• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

I just downloaded and played the European PSN demo, which let me test my 3D TV (I can't use the 360's 3D option because I have an older, component-only 360). I turned it up a bit higher than midway for Classic, and it was nice enough, like before. Turned it up to full for Modern Sonic, and wow, that could get addictive. I couldn't help but imagine playing it with this thing.

The framerate did suffer a bit in 3D, but not intolerably so, and not as badly as the first demo. It's a nice extra if you have the capability.

Tuck

AwakenedCloud said:
Modern Sonic plays exactly like I'd want him to, the only thing I could think of is add more 2D segments to make it a bit more balanced like Colors.

Also, is it just me or did they add some weird motion effect to classic mode since the Summer demo? For the first 10 seconds or so I can barely tell what's going on, I hope this gets fixed.
There's more than enough 2d.

Honestly there should be more 3d

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finished the demo a few times. A few things I noticed:

I'm glad Omochao can be turned off in the retail release. I was fully expecting it to call me SENPAI after a while. -_-

- The framerate isn't as bad as the previous demo's while playing as Classic Sonic. I did not get nauseous while playing this several times, so good job, SEGA! :D
- Music still loops awkwardly in both acts. I hope this is fixed in the retail game.
- Controls for Modern Sonic feel better than Unleashed, I think. I'll have to go back and check that, but I really liked this one. The vibrancy of Green Hill Zone also adds to the atmosphere while boosting.
- Classic Sonic jumps higher, good bounce after hitting an enemy
- some areas feel less automated

Since the demo is more about Modern Sonic than Classic Sonic, I'll focus on that.

This game is not boost to win or hold right to win, even in Modern Sonic's case. There are multiple pathways throughout both acts, and because the Red Rings are included, you are encouraged to explore throughout Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic's levels. In fact, it seems like there are more alternate paths in Modern Sonic's Act than Classic Sonic's. So if all you do is boost, you're probably going to miss out on a lot of stuff, including Red Rings.

I... um...
I liked the 2D sections of Modern Sonic's levels a little more than the Classic sections.
I think that because of the actual scale of the level (ie: the size of the enemies and the size of the slopes, ground levels, etc relative to Sonic himself, sometimes the Homing Attack enhances the gameplay somewhat.

I think Modern Sonic's act is really really fun. It kind of feels better than Colours, actually (which in some respects felt better than Unleashed's). Pulling off tricks and drifting well is so fun. I'm completely sold on his gameplay now, so I'm looking forward to the other Modern levels as well. :)

RobbieNick

Been playing the PS3 version to compare to the 360 one.

The framerate seems just as good as 360 unless there's a ton happening onscreen. The only time I encountered a huge stutter was breaking the bridge.

Colors seem darker. I don't know if it's just my TV or what.

Don't like controlling the game with the standard PS3 controller. Reaching my finger for R2 to slide doesn't fell natural. Also, I went back to playing D-Pad with modern. normally I'm fine using my PS3 controller on all my games, but this one felt a little off.

Still, I got 1:58 on modern with this demo so it's not like I can't get used to it.

Overall, 360 is the better one IMO, but not by a wide margin or anything.

RobbieNick

PROTIP: If you don't feel like tap the joystick or D-pad like crazy in mid air, just tap and hold in any direction. He'll keep doing the same trick over and over, but at least you'll get your boost. Just make sure to tap LB+RB to finish the combo.

Yep, Modern Sonic feels better control wise than ever before. Genesis Sonic looks better as well, it seems like the motion blur was toned down.

It plays great, my problem is that there is no scoring system in the demo, there is no reason to play as modern sonic if there is no scoring system. The entire point is to get high scores.

RobbieNick

MiamiWesker said:
Yep, Modern Sonic feels better control wise than ever before. Genesis Sonic looks better as well, it seems like the motion blur was toned down.

It plays great, my problem is that there is no scoring system in the demo, there is no reason to play as modern sonic if there is no scoring system. The entire point is to get high scores.

?? Who the heck ever plays sonic for high scores? The point is to get the best time in a speed run. Oh wait. You were just joking weren't you? I fell for it.

qq more

RobbieNick said:
?? Who the heck ever plays sonic for high scores? The point is to get the best time in a speed run. Oh wait. You were just joking weren't you? I fell for it.
I don't see the problem. Some people prefer high scores over time attack.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
RobbieNick said:

The game seems to use an evolved version of the Sonic Colors scoring system that rewards a lot of stuff including extra lives and such. Anything that adds more tech to replaying stages is a good addition.

JonCha

Kaijima said:
The game seems to use an evolved version of the Sonic Colors scoring system that rewards a lot of stuff including extra lives and such. Anything that adds more tech to replaying stages is a good addition.
Plus you can buy all manner of upgrades if you want, so there's that.

RobbieNick

The scores are there. They are just at the end of the level in the full game. I guess I can understand where he's coming from, but I don't think that's the only point of playing a level. Especially in a demo.

iavi

Kaijima said:
That system actually stems from Sonic 2's MP. Its one of the reasons you could win the match even if you didn't race. I prefer it.

qq more

Played the demo. It is really good, but ever since I got my HDtv, I've been getting input lag on my PS3 (in general) and it's annoying the shit out of me. :(

Also Omochao can go rot in hell. So annoying, thank god I can disable him in the final game.

OMG that demo was great. Modern Sonic plays great. Not happy about hearing voice acting in my Classic Sonic segments though >: (yeah yeah, I know about Tails)

Ozone

Just tried the demo in 3D.

Classic is extremely improved with it. Issues of losing myself with the bright and busy background is completely gone. I really enjoyed it.

Modern takes a hit with frame rate in some sections (most noticeably the beginning). However, I saw visibility improvements in the behind-the-back sections. I was more easily able to see upcoming obstacles and time my jumps better.

This is one of the few games I can see myself playing more in 3D because it improves the experience and playability.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just played the demo. Classic was very good, quite liked it. Modern was.. OK, I guess. I quite liked the 2D parts, but the 3D parts weren't really all that interesting IMO (not bad, but I liked the 2D parts more).

Edit: The framerate seems to be improved too

TimmiT

Someone has found voice clips of Omochao in the demo that pretty much spoil everything in the game, including the final boss.

ShadiWulf

KennyLinder said:
Just played the demo.

WHY is this 30fps?!?! Why?! Instant no buy, Sonic needs to be razor sharp and this is just sleepy.
PC version will be 60 FPS, you'll just need a really good PC =)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Out of curiosity, did SEGA specify whether this game had dual-audio or not? They're usually really good with this, so I want to say "yes" based on Colours and Unleashed (HD).

EDIT: Also, seems like Takashi Iizuka has something to share:

TSSZ said:
Sega to Show Sonic CD, Later Generations Stage at Paris Games Week

We have two pieces of information to share from across the Atlantic. In France, as we reported last week, the Paris Games Week will kick off beginning Friday, and we’ve learned Sega has something special to show there concerning Sonic Generations.

According to Sega France blog The Blue Room, not only will Takashi Iizuka be present at the show, he and the team will also publicly demo a later stage from the game for the first time. There’s no hint as to what it could be, and given what has been playable to press versus public it’s tough to venture a guess.
Source

Wonder what that's all about.

KennyLinder said:
Just played the demo.

WHY is this 30fps?!?! Why?! Instant no buy, Sonic needs to be razor sharp and this is just sleepy.
I agree, 30fps just doesn't suit Sonic gameplay - makes it really difficult to make objects out etc when you're moving at frantic speed, especially in the 2D level. That said, this is on my rental list and I can't wait to slam through it, but 60fps and it would have been instabuy. As always with Sega, the get so many things right but always have to make one big fuck-up :(

EDIT: Really impressed with how colourful it all is though, especially given the amount of greys and browns most games are pumping out.

Dark Schala said:
Out of curiosity, did SEGA specify whether this game had dual-audio or not? They're usually really good with this, so I want to say "yes" based on Colours and Unleashed (HD).

I would guess so, there's even the possibility they might include all of the dub languages on the disc, since they're doing German, Italian etc dubs this time, not just English and Japanese.

Suairyu

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Just played the demo.

I'm curious to know how you tolerated the Mega Drive Sonic games, then.

Regardless, buy on PC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kulock said:
I would guess so, there's even the possibility they might include all of the dub languages on the disc, since they're doing German, Italian etc dubs this time, not just English and Japanese.
Thanks. I didn't know they were doing other dubs (or maybe I forgot *shrug*); that's kinda nice... if a French dub is included, I might use it for a bit. I like switching between the JP and Eng dubs as the game goes on, so extra dubs would be cool.

Combichristoffersen said:
What do you mean? Nutrition Matters = GOTG
Yeah, it's obviously awesome.

ShadiWulf

a friend just told me that a Shadow upgrade was discovered. Is this true? I don't want to go looking at the demo leaks myself. If so.. i guess I can't say I'm surprised with the person in charge of Sonic Team xD

Suairyu

Banned
Okay, quick thoughts on the demo:

Classic Sonic plays and feels very little like the Mega Drive games. Sonic is far too weighty, yet the air control is far too loose. It's a very odd mix. I'm sure once I'm used to it I'll be fine but it's disappointing they couldn't render a more accurate platforming engine.

Modern Sonic is like Unleashed, so that's good, yet somehow feels different. I dunno, maybe a little more restricted than in Unleashed? Will have to play more to see how I feel. A lot less 2D platforming than Colours so that's good at least.

And I actually don't think they captured the look or feel of Green Hill Zone very well at all, either Classic or Modern. Everything feels muted and claustrophobic. There's a blue sky but it doesn't feel like one. I dunno, hard to explain.

THAT SAID

I am very much looking forward to this game. Seems a solid entry. With time it might grow on me as something more. At least it is SEGA being consciously aware of what in theory makes a good Sonic game.

Ermm......
A recent GM scan reveals that the game has a shop where you can buy skill upgrades and such.....but how would you react if I told you that a SUPER PEEL OUT icon was in the demo files?

Game of the forever....

BTW, where can I read the Omochao spoilers regarding the final boss?

I wouldn't do this if was you, but if you really wanna know......

edit: removed because the spoiler tags are playing up
edit2 : find it here.

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/9422-hidden-assets-of-the-generations-demo-spoilers/page__view__findpost__p__374889

I would react by saying
it's visually a cool skill, but ultimately not all that useful since it leaves you open for damage

To be honest I agree, but Its amazing for nostalgic purposes that they even considered it IMO

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Absolutely loved the modern Sonic demo. Felt like what Unleashed should have been.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pics/scans of the Skill Shop are out there, as someone has already said.

Skills:
-Athleticism (200 pts) (Act 1/Act 2)
-Sure-footed (land on your feet after getting damaged) (500 pts) (Act 1/Act 2) (costs 20 SP to equip)
-Safety Net (1000 pts) (Act 1/Act 2)
-Last Chance (2000 pts) (Act 1/Act 2)
-10-Second Rings (1500 pts) (Act 1/Act 2)
-Shield (cost 1200 pts) (Act 1 only)

Also, an amusing pic of Classic Sonic probably meeting Modern Sonic and looking underwhelmed.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
Ermm......
A recent GM scan reveals that the game has a shop where you can buy skill upgrades and such.....but how would you react if I told you that a SUPER PEEL OUT icon was in the demo files?

Game of the forever....

I would react by saying
it's visually a cool skill, but ultimately not all that useful since it leaves you open for damage

Sciz

Dark Schala said:
Datamining the demo has turned up "Voice-Over Language" text.

Dark Schala said:

EDIT: Also, seems like Takashi Iizuka has something to share:

Source

Wonder what that's all about.
I kind of hope it's Crisis City.

I played the demo just now. Modern Sonic is so good. There's still some motion blur issues on the Classic Sonic on the PS3, but I can manage.

I feel that some of the personality is missing from the Classic segment.
Little touches like adding Sonic's 'push' animation and having animals break free from defeated enemies would've gone a long way in this regard.
I'm still hugely impressed overall. Little nitpicks here and there but none of them matter in the face of Sega finally getting what 2D Sonic is all about!

Top Bottom