• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

It's a shame Sony will be unable to save the Japanese console market. If they could have somehow succeeded there and managed to get Japanese development excited for consoles again it would have been amazing.

Its been out for six months, lets not close the coffin just yet.

You guys are right, of course. I'm just being a dumb fool and trying to save some face. I backed the wrong horse and I feel like an absolute jackass now. My friend once bet me that the PS3 would overtake the 360 after 3 years on market and I mocked the sh*t out of him after he lost that bet because he was so smug and so confident that it would happen. Karma is f****** real. I know that now. I didn't even care except to rub it in his face and in the faces of people like him. "They'll win cause they're sony and they always win". I call it the sony smugness. F**** annoying.

So after the xb1/ps4 launches, he bet me that ps4 would have a 2:1 edge at the end of 2015. I took that bet and ran. Sure, Microsoft can't f*** this sh*t up that badly, can they? They had the damn dudebro's eating out of their damn hands. Holy sh*t. I was their #1 motherf**** fan. I deserve this because I couldn't take the high road when I won that initial bet. This sh** is PS2 vs. XB all over again damn. 125mil + to probably 38 mil if they're lucky. They're gonna 3:1 these asses. Now he's gonna have that sh** grin wide as the f***** mississippi when I see him in a couple months.

Sure they could maybe pull a "kinect" out of their asses again to make it more respectable but that's a long shot at best. These guys. These f******* guys. DRM. Shit hardware. F***** the indies early and often. Being cheap as f***** where it counted. Spending assloads of benjamins on NFL and other TV sh** no one gives two sh** about. $499 and mandatory kinect? Are you sh***** me? Where's the hidden cameras? Input One? How about Input None you epic friggin' fools. Now they're trying to play catch up like a fat man tryin' to catch a runaway dog. Lassie's long gone home muthaf****.

Sony's got you beat in every facet that matters: games, price, power, brand, mindshare, etc, etc. et muthaf**** c. You did this. You deserve all of this. You could have paid someone to come up with the worst possible way to launch a follow up console to the 360 and he wouldn't be able to come up with half the f*** up sh** they ended up with. Holy sh**. Unbelievable. I'm done.

a3afe.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
This is a fair evaluation. My question, then, is, even if Microsoft loses, is it necessarily a bad venture?

Multi-tiered answer.

If you're a gamer, it's still perfectly possible that you own an XBO and it's very successful in delivering great games. Many already love the system.

If you're looking at it in terms of if Microsoft will consider it a positive venture, that depends entirely on whether they can turn their reduced margins into a profit. So far, they have lost a lot of money on XBO according to their last quarterly results. And it is well known that internally they have made it very clear that the Xbox Division needs to start being profitable. They have tons of money, but that doesn't mean they want this sort of thing to go on indefinitely. There will be another Xbox, but things like this are not good at all.

GoldenA

Enough people have PS4s now that most likely those on the fence would choose one over an xbox because they know more people with one. Media coverage will (and already) skew towards the PS4 as it gets more clicks which on turn leads to more exposure for the console

SFenton

Totally forgot about Amplitude... and I backed it no less. :p

Kinda surprised how varied the PS4 lineup is. There really is something for everyone.

Right? It's always "I don't need a PS4... oh crap I backed Amplitude and I don't want to buy a PS3 gah fine Harmonix you win maybe."

Amir0x

Banned
You guys are right, of course. I'm just being a dumb fool and trying to save some face. I backed the wrong horse and I feel like an absolute jackass now. My friend once bet me that the PS3 would overtake the 360 after 3 years on market and I mocked the sh*t out of him after he lost that bet because he was so smug and so confident that it would happen. Karma is f****** real. I know that now. I didn't even care except to rub it in his face and in the faces of people like him. "They'll win cause they're sony and they always win". I call it the sony smugness. F**** annoying.

So after the xb1/ps4 launches, he bet me that ps4 would have a 2:1 edge at the end of 2015. I took that bet and ran. Sure, Microsoft can't f*** this sh*t up that badly, can they? They had the damn dudebro's eating out of their damn hands. Holy sh*t. I was their #1 motherf**** fan. I deserve this because I couldn't take the high road when I won that initial bet. This sh** is PS2 vs. XB all over again damn. 125mil + to probably 38 mil if they're lucky. They're gonna 3:1 these asses. Now he's gonna have that sh** grin wide as the f***** mississippi when I see him in a couple months.

Sure they could maybe pull a "kinect" out of their asses again to make it more respectable but that's a long shot at best. These guys. These f******* guys. DRM. Shit hardware. F***** the indies early and often. Being cheap as f***** where it counted. Spending assloads of benjamins on NFL and other TV sh** no one gives two sh** about. $499 and mandatory kinect? Are you sh***** me? Where's the hidden cameras? Input One? How about Input None you epic friggin' fools. Now they're trying to play catch up like a fat man tryin' to catch a runaway dog. Lassie's long gone home muthaf****.

Sony's got you beat in every facet that matters: games, price, power, brand, mindshare, etc, etc. et muthaf**** c. You did this. You deserve all of this. You could have paid someone to come up with the worst possible way to launch a follow up console to the 360 and he wouldn't be able to come up with half the f*** up sh** they ended up with. Holy sh**. Unbelievable. I'm done.

Ok i am seriously confused now. is someone else using your account lol

Wtf(what the foxtrot)

And in the long gone yesteryear
Don Mattrick's words made Redmond cheer
"Ten million first shall win this race!"
He said, with grin upon his face.

"The coming battle shall be won right here,
With games like Halo and Forza and Gears."
He ended his statement with a triumphant nod
Secure in his love from the gaming gods

His words stoked fires among the fans
Each camp clenched swords in bloodied hands
The system warz began again
Three noble fighters, each sure to win

Microsoft, of course, had their white box
Sleek, and powerful, and filled with lots
Of games to play with friends new and old
Or even watch Netflix (if you paid for Gold)

The box upon which SCE was betting
Had power, confusion, and printer settings
The games would look and run so swell
If developers could handle the goddamn Cell

And in the third corner of the ring
Stood the tiny offering from the former king
An innovative waggle-box called the Wii
Would eventually win, quite handily

But fear not brave warriors! War is not through!
Nintendo returned with the shiny WiiU!
It's a console! It's a tablet! It's both things combined!
It's the word "underwhelming," redefined

The other two fighters each had a son
The 360 gave birth to the Xbox One
Underpowered, TV-focused, and chained to Kinect
It struggles to gain traction, or even respect

PS3's new child has shot up the charts
Sleek and powerful, with a gaming heart
It seems quite destined to stay far ahead
Unless Sony acts like Sony and shits in the bed

But now that Gamescom '14 is here at long last
Words did echo from deep in the past
"The first to 10 million shall win at all cost!"
Hung from Microsoft's neck like a stone albatross

So now Tokyo laughs as Redmond sneers
And Laura Croft's eyes well up with tears
For bad news has arrived for the mighty Xbone
PS4 was the first to reach Don's milestone

This... this is beautiful.

It's a shame Sony will be unable to save the Japanese console market. If they could have somehow succeeded there and managed to get Japanese development excited for consoles again it would have been amazing.
Still too early to say this; we'll see what happens when FFXV and KHIII drop.

Lol

Once some games that Japanese gamers actually fucking care about are on there it'll be fine, I'd say- it won't hit PS2 numbers, but it'll do okay for itself.

No way it hits ps2 numbers, but I don't think it will have the huge drop off from ps3 some people expect

Nyoro SF

Well... it's a good summary.

But I think this is what happens when you pull your foot out of your digestive system a little too fast.

5045c15aafa96f1e19000472.gif

open_mouth_
insert_foot_

I'm sorry for your loss. The grieving process is tough I know.

The meltdowns.

this meltdown is going to go down in history. i feel it

And in the long gone yesteryear
Don Mattrick's words made Redmond cheer
"Ten million first shall win this race!"
He said, with grin upon his face.

"The coming battle shall be won right here,
With games like Halo and Forza and Gears."
He ended his statement with a triumphant nod
Secure in his love from the gaming gods

His words stoked fires among the fans
Each camp clenched swords in bloodied hands
The system warz began again
Three noble fighters, each sure to win

Microsoft, of course, had their white box
Sleek, and powerful, and filled with lots
Of games to play with friends new and old
Or even watch Netflix (if you paid for Gold)

The box upon which SCE was betting
Had power, confusion, and printer settings
The games would look and run so swell
If developers could handle the goddamn Cell

And in the third corner of the ring
Stood the tiny offering from the former king
An innovative waggle-box called the Wii
Would eventually win, quite handily

But fear not brave warriors! War is not through!
Nintendo returned with the shiny WiiU!
It's a console! It's a tablet! It's both things combined!
It's the word "underwhelming," redefined

The other two fighters each had a son
The 360 gave birth to the Xbox One
Underpowered, TV-focused, and chained to Kinect
It struggles to gain traction, or even respect

PS3's new child has shot up the charts
Sleek and powerful, with a gaming heart
It seems quite destined to stay far ahead
Unless Sony acts like Sony and shits in the bed

But now that Gamescom '14 is here at long last
Words did echo from deep in the past
"The first to 10 million shall win at all cost!"
Hung from Microsoft's neck like a stone albatross

So now Tokyo laughs as Redmond sneers
And Lara Croft's eyes well up with tears
For bad news has arrived for the mighty Xbone
PS4 was the first to reach Don's milestone

Damn! Fixed :)

riker.gif

Edit:
open_mouth_ ... why are you so emotionally invested in MS? They are just a corporation like any other who is out to get money. Sony is no different in that regard too. But Sony is simply offering the superior product this round and it looks like the public at large is aware of this and responding accordingly.

jayu26

I'm starting to think to really did lose a bet.

Either that or you trolled everyone and managed to not get banned.

Bundy

Banned

bM8bowD.gif

Trey

You guys are right, of course.

I guess some people go in for this stuff. It's just games, man. It's not really about backing horses. It's about playing games you enjoy. And finding like minded people to play games with - to share in positive experiences. To have fun.

The meta surrounding this medium can be intoxicating, I understand. But it's best to not get caught up in the things that frankly don't matter to us consumers. There will always be competition if we allow it; publishers will bend to our whims if we demand it. The only thing you have to do is enjoy the wide selection of games that we have access to.

Skenzin

Banned
Here are the facts.

- In the US, MS lost the race when launched at $100 more with weaker hardware, citing a peripheral people stopped caring about two years prior.

- The whole console was designed by a team of suits chasing the Wii Fad. They ignored/took for granted the dudebros and they got burnt. Sony said, 'We'll take those dudebros' and the rest is history.

- Only way MS can get back int eh race is if they are constantly cheaper than ps4, because otherwise they offer no credible incentive to not get a ps4.

Holykael1

Banned

I'm dieing over here. Thanks for the laughs.

Here are the facts.

- In the US, MS lost the race when launched at $100 more with weaker hardware, citing a peripheral people stopped caring about two years prior.

- The whole console was designed by a team of suits chasing the Wii Fad. They ignored/took for granted the dudebros and they got burnt. Sony said, 'We'll take those dudebros' and the rest is history.

- Only way MS can get back int eh race is if they are constantly cheaper than ps4, because otherwise they offer no credible incentive to not get a ps4.

Pretty much this. Even at console price parity - the Xbox is seen by everyone (and for the most part, with good reason) a slightly less powerful PS4. So they either need to undercut Sony's price to reflect that value/power ratio, or put out a strong lineup of compelling software.

KoopaTheCasual

I feel like this has to be a really dedicated troll account and now you're going for the glamorous meltdown payoff.

If this is actually serious.... Dude, it's just video games. Go outside, and take a break from forums. Go hiking or kiss someone on the mouth. Anything is more worth your time than.... this.

Occam

Here are the facts.

I think bad public image after trying to destroy gaming as we know it played a role, too.

soakrates

Well, f***...

vcc

Disagree seeing how well apple products are selling over there

Different product category and different company.

Phones as a prestige item have a bigger draw for luxury expenditures than a console. The people who would care about you having a high end console are not as broad as the ones who care about you having a phone. China is very status sensitive and the iPhone trades on it's prestige there. Neither the XB1 nor the PS4 would do well trading on prestige.

MS marketing acumen nowhere near even modern declining Apples acumen. Look up how well windows phones are doing in china.

They aren't likely to be many who would save up a months wages for a PS4 or XB1 while many want to get a iPhone as a status accessory.

What's interesting to me: the PS4 is currently tracking near Wii numbers, yet the Wii dropped headlong off a cliff after about 5 years (both in terms of sales and in terms of game support) almost like a switch was flipped.

Unless Sony decides to not act like they did with the PS1, the PS2, and the PS3, I think it would be safe to say that PS4 will have strong support beyond the 5-year mark.

There has been a sharp drop in brand support for both Nintendo's and Microsoft's current consoles this gen compared to last gen. We can all agree on that. While I do not think the PS4 will keep perfect pace with the Wii within the first 3-4 years, I think the lines will cross at the 5-6 year mark and PS4 will outpace/outsell the Wii.

onQ123

I see what you are doing! see right now you're thinking that you cursed the Xbox One with your thread about how it was going to win. Now you're trying to toss your curse off on the PS4 in hopes of reversing the Xbox One curse lol.

No seriously what's going on here?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

[ h e l p ]

Top Bottom