• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: No Man’s Sky “treated like a first-party release”

BigDug13

Why are people gung-ho about Sony buying this 10 person studio? Let these guys do things their way and find success across all platforms. Locking away their ability to reach more gamers would be bad for them.

Besides, I'm curious about what thousands of PC gamers can mod in to such a vast tapestry of possibilities.

Qassim

Hello Games probably doesn't want to sell their studio.

It'd possibly be a silly move to sell before the game has been released. They should wait until it has been released and see the impact before making any such decisions, they could be the next Mojang for all we know (I'm not suggesting they will or won't be, but just pointing out it isn't wise to make a decision before the release of the game).

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It'd possibly be a silly move to sell before the game has been released. They should wait until it has been released and see the impact before making any such decisions, they could be the next Mojang for all we know (I'm not suggesting they will or won't be, but just pointing out it isn't wise to make a decision before the release of the game).

Exactly.

Winner winner chicken dinner.
Except that they do have other deals in place and games to put their efforts behind.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Are you expecting surprises from MS?

did you see me mention microsoft anywhere in my text, I am talking about sony, stop trying to twist my words and act as if I am trolling. I stated I feel we will see things we have already seen or know of, hence the lack of surprises

I'll give you the Order, which bombed, and probably has Sony a bit less than pleased and ready to keep playing it safe. Bloodbourne, please, it may as well be Dark Souls, and everyone knows it lol. It was made for that audience, and I'm glad it did well for them.

It doesn't change the fact that Bloodborne is a new IP. Why didn't they just call it Demon's Souls 2 if they wanted to really ride on the Souls hype? They own the IP afterall.

The thread that you linked ot actually explains why Sony is taking their time with their first party games, and it's not because they don't have money

"My sense is that the new platforms have opened up the ambitions of developers and the capabilities of what they can achieve," he explained. "What has then happened since has been a bit of rushing to market and a couple of not perfect launches. That’s perhaps driven some conservatism to not overly force this and make sure we get it right - there's been an adjustment of pace.

So if anything what third party games have done for them is give them some breathing room so they can polish the games as much as needed rather than just pushing them out in an incomplete state. They probably could launch Ratchet and Uncharted 4 this year, but would be a rather terrible idea because they would be released in a rough state.

10 Years ago, Sony was a much different company, things weren't as dire in many of their divisions as they are now or were a few yrs ago. Also taking a huge loss on the PS3 is in many ways got them in the situation they've been so feverously tring to get out of.

They released The Last of Us during the end of a console's life. Just how much trust do you want them to show in a new IP?

If they had zero games to show at the back end of this year would you be banging on about Sony not trusting *any* IP new or old?

You're reading way, way too much into this. I mean you could have gone with a lack of mid-tear games and instead opting for indies but you decided to overreach and suggest they're averse to new IP risk.

I'll give you the Order

So you're admitting you're wrong. Good to see.

There's also the new Media Molecule IP and the F2P arena game. I look forward to your excuses of why they don't count as new IP too.

xxracerxx

did you see me mention microsoft anywhere in my text, I am talking about sony, stop trying to twist my words and act as if I am trolling. I stated I feel we will see things we have already seen or know of, hence the lack of surprises

I am genuinely curious if you are expecting surprises from MS. No need to take offense.

Plus, there are plenty of Sony WWS projects that we haven't seen yet.

Falchion

I would be excited if it got a physical release, plus it'll be nice if it receives a large amount of publicity and TV advertising from Sony as it gets closer to launch.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I am genuinely curious if you are expecting surprises from MS. No need to take offense.

Plus, there are plenty of Sony WWS projects that we haven't seen yet.

The things about Microsfots conference last year was they showed alot of cgi so its time they show gameplay on some things. I expect maybe a few surprises, RARE has some games in development i believe, maybe a gears of war reveal. Scalebound gameplay and such maybe 1 or two surprises I expect maybe a few more surprises from Microsoft possibly because sony has more third party content on lock down so I expect Microsoft to even it out somehow with things we havent seen or have briefly heard of.

nampad

Yeah it seems like they were under an NDA from Microsoft that didn't let them talk about the ps3 version. The link explains the whole situation very well.

Well, easy to say for them after the backlash they got from their original fans.

Actions speak louder than words though. They happily signed for timed Xbox exclusivity. Somehow they managed to late port JD1 too but for JD2, they needed to go Xbox exclusive first?
And what about the Xbox fans who in return got a worse version because Hello Games then turned their backs on them and tried to appease the Playstation folks with exclusive content?

Ok, they are indie so they go where the money is but their badmouthing of XBL Arcade and sweet talking of the pubfund followed by their Xbox exclusive deal makes them sound ingenuine.

They handled the whole situation so poorly, I am happy this game probably gets a retail release so I can buy it used.

On Demand

Banned
Please no, I don't want to buy a PS4.

Pro tip: Sony doesn't have a lot of money right now anyways.

You know nothing of what Sony can or can't spend money on. The "Sony is broke" talk is as dumb as the "no games." The rest of your post in this thread are tales from ass.

EDIT-

I see you won't be making anymore.

Shin-Ra

HryM1u.gif

xxracerxx

The things about Microsfots conference last year was they showed alot of cgi so its time they show gameplay on some things. I expect maybe a few surprises, RARE has some games in development i believe, maybe a gears of war reveal. Scalebound gameplay and such maybe 1 or two surprises I expect maybe a few more surprises from Microsoft possibly because sony has more third party content on lock down so I expect Microsoft to even it out somehow with things we havent seen or have briefly heard of.

And that's my point, if you think MS has some surprises in store, then Sony should as well. There are a lot of Sony first party studios out there that have not announced or at least shown their projects. I expect some of those to pop up at E3 on stage.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It was quite obvious since the PC version was set to priority none. But all that story about the poor developer that can't work on multiple versions .... well, at least I hope they didn't sell it cheap.

Why are people gung-ho about Sony buying this 10 person studio? Let these guys do things their way and find success across all platforms. Locking away their ability to reach more gamers would be bad for them.

Besides, I'm curious about what thousands of PC gamers can mod in to such a vast tapestry of possibilities.

It's viable to go first party though. You can get tons of publicity and support that you otherwise wouldn't have. Seems to have done wonders for Media Molecule. Of the 3 big console makers, Sony seems like they leave devs alone the most.

They'd do well to. For the majority and as otherwise unannounced, it's an exclusive. It could be a big game that does great things and Sony sees lots of potential in it and hopefully to give it a big push by treating it highly as a first party game.

Top Bottom