• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has significantly increased PlayStation game prices on Steam in some countries including Canada and Japan.

Draugoth

Gold Member
god-of-war-pc-h-1280x720.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment has significantly increased its game prices on Steam in some countries.

As first spotted by Resetera user Chairmanchuck, the prices of Sackboy A Big Adventure and Returnal have been increased this week in countries including Argentina, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Japan and South Korea.

VGC has verified these price rises using SteamDB, and found that other PlayStation titles including God of War and Spider-Man Remastered have received similar price increases.

he price increases vary by country and title. In Canada, the price of all four games has been upped by $10, representing 14.5% to 17% increases based on their starting price.

In Sony’s home country of Japan, the prices of the games have risen by between approximately 29% and 32.5%.

Argentina appears to be by far the most heavily affected by the price increases. God of War’s price has more than doubled this week, from 4,199 pesos to 8,499 Pesos. The cost of Spider-Man Remastered has also doubled, while the prices of Sackboy and Returnal have risen by 67%.

StueyDuck

This shit sucks but they are hardly the first be publisher to do this and they won't be the last.

Call of duty Still remains ridiculously priced on steam no matter how old a game

RCU005

For Sony, Jim might be the best that happened to them. For players is the worst!

Sony all happy that they can get away with raising prices and being arrogant about it, but it won’t last long.

Jim is abusing PlayStation’s leading position, but they don’t realize they will fall hard.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Won't this just encourage piracy or is that a thing of the past on pc these days?
Something sony doesn't have to worry about on console.

Fbh

Sucks but it's not really surprising.
On the console front they basically use inverse regional pricing:
"Low income developing country? Yep I think we need to charge extra here".

the Canadian dollar has been really weak for the past 8 months thanks to our wonderful government......79.99 is now 59.99 USD.

I wanna complain but i also hate it here lol

Yeah Americans bitching about the $10 price increase on next gen don't know how good they have it.
The currency in my country has been really weak for the last 10 years. Ps5 games are literally twice as much as Ps4 games were in 2013,

hemo memo

Gold Member
The prices for new games on the digital PSN store where I live are fucking ridiculous. New games can be up towards 100 dollars. For a simple license. No box. No disc. Nothing. Sonys stranglehold on the market really shows it's ugly face here.
I can’t justify paying full price for non-Nintendo games anymore. $70 is more ridiculous even. If anything prices should lower at release.

Won't this just encourage piracy or is that a thing of the past on pc these days?
Something sony doesn't have to worry about on console.
Valve more or less single handedly ended piracy for PC games by introducing Steam, not by going after pirates with an army of lawyers like certain other companies do. Pricing has been a crucial part of that strategy. Sony is acting backwards.

tmlDan

Sucks but it's not really surprising.
On the console front they basically use inverse regional pricing:
"Low income developing country? Yep I think we need to charge extra here".

Yeah Americans bitching about the $10 price increase on next gen don't know how good they have it.
The currency in my country has been really weak for the last 10 years. Ps5 games are literally twice as much as Ps4 games were in 2013,
Have you also noticed how square fucks Canadians? they go direct currency exchange so FF16 is actually $93 instead of $89.99.

It's insanity, luckily i get paid well but i cant imagine how expensive it is for most if I am complaining about it (plus everything else is expensive too)

Top Bottom