• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
To be fair, I don't give a lot of credence to Famitsu scores because the reviews themselves are... hilarious to read.

But if you're so interested in simply score numbers as opposed to the review content (and Famitsu review content is always lacklustre, and thus the reviews aren't necessarily taken as seriously as they used to be), here.

Sonic Lost World [Wii U]: 9/9/9/9
Sonic Lost World [3DS]: 8/9/8/9

-----

As for actual content, Sonic Lost World's soundtrack is called "Sonic Lost World Original Soundtrack: Without Boundaries". It's a 3-disc set consisting of 93 BGMs. And it'll be out on November 27 (well, the disc-based version for importing from PA/CD Japan/Amazon Japan/whathaveyou) for 4200 yen.

As said before, Ohtani's basically in charge this time. 70 musicians in total, and they've noted that as usual, there is quite a bit of genre variation included throughout the soundtrack as the case has been with other Sonic soundtracks.

Cover:

l_525e40f43f3eavqsn7.jpg

I'm really not sure why they insist on bringing in 2D platforming in this game. The gameplay seems to work really well in 3D, and yet I don't think they aren't taking it to it's full potential. Even then, the 2D gameplay doesn't even look good. It's like a more stiff version of Sonic Generations. And then there's the auto running sections... Oh boy.

Not focusing on one style of gameplay is going to hurt the quality in the end.

I kinda like that cover. It's too bad I don't like the music I've heard so far.

Dougald

Looks great. Not getting my hopes up as I've found the recent sonic games to be hit and miss for me (I didn't get the hype over colors but loved Generations).

Thoraxes

As for actual content, Sonic Lost World's soundtrack is called "Sonic Lost World Original Soundtrack: Without Boundaries". It's a 3-disc set consisting of 93 BGMs. And it'll be out on November 27 (well, the disc-based version for importing from PA/CD Japan/Amazon Japan/whathaveyou) for 4200 yen.

As said before, Ohtani's basically in charge this time. 70 musicians in total, and they've noted that as usual, there is quite a bit of genre variation included throughout the soundtrack as the case has been with other Sonic soundtracks.

Cover:

l_525e40f43f3eavqsn7.jpg
Ah man, I love his stuff a lot too. Gonna snag this probably.

hatchx

Banned
I'm really not sure why they insist on bringing in 2D platforming in this game. The gameplay seems to work really well in 3D, and yet I don't think they aren't taking it to it's full potential. Even then, the 2D gameplay doesn't even look good. It's like a more stiff version of Sonic Generations. And then there's the auto running sections... Oh boy.

I disagree. Mario Galaxy pulled off the switch between 2D and 3D gameplay marvellously. I appreciate the variety in platformers.

With that said, I've been cautiously on the fence with Sonic since they announced it. Some of the videos I've seen look great, some look weird and stiff. We'll find out soon I guess.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I kinda like that cover. It's too bad I don't like the music I've heard so far.

I think the 2D does a decent job of bringing some variety to the game so I'm ok with it. With the mix of 3D and 2D we got lots of varied stage designs. But you are right. The 2D gameplay doesn't look up to the standard of the 3D gameplay. Still seems fun though.

Anyway my copy should arrive tomorrow. I shall post impressions here as soon as I can. Currently I have a Wii U without any games which is kind of weird. Without any games to play all I'm left with is a reminder just how shitty the actual console is...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Currently I have a Wii U without any games which is kind of weird. Without any games to play all I'm left with is a reminder just how shitty the actual console is...
I can see how you could find more value with a PS3 with no game through its multimedia capabilities, but the GamePad is a great way to browse Internet and watch videos.

Ferr986

To be fair, I don't give a lot of credence to Famitsu scores because the reviews themselves are... hilarious to read.

But if you're so interested in simply score numbers as opposed to the review content (and Famitsu review content is always lacklustre, and thus the reviews aren't necessarily taken as seriously as they used to be), here.

-----

Cover:

l_525e40f43f3eavqsn7.jpg

Do we know the other composers? Tokoi?Kumatani?

70 sounds like an error

I haven't been following this game, is there any word about whether the Deadly Six bonus edition content will be DLC etc later? It'll likely be a few years before I buy a WiiU but I'll pre-order the game now if there's no other way to get the content.

Exile20

-----

Cover:

l_525e40f43f3eavqsn7.jpg

Oh Sonic you are back to your old self.

Shinta

Banned
Getting Wii U on Friday, finally taking the plunge. So, this game and its extra 25 lives from pre-order will be mine.

So many lives! Imagine all the chances I could take.

TimmiT

My impressions so far:

Half the game is fun, half the game is mediocre or frustrating. Plot still sucks. Basically it's about as good as Sonic Colours except with the frustrating difficulty of Unleashed. Also they brought back medal collecting sort of, except now you have to collect Flickies.

I am so stoked for this game. Colors renewed my interest in the franchise and this looks to be just as great. Even if reviews are mediocre/bad, I'm sure I'll still get some enjoyment out of it.

I disagree. Mario Galaxy pulled off the switch between 2D and 3D gameplay marvellously. I appreciate the variety in platformers.

With that said, I've been cautiously on the fence with Sonic since they announced it. Some of the videos I've seen look great, some look weird and stiff. We'll find out soon I guess.

That's Mario, not Sonic. It's ok to bring in some variety, but only if both styles are of the same or better quality, like in Galaxy. The 2D gameplay here just doesn't look as good. The movement system looks really awkward in 2D. That's why I'm against it.

The auto running sections I don't like because the gameplay is just too different. It seems like a complete step back from what they are trying to do with the other 3D levels. I'm ok with the rolling level because it's not as different from other 3D stages.

TrueBlue

My impressions so far:

Half the game is fun, half the game is mediocre or frustrating. Plot still sucks. Basically it's about as good as Sonic Colours except with the frustrating difficulty of Unleashed. Also they brought back medal collecting sort of, except now you have to collect Flickies.

Which bits are frustrating/mediocre?

Shane to hear of the Flickies, is the collecting too intrusive?

Peff

Finished the first world and half of the second, so far it's a pretty interesting game:

- While the backgrounds are nowhere near as dense as Unleashed/Generations, it's still quite gorgeous thanks to the 720p/solid 60fps combo. It's also colourful, which helps.
- Cutscenes are cheesy fun like Colors, but it looks like it might turn to serious business later on. As usual with the latest titles, the game goes straight to the first level after some of that awesome Sega CG and you can choose any combination of voice and text available.
- Controls take some getting used to. Now that the boost button is gone, gaining momentum is a bit slow unless you use the spin dash. Parkour is especially awkward at first, at least until you can judge how long Sonic keeps running up the wall (very) and when to extend it with a jump.
- World map is neat. It's just an elaborate stage select screen, but there are unlockable bonus mini-games (variations of Arkanoid so far) and Chaos who give you "achievements" to do in any level. These might unlock something but I haven't done any yet.
- Online stuff in unavailable right now, as is the Deadly Six DLC, so I can't comment on that.
- The main level of each world is pretty good so far. The first one everybody knows, it has a bunch of little secrets and different paths, while the second has both 2D and 3D sections, the former being slower-paced and based on actual platforming/parkour while the latter is similar to Unleashed/Colors/Generations (it doesn't go too crazy with the layout though).
- 2D levels are a bit bland. They have a few gimmicks and they're not actively boring to go through or anything, but it's nothing too exciting. Something that is annoying at first is that Sonic keeps all his parkour abilities, so jumping close to the edge of a platform will make him latch to it. Red Rings are not particularly well concealed either.
- Wisp powers seem to be mostly optional, although most of the time a Wisp capsule means a Red Ring isn't far behind.
- Galaxy influence is certainly noticeable, but I think the game manages to stand out on its own.
- Music is great, but that's to be expected.

I'm not that far in, but unless something goes very wrong this should end up as the closest a modern Sonic has gotten to the 16-bit games. This is an iffy subject, so don't take that as gospel, just think of the game as some sort of missing link between the old games and the new ones.

EDIT: Flickies are not really an issue. The checkpoints are low enough that you should be getting way more than you need just by exploring the levels a little and killing enemies.

Teknoman

Do the enemy chains in the 3D sections feel awkward? The ones where Sonic seems to automatically bounce on several enemies.

My impressions so far:

Half the game is fun, half the game is mediocre or frustrating.

Elaborate please.

EDIT: Oh cool you have to explore the levels and rescue flickies? It really does seem more in line with what you'd expect from back in the day Sega.

Peff

It's not entirely automatic, the enemies are highlighted as you get closer, so you have to wait before doing the homing attack. It's generally harder to pull off perfectly than it's worth anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have the day off on Friday, so I'll keep tabs on reviews as well to add them to the OP. I think everyone's well-behaved enough so we don't have to make a review thread. It doesn't seem necessary to make one at this juncture.

Do we know the other composers? Tokoi?Kumatani?

70 sounds like an error
If it's a Sonic soundtrack, you'll see Tokoi and Kumatani featured on it in some capacity. Ohtani's heading up the musical direction of the soundtrack, so naturally, I'd expect something along the lines of Unleashed/Colours.

And I think I wrote this before in another thread, but the entire thing should be orchestrated, hence the "over 70 musicians" part of the article. That is, no vocal songs / Crush 40 bits.

Looks like this didn't have X/Y levels of security, haha. Impressions later.
Ooooh, lucky! Thanks for the impressions so far.

My question also relates to how chaining through enemies works. How does it feel speed and mechanic-wise?

And are the 2D levels single-path or multi-path? I know I probably shouldn't be asking that in a Sonic thread given that precedence has given us multipath level design in even Colours and Generations, but I just have to ask...

Basically it's about as good as Sonic Colours except with the frustrating difficulty of Unleashed. Also they brought back medal collecting sort of, except now you have to collect Flickies.
Which levels of Unleashed though? I'm thinking "Eggmanland" when I'm reading that.

TheOGB

Banned

Cover:

l_525e40f43f3eavqsn7.jpg
Aww yiss. Hope this comes to iTunes quickly. Love that cover art, but it's ridiculous. But I love it.

Looks like this didn't have X/Y levels of security, haha. Impressions later.
Oh shiiiiiiet

EDIT: Flickies are not really an issue. The checkpoints are low enough that you should be getting way more than you need just by exploring the levels a little and killing enemies.
That's what I figured when I first heard that they'd unlock levels. Thanks for the impressions
so jelly

Peff

Ooooh, lucky! Thanks for the impressions so far.

My question also relates to how chaining through enemies works. How does it feel speed and mechanic-wise?

And are the 2D levels single-path or multi-path? I know I probably shouldn't be asking that in a Sonic thread given that precedence has given us multipath level design in even Colours and Generations, but I just have to ask...

Mostly single path with the usual upper/red ring section and lower/easier section from time to time. If there's anything holding the game back it's precisely that these levels feel a bit like filler. As I said though, it's not like they're a disaster mechanically, just not really ambitious. Hopefully later in the game they get better.

My impressions so far:
Half the game is fun, half the game is mediocre or frustrating.

that doesn't sound good at all, I knew something was up when nintendo and sega both went really quiet so close to release. Surely with an exclusive on a struggling system you would expect some kind of push but there hasn't been anything and the game is out in 2 days.
I'm so glad i cancelled my pre-order.

that doesn't sound good at all, I knew something was up when nintendo and sega both went really quiet so close to release. Surely with an exclusive on a struggling system you would expect some kind of push but there hasn't been anything and the game is out in 2 days.
Nintendo has barely pushed anything of late, so it's not like that's any indication of the game's quality.

Also, they went and revealed Sonic in Smash 4, including a Lost World stage, at the beginning of the month, so it's not like they've done absolutely nothing.

NotLiquid

With Sega it's either "market the fuck out of everything" to the point of spoilers or just keep things on the downlow. Lost World got good coverage in the recent Directs so this is a step up from Generations' disastrous leak and subsequent trailers revealing everything. Including bosses. The game was disappointing because of how little there was else. Just a four hour game to chew on.

At least with Lost World it seems like they're finally getting variety and length down.

Dr. Buni

I think I will end up buying the 3DS version of this game, even though it doesn't look nearly as promising as the Wii U version.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Aren't you just reaching a bit?..

Teknoman

Nintendo hasnt even pushed Wonderful 101 or Zelda HD. And unless i'm not watching the right channels, I havent seen a Pokemon X & Y commercial yet (then again I usually hang on subscription services).

And honestly, Sonic games have been pretty well made for awhile now, I doubt Nintendo would let them break the chain with an exclusive.

TimmiT

I pretty much had the same opinion (bar difficulty) about Sonic Colours, so take my opinion for what you will.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My word of advice to those going in is to spend the first few levels getting used to the controls. Based on my time with it at PAX, they start off feeling really slippery and weird, not helped that you'll start unintentionally parkouring up things, or kind of be twitching around. However, when you start to adjusting, the extra control over his movements is actually very appreciated, and the game was obviously designed over this extra control. By the time I had finished playing the six levels, I feel the controls may be the best for a 3D Sonic title, but they're different to not only the other entries in the series but other platformers and take a bit to adjust too.

I've got the feeling when the game first comes out we'll have a few people complaining about the controls after beating the first level or two and then warming up to them.

daman824

My word of advice to those going in is to spend the first few levels getting used to the controls. Based on my time with it at PAX, they start off feeling really slippery and weird, not helped that you'll start unintentionally parkouring up things, or kind of be twitching around. However, when you start to adjusting, the extra control over his movements is actually very appreciated, and the game was obviously designed over this extra control. By the time I had finished playing the six levels, I feel the controls may be the best for a 3D Sonic title, but they're different to not only the other entries in the series but other platformers and take a bit to adjust too.

I've got the feeling when the game first comes out we'll have a few people complaining about the controls after beating the first level or two and then warming up to them.
I just hope reviewers aren't going to use the initial slippery feeling controls as a easy out for lowering the score.

I'm still salty from the game informer sonic generations review where they docked points for the mere inclusion of levels from bad sonic games. Not because the levels were bad in generations, but because looking at the stage reminded the reviewer of sonic 06.

I mean, Sonic games aren't nearly Mario level yet. But some reviewers seem to almost want to give sonic games bad scores lately and will lower the score any way they can.

Neoxon

I had to adjust to W101 initially and ended up loving it, so I hope it's a similar case here.

Ark

Would love to get some 3DS impressions from folks. I'll need to get this before Ace Attorney comes out ;)

Top Bottom