked primarily on the basis of 2D gameplay and level design. This looks like the evolution of Unleashed though, which is also awesome.

Anth0ny said:
Anyone know where I can get the European CE besides Amazon? Somewhere that doesn't have ridiculous import fees?

You can order it from Australia, but yeah, still expect ridiculous import fees.

JonCha

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Managed to get my Modern Sonic time to around 1:54. :D

I don't think I've gotten this much enjoyment out of speedrunning a Sonic level in a while, actually.
I've got 1:53 ;)

Brera

Banned
I've never fallen for the Sonic cycle as I all the games in recent history have been shit after Sonic Adventure 1 which I actually enjoyed.

having said that, this is top of my list to buy. It seems so.....FUN!

dock

I need to be careful not to fall for the Sonic Cycle.

The controls in Sonic Colors were a fussy mess, with so many different methods that it was hard to keep track of. I had a pretty miserable time getting through the bosses too, and didn't enjoy any of the wisps. The fact that Colors is generally regarded so highly makes it hard for me to trust impressions of Generations. :(

SkylineRKR

I'm playing the Ps3 version and the button lag is still present on the Ps3 it seems :(

Its a nice demo but this one thing does annoy me.

Fox

Banned
SkylineRKR said:
I'm playing the Ps3 version and the button lag is still present on the Ps3 it seems :(

Its a nice demo but this one thing does annoy me.

i didn't notice the input lag in the ps3 version, this time.
but comparing the two versions, the ps3 version seems a little blurry compared to the x360 one. the framerate is ok in both version.

the good news is that they really have fixed some of the problems showed in the first demo

- classic sonic jumps higher. even the bounce after defeating an enemy is higher.
- you can fully backtrack to the beginning of the level
- they fixed the animation when sonic starts going upward. was a mess in the demo #1
- now you can move more freely when you jump on a vertical red spring.

and they have added flowers and a totem in the pillar in the background after the ring pyramid near the beginning of the level. good job, everytime i played the old demo i've always mistaken it for the real ground, not background.

JonCha

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
I've got it at 1:52:91 now. I don't think I can break that, though, haha.

Edit: Make that 1:52:70.

Edit 2: 1:50:90. Okay, I think I'm done for the day.
The fastest time going is 1:44. There are two sections I need to nail down and I'll get sub-1:50.

I was just idling at a nice spot in Classic GHZ, right after the 2.5D perspective launch early on, and I saw an animation I don't recall from the original demo or the rip from it, where Sonic points a thumb over his shoulder to the right. Maybe it plays instead of the "snap and point forward", since I had him facing left?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well... I could use my lunch break to study or work on a few things. Or I could download the demo.

...Downloading demo *while* studying, lol.

System update?! *sigh*

Teknoman said:
Its not just you, it does seem to abruptly restart...which i'm kinda hoping is just something they never changed for the demo. Probably wont though.
I certainly hope that changes. It was extremely jarring in the first demo.

That's not even all the games listed in the original preorder entry.

Come on, someone can knock together some Scout Sonic sneakers for TF2 in two weeks, you just had cleats. Hell, there's probably already a good skin of them out there already.

Edit: Hadn't noticed this achievement before:

f8b90a545ad9f4cce4a351103dcff31f5d0027f7.jpg

Jump for Joy!
Found the spring hidden in GREEN HILL Act 1 and reached the goal with a Red Star Ring

Kind of a weird one. I know the Red Star Rings aren't in the demo, but I thought there were five per stage. I wonder what's so special about this particular spring?

qq more

Kulock said:
That's not even all the games listed in the original preorder entry.

Come on, someone can knock together some Scout Sonic sneakers for TF2 in two weeks, you just had cleats. Hell, there's probably already a good skin of them out there already.

Edit: Hadn't noticed this achievement before:

Kind of a weird one. I know the Red Star Rings aren't in the demo, but I thought there were five per stage. I wonder what's so special about this particular spring?
YOU FOUND A SECRET BONUS POINT

I don't know either actually.

Modern Sonic plays exactly like I'd want him to, the only thing I could think of is add more 2D segments to make it a bit more balanced like Colors.

Also, is it just me or did they add some weird motion effect to classic mode since the Summer demo? For the first 10 seconds or so I can barely tell what's going on, I hope this gets fixed.

Top Bottom