• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has significantly increased PlayStation game prices on Steam in some countries including Canada and Japan.

hemo memo

Gold Member
So paying more for a worse version. So the plan here is that PC gamers get frustrated of how atrocious the performance is so they buy a PS5?

Fredrik

I'm surprised by the prices in some countries.
Forza Horizon 5
Indian Rupee₹ 3499£34.23
Turkish Lira₺599,00£24.79
Resi Evil 4
Indian Rupee₹ 3599£35.21
Turkish Lira₺887,29£36.72
How do they work these prices out?
Playstation 5 is $670
Playstation 5 Digital is $630
Playstation VR 2 is $710

- Sweden

For reference, XSX/XSS is $590/$330

It’s not just conversion rates. Sony can do it, so they are doing it.
🤷‍♂️

There are worse ones though…
RTX 4090 is roughly $2300
iPhone 14 Pro Max is roughly $1900
😥

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Playstation 5 is $670
Playstation VR 2 is $710

- Sweden

🤷‍♂️
PS5 games sells officially for 74$ here. Buying at that price is just getting yourself getting robbed.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Bitches are spending thousands of dollars on a GPU and then crying about an extra $10 for their games.... lol wut?!
You’re likely going to pay more for your games over a generation than your thousand dollar GPU. Try add up all game purchases for the previous generation if you want to check how bad it can get. I did a quick math session here but chose to stop counting when I was above $3000…

My strategy from here on is to play everything I can through subscriptions. I got PS+ Premium cheap through a PSNow conversion, paying $5/month. Same price for Gamepass through the XBLG and EAPlay deals. It’s harder to manage on the PS side because of the PS+ delays but I’ve managed to do for a handful of games already. On Xbox I’m still at 0 bought games 2.5 years into the generation. Feels pretty great tbh!

Last edited:

EDMIX

That just means you're spending money on a hobby you can't afford.

If your PC built leaves you broke, sorry but you're being fiscally irresponsible.

100000% correct.

I've been PC gaming for decades, but a lot of it has to do with me working in IT and using my PC for work and my art stuff, so spending money on such builds already fits lots of things I generally do, gaming is just a hobby that it happens to fit.

Now anyone literally spending this much to build a PC to ONLY GAME, needs not to fucking bitch about the price of AAA games, when they are spending 3, 4 or 5k on such builds. I just don't buy that its ever going to make sense to understand you need to pay more to get better hardware, oh but the software like magic will get better at the same price, zero increases and please have all the advancements, but take a pay cut lol the fuck?

That's not the point AT ALL and has NOTHING to do with the issue.

I greatly disagree.

This is an install base that generally spends much more on hardware for advancements, yet can't afford the advancements on software regarding AAA games? Sooooo that simply doesn't make sense. I recall even telling people PC gamers will spend more on digital as they are the one that must wait for a sale cause they can't buy used

Soooo they have no fucking issue paying for hardware, no issue with having games come thru digital vs the option for used causing them to literally have to wait till the publisher allows a discount lol, but shit you are upset at $10 extra?

I don't see enough to really pretend as if this install base is hurting for cash or makes great choices when it comes to money to cry over $10, that sounds like a reason to not fucking buy a gaming PC.

Buy a console, get all the fucking used games you want, when ever you feel like it lol This is the last community that should be out here crying over $10 bucks, you want to spend to get the best, oh buy you don't want software companies raising the prices to provide that? lol

Sleepwalker

To be fair, the majority of pc gamers do not spend that kind of money.
Furthermore, most people that do don't live in Argentina, Chile and Colombia. Most people that play on PC in these countries are clinging to 4+ year old builds and parts, the 1060 is very popular in Colombia. God of War on steam costs 23% of the minimum monthly wage and I can only imagine the number is higher for argentina. But sure, some people in America buy 5k pcs (the price didnt even go up in the US), so they should raise the price in the third world lol.

The real reason is inflation, these countries have been losing strength vs the dollar and Sony wants to get paid what they value those games in usd, however, when you ask someone that earns $220 per month to cough up even $40 for a game you're most likely not gonna have much success, the steam store is in local currencies and valve has a suggested price guideline to tackle this very issue but it's pretty much up to the publisher.

Another thing is that they are raising the prices of games that are old as fuck and be gotten for as little as $10 consistently on playstation, so when you live in these countries and add up all the factors, your most likely conclusion is that you're not paying $40 for god of war 2018 in 2023. And if you're a teen or don't care about the moral issue, you will just pirate it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Playstation 5 is $670
Playstation VR 2 is $710

- Sweden

PS5 is $900 in BR. Digital edition is $800. Lowest i've ever seen it going for is $760.
Series X goes for around the same price, usually more expensive going for $1000.

For comparison, a build with a rtx 3060 and a ryzen 5600 would probably go somewhere between $1000-1500 depending on where you get your parts, pre-builds, etc.

Series S however goes for around $400, making it the most affordable way to play new games around here, especially with gamepass.

Last edited:

Puscifer

The prices for new games on the digital PSN store where I live are fucking ridiculous. New games can be up towards 100 dollars. For a simple license. No box. No disc. Nothing. Sonys stranglehold on the market really shows it's ugly face here.
Then why by digital and cap yourself in the knee intentionally? My PS5 hasn't touched the Internet in a year yet I still play single player games just fine

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playstation 5 is $670
Playstation VR 2 is $710

- Sweden

🤷‍♂️

There are worse ones though…
RTX 4090 is roughly $2300
iPhone 14 Pro Max is roughly $1900
😥
Same prices in Poland man

MikeM

If your PC build leaves you broke, sorry but you're being fiscally irresponsible.
Yep. Like buying a Porsche and not being able to drive it daily. Lol garage queens… STOP BUYING WHAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD!
Furthermore, most people that do don't live in Argentina, Chile and Colombia. Most people that play on PC in these countries are clinging to 4+ year old builds and parts, the 1060 is very popular in Colombia. God of War on steam costs 23% of the minimum monthly wage and I can only imagine the number is higher for argentina. But sure, some people in America buy 5k pcs (the price didnt even go up in the US), so they should raise the price in the third world lol.

The real reason is inflation, these countries have been losing strength vs the dollar and Sony wants to get paid what they value those games in usd, however, when you ask someone that earns $220 per month to cough up even $40 for a game you're most likely not gonna have much success, the steam store is in local currencies and valve has a suggested price guideline to tackle this very issue but it's pretty much up to the publisher.

Another thing is that they are raising the prices of games that are old as fuck and be gotten for as little as $10 consistently on playstation, so when you live in these countries and add up all the factors, your most likely conclusion is that you're not paying $40 for god of war 2018 in 2023. And if you're a teen or don't care about the moral issue, you will just pirate it.
Me with my Canadian built 7900xt PC only used for gaming:

King Yes GIF

Kilau

PC gaming doesn't understand Sony =)

They have no ode to devalue their content just cause that community likes a certain price. Don't like it, don't buy it. I think its a wise choice.

I'm selective on what I buy day 1, I'm even more selective on what I buy on digital. If PC gamers love spending all that money on hardware, why cry over software prices? The fuck? lol The hardware to get the best performance is not cheap, but shit the software should be? Based on what logic? We have folks crying about getting PC support for all sorts of features, yet don't wish to actually pay for those advancements, but will have no issue buying a new GPU, for its new features....

This doesn't fucking make sense lol

If Sony can afford to take the hit (which I doubt this will even hurt them) it makes sense so software developers are not afraid to raise their prices to support their work, cause clearly those GPU companies have no issue doing so.

Keep that same energy folks.

I’m talking about proper regional pricing, something that Valve used very effectively to combat piracy. Don’t let the “master race” fool you, they like to pretend everyone on PC is maxed out with the latest most expensive tech but it’s simply not the case. You shouldn’t assume that everyone playing on PC dropped thousands on a system and has money to burn.

I wonder how many people abuse regional pricing.

(I'm ideologically opposed to regional pricing because I think poor countries should get a job).

EDMIX

I’m talking about proper regional pricing, something that Valve used very effectively to combat piracy. Don’t let the “master race” fool you, they like to pretend everyone on PC is maxed out with the latest most expensive tech but it’s simply not the case. You shouldn’t assume that everyone playing on PC dropped thousands on a system and has money to burn.

Developers are free to raise the price nonetheless. This is an expensive hobby and someone not having money to burn maybe should be buying a gaming PC in the first place. Stick to console, buy games used etc. Everyone on PC not having those types of builds doesn't change that someone is making a choice to buy that type of hardware knowing their games are tied to certain accounts, they can't buy used, they must wait for sales etc, so even if they are not buying their systems to the same tune as enthusiast, they clearly fucking know they have cheaper options like console.

Hardware raises in price, software raises in price. Not all publishers need to have some ode to devalue their products cause someone else might steal, that fucking person was going to steal regardless sir lol Its even funnier cause we still have piracy so I don't know how well any of that really worked out for Valve lol

Perrott

Gold Member
For an American or English that's nothing.

But 8500 Pesos for an Argentinian is a lot of money
And that's not accounting an additional 75% in taxes, for all digital game purchases.

So God of War's real Steam price is actually nearing 15000 pesos - roughly a quarter of the minimum salary in Argentina.

Corndog

Banned

If your PC build leaves you broke, sorry but you're being fiscally irresponsible.
I can’t believe how many idiotic takes are in this thread.
Edit: let me guess. I will get in trouble for saying this.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

Companies aren't raising prices in those regions to get money from the people in those regions. They are doing it because people/sites abuse regional pricing. Prices would be a lot more fair if there was a way to fix that.

93xfan

Banned
They should not raise the prices, they should take their games away from PC. Playstation games should be playable only on PLAYSTATION.
Fanboys should be relegated to a fanboy forum, where they can whine and complain about all the things that don’t matter. And there posts should be taken away from here

Last edited:

Kilau

Developers are free to raise the price nonetheless. This is an expensive hobby and someone not having money to burn maybe should be buying a gaming PC in the first place. Stick to console, buy games used etc. Everyone on PC not having those types of builds doesn't change that someone is making a choice to buy that type of hardware knowing their games are tied to certain accounts, they can't buy used, they must wait for sales etc, so even if they are not buying their systems to the same tune as enthusiast, they clearly fucking know they have cheaper options like console.

Hardware raises in price, software raises in price. Not all publishers need to have some ode to devalue their products cause someone else might steal, that fucking person was going to steal regardless sir lol Its even funnier cause we still have piracy so I don't know how well any of that really worked out for Valve lol
Yeah, I am not arguing that, again, this is about pricing for the region you are selling in. Piracy will always happen and there will always be those that will pirate no matter what just because they are assholes but if you remove as many barriers as possible you can turn some pirates into customers.

I know regional pricing gets abused and if that's the reason for the change, that really sucks.

EDMIX

Yeah, I am not arguing that, again, this is about pricing for the region you are selling in. Piracy will always happen and there will always be those that will pirate no matter what just because they are assholes but if you remove as many barriers as possible you can turn some pirates into customers.

I know regional pricing gets abused and if that's the reason for the change, that really sucks.

I don't disagree with you, but the industry must move on. If they feel they are selling something worth $69.99, let the market decide. Putting it on PC doesn't mean a company is not expecting a return or should put their games as a lessor price or something to remain hostage by pirates, sure you can turn some into customers, but they should be that by default in the first place. Its not Sony or EA or Ubisoft or MS or any publisher's job to convince people not to steal and then alter their prices to cater to them stealing lol

I get that it can help to a degree, but I'd argue removing DRM has helped more then as many crack games based on the issues with DRM, outside of that I don't think it makes sense to continue this type of handholding as that is likely why we no longer see that deep investment in AAA PC exclusives like we once did. Provide the most features, to get the least sales to then get the least return on top of being threatened by pirates? lol That just sounds horrid.

So i think people in this situation should just wait for a sale or something. I think that at least makes more sense then publishers trying to stay at 1 price for life on PC or something.

No thanks.

I rarely buy games at full price anymore. Wait for sales. Most of the games in my steam wish list are £20-30 and I haven't bought them yet because I know I can get them for £10-20 at some point.

I refuse to pay more than £30 for a game unless it's one I am really excited for and can't wait.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
The majority of gamers need to learn to wait for price drops. Don’t let them bully you son.
This. A million times this. They are not going to run out of code. If anything game prices should be LOWER at release for the people jumping in first.

supernova8

Banned
I'm in Japan and... it's fine I just won't buy those games. They can... what's the technical term... fuck right off.

You can get PS4 God of War in Japan brand new for like 2,000 yen and yet on Steam they fucking want 6,500 yen.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Don't buy them then. I'd rather Sony just focus on one platform anyway.
Yes.
Also, they don't really seem to care much about whatever they're doing on PC, so what is even the point? The only thing I could see them pushing for the platform is all their future GAAS titles.

You’re likely going to pay more for your games over a generation than your thousand dollar GPU. Try add up all game purchases for the previous generation if you want to check how bad it can get. I did a quick math session here but chose to stop counting when I was above $3000…

Sure, but the point is that if you can afford to casually spend a thousand dollars on a GPU for a recreational hobby, then you can afford to spend an extra $10 on new games.... well that or just do what everyone else does and don't buy games day one... wait for sales.

To be fair, the majority of pc gamers do not spend that kind of money.

The majority of PC gamers still spend significantly more than console owners on PC hardware, because component pricing has gotten just that obscene. If you're upset at the prospect of buying games for $70, wait and they will come down in price as all games do.

It's logical. Its a way to increase games values on PS4 / PS5 and even make subs on those consoles more interesting. "You can play some of our games on PC, but you are going to pay for them, or you could play them for 'free' on our PS5 subs."

In the end Sony make money on PS5 games and services, not PC. I don't think they even recoup the cost of those ports except for the few big ones.

MayauMiao

The price increase only makes it easier for me to hold off a year or more for game price to come down.

Day 1 game with all its issues is simply not worth the price anymore.

Guilty_AI

The majority of PC gamers still spend significantly more than console owners on PC hardware, because component pricing has gotten just that obscene. If you're upset at the prospect of buying games for $70, wait and they will come down in price as all games do.
The majority of PC gamers often use their pcs for other tasks. Every single person i know that has a gaming pc is like that and its indeed what makes more sense. In the end people are only paying extra to add gaming processing capabilities to their machine, which involves getting a GPU - usually a mid/low-range one like a gtx 16xx or a rtx 3060. A whooping investment of somewhere between $200-400 in america.

The majority of PC gamers often use their pcs for other tasks. Every single person i know that has a gaming pc is like that and its indeed what makes more sense. In the end people are only paying extra to add gaming processing capabilities to their machine, which involves getting a GPU - usually a mid/low-range one like a gtx 16xx or a rtx 3060. A whooping investment of somewhere between $200-400 in america.

And?

Point is, if you can afford the luxury of a powerful gaming PC you can't afford the cost of the games to go with it... or you can't and you should use a cheap laptop for your productivity needs like every non-gamer does.

Eotheod

Seeing the Diablo 4 price on Battle.net really cements to me the joy of GamePass. As much as people hate on Microsoft and shit, GamePass on PC is a fucking blissful perfection in being able to enjoy high-quality (or indie games) without spending $80-$120AUD on fucking PC ports.

Also, to the poster trying to justify that by being in the PC field you therefore should be able to afford PC games or else you are fiscally responsible, shut the fuck up. The argument is that PC games are being increased due to console prices, something that shouldn't be a one to one comparison but is being treated as such due to the belief of fleecing PC gamers. Price of hardware has nothing to do with it, I mean you could argue PlayStation 5/Xbox X owners shouldn't be complaining about $70USD/$120AUD games because the console is $499USD/$879AUD and therefore getting into that should mean you are financially smart.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

My comment was in regard to your "PC gamers spend thousands of dollars" remark. Of course you would move the goalposts as your original claim was ridiculous when you consider the makeup of PC's that dominate the PC gaming market. We might be able to discuss how in actuality, the majority of the PC market does not spend "significantly more" than the premium consoles, but you have already shown that you are willing to move the goalposts to support your unsubstantiated claims. I am no longer interested in that discussion.

Regardless, those facts have little to do with the topic at hand, which is rising game prices. Historically, software prices have had little to do with the costs of hardware. The largest driver of software price, since the early 80's, have been the expanding size of the market and increased competition. These pressures have generally pushed prices down over the past decades, although today we have seen the rise of the subscription model which lowers upfront costs even more.

It's obvious that in this particular case, the driver of the price increase has been inflation. The idea that price increases, for products that already exist on the market, are justified due to the costs of "high end" PC components, just misses the mark IMO.

Hot5pur

Do people just not use cdkeys or instant-gaming?
If you want to get good quality on consoles you'll be hit with a 30 FPS cap. That's reason enough to stick to PC.
If the PS5 pro has enough power to hit 60 on modern titles with full visuals I'll consider it.

Top Bottom