• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents Kinect-Like 3D Depth-Sensing Camera for PlayStation Consoles

Yes, exactly. I even remember reading interviews with the designers of Move who admitted that there were some good ideas behind Kinect, but that it was ultimately an "incomplete" solution for gaming, and that you still need to have a physical controller with buttons for certain functions.

That's a great way of describing the relationship between the camera and the motion controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1agrUM4KYs

I think this is a much better solution. Create a wireless armband that allows for people to push buttons though muscle feedback without the need to a physical device.

jaypah

Yes SONY, copy the Kinect and make it better and I'll be there day one.

Hey MS, I heard that SONY is going to 1up the Kinect. You'd better be prepared to nip that shit in the bud. If you do I'll be there day one.

Nintendo....you are Nintendo and since I need the next Mario "whatever" just make some Mario and I'll be there day one.

Even if none of this happened I'd be there day one for all of them because I'm a weak 'tomorrow chaser'.

Cipherr

Can't wait to see the reactions if this happens, And if the WiiU is only marginally more powerful than this gen.

I will stand at the door of the PC gaming clubhouse and slowly close and lock it just before the masses rushing towards the door get close enough to lodge their bodies in the crack and make it inside.

Sorry fellas, we are no longer hiring.

Haunted

Yes SONY, copy the Kinect and make it better and I'll be there day one.

Hey MS, I heard that SONY is going to 1up the Kinect. You'd better be prepared to nip that shit in the bud. If you do I'll be there day one.

Nintendo....you are Nintendo and since I need the next Mario "whatever" just make some Mario and I'll be there day one.

Even if none of this happened I'd be there day one for all of them because I'm a weak 'tomorrow chaser'.
Rf68o.jpg

Afrikan

image.php

God I wish motion gaming would die

Sony's marketing team seem to have the same idea. It doesn't matter what this 'device' does, Sony will make sure it bombs.

although I agree about the Marketing team is horrible....I don't think the Move bombed. I believe they made a profit for each move controller sold...and there is also the camera, nav controller.

Last I heard I think they passed 10mill, for just the move controller.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FWIW, this is a refresh of a patent filed in 2003. Richard Marks has done research with 3D cameras for a lonnng time.

It's simply logical that when the cost/functionality trade-off makes sense, Sony will adopt it for a eyetoy/pseye iteration. I'm not sure this patent suggests anything new though.

Alx

FWIW, this is a refresh of a patent filed in 2003. Richard Marks has done research with 3D cameras for a lonnng time.

I don't remember he ever worked with 3D cams... he made a presentation once about 3Dview when they wanted to make an offer for their products, but it was more a "show and tell" than research. As he said it himself, Sony didn't believe in 3D cams and chose physical motion controllers instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1agrUM4KYs

I think this is a much better solution. Create a wireless armband that allows for people to push buttons though muscle feedback without the need to a physical device.

The tech is interesting, but I think it goes the opposite direction of what most are aiming for. Kinect is part of the "Natural User Interface" line of thought, and part of its success can be explained by its direct access : just wave at the screen or talk to it, and it works, without strapping yourself with sensors. Even if it is less precise, it is more convenient.

This seems like an obvious step and one that will complement move. I'm interested to see what controlling methods MS include (besides kinect and the standard control).

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with so many different control methods all available day 1. I'm not sure how this will affect software sales.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't remember he ever worked with 3D cams... he made a presentation once about 3Dview when they wanted to make an offer for their products, but it was more a "show and tell" than research. As he said it himself, Sony didn't believe in 3D cams and chose physical motion controllers instead.

...after spending some time researching the tech :) He undoubtedly 'worked' with and filed patents relating to 3D cameras around that time. This is just a refresh of this patent.

Anyway, his issues with 3D cameras are that they aren't good enough yet, and don't offer a broad enough application space in games on their own to justify their (current) cost. When they're better (particularly framerate wise, which is a huge hobby-horse for Marks) and more cost-effective, I've no doubt Sony will hop on board. They'll be a commodity thing for this kind of application in due course, the hardware at least.

Alx

Do you have any link about his works in 3D ? I only saw references about regular 2D computer vision, and I don't think Sony ever developed any 3D camera, even time-of-flight.

...after spending some time researching the tech :) He undoubtedly 'worked' with and filed patents relating to 3D cameras around that time. This is just a refresh of this patent.

Anyway, his issues with 3D cameras are that they aren't good enough yet, and don't offer a broad enough application space in games on their own to justify their (current) cost. When they're better (particularly framerate wise, which is a huge hobby-horse for Marks) and more cost-effective, I've no doubt Sony will hop on board. They'll be a commodity thing for this kind of application in due course, the hardware at least.

Don't know, man. Alx underlined "worked" and used ellipses.

Raoh

move + kinect

as it should be, both are limited without each other..

Then of course nintendo will own them both by releasing the minority report gloves

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Do you have any link about his works in 3D ? I only saw references about regular 2D computer vision, and I don't think Sony ever developed any 3D camera, even time-of-flight.

His research was around software applications of the tech and processing of data from such cameras. How long for, I have no idea, but evidence of that work is pretty plentiful in his patent filings (including the one linked in the last post). I don't know what you constitute as working with a technology, but he did enough to generate some patents out of it :)

Dunno what Sony's hardware interest, if any, in depth sensors is though. But if SCE needed the tech they'd get it from somewhere, not necessarily Sony. IIRC neither eyetoy nor pseye's sensors were Sony.

Vinci

Danish
Why is this company seemingly always behind? Innovate in R&D something people - mainstream people - want that won't cost you an arm and leg, and pull the trigger on it FFS.

Dragon

Banned
OMG Sony is such a copier! Next they'll put vibration in their controller!

Why is this company seemingly always behind? Innovate in R&D something people - mainstream people - want that won't cost you an arm and leg, and pull the trigger on it FFS.

I have hope that Kaz will turn the company around, but yeah since the Discman, they've been behind.

that crazy ken. he actually managed to create ps4/4d in his office, that's how he time-travelled and created all these patents after seeing what nintendo and ms were doing!

statham

its first to market, MS had a tablet for years, but apple made it popular, sony/MS had motion control but it was nintendo that made it popular.

Raoh

its first to market, MS had a tablet for years, but apple made it popular, sony/MS had motion control but it was nintendo that made it popular.

Don't forget fan reception.

When sony introduced eyetoy and voice commands on the ps2 and eyedentify on the ps3 gamers yelled booo

when primesense was at ces showing their tech on pc games gamers said meh

then natal's vision video dropped and the crowed goes wild in excitement.

The one feature I'm waiting for, and I keep saying it, is when ms introduces a game that allows kinect to recognize a 360 controller being thrust forward/backward/eft/right by the gamers motion people will ask why sony can't innovate like that.

Vaporizer

Banned
That's sony for you these days. come up with new ideas. Play around with it a little bit, then watch competitors run away with it.

That's what happens when engineers are supplanted by corporate fools at the helm

Don't forget fan reception.

When sony introduced eyetoy and voice commands on the ps2 and eyedentify on the ps3 gamers yelled booo

when primesense was at ces showing their tech on pc games gamers said meh

then natal's vision video dropped and the crowed goes wild in excitement.

The one feature I'm waiting for, and I keep saying it, is when ms introduces a game that allows kinect to recognize a 360 controller being thrust forward/backward/eft/right by the gamers motion people will ask why sony can't innovate like that.

Yeah, would be great if MS innovated with Sixaxis.

Raoh

That's sony for you these days. come up with new ideas. Play around with it a little bit, then watch competitors run away with it.

That's what happens when engineers are supplanted by corporate fools at the helm

This.. its why all sony press and gamer conferences are as exciting as a board room meeting about new letterhead proposal decks.

Vaporizer

Banned

sony actually does innovate and spends alot of money on R&D. The problem is that the fucks in charge do not fully commit to anything whatsoever.

I mean look at this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAS55_RngoQ

Do you know how much awesome is it to have this in the medical field especially surgery and endoscopy? Morons the whole lot. I feel for the engineers really. They deserve much better

Raoh

Yeah, would be great if MS innovated with Sixaxis.

and move/wiimote all are lacking because they are trying to do it all but it needs to be incorporated. Sony made all that fuss about the pseye having a 4way array mic and did nothing with it. socom voice commands? dropped, sixaxis? all but forgotten.

What sony needs is a team of individuals to read forums like neogaf and see what we really think and take it back to their execs and devs and engineers.

Its obvious by the recent socom games that sony doesn't listen to its customers/fans.

Raoh

sony actually does innovate and spends alot of money on R&D. The problem is that the fucks in charge do not fully commit to anything whatsoever.

I mean look at this shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAS55_RngoQ

Do you know how much awesome is it to have this in the medical field especially surgery and endoscopy? Morons the whole lot. I feel for the engineers really. They deserve much better

Don't forget their ps eye face recognition possibilities back in 2006

http://youtu.be/58hfb9ZxzK8

http://youtu.be/58hfb9ZxzK8

Its going to be funny to see augmented reality take off after sony dropped support for games like eye of judgment too

and move/wiimote all are lacking because they are trying to do it all but it needs to be incorporated. Sony made all that fuss about the pseye having a 4way array mic and did nothing with it. socom voice commands? dropped, sixaxis? all but forgotten.

Because that mic was godawful. I took the bait and regretted it.

Agent X

Its going to be funny to see augmented reality take off after sony dropped support for games like eye of judgment too

It looks like they're giving augmented reality games another whirl with the PS Vita. The Vita is in a better position to support these types of games, since the system has cameras built in and they're including the AR cards in the box.

I always thought the PS4 would possibly ship with an Eyetoy 3 that's at least as good as the current kinect and with that break apart controller that would be the successor of the DS and would turn into a move.

I also think PS4 will be retroactive with current PS3 controllers and move

Alx

His research was around software applications of the tech and processing of data from such cameras. How long for, I have no idea, but evidence of that work is pretty plentiful in his patent filings (including the one linked in the last post). I don't know what you constitute as working with a technology, but he did enough to generate some patents out of it :)

You don't need to have worked in a field to file a patent, the only thing you're protecting is an idea, it can be only paperware. For example, Sony filed a patent about a device sending sensory data directly into the brain through ultrasounds, without having ever worked on it, it was just a random idea that they thought worth protecting :

A Sony Electronics spokeswoman told the magazine that no experiments had been conducted, and that the patent "was based on an inspiration that this may someday be the direction that technology will take us."

Many companies don't file patents on something they invented, but on something they intend to work on (when they're not just doing it just in case someone else does), because if they can't protect it, it's not even worth starting researching it.

Apath

I figure a PS-Kinect like device would be inevitable. If Kinect is really going to be a major selling point for the nextbox, why not try and cut into its user base?

unomas

Banned
I really want to give Sony some love, but the copycat approach is just not working that well. Just feels like a sinking ship at this point.

graywolf323

Dr Richard Marks is quite frankly a genius IMO so I look forward to see what he comes up with

It's simply logical that when the cost/functionality trade-off makes sense, Sony will adopt it for a eyetoy/pseye iteration. I'm not sure this patent suggests anything new though.

yes but the people who like to troll and claim Sony just copies everything will just ignore that

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Thanks for bringing up this old patent as I was about to run an article about it claiming it was something new :p

By the way, I think many are missing the point of this patent, or rather what it's actually patented here.

I've read the whole thing and it's more like an indication of how a depth camera can improve the augmented reality thing.

The patent, in fact, doesn't focus on user interaction a la Kinect (albeit it's mentioned as a possible application), but more on what might be an evolution of the current AR tech as seen in games such as Start The Party.

It basically postulates that thanks to depth data, virtual objects can actually be rendered "within" the real 3D space rather than simply applied over it. Virtual stuff could move behind real objects and even cast shadows on them realistically. Users can be dressed with virtual clothes and stuff like that. This is basically EyeToy 3 more than a Kinect 2. If you get what I mean. And besides, this stuff could theoretically be done with the current Kinect tech already.

Honestly, I don't really give a shit about this stuff because I believe AR is as cool as a tech as its possible applications are conceptually "meh". Especially if the point is to create a virtual world around your real self rather than "virtualizing" yourself within a virtual word on the screen which you can actually explore (like Kinect does). I mean, what's more immersive? Interacting with a virtual dragon in your living room (facing the screen rather than the dragon, no less - meh, talk about disconnection) or be actually into Skyrim?

Richard should really let the idea of bringing stuff out of the screen die and focus on how to put you into the screen.

Thanks for bringing up this old patent as I was about to run an article about it claiming it was something new :p

By the way, I think many are missing the point of this patent, or rather what it's actually patented here.

I've read the whole thing and it's more like an indication of how a depth camera can improve the augmented reality thing.

The patent, in fact, doesn't focus on user interaction a la Kinect, but more on what might be an evolution of the current AR tech as seen in games such as Start The Party.

It basically postulates that thanks to depth data, virtual objects can actually be rendered "within" the real 3D space rather than simply applied over it. Virtual stuff could move behind real objects and even cast shadows on them realistically. Users can be dressed with virtual clothes and stuff like that. This is basically EyeToy 3 more than a Kinect 2. If you get what I mean. And besides, this stuff could theoretically be done with the current Kinect tech already.

Double Fine has already done this using Kinect, with Happy Action Theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHr0I-iFHE

I don't believe sony didn't told him what they believed, it is his job to research this and tell "them" if it is worth or not.

I really want to give Sony some love, but the copycat approach is just not working that well. Just feels like a sinking ship at this point.

So they are refreshing a patent from 2003. Who exactly are they copying this time?
Just to get your line of thoughts?

Alx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHr0I-iFHE

I don't believe sony didn't told him what they believed, it is his job to research this and tell "them" if it is worth or not.

Like he says himself at the beginning of the video, it is the 3DV (not 3DView, my bad) presentation I was talking about, and he says that he only spent a few days at 3DV to toy with the demos... So yeah you could say he worked on it, but apart from those few days there is no sign of a big activity on the subject, it's more technical intelligence.
Which is fine and indeed it's his job to do it, but you can't pretend he's an expert in everything he laid his hands on.

When I said "Sony didn't believe in 3D cams and chose physical motion controllers instead" I didn't imply that the decision was forced on him. If anything, since he's in charge, maybe I should have said "Marks didn't believe in 3D cams...", except that I'm not 100% sure that the decision was his.
Anyway that's fine too, sometimes you have to make a choice, you can't bet on everything. And Move was a rather sensible choice, one that many gamers here will support rather than kinect-like systems.

Top Bottom