• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is teasing a game reveal on 4/19 "Will vengeance bring redemption?"

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakeX said:
They'll still have different pluses. I fully expect TLoU to have better animation simply because it is grounded. It's important to make the characters animate in a convincing way. GoW will certainly be the bigger spectacle just because of the nature of the series. It's worth remembering that Uncharted isn't as insane as GoW3, but many considered U2 to be the better looking game.

Well those people are wrong. :p Nah but I get you. For me though I'll be surprised if TLoU impresses me more, and many of GOW3's cut-scenes were actually real-time so it has that going for it as well.

Whichever one doesn't come out for Xmas out of TLOU and GOW IV, the other will be the Spring game. Sony needs a big Xmas game.

It's obviously going to be The Last Guardian.

lol no

March is God of War's month, I don't see it moving from that spot.

Well those people are wrong. :p Nah but I get you. For me though I'll be surprised if TLoU impresses me more, and many of GOW3's cut-scenes were actually real-time so it has that going for it as well.

It's obviously going to be The Last Guardian.

lol no

I think it would be much better for Sony if they released GOW on the holidays and left TLOU to next year.

I do. The game has already had over 2 years of development time, by the fall it will have 2.5 years. God of War 2 had a 2 year development time.

Plus Sony needs a game for the fall. If it's not God of War, then what is it? They don't really have anything to fill that slot.

Globox_82

Banned
this time around it will be reversed. GOW will be in fall (rumored release was September 2012 anyways) and TLOS makes more sense to be early next year, even if I want to play it asap. But new IP going against so many established ones that we have in the fall. Not a smart move.

Trevelyan

Banned
I do. The game has already had over 2 years of development time, by the fall it will have 2.5 years. God of War 2 had a 2 year development time.

Plus Sony needs a game for the fall. If it's not God of War, then what is it? They don't really have anything to fill that slot.

The Last of Us. By this fall that game will have been in development for 3 years.

Smaller games this fall are Sly 4 and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

I'm just hoping that they'll try to push the gore levels even higher than they did in GoW3. I'd specifically like to see them one up the Hercules fight.

The Last of Us. By this fall that game will have been in development for 3 years.

Smaller games this fall are Sly 4 and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

The Last of Us is a new game concept, the team that began prototyping it for 3 years is much smaller than the Uncharted team, and is probably just now ramping up production.

In contrast, the huge Sony Santa Monica team has been doing something similar -- split up into one larger team for a short-term PS3 release (God of War 4), and smaller team developing a roadmap for a future IP on a new console.

I would be very surprised if the Last of Us manages to make it this year. Every comment they've made about a release date has been clear that they will only release it when it's ready.

Mario007

I'm just hoping that they'll try to push the gore levels even higher than they did in GoW3. I'd specifically like to see them one up the Hercules fight.

you get to fight Hercules? Fuck, that sounds good. I never got into GOW since I'm not a hack-and-smash fun, but all this talk about these awesome levels makes me want to try it out.

you get to fight Hercules? Fuck, that sounds good. I never got into GOW since I'm not a hack-and-smash fun, but all this talk about these awesome levels makes me want to try it out.

Hercules and Poseidon make GoW3 worth it.

And jeez, so hard to know which game is this. Beating the shit out of Thor now?

Globox_82

Banned

Play it man, game is stellar. When it comes to gore. Hades fight takes a dump on Hercules one. imo

Mario007

The Last of Us is a new game concept, the team that began prototyping it for 3 years is much smaller than the Uncharted team, and is probably just now ramping up production.

In contrast, the huge Sony Santa Monica team has been doing something similar -- split up into one larger team for a short-term PS3 release (God of War 4), and smaller team developing a roadmap for a future IP on a new console.

I would be very surprised if the Last of Us manages to make it this year. Every comment they've made about a release date has been clear that they will only release it when it's ready.

Regarding SSM, actually, isn't it that GOD4 is the junior member's game and the previous leads and senior staff moved on to a different product? Also SSM coders and such helped thatgamingcompany with Journey and are also helping out Lightbox with Starhawk.

But you're right regarding TLOU, I mean ND presidents basically said that since U3 they will not make up arbitrary dates to finish the games and rather finish the games when they're ready.

My biggest gripe with God of War 3 is how dark everything is.

I liked God of War 2 because of the varied locations, some lush ruin areas to mix it up with some of the darker regions.

God of War 3 in contrast is straight up dark. And it feels limited in that respect, I really hope the next God of War brings us some beautiful looking areas again.

Regarding SSM, actually, isn't it that GOD4 is the junior member's game and the previous leads and senior staff moved on to a different product? Also SSM coders and such helped thatgamingcompany with Journey and are also helping out Lightbox with Starhawk.

But you're right regarding TLOU, I mean ND presidents basically said that since U3 they will not make up arbitrary dates to finish the games and rather finish the games when they're ready.

No, that's not how game development works. The main team working God of War 4 is going to be the bulk of the studio because it has a compressed schedule for release. The future IP that won't release for a few years is being worked on with a smaller team, and once God of War 4 is done the bulk of the production staff will move on towards developing it.

Sure, some key members of the staff may be on the new project, but in terms of dedicated people working God of War 4, it's going to be much larger in comparison to the new IP at this stage. This allows some of the more junior guys to become leads and let the previous leads work on something new. It's basically the exact same situation Naughty Dog is in, and Uncharted 3 released before The Last of Us.

Globox_82

Banned
Cool will definatelly look into it. I guess it would be best to start with the HD collection and then move on to the GOW3, right?

yes, but there is always a chance that you don't like first games, that maybe some will find outdated. So unless you are ready to really give it a try and play all games (at least those that were on consoles first) I say go directly to GOW3 for the spectacle if nothing else.
No other series makes you feel like a savage like GOW does. I don't even like hack and slash genre. DMC, Bayonetta, etc but I love GOW because of that gore, savagery ....

Mario007

No, that's not how game development works. The main team working God of War 4 is going to be the bulk of the studio because it has a compressed schedule for release. The future IP that won't release for a few years is being worked on with a smaller team, and once God of War 4 is done the bulk of the production staff will move on towards developing it.

Sure, some key members of the staff may be on the new project, but in terms of dedicated people working God of War 4, it's going to be much larger in comparison to the new IP at this stage. This allows some of the more junior guys to become leads and let the previous leads work on something new. It's basically the exact same situation Naughty Dog is in, and Uncharted 3 released before The Last of Us.

Oh right, I was under the impression that they literally split into two equal-enough teams and started working on two separate games. To be honest the only company who's development methods I follow is Square Enix, and let's just say they're not exactly the most orthodox when it comes to the development of titles.

Also since we're on the subject, it seems like an awful lot of Sony's premier studios are splitting into two teams; you have ND, SSM, GG and even Sucker Punch (kinda, I know there's only around 100 people at SP but even before I2 was finished they said they were already working on a new IP, which could mean that a smaller team was working on that). Any other ones, that I've left out?
It's a smart move by Sony to double the output of the premier studios and close down the less successful one.

yes, but there is always a chance that you don't like first games, that maybe some will find outdated. So unless you are ready to really give it a try and play all games (at least those that were on consoles first) I say go directly to GOW3 for the spectacle if nothing else.
No other series makes you feel like a savage like GOW does. I don't even like hack and slash genre. DMC, Bayonetta, etc but I love GOW because of that gore, savagery ....

Cool, I was thinking with the updated visuals to HD the collection might not seem as dated (since hack-and-slash mechanics dont really change through the ages). I'd say i'll go for collection and GOW3 if I can find both cheapish enough, if not then i'll just jump right onto GOW3.

Also since we're on the subject, it seems like an awful lot of Sony's premier studios are splitting into two teams; you have ND, SSM, GG and even Sucker Punch (kinda, I know there's only around 100 people at SP but even before I2 was finished they said they were already working on a new IP, which could mean that a smaller team was working on that). Any other ones, that I've left out?
It's a smart move by Sony to double the output of the premier studios and close down the less successful one.

Has Sucker Punch confirmed that they're splitting into new teams and working on new IP?

Globox_82

Banned
Has Sucker Punch confirmed that they're splitting into new teams and working on new IP?

they are hiring and maybe one year ago they hired some ex Halo dude, so who knows. Maybe they surprise us like Naughty Dog.And they are first party now. All I know is that Infamous PSn game has been selling amazingly well. It was in the top for months and still is. Not sure what that means for Infamous franchise. Probably better return & profit on R&D if they sell shorter game on PSN.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cool will definatelly look into it. I guess it would be best to start with the HD collection and then move on to the GOW3, right?

No, I don't think so. You'll be bored/soured by then, instead going straight to GOW3 will make for a shockingly good experience and a rare spectacle in both gfx and rawness. Trust me on this. Also the character will be more fresh, punchy and memorable.

Globox_82

Banned
No, I don't think so. You'll be bored/soured by then, instead going straight to GOW3 will make for a shockingly good experience and a rare spectacle in both gfx and rawness. Trust me on this. Also the character will be more fresh, punchy and memorable.

that's true. I have to agree.

Unless Evolution cease to make Motorstorm games from now on, they have two teams as they brought in someone leading a new IP for them.

Guerilla have two teams in Amsterdam.
Naughty Dog have two teams.
Santa Monica have the big GOW team and then several other smaller teams.

It would be nice if each their studios at least had a portable team making games for Vita/Suite too. Costs would be lower because the rent/building costs are already accounted for and talent can move between teams.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Cool, I was thinking with the updated visuals to HD the collection might not seem as dated (since hack-and-slash mechanics dont really change through the ages). I'd say i'll go for collection and GOW3 if I can find both cheapish enough, if not then i'll just jump right onto GOW3.

GoW 1 has the best story, GoW 2 is the overall best game, and GoW 3 has the best graphics and combat. Depending on what you're looking for in the games, GoW 3 can arguably be skipped since the level design is uneven (Zeus' giant crate storage room blows ass) and the story just goes to shit and 'LOLHOPE' failure at the end of the game. If you play it purely for the spectacle, it's still a mindblowing experience. Either way, I'd definitely recommend you to play the games in the intended order.

Mario007

They confirmed they were working on a new IP prior to E3 last year. That was before Sony bought them, before I2 and FOB were released. So I guess they are/were at least doing some pre-production with a few people while the bulk worked at Infamous.

that's true. I have to agree.

Cool, so GOW3 it is, then.

Globox_82

Banned
Unless Evolution cease to make Motorstorm games from now on, they have two teams as they brought in someone leading a new IP for them.

Guerilla have two teams in Amsterdam.
Naughty Dog have two teams.
Santa Monica have the big GOW team and then several other smaller teams.

It would be nice if each their studios at least had a portable team making games for Vita/Suite too. Costs would be lower because the rent/building costs are already accounted for and talent can move between teams.

Senior GOW team member moved to a new IP. So that will make GOW4 even more interesting (if that is true) to see what younger guys bring to the table.

GeoramA

I really cant wait to see this now.

GOW3 had some of the best used of gore and violence.
Probably the biggest reason I love this series. Certain people can bitch about the gameplay all they want, no other game or series has the style that GoW has.

Pistolero

So a teaser on thursday with an appropriate trailer -or gameplay demonstration- during the E3 conference?
I openly welcome a new PS3 entry, but if I were to make the decision, I would favor the Vita right now!

Fezan

Isn't this considered spamming?

see my reason to edit
Anyways
heavenly-sword-r1-front-cover-15021.jpg

beyond revenge lies redemption on HS cover .This also gives some hint ! but still ithink its gow4

BadWolf

The safest option would be to include Nariko in a GOW game. The success of a sequel to HS is uncertain but a GOW will sell for sure. This way everyone is happy and they get to test waters for a possible HS2.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
i'll laugh my ass off if it turns out to be Heavenly Sword 2 for Vita

Why? A new GOW is inevitable anyway, something like Heavenly Sword 2 on the Vita would be out of nowhere and pretty neat. It would sell like 15 copies, but would be neat none the less.

The Vita would be a good fit for HS Imo. Lots of control options, it would cost less to make and it could breathe some new life into it.

Though it almost assuredly is GOW IV.

i-Lo

I think a Vita release for a game like GoW4 or HS2 makes more sense because:

1. It'll be cheaper to produce.

2. It's already known to many (not as many who know of GoW). More sales.

3. Vita needs top tier software (again, if it's from sony's FP, I can expect that to happen) to accelerate sales.

Top Bottom