• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: No Man’s Sky “treated like a first-party release”

So you think that Sony has enough money to fund Street Fighter 5 but not enough to buy an unproven IP?

They helped co fund. There's a risk to an unproven IP so buying the dev, IP, funding the game, and promoting is a greater expense then Sony can probably spare. If it wasn't we'd see a lot more first party Sony titles....where are they...oh yeah there aren't any. Neat.

That's not at all true.

Says you, vs everyone else in the tech industry. Playstation makes money so that's nice, camera sensors is profitable (thanks apple!) TV's no one's making money in that sector, PC is gone, mobile lol, sony pictures...yeah it exists, but at least their insurance business is doing well.

one source http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8063269/sony-electronics-future-selling-off-pc-smartphone-tv

They helped co fund. There's a risk to an unproven IP so buying the dev, IP, funding the game, and promoting is a greater expense then Sony can probably spare. If it wasn't we'd see a lot more first party Sony titles....where are they...oh yeah there aren't any. Neat.]

Polyphony Digital, Sony Bend, Sony Santa Monica, Sony Japan, Media Molecule, Guerrilla's multiple studios etc. are all busy doing nothing? Just because they haven't shown the games to you doesn't mean that they aren't making them.

pager99

They helped co fund. There's a risk to an unproven IP so buying the dev, IP, funding the game, and promoting is a greater expense then Sony can probably spare. If it wasn't we'd see a lot more first party Sony titles....where are they...oh yeah there aren't any. Neat.

Says you, vs everyone else in the tech industry. Playstation makes money so that's nice, camera sensors is profitable (thanks apple!) TV's no one's making money in that sector, PC is gone, mobile lol, sony pictures...yeah it exists, but at least their insurance business is doing well.

one source http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/8063269/sony-electronics-future-selling-off-pc-smartphone-tv
Sony's broke guys let's call it a day but seriously why are we now dragging out financials and the ps4 has no gamez meme we all know the ps4 will get amazing support just like ps3

FDC1

I know we keep pretending neogaf isn't more playstation centric...but seriously that is meaningless when talking about the full destiny community. The point is we don't know which platform sold more and so we shouldn't maintain playstation did in lieu of evidence

We know which platform sold mode for god's sake. Even in the case where Destiny sold slighty more on X1 in US, PS4 is dominating with a 3:1+ ratio in the rest of the world. How in the hell do we need more évidences to say which version sold better?

Chobel

We know which platform sold mode for god sake. Even in the case where Destiny sold slighty more on X1 in US, PS4 is dominating with a 3:1+ ratio in the rest of the world. How in the hell do we need more évidences to say which version sold better?

Obviously it stopped selling in RoTW, it's only selling in US now.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I know we keep pretending neogaf isn't more playstation centric...but seriously that is meaningless when talking about the full destiny community. The point is we don't know which platform sold more and so we shouldn't maintain playstation did in lieu of evidence

Yeah....no.

Patapwn

Well for example MS is going to treat Tomb Raider like a first party release even though its not and will likely release on ps4 sooner rather than later.

MS and Sony spend bank on a title every once in a while. It should come as no surprise that they'll push this title.

Polyphony Digital, Sony Bend, Sony Santa Monica, Sony Japan, Media Molecule, Guerrilla's multiple studios etc. are all busy doing nothing? Just because they haven't shown the games to you doesn't mean that they aren't making them.

Oh you missed this thread? Posted for posterity
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1046038

I'm not saying they're flat out broke, I'm simply stating they will not throw money at a new IP, it's a gamble. They don't have cash to spare to take anymore risks. Promoting a game, or getting promo deals for Destiny and Battlefront are the safe bets, it worked great with Destiny and moved a lot of PS4's. Partnering with Capcom for SF5, another safe bet.

Scoops

Banned
I know Sony is "winning" but unfortunately I can't play sales charts or fiscal reports.

I think these threads keep creeping up because the ratio of what Sony is selling versus the amount of good content people are getting isn't there compared to past gens.

xxracerxx

I know Sony is "winning" but unfortunately I can't play sales charts or fiscal reports.

I think these threads keep creeping up because the ratio of what Sony is selling versus the amount of good content people are getting isn't there compared to past gens.

There is a shit ton of good content to play RIGHT NOW (and in one week time) though.

Well lucky for your there are plenty of games to be played on PS4.

BigDug13

I'm not saying they're flat out broke, I'm simply stating they will not throw money at a new IP, it's a gamble. They don't have cash to spare to take anymore risks. Promoting a game, or getting promo deals for Destiny and Battlefront are the safe bets, it worked great with Destiny and moved a lot of PS4's. Partnering with Capcom for SF5, another safe bet.

To be fair, hardly any platform holders are taking risks with new IP from their in house studios. Ryse, Titanfall, and Sunset Overdrive were external studios. Nearly every Nintendo game contains their usual mascots from their internal studios. When Sony did take risks this gen: The Order was a disappointment, Knack was a flop.

Please define "throw money at".

cakely

And you can't play anything else on the PS4 because the PS4 has no gamez, amiright?

Also, you can lose the quotation marks around "winning". It's not subtle.

You say this but you're are talking about Sony as a whole (even then that's not completely true), but as far as gaming goes Sony will spend as much as they did before, even more since Playstation is now one of their key division.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/02/18/sony-reiterates-financial-importance-of-playstation-in-new-three-year-plan.aspx

To be fair, hardly any platform holders are taking risks with new IP from their in house studios. Ryse, Titanfall, and Sunset Overdrive were external studios. Nearly every Nintendo game contains their usual mascots from their internal studios. When Sony did take risks this gen: The Order was a disappointment, Knack was a flop.

Which furthers my position that Sony will probably continue to play it safe going forward, ie not buying NMS or the dev team. And at this point the game has so much buzz and hype, the cash it'd take to buy them up probably doesn't even come close to the risk of launching a new IP for Sony atm.

Sony is playing it very safe this gen, rightfully so, they bursted there load with a $600 system last gen and played catch up. And whatever they're doing now seems to be working, so just keep it going is probably what Sony is hoping for with the minimum further investment required for profit margin purposes. Business.

androvsky

The main problem is Sony can't buy something that isn't for sale. Hello Games has always been careful to own their IPs, even when it meant making life more difficult for themselves when dealing with self-publishing on the Xbox 360. Part of why Sony's Pub Fund is so popular is that indie studios get to keep their IPs. Indie studios don't want to put all that work into a game just to sell it off at the end to a publisher; it kinda goes against the point of being indie in the first place.

You say this but you're are talking about Sony as a whole (even then that's not completely true), but as far as gaming goes Sony will spend as much as they did before, even more since Playstation is now one of their key division.

I'm not saying they won't spend money and resources on the division, Playstation Now (how's that thing doing, haven't heard much about it, probably for good reason). Sony is in no financial position to go throwing money around, they're doing exceptianlly well being the third party must own console. I feel they're perfectly fine riding that out, and they probably will if the lack of any first party titles this holiday season is any indication.

They just released Bloodborne and The Order this year, both of which are new IP's. Guerrilla, Bend and Media Molecule are all known to be working on new IP's. They have games from Quantic Dream that they're funding that are also new IP's. And probably others that we're just unaware of right now.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I for one am worried about sonys E3 this year, I feel like we are going to see things we already know of and have seen already, that with indies and sony third party deals, I feel there will be a lack of surprises

The main problem is Sony can't buy something that isn't for sale. Hello Games has always been careful to own their IPs, even when it meant making life more difficult for themselves when dealing with self-publishing on the Xbox 360. Part of why Sony's Pub Fund is so popular is that indie studios get to keep their IPs. Indie studios don't want to put all that work into a game just to sell it off at the end to a publisher; it kinda goes against the point of being indie in the first place.

Sure. Buying the exclusivity, there. Neither will happen is all I'm saying regarding NMS.

Kayant

Well that's one way to get around saying PS4 has no "Gamez"

So sure u can explain how the PS3 was supported when they were also losing money. Its not like games don't take years to make or something...

That's probably because they have nothing else to put their full support behind.

gnypkj.gif

Qassim

Only announced for PS4. PC was mentioned once in an interview a long time ago were Murray mentioned being interested in bringing it to PC eventually but never said it was actually on the cards.

In EDGE's cover of NMS, they said it will come to PC based off their interview with Murray and despite the many articles that were based off that Edge cover, Hello Games never said what was in that cover story was incorrect, and it has been a year. It's safe to assume what EDGE said is correct at this point.

"No Man's Sky is coming to PC, but it will launch as a timed exclusive for PS4."

"I actually got in a bit of trouble for saying that we wanted the game to feel really console-y, we've always had PC in mind but in my head [console-y] means solid framerate and immediate controls. I think a PC game can be 'console-y' and it's intended as a compliment, but I get in trouble for saying it."

xxracerxx

I for one am worried about sonys E3 this year, I feel like we are going to see things we already know of and have seen already, that with indies and sony third party deals, I feel there will be a lack of surprises

Are you expecting surprises from MS?

They just released Bloodborne and The Order this year, both of which are new IP's. Guerrilla, Bend and Media Molecule are all known to be working on new IP's. They have games from Quantic Dream that they're funding that are also new IP's. And probably others that we're just unaware of right now.

I'll give you the Order, which bombed, and probably has Sony a bit less than pleased and ready to keep playing it safe. Bloodbourne, please, it may as well be Dark Souls, and everyone knows it lol. It was made for that audience, and I'm glad it did well for them.

Three

I agree, but only because we all already know TLG is going to be there.

I'm not saying they won't spend money and resources on the division, Playstation Now (how's that thing doing, haven't heard much about it, probably for good reason). Sony is in no financial position to go throwing money around, they're doing exceptianlly well being the third party must own console. I feel they're perfectly fine riding that out, and they probably will if the lack of any first party titles this holiday season is any indication.

Why are you just focusing on the holiday season though? Bloodborne, The Order, Until Dawn exist you know?

Well that's one way to get around saying PS4 has no "Gamez"

So sure u can explain how the PS3 was supported when they were also losing money. Its not like games don't take years to make or something...

10 Years ago, Sony was a much different company, things weren't as dire in many of their divisions as they are now or were a few yrs ago. Also taking a huge loss on the PS3 is in many ways what got them in the situation they've been so feverously fighting to get out of.

Top Bottom