• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cuts PS Vita price to $199.99, reduces cost of memory cards

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The PlayStation Vita price cut you've been waiting for is finally here: Sony has just announced that the PS Vita's retail price is being slashed to $199 in the United States. That's down from its previous MSRP of $249.99. The portable is also being slashed to €199 across European territories. Better still, Sony has pledged to "make significant reductions" to the cost of memory cards for the Vita, which until now have been priced extraordinarily high compared with SD cards and other, non-proprietary flash memory. The 4GB Vita memory card now starts at $14.99, down from an original price of $19.99. 8GB cards have been reduced by $10 to $19.99, and both the 16GB (now $39.99) and 32GB ($79.99) have been slashed by $20.

Sony is undoubtedly hoping that the more appealing price point will help boost momentum of the sagging Vita. Retailers have already beaten Sony to the punch, however; Best Buy recently put both the Wi-Fi and 3G models of PS Vita on sale for $199.99. The Wi-Fi MSRP will now stick around, though the future of the cellular Vita SKU remains unclear.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So a 32gb card is now $60? Still about double the price it should be.

edit: oh, i read that as it WAS 80 and is now 60. If it's now 80, sony can continue to fuck themselves.

TUSR

Banned
If there is a decent in store offer somewhere ill probably pick this up.

Alone + card = too much

Cheap student life.

Alpende

Is GAF just coming back online or something? All new threads. Anyway, it's good they reduced the price, I might pick one up after I get the PS4

Getting closer to a price where I'd snap one and P4G up, although I can hold out a bit longer. Personally I'm waiting to see if any bundle deals end up around that price.

Still, good and necessary move on Sony's part.

BFIB

I ended up giving my Vita to my nephew, but if the remote play is going to be standard, then I might end up picking up another Vita down the road.

Fuck those memory card prices though.

So disappointed they didn't announce larger card sizes. I don't care if they're more expensive, I just don't want to be constantly deleting games.

Vita has...too many games.

Garjon

Great news for me, been after a Vita for Killzone Mercenary for a few weeks now. Hugely disappointed in the reduction in the cost of a memory card though, it's clear where Sony makes the most profit in terms of the hardware.

Stoof

Ugh they made it sound like a bigger price cut... I kind of want a Vita but if the 32GB memory card is still $80 then no thanks. :/

Shaanyboi

Banned
So a 32gb card is now $60? Still about double the price it should be.

edit: oh, i read that as it WAS 80 and is now 60. If it's now 80, sony can continue to fuck themselves.

I think they're implying it's now $80...

The hardware price seems fine to me, but the memory prices are still ludicrous.

RCizzle65

Neo Member
Card is still too expensive, and they should release a 64 gig version. My 32 is pretty full off just a few Vita, PS1, and PSP titles on there.

Five

Banned
Memory card prices are still nothing to boast about. I might end up getting another one, but I'll do my best to make do as it stands.

I wish there was a clear reason (aside from what seems to be price gouging) for the expense.

khaaan

I just bought a Vita :D

Although it made me miss my bus because I initially bought the AssCreed bundle but while walking out of the store I realized just the Vita was $20 less, I didn't want AssCreed and that I wanted a black one. By the time I made the exchange My bus was gone and now I won't get home till 8:30pm :(

I also kind of want the white Vita now. Someone hold me plz.

Top Bottom