• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony opens internal investigation on PS5 Pro spec leaks - came from third party roll out

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Studios have also power because that's how Sony sell their fucking hardware. Remember how they cried like little bitches when Microsoft bought Activision and how much fuzz they've made about CoD still being available to Playstation? Microsoft attacked their core business here, which is being the console where all the third-parties gather, always has been. From day one of the PS1 days.

Third-parties may need Playstation, yes. But Sony sure as hell need them as well.

That's because their fucking competitor acquired the largest publisher in the world. Not like developers didn't want to develop for PS anymore. Without any platform, their games won't sell....

Mr Moose

Sony won't do jack fucking shit. Third-parties are their core business pillar, they won't piss them off. Without them Playstation would be done. This is just some PR stuff they're doing here.
Do you think it was a whole studio that leaked slides? A studio wouldn't piss off Sony for one person. PR for who? This isn't public info.

JackMcGunns

Oh wow, specs have leaked for a new system that will embed whatever is the only available option at the current time for a target price of 500$, what are we going to do ?! It is not as if we could be surprised in any way...

The only true unknown is what part of the hardware Sony will turn into the next ridiculous marketing stunt. RAM ? SSD ? Or maybe Ray-Tracing ? We can't wait to find out...

It's just better if the competition doesn't have a roadmap early enough to react and respond. Scorpio was better than PS4 Pro in every way, but they had time, but now they don't even have to wait, they can respond right away with a more powerful console since they know how far to aim without hurting profits as much as going all in blind.

MarkMe2525

Nextbox is supposed to have a decent power advantage over the PS5 Pro but haven't seen anything on PS6

Its likely Nextbox IF specced what has been looked at would be $800+

IF its still on course we will know everything about it right before the PS5 Pro launches to try and make people weigh which they would rather have imo

Going to be curious how things play out
When Xbox's plans for a dual sku originally started floating around, one of my predictions (which was wrong) was a $399-$499 standard console and a moonshot console priced at or over $799. With many gamers conditioned to spend as much on just a gpu, I think they can carve out a decent market with an "overkill" game console. That is of course, if they can release with software to take advantage.

One thing is for sure, to continue down the road of releasing a similarly powered console, to the PS, isn't going to move the needle for them. If they are indeed beginning to shift focus to multiplatform, they would be able to leverage "the best place to play x" moniker. I'm not insinuating they would gain marketshare, but MS may be able to convert their playerbase to one that spends more per unit. This of course, is just my unfounded (and probably wrong again) speculation.

Last edited:
the funny thing is that the first wired article was commissioned because cerny knew that the new devkits being sent out would leak the specs so he wanted to get ahead of the leaks.

Shouldve done the same with the pro. Control the narrative.

Yeh although I think the reception has been very positive. Some are taking that 33 tflop number and going wild with it (but this will lead to disappointment in the long run. Unless the PSSR is incredible and makes up for it).

cireza

It's just better if the competition doesn't have a roadmap early enough to react and respond. Scorpio was better than PS4 Pro in every way, but they had time, but now they don't even have to wait, they can respond right away with a more powerful console since they know how far to aim without hurting profits as much as going all in blind.
Something tells me it isn't as simple as this. Do you think MS simply have to throw in an additional CPU and call it a day ? Competitors has been planning for several years in advance as well and are unlikely to change architecture just because specs have leaked.

Mr Moose

Something tells me it isn't as simple as this. Do you think MS simply have to throw in an additional CPU and call it a day ? Competitors has been planning for several years in advance as well and are unlikely to change architecture just because specs have leaked.
*PS4 with 8GB GDDR5*
MS:
dg0nurt-5c69b963-05b0-4bb7-8082-94060adcd0ff.png

twilo99

Nextbox is supposed to have a decent power advantage over the PS5 Pro but haven't seen anything on PS6

Its likely Nextbox IF specced what has been looked at would be $800+

IF its still on course we will know everything about it right before the PS5 Pro launches to try and make people weigh which they would rather have imo

Going to be curious how things play out

… they looking through red or green glasses ???

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Which gamers are those and why would they not just get a pc?
I have mentioned this before but even an expensive Xbox would have buyers.

I know my son who is in front of a PC screen all day and for sure can afford any PC he wants will never game on one, he is a pure Xbox guy as is his group he plays with

Even if nextbox would be $1000 he would preorder day 1

I have mentioned this before but even an expensive Xbox would have buyers.

I know my son who is in front of a PC screen all day and for sure can afford any PC he wants will never game on one, he is a pure Xbox guy as is his group he plays with

Even if nextbox would be $1000 he would preorder day 1

He’s a very rare case, though.

A next gen Xbox that costs $800+ and will be rendered obsolete by 2028 is a losing proposition

It’ll be a bigger failure than series x/s, by far

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
He’s a very rare case, though.

A next gen Xbox that costs $800+ and will be rendered obsolete by 2028 is a losing proposition

It’ll be a bigger failure than series x/s, by far
Oh I agree but to him it wouldn't be rendered obsolete by a PS6 because its something he isn't interested in

But it seems they will have the possibly dockable handheld for the mass market

None of this I know for a fact though

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
We obviously won’t know until someone actually tests the market, but I think there is a good number of people who would go for a high end box.

No, we can say definitively right now it would be a colossal failure

It sounds stupid from the get go

Why would I pay $800 for a high end Xbox when I can get a higher end PC and play PS games as well?

Unless MS literally turns it into a PC with windows it’s basically DOA. Its DOA regardless though because those that want extremely high end will just get a PC, and the casuals that are price aware won’t touch it

Last edited:
No argument there at all

The more I think about what MS is doing, I genuinely think they are soft-exiting the console market and transferring their existing legacy customers to the PC ecosystem.

They will offer a next gen Xbox, at a high cost, their digital libraries transfer over, but they don’t expect it to have high sales at all.

Are all Xbox 360 games purchase able on the PC store as cross buy? If not, that’s what they will end up doing, just to not leave their legacy customers behind as they transition out of hardware being a bit priority

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The more I think about what MS is doing, I genuinely think they are soft-exiting the console market and transferring their existing legacy customers to the PC ecosystem.

They will offer a next gen Xbox, at a high cost, their digital libraries transfer over, but they don’t expect it to have high sales at all.

Are all Xbox 360 games purchase able on the PC store as cross buy? If not, that’s what they will end up doing, just to not leave their legacy customers behind as they transition out of hardware being a bit priority
All speculation incoming on my part here

I still think they have a handheld coming possibly this holiday and possibly the new devkit just approved in Korea yesterday

Hudo

Do you think it was a whole studio that leaked slides? A studio wouldn't piss off Sony for one person. PR for who? This isn't public info.
But that shit reads like Sony going all NSA on third-party devs with stricter policies and whatnot. And I just don't see it happen. Sure, they will find the individuals who leaked it and might report them to the respective HR departments. But they won't do anything that would make publishers jump through additional hoops. That was my point.

MarkMe2525

Which gamers are those and why would they not just get a pc?
What is the point of the question if you already know the answer? There are already gamers willing to spend that kind of money. If they provide a power profile (or similiar feature set) that gets close a similarly priced gpu, it's a great value proposition at $799. As always with consoles, no worry about selecting ram, cpu, motherboard, or expansion configuration, as is an all in one solution.

Of course, if someone wants to get a PC, they will just get a PC, obviously. MS has shown that they are just as happy with their customers buying their games on the PC platform. I suspect you already know all of this.

twilo99

No, we can say definitively right now it would be a colossal failure

It sounds stupid from the get go

Why would I pay $800 for a high end Xbox when I can get a higher end PC and play PS games as well?

Unless MS literally turns it into a PC with windows it’s basically DOA. Its DOA regardless though because those that want extremely high end will just get a PC, and the casuals that are price aware won’t touch it

It depends on what it can do at that price point... an $800 gaming PC is "extremely" low end in today's market

reinking

Gold Member
It seems like a strong possibility at this point. MS investing back into PC gaming is going to pay off in the end even if it might have helped create their current console situation. I do think they have at least one more console in them even if it evolves to a set top box or hybrid handheld. Series S showed they can get lower spec consoles to perform "good enough."

twilo99

They don’t control the PC ecosystem, they just provide the install base and the platform for Steam, from which they make zero dollars, so if they are transferring Xbox players to PC they are essentially transferring ~90% of them to Steam

They don’t control the PC ecosystem, they just provide the install base and the platform for Steam, from which they make zero dollars, so if they are transferring Xbox players to PC they are essentially transferring ~90% of them to Steam

Maybe so but a legacy 360 consumer would get those games through the Xbox ecosystem.

Top Bottom