• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cuts PS Vita price to $199.99, reduces cost of memory cards

Sajjaja

Everyone always wants more.

PS VITA Game Sizes

16GB for $40 will still provide you with a substantial amount of space to play/download digital games. 32GB is if you're going to use it for literally everything (lots of music and movies).

PS VITA Game Sizes

16GB for $40 will still provide you with a substantial amount of space to play/download digital games. 32GB is if you're going to use it for literally everything (lots of music and movies).

Titles like Persona and Uncharted together would take up half of that space. If you're going all digital, it doesn't leave much room to work with. Some people don't want to continuously juggle items through PSN (or even able to, with time or location), and 16 GB at 39.99 is still pricey in that market.

Arguments like yours is what is frustrating (to be honest, disgusting), because it's ignoring the actual issues and targeting the other side. Buying the hardware should be the bar of entry, not some little piece of plastic and copper.

Titles like Persona and Uncharted would take up half of that space. If you're going all digital, it doesn't leave much room to work with. Some people don't want to continuously juggle items through PSN (or even able to, with time or location), and 16 GB at 39.99 is still pricey in that market.

Arguments like yours is what is frustrating (to be honest, disgusting), because it's ignoring the actual issues and targeting the other side. Buying the hardware should be the bar of entry, not some little piece of plastic and copper.

Persona is 3gb o.o

PS VITA Game Sizes

No, 32GB is absolutely necessary if you buy digital, especially if you have PS+. I think I have 50-60GB of Vita games. If they were $50, I'd probably have three already to fit my PSP and PSOne games too.

Be nice if they did something about that "bend over backwards to have more than 1 region/account per vita" thing but I guess lower priced memory cards facilitates the process a little bit.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Oops I meant both haha. Will edit to clarify that.

Yeah, it's not quite 8gb between them.. but still.. the guy posting that 32gb is some kind of amazing amount of space is crazy.

If you got PS+ for any length of time that 32gb can disappear quick I'm sure.

32gb is enough to not be pissy about what you can and can't have on it.. but swapping to the PC or PS3 is time consuming and fuck that.. give me more space and cheaper.

qko

PS VITA Game Sizes

Wow that is some backwards thinking right there. I have a 3DS and I try to get everything digital nowadays. They even came out with a Cartridge to SD card transfer app for folks like me that are even getting some of the back catalog digitally.

Thanks to the 128GB class 10 Sandisk SD card I got for $45. I never have to worry about memory issues again. But you go ahead and get price gouged for that 16GB inferior memory card. It's your money.

Dragon

Banned
Wow that is some backwards thinking right there. I have a 3DS and I try to get everything digital nowadays. They even came out with a Cartridge to SD card transfer app for folks like me that are even getting some of the back catalog digitally.

Thanks to the 128GB class 10 Sandisk SD card I got for $45. I never have to worry about memory issues again. But you go ahead and get price gouged for that 16GB inferior memory card. It's your money.

I'm curious, since I have a 3DS as well. Can you back up saves to the cloud or do you strictly have to copy them over to a PC?

I agree the memory card prices are still awful but the Vita also has a lot on the 3DS and singling it out for just this issue is a bit myopic.

Nymphae

Banned
$80 is still insane for 32gb of memory. I buy less games because I have a 4gb card and no plans to get a bigger one. Come on Sony.

qko

I'm curious, since I have a 3DS as well. Can you back up saves to the cloud or do you strictly have to copy them over to a PC?

I agree the memory card prices are still awful but the Vita also has a lot on the 3DS and singling it out for just this issue is a bit myopic.

You can backup saves to another SD card, which would cost you about the same price as a month of PS+ or even for free if you use the SD card that came in the box. And guess what, you can keep those saves forever and not lose them when you unsubscribe because there is no subscription required.

Although the process is complicated, you can save a copy of your saves on a PC as well.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

PS VITA Game Sizes

I only use my Vita for games, have only had it since the end of November, and have been out of space on my 32 GB card for MONTHS now. Constantly having to delete/shuffle games around.

PS+ and all those PSP and PSOne games make that space disappear fast.

Strike

Sony has just announced that the PS Vita's retail price is being slashed to $199 in the United States.
Yay!
The 4GB Vita memory card now starts at $14.99, down from an original price of $19.99. 8GB cards have been reduced by $10 to $19.99, and both the 16GB (now $39.99) and 32GB ($79.99) have been slashed by $20.
Boooooo.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not dead certain, but hasn't it been possible to get a Vita for £199 for a long time in EU? Memory cards still to expensive IMO

Mael

Unless they also make a push at retailers to put it elsewhere than the ghetto rack it's usually under it'll mean nothing.
Seriously DS is more prominently shown at retailers right now...
I'm not even sure if new games make it to the shops!

quetz67

Banned
So will this actually change anything in Germany where it's already sold for less than 199€? Memory cards are still too expensive (imho).

Given the line-up I might consider one at 149€.

Edit:
You know what? Scratch that, make it 99€ and I might get one.

That is probably because you mostl like find one for 149€ soon - right?!? Got mine last christmas on Cyber Monday for 149€ incl. All Stars and LBP.

Duxxy3

You can get a vita with a 8gb card and 10 downloadable games for 200 euros on Amazon UK at the moment.

That's what they should push. The standalone unit with no extras is still a shitty value. Vita bundles at $199 are a decent value.

quetz67

Banned
You can get a vita with a 8gb card and 10 downloadable games for 200 euros on Amazon UK at the moment.

Was 179€ in germany, but bundle sold out.

And even with new releases still being sparse, existing library is pretty good, if you buy one now.

Gaogaogao

four (4) times as much as the equivalent micro sd on amazon is too much for your shitty proprietary memory card. I hope they switch to micro sd in a revision.

Billen

Banned
So Sony, for the PSP you went with the amazingly successful UMD. For the heir, after your "significant reduction", you keep charging 4 times the price of other memory solutions?

Sorry. No. Especially for a platform that revolves around digital downloads. Not a fucking chance.

SaSliXCII

Banned
I wasn't even hoping for a memory card price cut, that would be significant anyway. I know this is where they make the money they lose on the hardware, but at least offer me bigger fucking sizes!!! The way they push PSPlus you'd think they understand we need more space!

I wasn't even hoping for a memory card price cut, that would be significant anyway. I know this is where they make the money they lose on the hardware, but at least offer me bigger fucking sizes!!! The way they push PSPlus you'd think they understand we need more space!

This x 10000

Those prices don't irritate me at all, it's the freaking small sizes.
Give me that 64gb or 128gb cards and we're talking!

Until Memory card prices reach parity or atleast are CLOSE to SD card prices, Sony can fuck off. I'll make do with the 4gig that came with my system and just not buy any PSN games for it. No way am I paying 80 bucks for 32 fucking gigs. Get Bent Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
solus is £159 at shopto. Problem is a ton of retailers have already been heavily discounting it, so the Sony price cut really only lets them get a little bit of margin back. It'll take a while for them to discount further from the new Sony price.

Duster

Tescos have reduced the 32GB card to £49 ($76).
http://www.tesco.com/direct/psvita-memory-card-32gb/753-4195.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=753-4195

There have also been plenty of bundles around the £150-£160 mark, the one below was just under £140.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ps-...nted-digital-4gb-card-139-97-gamestop-1448658

Using that logic 200 euros (£170) for just the console is a price rise, of course that's not quite fair as they're sale prices not RRP, an official price-drop could lead to even cheaper deals.

Haines

Banned
200 is a good price for the hardware but I still far prefer the 3DS games so I think Im yet to bite on a Sony handheld.

RocBase

Until Memory card prices reach parity or atleast are CLOSE to SD card prices, Sony can fuck off. I'll make do with the 4gig that came with my system and just not buy any PSN games for it. No way am I paying 80 bucks for 32 fucking gigs. Get Bent Sony.

lol...mte.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Finally. :)

Though those memory card prices are still over the top expensive.. :/

Sony's insistence to push a stupid memory format is why I've boycotted them ever since they invented that. I've never owned Sony hardware and probably will not until they abolish that crap memory stick system.

Could not agree more. Sony is the only company I've ever actually boycotted I think. Been doing so for over 10 years now.

Doomshine

At first I was a little bummed when I heard about this since I recently bought one, but then I realized I paid roughly the same price for mine except I also got a 16gb memory card :p

Memory card prices are still insane though, I don't think I would buy a Vita for 200€ and a big memory card on top of that.

Honestly, this memory card situation is disgraceful. This is an incredibly severe showing of ineptitude and is just terrible value for customers, everything about it is wrong. Damn I wish they actually cared about this.

Rapstah

If I ever got one for P4G, no way in hell I'd buy anything bigger than an 8 GB memory card at those prices. That in itself means I wouldn't be impulse buying anything of substance from PSN. I get that they are aware of what they're losing money on, but this has to be a consequence of that pricing.

Top Bottom