• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: No Man’s Sky “treated like a first-party release”

dugdug

Banned
Honestly, the only take-away from this statement is "don't read too much into it."

He's a marketing guy toeing the company line.

If Sony didn't have NMS, then he would simply substitute NMS with Battlefront. If they had Uncharted, he would've replaced it with Uncharted.

Fergal gonna Fergal.

Well, what I mean is, Destiny still came out on Xbox One despite being treated like a first-party release.

Which is why Fergal's 'quotes' like this, are honestly, not really note-worthy. We know that he toes the company line, and that 'treated like a first-party' is replaceable with any marketing partner game, depending on their line-up that season.

If Sony didn't have No Man's Sky, Fergal would've just said Battlefront instead.

PSOreo

I was pretty hyped for this game but recently I honestly forgot about it completely until now. Seems like after every event it fades into obscurity, with little to no news. Hopefully we'll get some definitive information at E3.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm looking forward to checking the game out. Setting that aside,

Indie dev's continuing to fill that "AA" hole that now defunct mid-tier publishers used to fill. i approve.

Yep. We need that mid-tier back. Game looks worth checking out.

Hoodbury

I thought the whole reason of going Indie was to not have the stress of a big publisher breathing down your neck? I'm sure the support helps, but I hope it doesn't push the product sooner than when Sean and team were planning just so it works for Sony's plans.

so was Destiny

And it worked out pretty damn well for them. Honestly, Sony delivers exclusives throughout the entire year and that's a much more preferable strategy in my eyes. They still get the big holiday sales and we don't have to wait around 9 months to get another worthwhile exclusive

Why so glum? This game is the definition of gamechanger if its well executed. Sony is smart touting this game.

Because we already saw a big amount of the game, it has been revealed back in 2013, 1 year and a half ago. I'm more interested in new stuff at those type of conference.

They did that for Destiny and it sold more on xbox, I mean... what a shot in the foot.

Is this true? All forums and Destiny threads seem to have way more Ps4 players than XBoxOne players. Just from my community experience I thought that it sold close to double on Ps4 compared to XB1. I would be really surprised if it sold more on XB1.

The GAF OT for Destiny feels like 80% Ps4, 20% XB1 tbh.

I wonder if MS should use this tactic for the nine first months of the year then.
Funny how all the people who moan about Sony not having games at the end of the year never mention this fact.

Sony spreads their games out, not hold them all for the last 3 months to try and combat their lack of sales because they don't have to worry about that.

Funny how all the people who moan about Sony not having games at the end of the year never mention this fact.

Sony spreads their games out, not hold them all for the last 3 months to try and combat their lack of sales because they don't have to worry about that.
PlayStation fans aren't available to make that comment because they're too busy playing Bloodborne.

Azzurri

That's probably because they have nothing else to put their full support behind.

169937-youre-very-good-you-you-unders-ozlN.gif

They did that for Destiny and it sold more on xbox, I mean... what a shot in the foot.

I thought that this has been thoroughly rebuked numerous times already.

But yeah, really excited for NMS. Dread seeing any thread on it on GAF though. I used to think that I was a cynical and heartless bastard when it comes to games, but seeing all these replies in these threads makes me somehow feel the opposite.

Is this true? All forums and Destiny threads seem to have way more Ps4 players than XBoxOne players. Just from my community experience I thought that it sold close to double on Ps4 compared to XB1. I would be really surprised if it sold more on XB1.

Retail disk copies on xboxone did outsell PS4. However with digital sales and bundles its pretty clear that Sony sold more copies.

Look at the graph that Bungie shared a few days ago about brining servers back online and player base, its clearly broken down by platform and the "lead" platform has a HUGE margin.

ChryZ

Whatever, Sony. I don't really think Hello Games needs that much help at this point, the game will be a big hit regardless.

autoduelist

I really hope this whole build up and hype for NMS comes to fruition

It has the potential to be something like minecraft -- an infinite playground.

It also has the potential to lose itself if it fails to have engaging gameplay mechanics.

Sony wants the first option, obviously, and so it's in their best interest to get behind the project since it's obviously got massive ambition.

Whatever, Sony. I don't really think Hello Games needs that much help at this point, the game will be a big hit regardless.

Sony has been helping for quite awhile...

Apparently retail copies yes. But bundled and digital? Not a chance

Top Bottom