• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cuts PS Vita price to $199.99, reduces cost of memory cards

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah, the Vita is intriguing to me as a 3DS owner with the price cut, but the memory card cost thing is still ridiculous. I'll keep waiting unless something really makes me think about picking one up.

JCX

Still too expensive for what will mostly be an offscreen play device for me. A ps4 with discounted Vita option would be interesting.

Skunkers

Memory card prices still aren't at that sweet spot yet, but regardless... soon, Sony... soon.

Agreed. What they really need to do, if they can't get the retail price on the cards down anymore, is bundle a free 16GB with the system (or put at least 16GB of onboard storage in addition to the card slot). That would at least help get the systems out there since the "hidden" costs of the cards make the system a non-starter for many.

Grayman

Memory card prices are still nothing to boast about. I might end up getting another one, but I'll do my best to make do as it stands.

I wish there was a clear reason (aside from what seems to be price gouging) for the expense.
If you want to call it price gouging that is the exact reason. The memory cards are a high margin item that the low margin system requires to run. There is no mystery to solve, sony is charging you 4x the price of a standard memory card to keep the money.

Mupod

Well, it's a start. 80 bucks for 32 gigs is still awful considering that if I got this system I'd be 100% digital.

I'm sure there will be some decent deals before the end of the year though.

Just ordered the Walking Dead bundle from Amazon since it comes with the game and a 4gb card for $199.99. It has no release date on it. wtf

Tiktaalik

lowering of memory card price is a pleasant surprise, but still, 32gig SD card is $19 on amazon right now.

Anyway I've been waiting a while to pick up a Vita so I'll be getting one tomorrow I guess.

Remember these are just RRP's. places were already selling this stuff at those prices so in theory they can now sell for even less.

Mem cards are still expensive but you can get by on an 8-16 if you arnt going full digital.

I got a 32 gig card for about £50 ages ago on amazon and they are normally about £70. So you might see them drop to about £40 ish at times. Prob be able to get a 16 for £20 if you look around. Not that bad if you are prepared to look / wait for a deal.

rjc571

Banned
Great, so now the 32 gig card is only 2.5 times the price it needs to be, rather than 3x like it was before. ZZZZZ.... wake me up when you're serious Sony.

Mileena

Banned
Should have been $200 with 16GB memory included. Still I don't care what the price is with that lineup of stuff shown today, no interest at all outside of being a PS4 gamepad.

ohlawd

hmm now I gotta wait for outlets to have their occasional deals for the 32 gig - will pick that up when it goes to 50/60.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Those prices are terrible for my liking, oh well it doesn't matter as I am just fine with my 3DS and PSP.

The Vita can still keep waiting for me.

Chris R

I don't know if it is physically possible, but a new model at the $199 price point that just takes microSD cards would be killer. So many games shown today, and then the PS4 remote play stuff, awesome time to own a Vita.

bomblord

Banned
If I buy a used one use my $25 off a used system, trade in my PSP + games for it + 50% extra trade credit coupon I could easily knock the price under $100. I may get one now.

Yuterald

omg $80 for the 32G still? God, fuck off with that shit. Hey, Sony, maybe I would download more games on my Vita if I could actually fucking afford to store them!

Those memory prices are still ludicrously expensive. My poor 8 GB card just wants some relief from all this backing up to PC, deleting things to make room, copying things back over. You're doing God's work, little buddy. ;_;

Price drop is nice, I do like my Vita, but Sony really needs to have a 199 model WITH a memory card. Something like an 8 gig or a 16 gig would go a long way at 199.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Memory card prices still suck.. should have been a larger cut on those.

Sony being Sony still and not seeing the big picture.

You made what is essentially a DD handheld, with basically NO INTERNAL MEMORY and then priced the memory cards 4x more than the standard price for memory.

Good news is $80 should mean like $60 on Amazon soon though.. and then I'll buy it.. reluctantly.... because the other fucking issues with them..

THEY ARE TOO GODDAMNED SMALL TO BE CHANGING. There's not even a good way to mark them as to what's what.. so it's not like you can have a couple of 8gb with different games.. or a couple of 16gb and want to change them.. because.. they are the size of my damn pinkie nail.

Why not just us SD.. it's not like your system is tiny or anything.. there's room. .and standard SD size is perfect for storing and what not.

Since I got a Vita.. it's pretty much my biggest gripe.

I have a 4gb and a 8gb right now.. and it's a bitch to swap.. so the 4gb is basically garbage.

Duxxy3

The memory cards still need another 40% knocked off.

Even so, this should put the vita over 15k/week for a while. More than that if the Killzone bundle is also $199.

Loofy

Does Sony allow you to easily swap games in and out of a PC or external harddrive from the memory card?

Auskeek

This is the best part of the price cut news.

Vita will obviously continue to bomb, and retailers will continue to offer deals.

Can it go as low as $150?

My thoughts exactly. Its been down to 199 plus Soul Sacrifice here plenty of times, so a drop to 269aud isn't enticing on its own.

Top Bottom