• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony introduces Official PlayStation League, own eSports platform for PS4

CaVaYeRo

Sony presented its own eSports platform at Santiago Bernabéu this evening. It's called Liga Oficial PlayStation in Spain. Some details:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/196624/Liga+Oficial+PlayStation,+la+plataforma+de+eSports+de+PS4/

- Starts tomorrow (16th) in Spain
- Soon in Portugal and Italy, probably expanding to Europe.
- Own 'democratic' eSports platform for PS4, for both casual and expert gamers
- Free for PS Plus users
- Linked to PSN account, matchmaking based on play history
- Individual and team prizes
- Season structure: first one lasts until January the 11th.
- Big third party support.
- Starts with Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, War Thunder, FIFA 15, others such as NBA 2K15, Battlefield: Hardline, DriveClub or Invokers Tournament will join soon.

Interesting bet in console space :)

ligaoficialplaystation__1290514b.jpg

ligaoficialplaystation__1290524.jpg

EDIT: Searched, found nothing. James Armstrong pic added.
EDIT: Link has now debut trailer.
EDIT:

Just got first info on prizes:

- Best player of the season will get one year of PS Plus + 1.000 euro
to expend on PS Store
- Prizes for season's 10 best players. Second gets 500 euro + year of PS Plus.
- Additional prizes for teams and best players on specific games.
- Game-specific prize example: you are the best Battlefield 4 player season one, you get Battlefield: Hardline for free (or maybe additional DLC, etc).
- Info specific to this first League (Spanish), may vary on upcoming Leagues (Portugal, Italy, etc).
- Prizes could be complemented with additional stuff or money, depending on League's sponsors and partners.

There's an interview with League's rep, so more details should pop up soon-ish.

Yyyyyyup. Saw the thread title and thought "oh man, please don't mention Driveclub yet... "

I understand that stuff like this was in the works for a while and that DC was clearly envisioned as being apart of that ecosystem, but with its ongoing issues it just seems really tone deaf. :\

That being said, something like this could be cool if it embraced genres or games that aren't typically considered eSports fare.

Gestault

Even if things like this don't "take off" in the mainstream sense of the word, they're fun to take part in and definitely build up a sense of community. I weirdly remember back to the 1 vs 100 XBL live-show events, and even though the game itself wasn't anything particularly amazing, it's one of my favorite gaming "events" from the last gen. This will be no different. I sort of hope they bring this over the pond.

Look maybe I'm alone in this, but I gotta ask:

Am I the only one who finds the concept of ESports to be kind of preposterous.

Its hard to take this seriously as a sport. I only really hold respect for sports that require athelieticisim as a central aspect.

Kumubou

Its hard to take this seriously as a sport. I only really hold respect for sports that require athelieticisim as a central aspect.
It's largely semantics (although there are legal reasons to refer to them as sports, like LoL players now qualify for athletes visas in the US), and e-sports gets used because saying "competitive videogames" is just too unwieldly.

Jomjom

Banned
Hmm... shouldn't they sort out the online problems and PSN before introducing something like this? Cool idea though.

I mean... Driveclub is listed as one of the games...

Maybe this league is going to be for players on LAN or something?

RedAssedApe

Banned

esports will eventually be in the olympics. grow up
jk

Sony's gotta make a fighting game for this!

Also if this makes Invokers Tournament into a big success that would be very interesting.

Kevyt

Sony's own esports league? What does that mean? Sorry I don't know much about esports other than they're largely popular and streamed on Twitch... But this is interesting, I hope it also comes to the US and the rest of NA.

Rembrandt

Banned
seems pretty cool. I like the idea and yeah, they do need a fighter, but I'm sure they will expand the list of games as it gets popular. wonder if it'll make its way to america soon.

Hexa

I hope they pick SF instead of MK.

Did I miss a SF PS4 announcement?
Only fighters I know for PS4 out or soon are DoA, Injustice, GG:Xrd, and MKX. DoA, GG, and MKX seems like a good varied set with Tekkek/SF joining when they come.

tbm24

Bring this to NA; support as many comp multiplayer games as possible.

SCEA, pls.

If they were to do that it would make it more fun to play the game of when the whole thing is going to collapse onto itself. Fact that they announced this at the Bernabéu makes me want to believe they are a little bit serious about it. Taking on a ton of games for giggles would not be doing them any favors.

It is skill based just like any sport. There is money to be made.

tbm24

I usually tend to find it weird when people have this kind of hangup. I don't much care for attaching the term sport to it and in this case entirely irrelevant. It's a competitive league for competitive people who like hitting buttons on a playstation controller. That's all it sets out to be.

Ploid 3.0

There are battles that are won in the mind. The pawns do the busy work. There are games that deal with tactics, quick thinking, and dexterity. It's all the same, just need rules and you have a sport. It can be just as exciting to watch also, and commentators enhance the viewing experience just like well known sports, providing background information, a insight on what the player may be thinking, and so on.

CaVaYeRo

I think the key to this is partners/sponsors/prizes and clarity.

They said they were already talking with media partners and federations. Given how Sony bet on the Champions League ads, it's a given partners will be there, imo.

They're counting competition points tomorrow already, with Madrid Games Week's PS tournaments.

GorillaJu

Hmmm... That's interesting, definitely a viewpoint that I've never heard before and is new to NeoGaf. Perhaps you could elaborate?

bootski

that's a pretty crazy move on their part. i think they're gonna get a good showing just from the games they're starting with and the userbase but the prizes are gonna have to be pretty damn good to make the competition heat up.

VSynk

Banned
It's weird seeing Portugal involved since most of the people here usually don't give a rats crap about games.

But if DoA is on that program count me in.

liquidtmd

Banned
Dear Sony.

Mentioning online functionality in context of Driveclub at the moment is quite a touchy subject.

Thanks
Everyone

Top Bottom