• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has significantly increased PlayStation game prices on Steam in some countries including Canada and Japan.

My comment was in regard to your "PC gamers spend thousands of dollars" remark. Of course you would move the goalposts as your original claim was ridiculous when you consider the makeup of PC's that dominate the PC gaming market.

Lol... you're absurd!

You're the one moving the goalposts by trying to misdirect away from the fact that even console level-hardware on the PC side is more expensive than console hardware. So if you want to pay a premium for the same level of hardware performance on PC as on consoles, then don't bitch when you're being charged console pricing for the games. You can afford it... otherwise, you'd be gaming on a XSS or last gen console.

MarkMe2525

Lol... you're absurd!

You're the one moving the goalposts by trying to misdirect away from the fact that even console level-hardware on the PC side is more expensive than console hardware. So if you want to pay a premium for the same level of hardware performance on PC as on consoles, then don't bitch when you're being charged console pricing for the games. You can afford it... otherwise, you'd be gaming on a XSS or last gen console.
Smh.... Putting words into my mouth will not help you with your unsubstantiated argument. I obviously never suggested that gaming PCs was not more expensive than consoles. I am speaking to the PC gaming market as a whole, in this market most of the "gaming" is done primarily on multipurpose computers and not "gaming PC's".

While an individual who is constructing a "gaming rig" will undoubtedly pay a premium, this is not the majority of the market and this is a nondisputable fact. Regardless, the cost of software has never been tied to the cost of the hardware. Your argument that because the hardware costs more, consumers should expect higher costs of software is nonsensical. The lack of contemplation on your part, to the facts presented, is very telling.

Last edited:

Eotheod

No. The poor people should game on systems they can afford.

Don't buy stuff you can't afford and then bitch about it.
Again, it isn't the inability to purchase that many complain about rising PC prices, it is in fact the actual rising of PC prices for no justification to it. The fact you keep harping on about how poor people shouldn't get into the PC field is some incredibly dated elitist bullshit thinking when PC parts are in fact a fuck ton cheaper then they were during COVID. It is also ignoring that you can now do more for less then 5-10 years ago.

Again, it isn't the inability to purchase that many complain about rising PC prices, it is in fact the actual rising of PC prices for no justification to it. The fact you keep harping on about how poor people shouldn't get into the PC field is some incredibly dated elitist bullshit thinking when PC parts are in fact a fuck ton cheaper then they were during COVID. It is also ignoring that you can now do more for less then 5-10 years ago.

Rising prices are an artifact of the current global economic situation. Console hardware prices went up for PlayStation consoles. Many publishers increased their console game pricing to $70 too.

This thread is predicated on PC gamers' frustration to the results of an economic situation that EVERYONE is feeling. PC gamers aren't special just because they have to pay a little more for PC games in certain territories.

So the complaints of this thread just come across as bitching. And given those PC gamers will generally have more disposable income to be able to afford their luxury version of the AAA gaming hobby, they should be the last people complaining.

Your argument essentially amounts to asking people to sympathize with rich landlords over the rising mortgage interest rates, when many renters who want to get onto the housing ladder can't even afford to buy their first home.... rich whiny bitches should fuck off! They aren't getting any sympathy because they're the last folks who should be complaining.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Sure, but the point is that if you can afford to casually spend a thousand dollars on a GPU for a recreational hobby, then you can afford to spend an extra $10 on new games.... well that or just do what everyone else does and don't buy games day one... wait for sales.
Generally speaking I don’t disagree but while $10 is nothing $10 extra for every game for a generation adds up to something.
Not jumping in day 1 is smart for lots of reasons though, everything seems to need patches so no rush unless it’s a game internet might spoil.
As said I go with subscriptions, makes me try games outside of the ever shrinking perfect-and-worth-full-price bubble. Works better on Xbox than PS right now.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's inline with US price.
¥ 6490 $48.45 (it's $49.99 in the US), though Yen is going back up since last year.
Yea but some contries with inflation being way higher than it is in the US....this still hurts no?

StereoVsn

Same prices in Poland man
Don't these prices include VAT though. Which is 20%, give or take depending on a country. In US (and I think Canada as well), prices are before tax. Taxes can run from 0 (Delaware) to around 12% or so (certain counties in California).

Things are probably still more expensive, but the difference isn't quite that stark.

Now, South America gets screwed over hard by the crazy conversation rates. Well, in case of Brazil huge tariffs too.

N30RYU

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Fredrik

Don't these prices include VAT though. Which is 20%, give or take depending on a country. In US (and I think Canada as well), prices are before tax. Taxes can run from 0 (Delaware) to around 12% or so (certain counties in California).

Things are probably still more expensive, but the difference isn't quite that stark.

Now, South America gets screwed over hard by the crazy conversation rates. Well, in case of Brazil huge tariffs too.
Yes things are very likely still more expensive. Higher inflation, lower salaries, higher living costs, higher prices on fuel and electricity, taxes on everything. The upside at least in Sweden is that healthcare is cheap. Quality has been going down for a long time though.

I plan ahead and use industry related stock investments to pay for my gaming hobby. 2022 was brutal but 2023 has been fine, Nvidia is up 85% so far this year, letting a graphics card upgrade lump of money sit on stocks for a year will make the next upgrade hurt a little less.
The monthly income is needed for food, kids, household, fuel, electricity, mortage etc.

dotnotbot

Playstation 5 is $670
Playstation 5 Digital is $630
Playstation VR 2 is $710

- Sweden

For reference, XSX/XSS is $590/$330

It’s not just conversion rates. Sony can do it, so they are doing it.
🤷‍♂️

MSRP for EU is 550 euro, considering that Sweden has crazy high VAT tax - 25% and Poland's isn't much lower - 23%, those prices don't look too bad. For example Germany has only 19% VAT.

Note that MSRPs for these countries have to also take currency fluctuations into account which were quite huge in the past year or two.

Last edited:

Eotheod

MSRP for EU is 550 euro, considering that Sweden has crazy high VAT tax - 25% and Poland's isn't much lower - 23%, those prices don't look too bad. For example Germany has only 19% VAT.

Note that MSRPs for these countries have to also take currency fluctuations into account which were quite huge in the past year or two.
No, we just have the ability for the most part to shop around unlike console space. Yes you have your stores that take the hit on game prices to foot traffic elsewhere, but in reality the digital consoles are well and truly fucked for pricing.

Top Bottom