• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony introduces Official PlayStation League, own eSports platform for PS4

CaVaYeRo

B-but no Killzone involved atm :p

Of course, FIFA is the big deal here, which, btw, still has some online problems, same as DriveClub...

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
This + Metal Gear Online 3! My body is ready ( ° ͜ʖ° )

snookee

Neo Member
It's largely semantics (although there are legal reasons to refer to them as sports, like LoL players now qualify for athletes visas in the US), and e-sports gets used because saying "competitive videogames" is just too unwieldly.

Please tell me your joking where ive bolded, as this appears ridiculous. Why not call it e-games instead of e-sports?

stryke

Please tell me your joking where ive bolded, as this appears ridiculous. Why not call it e-games instead of e-sports?

Because that would make no sense. esports is short for electronic sports - that tells us it's competitive. egames just means electronic games...

CaVaYeRo

Sounds like a good idea. Hope it will come in France soon.

I think that, if they don't mess it up somehow, France and Germany are a given. There's been some PS League in DE going on already, just not on a dedicated, in-game platform. Then UK would be the true test of course.

We're talking to the rep tomorrow, hopefully getting some more info on prizes, in-game features etc. Feel free to leave some Qs and I'll try to pass them on.

They need to make this available to all of Europe, if not fully global. E-Sports are already getting huge as it is. Having a major console developer promoting the concept gives the opportunity of making the scene sky rocket by bringing in a new audience.

Also, please get Evolve in on this.

Belgo Ray

Meanwhile, in Germany, they just recently announced a partnership with ESL to revive the local official "PlayStation Liga":

http://play.eslgaming.com/germany/playstationliga
http://blog.de.playstation.com/2014/09/24/playstation-liga-esl-startet-mit-fifa-15/

15145632430_04ab05c7b1_o.jpg

Famassu

Look maybe I'm alone in this, but I gotta ask:

Am I the only one who finds the concept of ESports to be kind of preposterous.

Its hard to take this seriously as a sport. I only really hold respect for sports that require athelieticisim as a central aspect.
Don't be so narrowminded and be hung up on the term eSports. It's people competing with their game playing skills, it's as good a reason as any to arrange tournaments where the best confront the best. They just happen to call it eSports.

Hmm... shouldn't they sort out the online problems and PSN before introducing something like this? Cool idea though.

I mean... Driveclub is listed as one of the games...

Maybe this league is going to be for players on LAN or something?
Most of the time there's zero problems with most PSN online games for most people (it's usually something with the game that is the problem, i.e. Battlefield 4, not PSN itself), so there shouldn't be all that much they need to do with PSN itself to keep things rolling relatively problem free.

And DriveClub isn't in at first, it'll be added to the league in the future. They'll obviously have to sort out its online problems first.

stryke

Not that I know much about it but seeing some asking to bring this to the US, isn't the esports scene already well established there? Wouldn't Sony be better off taking part in those rather than trying to do something on their own like this?

Not that I know much about it but seeing some asking to bring this to the US, isn't the esports scene already well established there? Wouldn't Sony be better off taking part in those rather than trying to do something on their own like this?

Well, there's MLG, but it's largely a MS sponsored event when it comes to consoles. So that would be the main reason that they would bring it to the US. Especially given how popular the PS4 is this gen.

Piccoro

Cool, but I hope that they add fighting games to that roster. Street Fighter IV would have to be the PSNow version, but it's better than nothing...

It's weird seeing Portugal involved since most of the people here usually don't give a rats crap about games.

But if DoA is on that program count me in.

The PS4 sold very well here...

Artex

Banned
Look maybe I'm alone in this, but I gotta ask:

Am I the only one who finds the concept of ESports to be kind of preposterous.

Its hard to take this seriously as a sport. I only really hold respect for sports that require athelieticisim as a central aspect.

Just because the word 'sport' is in it doesn't mean it has to be relevant to physical athleticism. It's a competition. I see you still haven't stopped bitching about mundane shit since your days on IGN.

BadWolf

Yeah but aren't those external events that people have to seek out on their own?

This is something Sony could incorporate into the UI and give it a lot more exposure.

TomShoe

Banned
Can't blame them for doing it in Europe. MLG is too entrenched here in the states, and I doubt Microsoft is gonna stop paying them anytime soon.

CaVaYeRo

Just got first info on prizes:

- Best player of the season will get one year of PS Plus + 1.000 euro
to expend on PS Store
- Prizes for season's 10 best players. Second gets 500 euro + year of PS Plus.
- Additional prizes for teams and best players on specific games.
- Game-specific prize example: you are the best Battlefield 4 player season one, you get Battlefield: Hardline for free (or maybe additional DLC, etc).
- Info specific to this first League (Spanish), may vary on upcoming Leagues (Portugal, Italy, etc).
- Prizes could be complemented with additional stuff or money, depending on League's sponsors and partners.

There's an interview with League's rep, so more details should pop up soon-ish.

BadWolf

Just got first info on prizes:

- Best player of the season will get one year of PS Plus + 1.000 euro
to expend on PS Store
- Prizes for season's 10 best players. Second gets 500 euro + year of PS Plus.
- Additional prizes for teams and best players on specific games.
- Game-specific prize example: you are the best Battlefield 4 player season one, you get Battlefield: Hardline for free (or maybe additional DLC, etc).
- Info specific to this first League (Spanish), may vary on upcoming Leagues (Portugal, Italy, etc).
- Prizes could be complemented with additional stuff or money, depending on League's sponsors and partners.

There's an interview with League's rep, so more details should pop up soon-ish.

That's pretty nice.

Alx

It's surprising that they choose Spain to pioneer such a program. Even if they're popular there, it's still a minor market compared to other European countries. Good for them anyway. :)

Meanwhile, in Germany, they just recently announced a partnership with ESL to revive the local official "PlayStation Liga":

Do they intend to have a different program per country ?

Surely resolving PSN is the priority?

Obviously not, why fix problems when a PR exercise is available.

LOL You serious?

“I’m sorry everyone but PSN has been a little iffy for some people so from now on we are doing nothing of interest to promote the console or create a community until these minor issues are fixed, even if your department doesn’t work on PSN or server related issues.”

These people organising this event probably have nothing to do with anything that could make a meaningful impact on any issues PSN might be having.

I swear, the amount of comments I see on this site that show some people have no idea how a company actually works is astounding. Things take time to organise and everyone doesn’t work in one giant team that handles every issue.

I remember working at the Home Office for Employee Litigation and receiving a call asking how someone’s immigration status application was doing. I politely informed them that I have nothing to do with that side of the job. They didn’t believe me and got more and more angry, calling me a liar etc, even after informing them that 1000’s of people work in hundreds of different teams dealing with just as many issues. I had to hang up in the end because there was just no getting through to them.

Kalnos

Banned
If the potential was there for any of these games to be an e-sport then the community for them would have already made them one. Not seeing this having much impact.

Raide

I feel that e-sports should appear because the gaming community makes it appear and not because some huge publishers want it to appear so they can get more cash and push their PR agenda.

This always feels way more forced and heavy-handed.

I feel that e-sports should appear because the gaming community makes it appear and not because some huge publishers want it to appear so they can get more cash and push their PR agenda.

This always feels way more forced and heavy-handed.

All the games listed in the OT are common tournament titles. So i'm not sure how they're forced.

Raide

All the games listed in the OT are common tournament titles. So i'm not sure how they're forced.

So why the need to show off a brand new service when others already do this. Anyone who cares about e-sports already follows it. Also a fairly blatant way to push games into an e-sports limelight that would normally get ignored. Having DriveClub in there is interesting.

Do those leagues exist in the countries where this is launching? Belgo Ray mentioned above that Sony was collaborating with ESL for a league in Germany. So it seems like they may be establishing leagues in countries that aren't covered by existing leagues. Which is good for the gamers in those countries that want to be able to play in tournaments.

CaVaYeRo

I don't think other leagues have any kind of PSN 'support' or tracking. Looks like, in the beginning, there's no actual in-game integration, but let's see with Invokers and future titles if people use this a lot during Christmas. Would be cool with in-game ranks and even league trophies or notifications, imo.

This is new official poster:

Dude that fire arm and water arm Predator fist clench is badass I hope that this comes to the US

Also, Sony should make a F2P MOBA if it wants some esports munney

Nice idea.

My entirely un-researched opinion of the PS4 fanbase is that it contains a large amount of people who will like this - which is a good thing.

Top Bottom