• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cuts PS Vita price to $199.99, reduces cost of memory cards

rcl66

Are the new prices actually in effect at stores? Looking on amazon they 8GB and 16GB cards are still $4 more than the prices on Sony's blog. Only the 32GB one is the actually priced to match their new prices. Anyone tried best buy or target?

Wondering if its worth buying a 32gb card and selling my 8 and 4gb.. swapping is such a pia.

Iorv3th

Wow that's an awesome bundle. Too bad it isn't in sexy white :(

...and on that note, will North America ever see a red bundle like Japan?

I think they are going to have to start selling a lot more units to make it feasible.

Are the new prices actually in effect at stores? Looking on amazon they 8GB and 16GB cards are still $4 more than the prices on Sony's blog. Only the 32GB one is the actually priced to match their new prices. Anyone tried best buy or target?

Wondering if its worth buying a 32gb card and selling my 8 and 4gb.. swapping is such a pia.

Weird the other day I thought they had it lower. I know gamestop is lower as I just bought my wife the vita that comes with a year of plus and got a refurbished 16gb card for like 30$.

I can't find any retailer with the new memory card prices. :(

Erasus

Sony's insistence to push a stupid memory format is why I've boycotted them ever since they invented that. I've never owned Sony hardware and probably will not until they abolish that crap memory stick system.

Oh, like 360 using non standard HDDs? Just as bullshitty.
I agree these prices are really bad, just let it use SD cards...

Johnny

$199 is a solid price, so long as there's a 4GB memory card included with that, like you see with the 3DS XL. $80 for a 32GB memory card is still ridiculous however when quality microSD cards that size run 1/4 the price. Anything more than $30 is a rip off. Larger sizes wouldn't hurt either.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Had this happened back in April, I would've gotten a Vita instead of a 3DS. Good move by Sony. Now, to wait for Black Friday...

rcl66

So is connecting to PC the fastest way to transfer stuff from old smaller cards onto larger cards? Ordered a 32gb with the gamespot deal last week and need to move everything over.

Also will any mini-usb cable work?

casmith07

So is connecting to PC the fastest way to transfer stuff from old smaller cards onto larger cards? Ordered a 32gb with the gamespot deal last week and need to move everything over.

Also will any mini-usb cable work?

No, only the Vita cable works. You also need to download the management tool.

You'll plug it in, back everything up, then put in your bigger card, and then transfer the backup back to the Vita. It can also do this via WiFi if you set it up.

Total cost of a Vita + 32GB card went from $350 to $280. $70 price cut.

Really? Thats what I paid for a brand new Vita and 32GB card 4 months ago. Yes, the Vita was on sale and the 32gb card was imported from UK but cmon Sony! Make the Vita +32gb card $200 and you would get a lot of guys off the fence and onto the Vita train.

I picked this one up this past weekend that included an 8GB memory card and I bought an additional 8GB one. While I can not hold every game I own, it holds a number of them it I don't anticipate it being a real problem.

As far as the Vita is concerned, I LOVE Spelunky on Vita. Killzone beta has also been fun.

rcl66

No, only the Vita cable works. You also need to download the management tool.

You'll plug it in, back everything up, then put in your bigger card, and then transfer the backup back to the Vita. It can also do this via WiFi if you set it up.

The official Vita USB cable I assume...

Is wifi a viable option? Because wifi downloads from PSN are super slow, but that may just be psn.

Danj

Has the Vita been pricedropped in Europe as well? I could definitely consider getting one given that I have a few games on it already thanks to PS+.

casmith07

The official Vita USB cable I assume...

Is wifi a viable option? Because wifi downloads from PSN are super slow, but that may just be psn.

Yeah, official Vita cable.

Downloads are fast for me, but that's more my connection than it is the Vita.

For photos, WiFi is sufficient. Otherwise you're better off using the Vita USB cable.

Does the new Walking Dead bundle actually have a 3G Vita in it? The boxart and descriptions on Amazon, etc. say it does, but I assumed they were phasing out the 3G model after hearing all models were $199.

pubba

I've been patiently waiting to get a Vita since I first read about the ps4 connectivity stuff.

Bought a brand new wifi Vita a few days ago here in China and foolishly assumed it would have at least 2 to 4GB of internal memory.

Nope.

After Another 45 minute train trip to the city today I bought a 32GB card for $75 USD which I thought was a rip-off, but it seems to be slightly less than what you guys are paying.

Turn it on , go to the store and it says I have to do a system update. Been trying to download it over wifi for the last 4 hours but it keeps timing out.

Can't wait to play Guacamalee!

Vita owners: are there any good top-down dungeon crawler action RPG games? Something like the baldur gate games on Xbox/ps2

So, to summarise:
- Memory cards are still a rip-off.
- There's still no HDMI-out.
- Literally everything is still proprietary, expensive to replace and consumer-unfriendly.
- There are still almost no games really worth buying.

Note the abundance of the word 'still'. Status quo won't cut it, Sony! Are you a bad enough dude to save the Vita?

Tygamr

Plan on picking one up. Do you guys recommend the just the wi-fi version or get the 3G version as well?

Well, aren't the 3G models the same price as the WiFi models now? The biggest advantage the 3G model has over the WiFi model, other than the obvious 3G, is that it has GPS. Some games and apps use it. You should be fine with just a WiFi model though. All 3G is good for is web browsing, asynchronous multiplayer games (some realtime multiplayer games do work though, like Blazblue and Ragnarok Odyssey), and video streaming when you don't have WiFi.

AwRy108

Vita owners: are there any good top-down dungeon crawler action RPG games? Something like the baldur gate games on Xbox/ps2

Dungeon Hunter Alliance is as close as it gets on the Vita, and it's not a bad game now that it's no longer $40.

So, to summarize:
- Memory cards are still a rip-off. correct
- There's still no HDMI-out. correct, and who cares--it's a portable gaming device
- Literally everything is still proprietary, expensive to replace and consumer-unfriendly. incorrect
- There are still almost no games really worth buying. if you're still saying this, then the Vita is not for you; also, your head is in your arse.

pubba

Dungeon Hunter Alliance is as close as it gets on the Vita, and it's not a bad game now that it's no longer $40.

Thanks!

Have to admit my experience hasn't been too great so far. It feels nice to hold, looks great and I like the Muzak that plays in the menus. It's retarded not to include internal memory. Hell, even 512MB would be ok to try it a demo or two.

Now I've gone out and bought one of their overpriced memory cards and wasted a whole evening trying to do the compulsory system update.

When I try to download a demo now, the system hangs on a 'preparing to download' screen and I've tried waiting for 15-20 minutes but nothing happens. I need to do a cold reboot.

Yay. Vita.

quetz67

Banned
Does the new Walking Dead bundle actually have a 3G Vita in it? The boxart and descriptions on Amazon, etc. say it does, but I assumed they were phasing out the 3G model after hearing all models were $199.

The official bundle on Sony website definitiley has the 3G - probably BECAUSE they are phasing it out.

Ramma2

Saw one on the shelf today when I was at Best Buy, it was the 3G model.

Ketch

The mark up on the memory cards is so rediculous that even when they slash the prices by $20 it's still way too much.

Damn their proprietary bullshit.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sony should learn something or two from the 2DS announcement and make a 2nd and cheaper alternative version of Vita, drop the oled screen and get smaller tft lcd and have smaller Vita with smaller battery,one speaker, cheaper material(like PSP street) and throw it for $150 or less.

qko

Indies can put as many games as they want to on the thing, but if the memory cards don't get a huge price cut, I would not want "Fridge-style" Memory erasing to be the solution because look at how that worked out for Wiiware. By the time Nintendo got their business together on the memory side of things it was too late and they still had to keep limits on memory sizes.

I bought a lot of dsiware on the 3DS until the internal memory ran out. Then I stopped buying. The impulse buy factor gets lost when it becomes a chore to clear out memory. It wasn't a good solution with the Wii, its not a good solution with the Vita. And I will not be plunking down $50+ for flash memory if its less than 64GB.

smr00

Banned
Sony should learn something or two from the 2DS announcement and make a 2nd and cheaper alternative version of Vita, drop the oled screen and get smaller tft lcd and have smaller Vita with smaller battery,one speaker, cheaper material(like PSP street) and throw it for $150 or less.
Vita without OLED? One of the biggest selling points of the Vita is it's gorgeous screen.

qko

Vita without OLED? One of the biggest selling points of the Vita is it's gorgeous screen.

Nintendo thought that was the selling point of the 3DS, the 3D.

In reality, the biggest selling point should be the games, not the screen. Sony should consider it.

AwRy108

Thanks!

Have to admit my experience hasn't been too great so far. It feels nice to hold, looks great and I like the Muzak that plays in the menus. It's retarded not to include internal memory. Hell, even 512MB would be ok to try it a demo or two.

Now I've gone out and bought one of their overpriced memory cards and wasted a whole evening trying to do the compulsory system update.

When I try to download a demo now, the system hangs on a 'preparing to download' screen and I've tried waiting for 15-20 minutes but nothing happens. I need to do a cold reboot.

Yay. Vita.

The download issue is one that's existed for several months now and has yet to be addressed. Lots of people are upset by it. You should be able to tell if the system is going to hang at the download after about 30 seconds; once it does, reset the system, load up the store, click the icon in the lower right, select "Download List" and then start the download from there--it works every time.

Give yourself some time to get accustomed to the interface and all of the great ways that it integrates the social aspects of PSN. Also, the GAF Vita thread is your friend, especially for game recommendations. Oh, and be sure to grab all of the PS+ content, especially Uncharted and Wipeout. Feel free to send me a Friend Request--my PSN ID is the same as my GAF handle.

Finally, be sure to get the Killzone Mercenary Beta--it'll justify every penny you've spent so far.

Sid

These memory card prices are ridiculous especially for a platform heavily depended on DD.Sony valued short term profits over long term and it's biting them back.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Not really. for handhelds it's just about low price and games.

also I'm talking about an alternative cheaper version just like 2DS which cut the 3D from 3DS and 3D was the "magic" of that device, if people want oled screen the normal Vita is still there, if people don't care and want cheaper (and smaller) Vita then that option should be available to them as well and really everyone do this, Samsung offer cheaper and smaller versions of Galaxy, Apple will do it soon, Nintendo doing it and Sony should learn from these guys, there is no shame of seeing what other company are making and copy the good ideas.

The memory cards need to drop some more before that happens.

Only allowing their own memory sticks to work really kills this thing. If they went the same route they go with their console harddrives and allowing any standard laptop hdd,the vita would be such a great friggin deal right now.

Triz

This cracks me up. Nintendo is taking away the main feature of the 3DS (the 3D) and people are suggesting Sony should take away the best feature of the Vita (that glorious OLED?)

Dont let crazy Nintendo decisions steer you toward crazy Sony ones.

HeadphoneSlave

Neo Member
Maybe I'll get this now. Though there might not be enough games to convince me that it's worth dropping that much money on it when I already have a 3DS.

I'm still not seeing price drops here in the US. Walmart, Meijer, GameStop (I had to inform them), M&P shops, and pawn shops are still following the old prices.

No point in a price drop if these retailers aren't specifically told. Customers are continuing to see the old prices, not that the new prices are much better.

Magwik

Banned
I'm still not seeing price drops here in the US. Walmart, Meijer, GameStop (I had to inform them), M&P shops, and pawn shops are still following the old prices.

No point in a price drop if these retailers aren't specifically told. Customers are continuing to see the old prices, not that the new prices are much better.

Where do you live where you aren't seeing these?

Top Bottom