• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony opens internal investigation on PS5 Pro spec leaks - came from third party roll out

ManaByte

Sony right now:
Shemar Moore Swat GIF by CBS

It's just that sharing information under NDA and going to the first Wi-Fi port you find to share it is ugly, Nintendo's ninjas are much more effective.

cireza

Oh wow, specs have leaked for a new system that will embed whatever is the only available option at the current time for a target price of 500$, what are we going to do ?! It is not as if we could be surprised in any way...

The only true unknown is what part of the hardware Sony will turn into the next ridiculous marketing stunt. RAM ? SSD ? Or maybe Ray-Tracing ? We can't wait to find out...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
These game companies know how this shit works by now.

Don't want leaks, be more transparent
the funny thing is that the first wired article was commissioned because cerny knew that the new devkits being sent out would leak the specs so he wanted to get ahead of the leaks.

Shouldve done the same with the pro. Control the narrative.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Leaking NDA slides is kinda foul but it happens in the pc space a lot too. I have so many intel NDA/AMD slides and receive them on the regular so when I see them on sites at a later date I'm just like...yup that's 100% real.

This just confirms all the specs that have leaked.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't Sony expect them to leak over a year ago when they was in 3rd party hands and was released for the holidays..
This is just more bullshit to add believability to the bullshit.

Mr.Phoenix

I will never understand this stuff. At the point Sony finalized the design and started sending these out to third parties, they should have done a media tech briefing talking about the PS5pro and saying it would come next year or whatever.

I don't buy into the idea that announcing it would cannibalize sales of the standard PS5.

Get ahead of it, announce it yourself, and control the narrative. You can say and make it out to be anything you want. But with how they chose to do stuff, when they end up talking about it it just comes off as them trying to put out fires. The same shit happened with the PS5 reveal.

Mr Moose

“We simply could not run the risk of a company that was owned by our direct competitor having access to that information,” Ryan said. “That information could leak into other parts of Microsoft and potentially allow them to be able to develop similar features to the ones that we would argue that we invented.”

Ryan claimed Sony could not rely on a contract to make Activision keep PlayStation features secret from Microsoft.
Phillllllll *shakes fist*

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I will never understand this stuff. At the point Sony finalized the design and started sending these out to third parties, they should have done a media tech briefing talking about the PS5pro and saying it would come next year or whatever.

I don't buy into the idea that announcing it would cannibalize sales of the standard PS5.

Get ahead of it, announce it yourself, and control the narrative. You can say and make it out to be anything you want. But with how they chose to do stuff, when they end up talking about it it just comes off as them trying to put out fires. The same shit happened with the PS5 reveal.
Yeah. Everybody knows Apple releases iPhones every year in the same time frame, no one cares. Wort case, people wait a couple of months to buy the more expensive sku.
There just cant be that many people buying the PS5 and then couple of weeks later a pro version again because it happened to shadow drop by then, to make this secrecy thing viable.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

thats what they did with the PS5 reveal even if they didnt reveal the specs until the cerny road to show conference. The wired article was revealed in april 2019 a full year and a half before the launch, and it talked about the ssd and ray tracing support on the new PS5. They couldve done a similar thing for the Pro but i think the marketing suits saw the negative reaction to the Road to PS5 conference and decided to do it differently this time around.

I do agree that once the specs are finalized, just do it. Either in a press release or an interview if you want to contextualize the specs. To me, their marketing has been abysmal the last few years and they seem to be absolutely clueless about how to market their games and hardware.

Boss Mog

It would be nice if Sony just released this info on their own, but I guess they wanna wait til the last moment to officially announce the PS5 Pro as to not cannibalize PS5 sales this year.

nial

Gold Member

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets officially confirmed at a May Showcase; SIE confirmed the PS4 Pro around the same time, but we would still have to wait until fall to get an actual reveal (think of PS5 announcement in October 2019 and reveal in June 2020).

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Sony does this quite often now that I think about it. PS4 was announced in a Feburary 2013 event, but the console itself wasn't revealed until June of the same year

Mr.Phoenix

thats what they did with the PS5 reveal even if they didnt reveal the specs until the cerny road to show conference. The wired article was revealed in april 2019 a full year and a half before the launch, and it talked about the ssd and ray tracing support on the new PS5. They couldve done a similar thing for the Pro but i think the marketing suits saw the negative reaction to the Road to PS5 conference and decided to do it differently this time around.

I do agree that once the specs are finalized, just do it. Either in a press release or an interview if you want to contextualize the specs. To me, their marketing has been abysmal the last few years and they seem to be absolutely clueless about how to market their games and hardware.
Exactly... as it stands Sony is just lucky that the PS5 has been selling purely on merit and credit in the bank alone. It sure as hell is not due to marketing or messaging.

Yeah. Everybody knows Apple releases iPhones every year in the same time frame, no one cares. Wort case, people wait a couple of months to buy the more expensive sku.
There just cant be that many people buying the PS5 and then couple of weeks later a pro version again because it happened to shadow drop by then, to make this secrecy thing viable.
Mind-boggling if you ask me. Some super secretive old-school culture Sony has got going on. If there is one thing they should take from Xbox page, its that they should talk more. Xbox series consoles are practically dead in the water right now, and MS is there generating hype by announcing that they would announce new future hardware by the end of the year. Sony has a whole new version of the PS5 in circulation amongst devs, and in this super-connected world we live in today they are somehow expecting there to be no leaks.

Top Bottom