• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files third trademark application for "The Last Guardian"

weekev

Banned
2015, the year Nintendo went mobile, Sony stealth released TLG in time for the holidays, Half Life 3 VR revealed and Microsoft finally revealed a new Conker game.

Believe

Kriken

Can't wait for it to be reannounced for 2016, complete with a new trailer, only to never hear from it again until 2020

Also, it has to be.

1403876823frnXxyM.gif

mclem

They've tried everything else to get the game out, now they're trying chanting its name three times while looking in a mirror.

I know I shouldn't be getting excited about this but I'm finding myself swamped with what feels suspiciously like hype.

Sony's willingness to pay the hundreds of dollars to renew this particular trademark is clearly some indicator of the incredible progress they've made with its development.

2018 release year or 2017?

They will release it the same year they re-announce it is my guess. So if they announce it this E3 I expect it to launch by the end of the year.
After all the years of waiting that's the best they can do. Waiting several more years after a re-announcement would the last thing I want.

Javin98

Banned
The Last Guardian will appear at E3 2015 confirmed! With a surprise release during holiday 2015
It has to be, right? Right?!

Fury451

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;156268174 said:
Do people seriously think this game is dead?
I'm positive its coming.

But what will it have become when it arrives?

I'm hoping for a Cooking Mama/DDR hybrid just for laughs. The meltdown would be apocalyptic.

valkyre

Are people seriously thinking of getting hyped about this? :p

These news sound indiferent to me. Would be great if true. But I just dont consider thinking about it at all. Its no news to me.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How many times can they do this?

If there's a limit, I guess that represents an upper bound on TLG's - doubtless now highly productive! - development schedule.

Until they rename it to something else, I guess.

Fury451

Banned
Am I the only one who doesn't get all the hype around this game?

Nope. It's largely because Team Ico can be considered creators of back to back masterpieces (your mileage may vary IMO, but Colossus at least was mostly excellent), even though nothing was really known of this to even indicate it would be any good. I think the hype at this point is more a running joke, as the game won't set the world on fire when it comes out.

Basically, Team Ico has an auteur license within the Sony ranks.

They will release it the same year they re-announce it is my guess. So if they announce it this E3 I expect it to launch by the end of the year.
After all the years of waiting that's the best they can do. Waiting several more years after a re-announcement would the last thing I want.
I don't want any more delays but how many years have we went without the last guardian game after it was announced?

Fury451

Banned
If you ever played Shadow of the Colossus or ICO then you'd be hyped.

Even as a fan (mostly of Colossus, Ico I couldn't really enjoy admittedly) it's been far too long since they released a game to simply take it on faith that this will be a gaming masterpiece that was worth the delay of a whole console generation (one of the longest too) and secrecy that would put the CIA to shame. Especially since we only knew of a basic concept, with no real details on how any of it works, or whether it's even the same game anymore at this stage.

Hype for what? No one knows what the game is and the studio hasn't put anything out since the ps2 era.

Exactly.

『Inaba Resident』;156268174 said:
Do people seriously think this game is dead?
I'm positive its coming.
Seriously. They wouldn't constantly say it's coming if it wasn't. Hopefully this isn't what Sony is relying on to sell consoles at the end of the year, esp with the way the previous two games have sold by the Candy Crush master.

You have The Last Guardian and Horizon coming at the end of the year.

valkyre

If you ever played Shadow of the Colossus or ICO then you'd be hyped.

I was super hyped for so long, only for the hype to be gloriously shot down.

So yeah, while Team Ico's works are some of my favorites, I had enough effing hype for the past 5+ years or so. Now , whenever I hear "The Last Guardian" nothing happens.

Even as a fan (mostly of Colossus, Ico I couldn't really enjoy admittedly) it's been far too long since they released a game to simply take it on faith that this will be a gaming masterpiece that was worth the delay of a whole console generation (one of the longest too) and secrecy that would put the CIA to shame. Especially since we only knew of a basic concept, with no real details on how any of it works, or whether it's even the same game anymore at this stage.

Exactly.

Yeah I agree, SotC and ICO were special because they were unique for their time, at least for me anyway. TLG would need it's own identity.

Top Bottom