• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Reportedly Prepping Another “Thinner” PlayStation 4 Model

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Don't believe DigiTimes one lick.

PS4 "slimmer" seems like a wasted revision, especially since ps4 slim released not too long ago

ditch?! They need to fucking put a 4K Blu Ray drive.

Haha right? Wtf are people in here on about.

MS: Our new XBox plays 4K blu rays.
Customer: Sony how do you respond?
Sony: Oh yeah? Fuck all of you, nobody gets ANY blu rays!

Nah but for real remove the disc drive Sony. It worked so well for the PSP Go.

B-Ri

Haha right? Wtf are people in here on about.

MS: Our new XBox plays 4K blu rays.
Customer: Sony how do you respond?
Sony: Oh yeah? Fuck all of you, nobody gets ANY blu rays!

Nah but for real remove the disc drive Sony. It worked so well for the PSP Go.

I think that's a bad analogy. When the PSPGo came out, the store wasn't supporting the handheld well at all. PS4, I'm having trouble thinking what if any games aren't available digitally.

PS4 "slimmer" seems like a wasted revision, especially since ps4 slim released not too long ago

I definitely believe that Sony is working on another revision for the base PS4, but I'm doubtful that it'll come anytime soon. Besides the strange choice of wording with "prepping", the PS4 slim and PS4 Pro just hit the market less than a year ago. It just doesn't make business sense to stop production on either model so soon.

My personal bet is that we'll see a revised base PS4 or PS4 Pro in 2019 to stand alongside PS5.

I think that's a bad analogy. When the PSPGo came out, the store wasn't supporting the handheld well at all. PS4, I'm having trouble thinking what if any games aren't available digitally.

Is it a bad analogy? I don't see how a model that offers fewer content delivery options to the consumer would ever be seen as a smart move.

I don't see the point unless it's cheaper than the already cheap slim, or offers something like portability.

Unless they remove the disc drive I guess. That way they can make it cheaper and give people more options. The PSP GO may not have sold well, but it didn't help that half of the PSP games weren't available on the PSP GO's market place. What it didn't do however, was harm the PSPs reception. A blu-ray drive absent PS4 wouldn't harm the PS4 ecosystem, it would just give people more ways to access it, and consume.

massucci

Banned
I definitely believe that Sony is working on another revision for the base PS4, but I'm doubtful that it'll come anytime soon. Besides the strange choice of wording with "prepping", the PS4 slim and PS4 Pro just hit the market less than a year ago. It just doesn't make business sense to stop production on either model so soon.

My personal bet is that we'll see a revised base PS4 or PS4 Pro in 2019 to stand alongside PS5.
I could wrong but ps4 pro isn't it manufactured in the same quantity of the base ps4. Just a coincidence? I speculate but a less expensive pro maybe it's something that they are waiting for.

jelly

Sony will do whatever if there is enough savings that make it worth it.

Is there a die shrink in line this year or are they just moving things around, less memory chips, optimal design?

Still think it's the Pro or both. That cost saving and freshness will go well against the Scorpio and Xbox One S. Sony won't sit back.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
How great would it be to have a PS4 similar to the PS2 slim? A man can dream.

Sure, you can dream, but how the hell would you fit an HDD in there?

Glad I don't care about everything being made as small as possible, I'll stick with my phat PS4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

There's nothing wasted if you can go thinner.

Smaller innards and smaller box means less cost. That being said you could shrink the insides without needing to totally redo the enclosure. I mean they already did that with the OG PS4 with the 1200 model.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What's the fabrication scale for current PS4 chipsets? Not sure how much gain can by made from process improvements as regards manufacturing cost.

Obviously Sony will always try and improve efficiency, particularly as the way that MS are going and Nintendo's arrival on the scene makes competing on RRP an big deal for them.

A PS4 "super slim" with a cheap top loading drive. PS4 Pro slim with internal alterations and maybe looking less like two OG PS4s stuck together. Then again considering the source... Meh. Weren't the PS4 Slim and Pro APUs already 14nm?

If there's a price drop around the time of the Scorpio's release and major bundle deals I might finally get a PS4 (Pro).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
A PS4 "super slim" with a cheap top loading drive. PS4 Pro slim with internal alterations and maybe looking less like two OG PS4s stuck together. Then again considering the source... Meh. Weren't the PS4 Slim and Pro APUs already 14nm?

If there's a price drop around the time of the Scorpio's release and major bundle deals I might finally get a PS4 (Pro).

Yep, 14nm. I think a $50 price drop this year is possible (especially depending on what MS does and how they're received), but like some others here, I think any size revisions won't happen for a couple years, depending on manufacturing advances.

Tonyx

A slim Pro with a price cut will do wonders.

There has basically never been any significant promotion on the Pro and it's still selling alright. With a new look and a price cut it will do really well.

Bulby

I would upgrade to a quieter Pro for sure. Im in the camp of having a jet engine under my TV when playing Pro patched games.

Garibaldi

What exactly is clunky about the current PS4 Pro design? I'd agree it is a bit chunkier than the standard PS4 but clunky?

I'll be pissed if they bring a revision of the Pro out with a UHD BR drive this soon after the initial release. My passive aggressive grumbling will strike fear into any man.

Caayn

Water is wet? A new model doesn't fall out of the sky, it takes a while before it goes from pencil and paper to the stores.

You can bet that Sony is already working on PS5.
$49 - Driveless
-$10 - Driveless & Controller-less ($10 is credited to PSN account)
Removing the ODD doesn't reduce the BOM by $50.
Wonder if these are 10nm chips unlikely l guess?
I might be wrong but AMD is said to skip 10nm in favour of 7nm. The foundry that AMD uses, GlobalFoundries, is set to mass produce 7nm in the second half of 2018.

If the PS4 is the Quarter Pounder, the Pro is the Big Mac, and the Slim.is the Cheeseburger, what does that make the Super Slim?

The Bacon and Egg Muffin?

STEaMkb

Has anyone examined the primary source for this story. Here it is:

Sony is expected to release a thinner version of its PlayStation 4.

A throwaway sentence consisting of 11 words.

"Sony is expected" sounds like they are a few months behind this story, not ahead of it.

Top Bottom