• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom: PS4 install base exceeded 10 million units sold through globally.

There's a loooooong way to go before this generation is over.

I think it would take a miracle for Ms to get close to Sony at this point.

All the things that helped them keep the 360 ahead of the PS3 are gone. Sony has pretty much all the advantages except firmware.

KoopaTheCasual

What's interesting to me: the PS4 is currently tracking near Wii numbers, yet the Wii dropped headlong off a cliff after about 5 years (both in terms of sales and in terms of game support) almost like a switch was flipped.

Unless Sony decides to not act like they did with the PS1, the PS2, and the PS3, I think it would be safe to say that PS4 will have strong support beyond the 5-year mark.

There has been a sharp drop in brand support for both Nintendo's and Microsoft's current consoles this gen compared to last gen. We can all agree on that. While I do not think the PS4 will keep perfect pace with the Wii within the first 3-4 years, I think the lines will cross at the 5-6 year mark and PS4 will outpace/outsell the Wii.
I think PS4-Wii comparisons are pretty useless at this point, because of the drop off, which you yourself mentioned. It would be much better to compare this to the PS2. And boy is that comparison interesting. It's currently doing better than the PS2, but I think it's going to start losing a little ground after the second holiday, which is where the PS2 showed some ridiculous momentum and just kept going.

The first half of 2015 is stacked, so the PS4 might follow the same trend, but even if all things go well, the secret to the PS2's 150 million sales came after the launch of the PS3, when it was $99. I'm pretty sure it sold 30 million in that year? Something obscene. But yeah, if the PS4 can just keep up with the PS4 for about 3 years, then it seems like the PS4 will definitely have a solid shot at 100+ million.

You guys are right, of course. I'm just being a dumb fool and trying to save some face. I backed the wrong horse and I feel like an absolute jackass now. My friend once bet me that the PS3 would overtake the 360 after 3 years on market and I mocked the sh*t out of him after he lost that bet because he was so smug and so confident that it would happen. Karma is f****** real. I know that now. I didn't even care except to rub it in his face and in the faces of people like him. "They'll win cause they're sony and they always win". I call it the sony smugness. F**** annoying.

So after the xb1/ps4 launches, he bet me that ps4 would have a 2:1 edge at the end of 2015. I took that bet and ran. Sure, Microsoft can't f*** this sh*t up that badly, can they? They had the damn dudebro's eating out of their damn hands. Holy sh*t. I was their #1 motherf**** fan. I deserve this because I couldn't take the high road when I won that initial bet. This sh** is PS2 vs. XB all over again damn. 125mil + to probably 38 mil if they're lucky. They're gonna 3:1 these asses. Now he's gonna have that sh** grin wide as the f***** mississippi when I see him in a couple months.

Sure they could maybe pull a "kinect" out of their asses again to make it more respectable but that's a long shot at best. These guys. These f******* guys. DRM. Shit hardware. F***** the indies early and often. Being cheap as f***** where it counted. Spending assloads of benjamins on NFL and other TV sh** no one gives two sh** about. $499 and mandatory kinect? Are you sh***** me? Where's the hidden cameras? Input One? How about Input None you epic friggin' fools. Now they're trying to play catch up like a fat man tryin' to catch a runaway dog. Lassie's long gone home muthaf****.

Sony's got you beat in every facet that matters: games, price, power, brand, mindshare, etc, etc. et muthaf**** c. You did this. You deserve all of this. You could have paid someone to come up with the worst possible way to launch a follow up console to the 360 and he wouldn't be able to come up with half the f*** up sh** they ended up with. Holy sh**. Unbelievable. I'm done.

Hall of fame.

Wow, even meltdowns are going on around here. I just want to know one thing:

Is it Official? The Return of the King I mean... lol

Got a question, did Sony take the crown with the PS1 or with the PS2?

I want to say they rallied their army during the PS1 era and made a decisive victory during the PS2 era. However, it seems some madness entered the bloodline during the PS3 era and they lost a bit of power in the US while being able to keep their stronghold in Europe in check. Luckily enough they had some sort of coup/enlightenment before ushering in the PS4. They are now quickly gaining back lost ground in the US... maybe Frodo was able to throw the One Ring into the Fires of Mt. Doom giving Ceragorn the advantage.

Toki767

I think PS4-Wii comparisons are pretty useless at this point, because of the drop off, which you yourself mentioned. It would be much better to compare this to the PS2. And boy is that comparison interesting. It's currently doing better than the PS2, but I think it's going to start losing a little ground after the second holiday, which is where the PS2 showed some ridiculous momentum and just kept going.

The first half of 2015 is stacked, so the PS4 might follow the same trend, but even if all things go well, the secret to the PS2's 150 million sales came after the launch of the PS3, when it was $99. I'm pretty sure it sold 30 million in that year? Something obscene. But yeah, if the PS4 can just keep up with the PS4 for about 3 years, then it seems like the PS4 will definitely have a solid shot at 100+ million.

Sales momentum will probably really depend on if the PS4 gets a price drop (and how much). The odds we could see a $300 (maybe $250 with deals?) PS4 by holiday 2015 would make it continue to sell pretty well.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
They showed off so many exciting new IPs between stuff like The Tomorrow Children, Rime, Until Dawn, Alienation, Bloodborne, and WiLD. I hope Sony can do a good job of promoting them.

vooglie

You guys are right, of course. I'm just being a dumb fool and trying to save some face. I backed the wrong horse and I feel like an absolute jackass now. My friend once bet me that the PS3 would overtake the 360 after 3 years on market and I mocked the sh*t out of him after he lost that bet because he was so smug and so confident that it would happen. Karma is f****** real. I know that now. I didn't even care except to rub it in his face and in the faces of people like him. "They'll win cause they're sony and they always win". I call it the sony smugness. F**** annoying.

So after the xb1/ps4 launches, he bet me that ps4 would have a 2:1 edge at the end of 2015. I took that bet and ran. Sure, Microsoft can't f*** this sh*t up that badly, can they? They had the damn dudebro's eating out of their damn hands. Holy sh*t. I was their #1 motherf**** fan. I deserve this because I couldn't take the high road when I won that initial bet. This sh** is PS2 vs. XB all over again damn. 125mil + to probably 38 mil if they're lucky. They're gonna 3:1 these asses. Now he's gonna have that sh** grin wide as the f***** mississippi when I see him in a couple months.

Sure they could maybe pull a "kinect" out of their asses again to make it more respectable but that's a long shot at best. These guys. These f******* guys. DRM. Shit hardware. F***** the indies early and often. Being cheap as f***** where it counted. Spending assloads of benjamins on NFL and other TV sh** no one gives two sh** about. $499 and mandatory kinect? Are you sh***** me? Where's the hidden cameras? Input One? How about Input None you epic friggin' fools. Now they're trying to play catch up like a fat man tryin' to catch a runaway dog. Lassie's long gone home muthaf****.

Sony's got you beat in every facet that matters: games, price, power, brand, mindshare, etc, etc. et muthaf**** c. You did this. You deserve all of this. You could have paid someone to come up with the worst possible way to launch a follow up console to the 360 and he wouldn't be able to come up with half the f*** up sh** they ended up with. Holy sh**. Unbelievable. I'm done.

This is why I browse sales threads. Thanks much for this.

I don't think either Sony nor Microsoft intended for the PS3 and 360 to still be this expensive. Based on what both Microsoft and Sony have said, we know that the PS4 and X1 are both designed to be more easily capable of price drops.

I'm getting off track.

You're spot-on with the PS2 being $99. Even at ~$150 it was flying off the shelf. But that was due to a coalescence of factors:

- Music games were exploding and PS2 was the cheapest way to play them
- Playstation brand was dominating in every single territory
- Sports games were still coming out for the system, even when 360/PS3 launched
- Price, of course, played a big role
- I'm probably forgetting something else

We'll have to see what happens with the PS4. If VR takes off and so does Morpheus (let's imagine a similar explosion like what happened with Guitar Hero/Rock Band) then the PS4 will benefit. If game-streaming services pick up in a massive way, PS4 might benefit. There are a lot of "ifs" of course. PS4 will hit PS1/Wii numbers, easily. IMO there will be an overall decline in the console market (I think numbers were partially bloated due to multi-console ownership and RRoD sales) but Wii-U and X1 are both doing poorly enough to give the PS4 elbow-room.

PS4 hitting PS2 numbers would require a very long generation (8+ years) plus some crazy price drops (Down to $199 by 2017) and probably a mass-market miracle (maybe VR will fill that role).

Chobel

Joke post? Usually you post sarcastic posts, but this one, I'm not sure anymore.

Sales momentum will probably really depend on if the PS4 gets a price drop (and how much). The odds we could see a $300 (maybe $250 with deals?) PS4 by holiday 2015 would make it continue to sell pretty well.

I think $299 by holiday 2015 is pretty likely, especially since MS is likely to cut their price again by that point out of desperation.

Though MS is *technically* already cheaper than Sony since with the SSO and Madden '15 bundles they're at $399 with a game whereas Sony is $449 with a game.

Losing the worldwide sales race.

Granted, that probably won't happen. But never say never.
Why even waste calories typing that up?

There's no road that leads to PS4 losing this gen. Unless you have evidence, or unless you can outline a theory, you're being contrary for no good reason. PS4 wins this gen according to all current information we have.

robinsxe

There's a loooooong way to go before this generation is over.

image.php

SolidJum5

Neo Member
OK, I'm actally pretty sure open_mouth_ posts are not serious.

Originally Posted by open_mouth_

I'm here to clear up the misconceptions people have about esram. When someone asks, "so which console has the faster memory?" You have to immediately say Xbox one with its esram and it's not even up for debate. That's the single fastest piece of tech in either console. It's faster than anything in amazon's console as well. The truth is People like to downplay it because it's exclusive to Xbox one. The true developers like carmak know that when you need to do something fast in a game like shaders and bump maps, esram is the bees knees. This is why crytek chose to only bring Ryse to Xbox one and why call of duty was able to sustain a silky smooth. Why jump through unnecessary hoops?

The Cloud is a way to further future proof the console even though esram should be more than enough once Microsoft grants developers the access to code to the metal. It's the same reason people get insurance on their cars, you know? In case it's needed one day and not because the car won't work without it. We got a taste of how great cloud gaming can be on the pc with the launches of sim city and diablo 3. That's what Microsoft wants to bring to the comfy couches around the world and people hate them for it I don't know why. So imagine in five years when everyone wants the newest consoles and then Microsoft says bam you don't need one because every city now has google fiber one and pair it with Xbox one (hint hint) and you get a whole new console called xbox one cloud that will last you another five or so years. Nintendo just realized this so their next console will be a copy of Xbox cloud tech. It's too late for Sony to implement it haha.

There is no way anyone seriously believes those bolded points.

I think we finally know who MisterXmedia is. lol

I loved this. It was a good, honest, unfiltered read of his thinking. I don't think it's trolling, he's just telling the truth. No agenda, no secret company biases that fill this board, he's just laying it out there. He was wrong and owned up to it, and also gave a funny, unfiltered rundown of how badly MS shat the bed.

They seriously had this gen in the bag. They had the mind share, they had the history with gamer profiles, they had the dudebro crowd, they had everything outside of Japan which is defunct now anyway. They were dominating the U.S. market with the 360 (what was that one statistic, like 15 months straight at #1? and it wasn't even close). ALL MS HAD TO DO was release at the same price and at around the same power, that's it. And no DRM debacle. That's all they had to do to retain the dudebro crowd, the mind share, and the complete dominance in North America. It was on a fucking silver platter for them and they screwed it up so badly it's almost unthinkable.

I loved this part of his post which sums it up:
You could have paid someone to come up with the worst possible way to launch a follow up console to the 360 and he wouldn't be able to come up with half the f*** up sh** they ended up with. Holy sh**. Unbelievable.

I like Xbox too, and I think they even have a better exclusive line-up than PS4, especially this Fall. Hell, I even like GFWL. I was pretty psyched for X1 and I'm still getting one in the coming months but damn all these fuck-ups just make you wonder what could have been... they had the ball 1st & Goal and couldn't even get a field goal out of it. Unbelievable.

Doombacon

There's no road that leads to PS4 losing this gen. Unless you have evidence, or unless you can outline a theory, you're being contrary for no good reason. PS4 wins this gen according to all current information we have.

Microsoft could have secretly founded 5 new studios a year ago to work on all the Rare IP they have access too and all five games are coming out between winter 2015 and spring 2016
in fairy tale land.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Damn, dude. It's just a material product, the company doesn't owe you anything, and you don't owe them anything.

I like meltdowns, but I feel conflicted with this one.

How does this compare to PS1/2/3 in the same time frame? Anyone have a chart up?

I suppose the thread is large enough that a little help isn't too much to ask

worldwidehardwaresalelsduz.png

worldwidehardwaresalemkepg.png

I know they're ugly, but I wanted to emphasize the lines are interpolated. Also, the Xbox One has a +/- 550k error. (sorry for the color blind)

Congratulations to everyone at SCEI and SCE Worldwide Studios.

Wii Shipments:

1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2006 - 3.19 million
4 months, 13 days - March 31st, 2007 - 5.84 million
7 months, 12 days - June 30th, 2007 - 9.27 million
10 months, 12 days - September 30th, 2007 - 13.17 million

1 year, 1 month, 13 days - December 31st, 2007 - 20.13 million

Wii U Shipments:

1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months, 14 days: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months, 13 days: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months, 13 days: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
1 year, 1 month, 14 days: December 31st, 2013: 5.86 million

Xbox 360 Shipments:

1 month, 1 day - December 31st, 2005 - 1.57 million
4 months, 10 days - March 31st, 2006 - 3.2 million
7 months, 9 days - June 30th, 2006 - 5.0 million
10 months, 9 days - September 30th, 2006 - 5.9 million
1 year, 1 month, 10 days - December 31st, 2006 - 10.4 million

PS1 Shipments:

3 months, 29 days (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
1 year, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
1 year, 9 months, 28 days - September 30th, 1996 - 8.06 million
2 years, 3 months, 29 days - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2 Shipments:

28 days (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
6 months, 27 days (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
1 year, 28 days - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
1 year, 6 months, 27 days - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
1 year, 9 months, 28 days - December 31st, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3 Shipments:

1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months, 21 days - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months, 20 days - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months, 20 days - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
1 year, 1 month, 21 days - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4 Installbase:

2 days - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
17 days - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month, 14 days - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
2 months, 25 days - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million
3 months, 16 days - March 2nd, 2014 - 6.0 million
4 months, 23 days - April 6th, 2014 - 7.0 million
8 months, 29? days - August 12th?, 2014 - 10.0 million

Why post my opinions and thoughts? I don't know. I assumed that's what a message board is for. I appreciate you setting me straight.

Best post in thread.

Nice!

Her name is Lara, though. Sorry for nitpicking.

This... this is beautiful.

You're good.

get%20(5).gif

I didn't forget to say thanks. I just got really busy.

Why post my opinions and thoughts? I don't know. I assumed that's what a message board is for. I appreciate you setting me straight.

At the very least you could offer a theory or path. I've given up on believing XB1 could win because there's no path that I see for them.

worldwidehardwaresalelsduz.png

worldwidehardwaresalemkepg.png

I know they're ugly, but I wanted to emphasize the lines are interpolated. Also, the Xbox One has a +/- 550k error. (sorry for the color blind)

When you look at it this way, PS4 is a juggernaut, right up there with the Wii.

And it's only going to get higher with current-gen-only multiplats... and then the big exclusives next year.

Afrodium

Banned

This right here is GAF history in the making.

And Bloodborne and Rime and The Order and The Tomorrow Children etc.

Pack it up it's all over folks.

I legit thoughy MS can get the lead smaller. But not after these. When holidays are over ps4 gonna be at 17mil and xbone might be around 8 mil sold. TR and sunset overdrive wont cut it. Sony is still about to bring out the big guns.

And in the long gone yesteryear
Don Mattrick's words made Redmond cheer
"Ten million first shall win this race!"
He said, with grin upon his face.

"The coming battle shall be won right here,
With games like Halo and Forza and Gears."
He ended his statement with a triumphant nod
Secure in his love from the gaming gods

His words stoked fires among the fans
Each camp clenched swords in bloodied hands
The system warz began again
Three noble fighters, each sure to win

Microsoft, of course, had their white box
Sleek, and powerful, and filled with lots
Of games to play with friends new and old
Or even watch Netflix (if you paid for Gold)

The box upon which SCE was betting
Had power, confusion, and printer settings
The games would look and run so swell
If developers could handle the goddamn Cell

And in the third corner of the ring
Stood the tiny offering from the former king
An innovative waggle-box called the Wii
Would eventually win, quite handily

But fear not brave warriors! War is not through!
Nintendo returned with the shiny WiiU!
It's a console! It's a tablet! It's both things combined!
It's the word "underwhelming," redefined

The other two fighters each had a son
The 360 gave birth to the Xbox One
Underpowered, TV-focused, and chained to Kinect
It struggles to gain traction, or even respect

PS3's new child has shot up the charts
Sleek and powerful, with a gaming heart
It seems quite destined to stay far ahead
Unless Sony acts like Sony and shits in the bed

But now that Gamescom '14 is here at long last
Words did echo from deep in the past
"The first to 10 million shall win at all cost!"
Hung from Microsoft's neck like a stone albatross

So now Tokyo laughs as Redmond sneers
And Lara Croft's eyes well up with tears
For bad news has arrived for the mighty Xbone
PS4 was the first to reach Don's milestone

Damn! Fixed :)

You're good.

get%20(5).gif

What's interesting to me: the PS4 is currently tracking near Wii numbers, yet the Wii dropped headlong off a cliff after about 5 years (both in terms of sales and in terms of game support) almost like a switch was flipped.

Unless Sony decides to not act like they did with the PS1, the PS2, and the PS3, I think it would be safe to say that PS4 will have strong support beyond the 5-year mark.

There has been a sharp drop in brand support for both Nintendo's and Microsoft's current consoles this gen compared to last gen. We can all agree on that. While I do not think the PS4 will keep perfect pace with the Wii within the first 3-4 years, I think the lines will cross at the 5-6 year mark and PS4 will outpace/outsell the Wii.

I think things will pick up even more once these cross gen titles slow to a trickle. New current gen only titles will help out quite a bit - even more so if they are exclusive. Sony and Microsoft really need to bring back the days of dominant first party software development for their own sake. Right now, a case can be made to just buy the big name games on PC by some (though I'm not one of them).

It's like eating crow, verbalised.

At the very least you could offer a theory or path. I've given up on believing XB1 could win because there's no path that I see for them.

If I were to do that, I would simply be playing devil's advocate because I am firmly in the "Sony will win" camp.

If I want to look into my cracked crystal ball, I could see Microsoft possibly, but not bloody likely, winning if word of mouth soured against Sony and got very positive for Microsoft. That's what gave Sony this huge head start with PS4--amazing word of mouth caused by taking all the right steps (while MS tripped over their own feet...repeatedly).

If you look around the Internet enough, you can see a lot of people talking up Microsoft's exclusives, as well as the constant updates to the Xbox One UI. Meanwhile, a lot of complaints from the Sony camp about suspend/resume not being named as a part of the 2.0 update, along with complaints about the continued absence of MP3 support.

Again, I'm grasping at straws here. These things are not likely to lead to a Microsoft victory. But the chance still exists, even if that chance is miniscule. Stranger things have happened, which has taught me not to gloat until the victory is in hand.

And in the long gone yesteryear
Don Mattrick's words made Redmond cheer
"Ten million first shall win this race!"
He said, with grin upon his face.

"The coming battle shall be won right here,
With games like Halo and Forza and Gears."
He ended his statement with a triumphant nod
Secure in his love from the gaming gods

His words stoked fires among the fans
Each camp clenched swords in bloodied hands
The system warz began again
Three noble fighters, each sure to win

Microsoft, of course, had their white box
Sleek, and powerful, and filled with lots
Of games to play with friends new and old
Or even watch Netflix (if you paid for Gold)

The box upon which SCE was betting
Had power, confusion, and printer settings
The games would look and run so swell
If developers could handle the goddamn Cell

And in the third corner of the ring
Stood the tiny offering from the former king
An innovative waggle-box called the Wii
Would eventually win, quite handily

But fear not brave warriors! War is not through!
Nintendo returned with the shiny WiiU!
It's a console! It's a tablet! It's both things combined!
It's the word "underwhelming," redefined

The other two fighters each had a son
The 360 gave birth to the Xbox One
Underpowered, TV-focused, and chained to Kinect
It struggles to gain traction, or even respect

PS3's new child has shot up the charts
Sleek and powerful, with a gaming heart
It seems quite destined to stay far ahead
Unless Sony acts like Sony and shits in the bed

But now that Gamescom '14 is here at long last
Words did echo from deep in the past
"The first to 10 million shall win at all cost!"
Hung from Microsoft's neck like a stone albatross

So now Tokyo laughs as Redmond sneers
And Lara Croft's eyes well up with tears
For bad news has arrived for the mighty Xbone
PS4 was the first to reach Don's milestone

Damn! Fixed :)

iYKztZWPcC3s9.gif

Bullza2o

Wow this is great, congrats Sony! Too bad I'm not that interested in the games coming out for the rest of the year, but I'll jump in most likely next year when Batman or Bloodborne comes out!

Please make Persona 5 playable on PS4 or else I'll buy a PS3 instead!

Top Bottom