• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Reportedly Prepping Another “Thinner” PlayStation 4 Model

PaBing'ah

Neo Member
I guess the design will be like this. :p
oqV71Q3.png

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
No new software and all. Keep the library. Introduce a Sony Mini. Underpowered version of the PS4. Just like the Sony Pro but goes the other way.

Even at 720p (I can't see Sony dropping to 540p again), I'm fairly certain we're a few years away from having a portable that could run a PS4 game with a battery life that is not significantly shorter than Switch's. While Sony is probably more likely to cut down on control extras and dedicate more of the cost to modern processor tech compared to Nintendo, I don't think they could do this and achieve the goal soon.

There's also the question of what AMD is currently offering and their TDPs and when they'll be ready to produce the chip serviceable for a "PS4 Switch" product. Additionally, there's the question of storage cost and the fact that the file sizes of many of PS4's existing library of games are currently much bigger than anything that's appearing on Switch. A huge amount of internal flash storage would be very expensive, and MicroSD's aren't quite cheap enough to be handling lots of 25-50+ GB games (with 5+ GB patches). This all just seems a few years away from being viable/possible.

Pasedo

With a slimmer form factor I reckon they should build a screen into it like a laptop to make it semi portable. You can unplug it from the TV and play it on the bed or if you move around between places frequently it's great for that as well :)

Bgamer90

Banned
A slimmer PS4 Pro would make sense I guess. Another regular PS4 redesign would be unnecessary right now.

Sony should never release a model as cheap as the PS3 super slim. Looked like a knockoff.

Glad I got my PS4 after they went all matte but before they switched to the slim. OG PS4 is one of my favorite designs for a console.

The ps4 slim is the base model ps4. They can keep making it smaller and retain the name since the guts are essentially the same. It's not another tier of console.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think it makes sense to release a slimmer PS4 Pro in late 2018 or 2019.

This is what I'm expecting. Another redesign, paired with a price drop, likely for both the Slim and Pro, as Sony gears up for the PS5 launch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool, I'm in the market for a slimmer Pro. Really don't like the current design (best looking PS4 is still the OG).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony is going to just rehash their hardware every year so their hardcore fans are going to keep buying isn't it /s

This honestly doesn't surprise me at all. Just looked it up to find that the PS3 slim was released in 2009, with the "Super slim" releasing in 2012. I don't think it's crazy to think that they're already designing a a second revision.

It'd be interesting to see a revision of the PS4 Pro though too.

PS4 Pro slim
$249 - 1T

PS4 slim
$149 - 1T
$99 - 500GB

vs

Scorpio

This is going to be interesting.

I too like to dream. No way in heck that pricing is happening before PS5 though. Even then, I don't think even the PS3 went below $149 MSRP. Let's not forgot that the current MSRP for PS4 slim is $299 for 500Gb.

I'd bet money on an official MSRP drop to $250 for the slim come fall, along with some "limited time" bundles that are $199. I'll be amazed if PS4 Pro goes below $349 MSRP.

I'm assuming this would be announced at E3 and release holiday 2017? Kinda makes sense if they are planning on going up against Switch and Scorpio that holiday.

SpecX

If they could slim it down more and price it at $179 or even $149, Sony could easily win this holiday season.

rSpooky

And they care more about size. Bc that means less parts, less retail space, lower shipping costs, etc.
51XA739GA6L._SX425_.jpg

im ready

HAHA as I read this thread I was thinking "what if they all of a sudden came out on E3 with their new model and it is a portable form factor like switch " (downloadable games only off course)

Yeah I know never gonna happen.. But it be mind-blowing for sure.

Hmm... I'm really interested in getting a Pro this coming holiday season so I wouldn't be upset if they slim that beast down. My launch PS4 is feeling a little long in the tooth these days anyways.

Top Bottom