• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Reportedly Prepping Another “Thinner” PlayStation 4 Model

And it still wont play UHD Blu Rays.

I think Sony wants to go into this holiday with a big price advantage against a probable 399 Scorpio. If they can have the PS4 base at 249+game that would be real compelling once its not made out of biscuit tin plastic like the PS3 super slim

kabel

sony-playstation-2-3ek-460.jpg

c'mon SONY...

come on!

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Either way I'm in...my launch PS4 ejects discs and wont stop beeping for no reason

I don't know, they're going to have a $199 base model and a $299 pro? They'd be too close in price for it to really make sense.

Sadly, it won't be Pro slim. Slims are designed with price drop in consumer's mind. It'll be regular PS4. However, if it is Pro slim then I expect a $50 price drop attached to it.

Ideally, it should be Pro slim if Sony wants to compete with Scorpio. Dropping the base slim and pro slim by $50 each will be a nice bang for the buck, distracting users from Scorpio​.

jts

...hate me...
Keep slimming it down until it's the size of an Apple TV. That's the dream.

Not with x86/active cooling/2.5" HDD/optical drive.

But there's still plenty of room to shrink before hitting those barriers I guess. I'm thinking Wii size would be the limit.

I'd rather they focus on making a Super Pro version with the VR box built in. Having all those fucking wires going everywhere is a disaster.

Only that would prompt me to upgrade from my all matte original black eraser.

AmyS

Both the Slim PS4 and the PS4 Pro are fucking ugly.

Make the new PS4 Slim and a PS4 Pro Slim that use the same style and sleek lines of the original PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How small could they go? Is the slim using a 16nm APU already?

Now that the OS supports external USB drives, they could attempt a flash drive one with eg 64GB SSD/M2 built in, and then you bring your own USB drive. That would shrink the size a little. Ditch the optical drive and go external power supply for the ultimate slimness

Would be cool if it was a slimmer PS4 Pro but I doubt it. What I really want them to do is release a white PS4 Pro in addition to a price drop around E3.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
2013: The glorious "phat" PS4
2016: PS4 Slim
201?: PS4 Super Slim

I bet this is all separate from the Pro. That has to be rather large at the moment, most likely.

A more refined, power-efficient Pro would be nice. I'm curious to know whether we'll see something this year. Seems a little early to me.

oti

Banned
How hilarious would it be if Sony was to release yet another PS4 while Gamestop claims bad business performance on console manufacturers not releasing enough consoles.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
How hilarious would it be if Sony was to release yet another PS4 while Gamestop claims bad business performance on console manufacturers not releasing enough consoles.

Yes, they'll look for an excuse.

While sales may decline slightly in year 6 and year 7, long console cycles seem to work really well for Sony and Microsoft, as well as other retailers. Most consumers don't seem to mind either, aside from some high-end PC users who feel multiplats are held back, but those aren't the general larger market anyway.

2019 is the launch of PS5.

2020 is possible until we see otherwise. In fact, if this super slim PS4 (or PS4 Pro Slim I guess if that's possible) is a thing, I'm starting to lean towards 2020 myself.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't know, they're going to have a $199 base model and a $299 pro? They'd be too close in price for it to really make sense.

I want a Pro but I'm searching for the best (cheapest) deal right now.

I keep debating over a Switch and a PS3 or a Pro.

A Pro at $299 would be instant buy right now for me. Then the debate would be Switch or PS3...lol.

Would be easier to just hold off on the Switch since its hard to get right now.

Top Bottom