• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has significantly increased PlayStation game prices on Steam in some countries including Canada and Japan.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
fetch

Mr Hyde

I can’t justify paying full price for non-Nintendo games anymore. $70 is more ridiculous even. If anything prices should lower at release.

I buy mostly physical still and they often retail at 60 on launch, but I usually wait for price drops. Digital on the other hand has no business being so expensive. It should be cheaper, given that you cut out retailers, manufacturing of disc and box etc, yet prices are sky high.

Fbh

Have you also noticed how square fucks Canadians? they go direct currency exchange so FF16 is actually $93 instead of $89.99.

It's insanity, luckily i get paid well but i cant imagine how expensive it is for most if I am complaining about it (plus everything else is expensive too)

Don't know about Canada but Sony is even screwing us over with the console here (Chile). The Ps5 is like $150 more expensive than the Series X for no real reason.
I've basically completely given up on buying games at launch on console, I only make an exception for FROM games (and maybe FFXVI, still considering it)

hemo memo

Gold Member
I buy mostly physical still and they often retail at 60 on launch, but I usually wait for price drops. Digital on the other hand has no business being so expensive. It should be cheaper, given that you cut out retailers, manufacturing of disc and box etc, yet prices are sky high.
Absolutely. At least with physical you are getting something.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I guess Sony thinks their games are selling too much on PC.

Shrugs GIF
Nah it is actually smart. They know who ever buy at this ridiculous price is going to be a Sony fan to the core that will never complain about the games but actually would defend them.

j.k.2021

Banned
That's what happens when there is weak competition.Nothing will stop them from pricing their games $100 if there was no alternative.

MarkMe2525

Not sure if he is praising, rather making a declarative statement.
While you may be right, typically in normal conversation the adjective "smart" is used in conjunction with praise. Of course, calling someone a "smart ass" or use in a sarcastic manner would not be considered praise. In this case, I did not sense any sarcasm so it's reasonable to assume it's being used in a way that praises the move to raise the price.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
While you may be right, typically in normal conversation the adjective "smart" is used in conjunction with praise. Of course, calling someone a "smart ass" or use in a sarcastic manner would not be considered praise. In this case, I did not sense any sarcasm so it's reasonable to assume it's being used in a way that praises the move to raise the price.
In the business world, if their revenue expands, then it was smart. Going by the recent increases due to plummeting currencies in regions, as well as inflation, it was shown to be smart.

If it falters, then it shows it was a bad move. He was probably speaking on the recent trends that consumers have not slowed down spending, even with price increases, when it came to entertainment goods.

MarkMe2525

In the business world, if their revenue expands, then it was smart. Going by the recent increases due to plummeting currencies in regions, as well as inflation, it was shown to be smart.

If it falters, then it shows it was a bad move. He was probably speaking on the recent trends that consumers have not slowed down spending, even with price increases, when it came to entertainment goods.
??? In your example, you described a business making praise worthy economic decisions. This is quite the spin that is being attempted. I have already outlined the use cases where the word "smart" would not be considered praise or a complementary adjective, his statement fits neither of those use cases.

Respectfully, if English is not your native tongue, I can understand not being able to grasp the idea of complimentary or negative adjectives. He used a complimentary adjective to describe Jim in the context of the price increase. There is no other way to perceive the statement unless he was using the term sarcastically.

Statements of facts or declarations are not mutually exclusive to negative or complimentary adjectives.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
??? In your example, you described a business making praise worthy economic decisions. This is quite the spin that is being attempted. I have already outlined the use cases where the word "smart" would not be considered praise or a complementary adjective, his statement fits neither of those use cases.

Respectfully, if English is not your native tongue, I can understand not being able to grasp the idea of complimentary or negative adjectives. He used a complimentary adjective to describe Jim in the context of the price increase. There is no other way to perceive the statement unless he was using the term sarcastically.

Statements of facts or declarations are not mutually exclusive to negative or complimentary adjectives.
All I said, is that I took the comment as being "smart business" going by recent trends. Nothing more. No praise, no adoration, just smart for business in an ever inflating and currency crashing world.

You can say something is smart with absolutely zero emotional attachment to the phrase.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

All I said, is that I took the comment as being "smart business" going by recent trends. Nothing more. No praise, no adoration, just smart for business in an ever inflating and currency crashing world.

You can say something is smart with absolutely zero emotional attachment to the phrase.
I understand your point so we do not need to debate that further. Could we agree that if the poster was making such a statement, a more accurate adjective would be prudent or competent.

Teletraan1

Banned
It was always weird to me that they sold for much lower than the price of any other remasters barfed onto steam. I have never bought one at the lower price they were selling for on Steam anyway. I have a thousand other games to play on that platform for a lower price. If you are that bothered they usually go on sale with heavy discounts quarterly.

EDMIX

Sony really doesn’t understand PC gaming.

PC gaming doesn't understand Sony =)

They have no ode to devalue their content just cause that community likes a certain price. Don't like it, don't buy it. I think its a wise choice.

I'm selective on what I buy day 1, I'm even more selective on what I buy on digital. If PC gamers love spending all that money on hardware, why cry over software prices? The fuck? lol The hardware to get the best performance is not cheap, but shit the software should be? Based on what logic? We have folks crying about getting PC support for all sorts of features, yet don't wish to actually pay for those advancements, but will have no issue buying a new GPU, for its new features....

This doesn't fucking make sense lol

If Sony can afford to take the hit (which I doubt this will even hurt them) it makes sense so software developers are not afraid to raise their prices to support their work, cause clearly those GPU companies have no issue doing so.

Keep that same energy folks.

PC gaming doesn't understand Sony =)

They have no ode to devalue their content just cause that community likes a certain price. Don't like it, don't buy it. I think its a wise choice.

I'm selective on what I buy day 1, I'm even more selective on what I buy on digital. If PC gamers love spending all that money on hardware, why cry over software prices? The fuck? lol The hardware to get the best performance is not cheap, but shit the software should be? Based on what logic? We have folks crying about getting PC support for all sorts of features, yet don't wish to actually pay for those advancements, but will have no issue buying a new GPU, for its new features....

This doesn't fucking make sense lol

If Sony can afford to take the hit (which I doubt this will even hurt them) it makes sense so software developers are not afraid to raise their prices to support their work, cause clearly those GPU companies have no issue doing so.

Keep that same energy folks.

This so hard.

Bitches are spending thousands of dollars on a GPU and then crying about an extra $10 for their games.... lol wut?!

EDMIX

This so hard.

Bitches are spending thousands of dollars on a GPU and then crying about an extra $10 for their games.... lol wut?!

Agreed.

I just finished a build for my sister, i'm still working on a build for myself that going to end up costing around $4k to $5k...if MS comes out and tells me Starfield will be 69.99 on PC, fuck am I suppose to do with this information? Wait for sale? Cry? The cost PC gaming is already higher then console gaming, they are already no longer getting AAA exclusive titles, I simply don't see that community in a position to be bitching over the price of games all things considered.

Top Bottom