• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

Corto

so you're a defeatist by nature then? Did you not see the selection of bundles announced today? "Give the people a choice, and they will buy it in droves" -Apple co.

That quote it's misused with that various bundling offers scenario. The important bit in that is "a choice" not several. Apple is famous for streamlined product lines with less products by segment instead of many options that just add customer confusion. So, ultimately that quote works against your point.

Zaph

As a console maker, is it their duty to pay and develop games ?. What is wrong when Microsoft spends money to get more games on their consoles ?.

Would you just have Journey, Unfinished Swan, Flower, Flow ported over again and again ?
Because buying games that would have existed anyway just creates bad sentiment and also does something far worse: reminds the consumer that MS in a position where they have to buy games because they dropped the ball so hard towards the tail end of the 360. MS did the thing they're famous for - get a solid position in the market and then stop trying. They're now paying for it with the XONE.

I said 2:1 would be hard to maintain and then someone goes "MS ain't nevah catching Sony" huh? When did I say catch?

Won't it be hard to maintain 2:1 with a competitor with as deep pockets as MS--a competitor that just dropped 80 mil units on its previous console? Even if MS does 65 mil with XB1, do you think it will be easy for Sony to do 130 mil? Come on now... At least read what I'm saying.

They're start is great but anything can happen from this point. Won't the XB1 selling in more markets open up the potential for more customers to buy it? Perhaps not gangbusters, but it's more than the (near) zero it is now in those markets. Surely you can see that at least?

Don't bring the hate if you don't want me to have to regulate. I don't want to continue to interrupt all the joy in hear with doses of reality, so I'll step out.

Before I do, lemme hit you with some more ratios to chew on. NA has about 500 mil consumers who bought about 3 mil XB1's so far. China has about 2.5 times that population, yes? 1:2.5 :: 3mil : ? I'm not saying its gonna happen. I'm just saying don't discount it.

I seriously doubt the xbone can hit 65 million. It will mainly have to come from US and UK.

China is wishful thinking. The countries are very different, especially in average household income.
From the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jun/07/china-us-how-superpowers-compare-datablog
Forbes reported the results of the Survey of Chinese Consumer Finances, collected by Tsinghua University and funded by Citibank (China) Co., Ltd, in 2010 and they made for some interesting reading:

The average annual household income in China, converted into US dollars, was $10,220, compared with $84,300 in the US (the median US income is $47,300.)

cakely

I didn't want to have to do this and reply on a point by point basis, but when you're called out sometimes you have no choice but to tell the wife to take the kids to the park for an hour 'cause papa's got some truth_bombs_ to get out there to the populace.

You had me going for a while there, but parody account confirmed. 10/10, would read again.

I'm laughing harder at this than the Metal Gear Solid box demo. Well, done, sir.

coldone

Because buying games that would have existed anyway just creates bad sentiment and also does something far worse: reminds the consumer that MS in a position where they have to buy games because they dropped the ball so hard towards the tail end of the 360. MS did the thing they're famous for - get a solid position in the market and then stop trying. They're now paying for it with the XONE.

These two issues are completely un-related. MS, Nintendo push hard upfront and get more games during launch. Sony does during tail end. It has been the case from the days of OG Xbox, PS2 etc.

It is upto a console maker to decide how they get games for their consoles. Buy, Build, Partner or what ever they think will give the best game line up for their consoles.

I would rather have them do some thing like this.. than just hoarding cash and just porting and re-porting older games.

truth411

Is there any concrete numbers for PS+ memberships? Last I heard was around 50% of PS4 owners, so 5 million PS+ subscribers?

This system is going to do scary numbers this Holiday.

And then the huge releases are just going to pile on during 2015.

Bloodborne, The Order, Rime, Uncharted, No Mans Sky, AlienNation, WiLD, Tearaway, Witcher 3, MGSV, etc. etc.

This thing could be at 30 million come Holiday 2015 at this pace.

And this Gamescom proves why it is a glorious thing when Sony is leading the pack. Innovation everywhere, brilliant games, brilliance everywhere. Whole conference was just filled with brilliance. And we still haven't seen most of what the first parties have going on! Its ridiculous!

Congrats to Sony but I feel that Microsoft is talking the talk and walking the walk a lot more than they are, even if it's just for the last few months. They're still coasting on the mad hype of the PS4, but if things keep going the way they are now I can see Xbox catching up in sales (not any time soon, obviously, but eventually) as MS continue to innovate and serve the consumer more exciting and crowd-pleasing news.
So Sony should be removing features from the system like MS instead of doing things like PS Now and Morpheus if they want to be considered innovative?

labaronx

Bloodborne, The Order, Rime, Uncharted, No Mans Sky, AlienNation, WiLD, Tearaway, Witcher 3, MGSV, etc. etc.

30 million by next December is scary

orochi91

And this Gamescom proves why it is a glorious thing when Sony is leading the pack. Innovation everywhere, brilliant games, brilliance everywhere. Whole conference was just filled with brilliance. And we still haven't seen most of what the first parties have going on! Its ridiculous!

I'm thinking ~35-40 million by January 2016 at the current price.

A price-cut to $299 after will help the momentum going through 2016-2018.

Oh. Forgot about Morpheus. If that catches fire... Wow
I actually totally forgot Morpheus is coming. Yeah, Sony can be at 30 million by the first day of 2016. This is really a revelation for those at Sony.

Also, where is Thunder Monkey for this thread?

Zaph

These two issues are completely un-related. MS, Nintendo push hard upfront and get more games during launch. Sony does during tail end. It has been the case from the days of OG Xbox, PS2 etc.

It is upto a console maker to decide how they get games for their consoles. Buy, Build, Partner or what ever they think will give the best game line up for their consoles.

I would rather have them do some thing like this.. than just hoarding cash and just porting and re-porting older games.
And I'd rather they spend their money on building first party studios and creating new IP in a sustainable manner then just going "Oh shit, new console? But we don't have many studios and shut down some of the few we had! Shit, we need games. Quick, throw money at sure things and hope nobody questions what exclusive means!".

Even Halo was bought. Yes, I agree it is absolutely well within a company's rights to do business (legally) how they see fit, but consumers are also within their right to call out industry damaging practises and hold it against the company in question.

I said 2:1 would be hard to maintain and then someone goes "MS ain't nevah catching Sony" huh? When did I say catch?

Won't it be hard to maintain 2:1 with a competitor with as deep pockets as MS--a competitor that just dropped 80 mil units on its previous console? Even if MS does 65 mil with XB1, do you think it will be easy for Sony to do 130 mil? Come on now... At least read what I'm saying.

They're start is great but anything can happen from this point. Won't the XB1 selling in more markets open up the potential for more customers to buy it? Perhaps not gangbusters, but it's more than the (near) zero it is now in those markets. Surely you can see that at least?

The 2:1 ratio is more likely to accelerate to a bigger gap actually.

All estimates put Xbone at around 5 million at best WW to PS4's 10m. But let's not forget that 2 million of those Xboxes were sold in 2 weeks after launch. So since then, the console has sold a paltry 3 million worldwide in 8 months.

So the sales are trending the other way, as much as you'd like to believe the Xbone is going to start closing the gap. Also, TLOU: Remastered has just launched for the PS4 (when the release schedule is barren on the Bone) and let's see the effect of it in July and August's sales. And then of course Destiny in September.

Come November, the ratio is going to be stretching way past 2:1 and all this of course has a snowball effect on sales. It will be harder and harder for MS to get any momentum when everyone and their friend has a PS4.

RE_Player

Microsoft had this generation in the palm of their hand and they let it slip away. Now they'll be fighting for a solid second place. What a shame.

Congrats to Sony but I feel that Microsoft is talking the talk and walking the walk a lot more than they are, even if it's just for the last few months. They're still coasting on the mad hype of the PS4, but if things keep going the way they are now I can see Xbox catching up in sales (not any time soon, obviously, but eventually) as MS continue to innovate and serve the consumer more exciting and crowd-pleasing news.

Innovate in what? Making more bundles?

Microsoft's only innovation this generation was making a shitty accessory mandatory, and insane anti-consumer DRM a focal point of their console.

Maybe they invented new backwards pedals? That's about it.

EGOMON

Amazing achievement Sony well desrved.
Also FU SE i hope the new TR crush and burns for giving your fans on PS & PC the middle finger

Amir0x

Banned
so you're a defeatist by nature then? Did you not see the selection of bundles announced today? "Give the people a choice, and they will buy it in droves" -Apple co.

I didn't want to have to do this and reply on a point by point basis, but when you're called out sometimes you have no choice but to tell the wife to take the kids to the park for an hour 'cause papa's got some truth_bombs_ to get out there to the populace.

I'm a realist by nature. The trajectory is essentially impossible for Microsoft. There is a nonzero statistical probability of it happening, but it's so close to zero as for a miracle being necessary for it to occur.

The reason it cannot happen is because even if Microsoft recovered in the USA, it'll never be able to close the gap due to Europe. Sony had Europe and Japan, which is why they covered the gap by the end. Microsoft does not even have that.

So, think about what will have to happen: Somehow, Microsoft is going to need to change the trajectory in America to start outselling PS4. Note, they have been unable to do this in either their Titanfall month or their pricedrop month. Then, after they finally start outselling Sony in America, they have to figure out a way to do the same in Europe, where it's significantly more dire. Where even the PS3 dominated Xbox 360 in many of these countries. So now, not only is the PS4 dominating in every European country - just running over it basically in every corner - but it's also winning significantly month to month in the US.

And the longer they go without starting to change all this, the even MORE impossible it becomes. By the end of this year, the impossibility becomes astronomical.

The same thing is true of your Wii U prediction. To put in perspective how bad it is, Nintendo would need to sell at least 150k a month or more every non-holiday month for the rest of the gen.. and then do better than expected during holidays... to reach even GCN numbers. They were unable to hit 150k even with Mario Kart 8, arguably one of the biggest games they are ever going to get.

Put some things in perspective.

Microsoft had this generation in the palm of their hand and they let it slip away. Now they'll be fighting for a solid second place. What a shame.

They can still turn it around, Sony was in a much worse place last gen and they ended the gen in a high note. Is implausible but not impossible.

How about this? A Dashboard update and an unprecedented level of media support. Microsoft has promised .mkv support while Sony only just gets around to adding a YouTube app.

Tomb Raider is a big deal for the Bone, even bigger than Destiny or Batman for PlayStation because it's actually tangibly exclusive on Xbox. Then there's a console with a 1TB hard drive, pre-loading, and a fuller and more impressive Fall line-up.

Microsoft's E3 was a seriously impressive showing, and they've done it again at Gamescom. Sony have done well, but in my opinion MS have just been the better company in showing off why I need to get their console.
Moneyhatting and OS updates. Gamers are dancing in the streets as we speak.

If you're going to shill junior, try to do it properly.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

Why do people like you not think critically before posting? So much wrong in your text.

jonabbey

I'm a realist by nature. The trajectory is essentially impossible for Microsoft. There is a nonzero statistical probability of it happening, but it's so close to zero as for a miracle being necessary for it to occur.

The reason it cannot happen is because even if Microsoft recovered in the USA, it'll never be able to close the gap due to Europe. Sony had Europe and Japan, which is why they covered the gap by the end. Microsoft does not even have that.

So, think about what will have to happen: Somehow, Microsoft is going to need to change the trajectory in America to start outselling PS4. Note, they have been unable to do this in either their Titanfall month or their pricedrop month. Then, after they finally start outselling Sony in America, they have to figure out a way to do the same in Europe, where it's significantly more dire. Where even the PS3 dominated Xbox 360 in many of these countries. So now, not only is the PS4 dominating in every European country - just running over it basically in every corner - but it's also winning significantly month to month in the US.

And the longer they go without starting to change all this, the even MORE impossible it becomes. By the end of this year, the impossibility becomes astronomical.

The same thing is true of your Wii U prediction. To put in perspective how bad it is, Nintendo would need to sell at least 150k a month or more every non-holiday month for the rest of the gen.. and then do better than expected during holidays... to reach even GCN numbers. They were unable to hit 150k even with Mario Kart 8, arguably one of the biggest games they are ever going to get.

Rsxb0hA.jpg

orochi91

Excellent summation of the situation at hand.

johnny956

A XB1 is a months salary for the average urban chinese, unless it's open for piracy it won't move many units there. Even the PS4s uptake will be only slightly more. It's way too expensive for the market.

Disagree seeing how well apple products are selling over there

Strike

Saw that during the conference. Very impressive indeed. It will be very interesting to see how it does during the holidays.

MercuryLS

Banned
They can still turn it around, Sony was in a much worse place last gen and they ended the gen in a high note. Is implausible but not impossible.

It's impossible, MS isn't Sony and the Xbox brand isn't the PS brand. The differences between both situations have been talked about so many times here. It's not comparable. At all.

Just watched the Sony Gamescom conference and MS one and the Xbone is MILES behind in terms of software for the future. So any MS recovery looks dead in the water unless they manage to snag several more Tomb Raider sized timed exclusives.

Just watching trailers for stuff like Rime, Bloodborne, The Tomorrow Children (looks really special), Hellblade, and WILD just shows how stark the gap in the upcoming software library has become.

Tobor

Xbox One will be Number One in Sales

It will happen eventually my child, don't fret.

I'm happy with my comment in that thread.

Tobor said:
They'll draw in the uninformed and the mouthbreathers, sure.

Will that be enough to counter the mass exodus of the tastemakers? We'll have to see.

Turns out, that no, they weren't able to counter the mass exodus of the tastemakers. And that's why you don't piss on your base, folks!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Every time. In every single one of these threads.

I don't think many realize how telling these numbers are. Things are not looking good and are very close to "not going to turn around this gen" numbers for Xbone.

Same for those people still holding onto WiiU hopes.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm happy with my comment in that thread.

Turns out, that no, they weren't able to counter the mass exodus of the tastemakers. And that's why you don't piss on your base, folks!

dude that comment is just really insulting to the many people who got XBO. I don't think I would be proud of that :p

J-Rzez

I would really like to know how all those publishers that were betting on MS dominating before the gen started feel now, like EA. And all this before Sony's exclusive big games start hitting the scene yet, it's crazy. MS doesn't have the studios to turn this around. They have the resources to throw money around big time, but getting that green lit is going to be a real hard sell to investors at this point. Those investors who have been wanting Xbox and their other market tries to be cut. MS may have to do what Sony did, cut their dead limbs before it spreads and then focus on what's left and key to them, OS and software.

Crazy how MS threw this gen away before it even started.

Raist

Banned

They weren't in a "much worse place"
Xbox isn't PS
MS has absolutely no chance of performing well in europe or japan.

Just watched the Sony Gamescom conference and MS one and the Xbone is MILES behind in terms of software for the future. So any MS recovery looks dead in the water unless they manage to snag several more Tomb Raider sized timed exclusives.

Just watching trailers for stuff like Rime, Bloodborne, The Tomorrow Children (looks really special), Hellblade, and WILD just shows how stark the gap in the upcoming software library has become.

Yeah Microsoft's near future looks not bad (Sunset/ Master Chief Collection + Halo 5) but outside of that we don't know much about things like Scalebound and Crackdown.

Sony's got tons of future stuff shown already and we haven't even really begun to see Uncharted 4, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla's new IP, Bend Studio, etc. They definitely appear better positioned long term, at least for the moment.

Top Bottom