• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, Nintendo, & MS videogame profitability numbers through June 30 2007

[Nintex]

the_id said:
can someone give me a summary especially with the situation of the PS3? i can't understand these sales threads.
5.59 million sold since launch
New software(Lair, HS) bombed
A couple billion yen in the red.

the_id said:
can someone give me a summary especially with the situation of the PS3? i can't understand these sales threads.
Sony's about lost all profit made from the PS2 on the PS3.

That seems to be the gist of it.

the_id said:
Thanks. I hope the console will still be supported by 3rd parties.
For the first two years it should be better as games were already well in development when it started going downhill.

After that though... there's no real guarantee.

NolbertoS

Tagged..Great thread with fiscal reporting..I'm not into the System's Wars, but great to see how each company has fared during that time. A month breakdown of the fiscal year would be great too, as we would be able to predict trends of what sells and what doesn't.

apujanata

NolbertoS said:
Tagged..Great thread with fiscal reporting..I'm not into the System's Wars, but great to see how each company has fared during that time. A month breakdown of the fiscal year would be great too, as we would be able to predict trends of what sells and what doesn't.

Since no company released their monthly statement to the press, then your expectation is impossible

zsidane

apujanata said:
When can we expect release of Oct - Dec 07 data from each company ? Is it Mid January 08 ?
On the 24th after the close of the market for Microsoft, and on the 26th for Nintendo.

bycha

Updated.

Notes:

1 Kutaragi was right. Sony's $113M profit in 3rd Q is incredible. I think it shows great vision to bring best hardware that will be 2 times cheaper to produce after it's 1st year on the market. From now on PS3 will be close to 360 in pricing and always will have technological advantage.
With additional cost reductions of blu-ray and 65nm RSX that well may be in production right now and big software titles coming Sony's Game Division may well show it's usual $ billion+ per year soon.

I think it's clear that ps3 was still not profitable that Q, but evergreen PS2 and successful PSP helped to bring division to green zone again. PSP software sales are bad though and I'm not sure they will improve that much.

2 Nintendo's results are beyond anything that ever happened. If they will meet demand for Wii worldwide they can go to 3, maybe 4 billion per year.

3 Microsoft done great. Their best quarter on the big software titles. I'm sensing pricecut from them this spring though that may hurt their profitability but overall i think it' s clear that whole 360 project will turn profit in the coming years.

apujanata

bycha said:
Updated.

Notes:

1 Kutaragi was right. Sony's $113M profit in 3rd Q is incredible. I think it shows great vision to bring best hardware that will be 2 times cheaper to produce after it's 1st year on the market. From now on PS3 will be close to 360 in pricing and always will have technological advantage.
With additional cost reductions of blu-ray and 65nm RSX that well may be in production right now and big software titles coming Sony's Game Division may well show it's usual $ billion+ per year soon.

I think it's clear that ps3 was still not profitable that Q, but evergreen PS2 and successful PSP helped to bring division to green zone again. PSP software sales are bad though and I'm not sure they will improve that much.

2 Nintendo's results are beyond anything that ever happened. If they will meet demanв for Wii worldwide they con go to 3, maybe 4 billion per year.

3 Microsoft done great. Their best quarter on the big software titles. I'm sensing pricecut from them this spring though that may hurt their profitability but overall i think it' s clear that whole 360 project will turn profit in the coming years.

Good news overall this quarter. Microsoft might need 5 more years before it can convert the cumulative loss into cumulative profit.

lizardking said:
so wait, nintendo has made more profit in 3 quarters than sony has since 1998?
Yes. Blame it on PS3 R&D and losses during 2007. -1.9 Billion is almost Nintendo's last 3 Quarter profit.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Those are big numbers, be they from profits or losses. Way bigger than I first thought.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
LizardKing said:

Yeah, when you put it that way it does make you wonder, Nintendo has been a juggernaught since 2006, and 2Billion + in profit the past year confrims that, at this rate we're going to have to promote them again, they've risen to heaven already, where next?

Neo C.

Stop It said:
Yeah, when you put it that way it does make you wonder, Nintendo has been a juggernaught since 2006, and 2Billion + in profit the past year confrims that, at this rate we're going to have to promote them again, they've risen to heaven already, where next?
Try to stay in heaven should be challenge enough. :p
But seriously, it seems the competitors already gave up the race for the first place. Instead of spending money to fire up the race, they are already concentrating on turning the business into profit. The market needs more price drops!

It's funny, because in the days of the GameCube some people thought Nintendo was going the way of SEGA - citing arrogance in ignoring internet connectivity. Nintendo said people would rather play next to each other on the same TV than play over the internet, and in the age of on-line gaming, people thought they were insane. Plus, the newly announced DS look like a future colossal failure.

Man was I *Imeanthosepeople* were wrong.

Spoit

Rapping Granny said:
I don't know if I read this right, Microsoft didn't make any profit this year?
Huh? really? I thought the only reason they were in the red all the way at the begining of the year was because of the massive repair program they made for the RROD, and the profits only went up from there.

Rapping Granny said:
I don't know if I read this right, Microsoft didn't make any profit this year?

You're reading it wrong. This is the only year they made a profit, 532,000,000. Everyone should be happy to see all 3 console manufacturers turning a profit.

bycha

LizardKing said:

Yeah it's funny when you put it this way. Though ps3 will be a great investment for sony for like 10-15 years. I'm not sure wii will sell that good after 2010. I think they will have to come with hardware on par with ps3.

Stop It said:

One thing remains -- Nintendo's consoles are still not perceived as consoles that have a lot of hardcore games on it. Everybody knows about it success but a lot of people still think it's for parties, casuals, kids etc. Some people are lost to humanity great games on Wii because they only care about graphics but still N have to do a lot to shift that perspective that wii is not for hardcore gamer.

Every good game on wii in popular genre or with big marketing was a success but much, much more games have to be there.

It will be fun if RE4 Wii Edition will sell more than RE4 on PS2. Okami may sell more than a million etc.

Then yeah -- it's gaming heaven for Nintendo.

bycha

mckmas8808 said:
Sony am genius. I think they will turn a profit overall in 2008.

If they were able to do profit with software releases like Uncharted and Ratchet than hell yeah -- titles like Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 etc. will make them more than just profitable.

Neo C.

mckmas8808 said:
Sony am genius. I think they will turn a profit overall in 2008.
They will turn a profit in 2008, if they only allow modest price drops. I think they make some good profits with PS2 and PSP hardware.

_Leech_ said:
Except for the N64. And GC.
The technology wasn't costly. Nintendo sold their consoles for 200$.

Soule

bycha said:
Nintendo's results are beyond anything that ever happened. If they will meet demand for Wii worldwide they can go to 3, maybe 4 billion per year.

Boggles my mind.

Also I can't believe how much Microsoft have lost since they've entered the market, but good on them for finally cracking some profitability.

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
wait. bycha, you honestly think the PS3 will be generating income for 10-15 years?

Are you fucking nuts?

haha... 10 is even possible.... But seriously, things made possible with PS3 - like BD royalties, will definetly bring them profits 10-15 years from now.... Of course, it will never be on the same sheet as their gaming unit...

spwolf said:
haha... 10 is even possible.... But seriously, things made possible with PS3 - like BD royalties, will definetly bring them profits 10-15 years from now.... Of course, it will never be on the same sheet as their gaming unit...
In 15 years the PS3 will be more dead than Mama Cass, and while I'm quite certain BD is going to be the format of choice, even DVD hasn't been around 15 years.

10 years, BD should still be kicking, but I wouldn't call that PS3's income.

The Hermit

Whoa, putting those numbers like that really makes you think... it's true that Nintendo is the only company that has gamming pratically as the only income, but hell...

And before the DS and Wii Nitendo was considered "doomed"...

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
In 15 years the PS3 will be more dead than Mama Cass, and while I'm quite certain BD is going to be the format of choice, even DVD hasn't been around 15 years.

kind off, BD won because of PS3... So yeah, it is due to PS3.
And PS3 would have done a lot better without BD initially... So it was an trade off for Sony that has worked for BD but worked against PS3 in its first full year...

bycha

Segata Sanshiro said:
wait. bycha, you honestly think the PS3 will be generating income for 10-15 years?

Are you fucking nuts?

Maybe not.

1. Movies. DVD format started in 1997. And 11 years later it's very strong. I.е. people who bought DVD-player back then still buying dvds and will continue to buy them (even if they bought better dvds like several times, price does not matter for this consumers).

Blu-ray movies will surely give profit. I can see a consumer who bought ps3 in 2006 buying blu-ray for it in 2016-2020. It still will be one of the best players around thx to new firmware.

2. Games.
I truly believe this gen will be 10 years. So no ps4 till 2015 and games still will appear for ps3 in 2020.

I really don't see how somebody will be able to market new game console in 2011. In previous gens better graphics was obvious. This gen games already pushing beyond 720p.
Even if you have proper hardware and proper setup if you sit comfortably at like 4 meters from the screen almost all people won't even be able to see all that resolution and details.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

So I don't see no way for somebody (other than Nintendo maybe) to market and sell a next-gen console in like 2011. I expect a long-long run. Look at ps2 btw. How many ppl in the world still buy this for 129 and will continue to buy it for 99. With blu-ray and hdd etc it will take maybe 10 years for ps3 to reach that price.

Next-gen will appear when technology will demand it. I don't know what this technology might be.

Neo C.

bycha said:
I truly believe this gen will be 10 years. So no ps4 till 2015 and games still will appear for ps3 in 2020.

I really don't see how somebody will be able to market new game console in 2011. In previous gens better graphics was obvious. This gen games already pushing beyond 720p.
[...]
http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

So I don't see no way for somebody (other than Nintendo maybe) to market and sell a next-gen console in like 2011. I expect a long-long run. Look at ps2 btw. How many ppl in the world still buy this for 129 and will continue to buy it for 99. With blu-ray and hdd etc it will take maybe 10 years for ps3 to reach that price.
Next-gen will appear when technology will demand it. I don't know what this technology might be.
How about this scenario:
Microsoft release XBox 1080 in the end of 2011, with a modest upgrade of three to four times the performance of 360. This means signifikant better performance than the PS3. If they include 2GB RAM (not that much for 2011), 1080p shouldn't be a problem. And the console would still only cost 300$ or less.

Graphic doesn't matter? Well, I think so. Still developers could port any PS3 game easily.
Though the real advantage is the overall package: Microsoft could add an improved gamepad or several different controllers (wiimote-likes included?) to define a new standard.

Whenever you bring a new console on the market, you can define your product in a new way. I don't think Microsoft and Sony would let Nintendo reign more than 5 years, 6 years max.

jedimike

SeeeeK said:
Jesus Christ, if I'm reading that right Microsoft are down 6 billion dollars?! That's insane.

Your reading it wrong. Microsoft does not have a dedicated Xbox division. The OP is reporting numbers from the Entertainment and Devices division. The numbers include many hardware and software items including Zune, so it is difficult to extract any real gaming numbers.

Microsoft as a whole is not down at all. In Oct-Dec they made $6.5B.

sakuragi

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

People are predicting that digital distribution will take off after a few years and if that happens during the blu-ray cycle, it will then be the last physical format for movies, games and storage (blu-ray rewritable). As we all know, even if DD is the preferred medium of choice for obtaining movies and games, there will always be the physical format to co-exist with it so people have the option to chose between the two. Just like with Itunes and the CD ect...

So unless a new physical format overthrows blu-ray and take over its throne, blu-ray is here to stay for a long long time.

jarrod

Banned
sakuragi said:
People are predicting that digital distribution will take off after a few years and if that happens during the blu-ray cycle, it will then be the last physical format for movies, games and storage (blu-ray rewritable). As we all know, even if DD is the preferred medium of choice for obtaining movies and games, there will always be the physical format to co-exist with it so people have the option to chose between the two. Just like with Itunes and the CD ect...

So unless a new physical format overthrows blu-ray and take over its throne, blu-ray is here to stay for a long long time.
Flash. Who needs optical?

jarrod

Banned
sakuragi said:
As long as optical holds tons of data and is way cheaper to mass produce than flash.
Doesn't mean it'll remain dominant though... optical media's appeal is more for savings from a distribution end for publishers at retail. If that model falters, so will optical eventually... figure it's too bulky, fragile, slow and a flash card reader becomes more appealing suddely to hardware makers (especially if they manufacture the cards too).

I mean hypothetically, if retail stopped carrying PSP games and it all went dd, do you think people would rather burn blank UMDs or save games to memorysticks? Hell, there's people already screaming for Sony to drop the UMD drive entirely... why would Blu-ray be much different if the retail model changed?

sakuragi

Banned
jarrod said:
Doesn't mean it'll remain dominant though... optical media's appeal is more for savings from a distribution end for publishers at retail. If that model falters, so will optical eventually... figure it's too bulky, fragile, slow and a flash card reader becomes more appealing suddely to hardware makers (especially if they manufacture the cards too).

I mean hypothetically, if retail stopped carrying PSP games and it all went dd, do you think people would rather burn blank UMDs or save games to memorysticks? Hell, there's people already screaming for Sony to drop the UMD drive entirely... why would Blu-ray be much different if the retail model changed?

Look, retails are still selling cds and that haven't changes since the itunes/ipod phenomena because people like to stick to conventions. And again, distributers like things cheap and CDs are the most viable physical format currently, even though they could replace music CD distribution with flash since music is very small and could fit 1 gig flash nicely. But they didn't because Cds are still cheaper than flash, hence more profit. Now apply this logic to blu-ray but instead of tiny music files, we are dealing with HD movies and next gen video games where you need very large space to hold those data. As time goes by, we will even require more and more once higher resolutions than 1080p are introduced into the markets and the same thing with games. Blu-ray could easily hold up to 500 gig to 1 terabite if necessary. All they need is to add more layers to the blu-ray and it wont significantly elevate the cost. However, the same cannot be said about flash. The price is to high to justify the extra transfer speed.

sakuragi said:
Blu-ray could easily hold up to 500 gig to 1 terabite if necessary. All they need is to add more layers to the blu-ray and it wont significantly elevate the cost.
You are massively oversimplifying that... and even if they could squeeze enough layers in for 500gb (let alone 1tb) you'd be looking at a large increase in the complexity of the actual reading mechanisms which would push costs up significant amounts (ignoring the fact that the discs wouldn't work in older BR drives).

But I do agree with your point in general, it's just more likely to be a completely different format to BR such as HVD or whatever else is coming.

jarrod

Banned
sakuragi said:
Look, retails are still selling cds and that haven't changes since the itunes/ipod phenomena because people like to stick to conventions.
Sure, but CD-ROM was huge... it was industry wide for decades and there's billions of devices that use it. A better comparison for an archival only Blu-ray future would be something like Minidisc... and how widespread is that today? Oh wait, flash killed it. ;)

Flash doesn't offer advantages in just speed either, it also has the edge in durability, rewritablity, footprint, energy consumption... and it also gives savings on the read end in terms of costs and (especially) footprint. Imagine how tiny a Wii could be if it didn't need an optical drive?

Optical formats were a huge leap forward, but it's not 1990 anymore and their capacity and even cost advantages have been severly eroded. And continue to be as technology progresses, hell solid state is going to kill HDDs too eventually.

jedimike said:
Your reading it wrong. Microsoft does not have a dedicated Xbox division. The OP is reporting numbers from the Entertainment and Devices division. The numbers include many hardware and software items including Zune, so it is difficult to extract any real gaming numbers.

Microsoft as a whole is not down at all. In Oct-Dec they made $6.5B.

He's not reading it wrong. It's very clear.

It isn't purely Xbox, true, but the rest of what makes up the division is as likely to be masking a larger loss as it is to be adding to it. Probably more likely. I'm sure anyone overseeing a project losing billions would like to be able to say "it's not just me, there are other things in my division!". :D

jarrod said:
Sure, but CD-ROM was huge... it was industry wide for decades and there's billions of devices that use it. A better comparison for an archival only Blu-ray future would be something like Minidisc... and how widespread is that today? Oh wait, flash killed it. ;)

Flash doesn't offer advantages in just speed either, it also has the edge in durability, rewritablity, footprint, energy consumption... and it also gives savings on the read end in terms of costs and (especially) footprint. Imagine how tiny a Wii could be if it didn't need an optical drive?

Optical formats were a huge leap forward, but it's not 1990 anymore and their capacity and even cost advantages have been severly eroded. And continue to be as technology progresses, hell solid state is going to kill HDDs too eventually.
A 1GB flash drive in the Xbox 1080 would finally kill all that "buray in M$ next consolz!" talk.....if only they could get those prices down.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Leondexter said:
He's not reading it wrong. It's very clear.

It isn't purely Xbox, true, but the rest of what makes up the division is as likely to be masking a larger loss as it is to be adding to it. Probably more likely. I'm sure anyone overseeing a project losing billions would like to be able to say "it's not just me, there are other things in my division!". :D
I was going to say the same thing. This has been known for a while now. And no one should praise any sort of profits that MS recieve through their Xbox division because a lot of that potential profit aside from Halo 3 came from them saving money by cutting corners in components and manufacturing which gave us the unreliable hardware we love and cherish today. That insider article from an MS employee made me want to vomit.

Top Bottom