• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS4 is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived; big reveals at Gamescom

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I thought Gamescon was going to be a Vita show. :/

i5XbsbQcg8sUF.gif

I'm sure there are going to be Vita announcements but I thought Gamescom as a Vita show was another case of misleading thread titles.

hawk2025

Say that it is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived.

I realize they mention, afterward, "and certainly ever developed and at a price that feels very acceptable" but that doesn't change much. Price means different things to different people. For the price, my computer provides much better value, for instance.

Yeah, they did. I think it's a dangerous road of misinformation and ignorance pandering that we are going down as gaming comes into the limelight more and more.

I really wish company could be held to a higher standard than this. How about we just call it subsidized, exclusive dedicated servers? Oh, is that bad for marketing? Well, part of a good marketing campaign is being clever and taping into the truth of the product to sell it, not wrapping it in lies and then selling it.

They didn't say console. Why are you bolding it? They said device. Words have meanings and the words you choose are important and shape the final idea of the sentence.

Doubling down was really, really not your next best move after making that show-offy statement, friend :)

Looking forward to Gamescom! Give us at least one more game announcement, Sony!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I fully expect "Conversations on a Couch While Playing PSEye Pong" to become a popular shared video series this generation. Make it happen!

People focusing on certain statements and ignoring everything else is the reason why sites like this go with clickbait titles. They know it will work. Oh well, it was a good read anyway.

I wonder what they will show at Gamescom? Bunch of new IPs would be excellent.

The Stardust successor is pretty much a lock for that event.

No where in the article or video am I seeing the promise of big reveals at Gamescom. There's that last bit where he says there are more details missing, but nothing "big" is promised.

That thread title is in desperate need of changing.

That's more than a bit deceptive for a thread title.

You're taking what he said out of context. That quote is under a discussion of price vs. power. He's not claiming that it's more powerful than a supercomputer or something, but that for the "price" you're getting the most powerful thing around.

Edit: I see as well that this inflamatory title was used by Techradar, but that doesn't make it any more appropriate, unless you want to quote the thread title as that is what they're saying.

Busty

Banned
How exactly is it okay or legal to say that when my computer would run laps around the PS4, holding it's breath?

One would think that is false advertising and blatantly lying.

Well if you read the article it specifically mentions you and your PC by name.

I wouldn't go looking for it though. They are not flattering. At all.

omonimo

Banned
so...SOny put a paywall on onlineplay for their customers?

Yeah, probably it's the worst part about the ps4 launch. I found this thing really disgusting & moreover the pathetic excuse of Yoshida; still, I don't understand why gamers are not in first line like the DRM campaign but accept so easily to have paywall for the multiplayer. I'm pretty sure sony would have change their mind if a lot of gamers would reserved the same welcome to the paywall mutliplayer news of the DRM bullshit of microsoft.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I fully expect "Conversations on a Couch While Playing PSEye Pong" to become a popular shared video series this generation. Make it happen!

That would be cool. Giantbomb needs to get to work on recording a podcast with the pack in SW (Playroom) in PS4.

One could hope to see Stardust at Gamescom. That would be a treat.

hawk2025

I am now imagining a Super Stardust sequel with a ridiculous amount of particles on screen in 1080p/60fps, and it is glorious.

Make it happen HM!

How exactly is it okay or legal to say that when my computer would run laps around the PS4, holding it's breath?

One would think that is false advertising and blatantly lying.

Well, if you read what the article actually says instead of just pulling a quote, you'd see that this is a discussion of price vs. power. If your PC cost $400 and still runs laps around the PS4, then it seems like false advertising. Otherwise, don't just react to thread titles; read the article because people creating OPs sometimes do so very poorly.

SparkTR

So you read the thread title and skipped what is in the OP?

More like skimmed the OP. I was mostly basing it off this: "So it's great to be going to market with what we believe is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived and certainly ever developed"

Which is where my eyes landed on and what I thought OP was quoting. Turned out they said more earlier and later about price.

Just start showing me those new IP's.

Driveclub, Knack, and 1886 are already 3 of the 12 new IP they are bringing in the first year. I'm sure they have a lot to show at both Gamescom and TGS. Remember they used E3 to get the whole "no used game fees and no online" speech moment. They knew they could win without games. Now the competition is backpedaling and they still have a bunch of those 20 games to show. It's the perfect strategy. Win E3 while still holding back your big guns. Meanwhile MS tried so hard to cover their policies with all their game announcements (or most of them) and still failed to win despite blowing so many exclusives their. I mean there was no news of Sunset Overdrive or the new Halo just DRM news. It completely overshadowed their games and then we discover PS will have 5 more in the first year? That's just bad for them.

Sony don't get too cocky now..show the goods first and let us be the judge. Hardware is nothing without software to back it up as the Vita has shown.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony is set to have a great Gamescom. They will throw a wedding with the ps4 for mark cerny and ken kutaragi and then they will have a funeral for vita. It will be filmed and released in theaters this November. It will be better than every movie Jamie foxx has been in combined.

aganu

Its part of the ps camera demo 'the playroom', you get it for free when you buy ps4, but you need ps camera to play it, so not really free

it's called playroom i think, a bundled free game-demo that requires the eye.

I love the interactive gru-like little robots.
Oh, thanks! Never knew that Playroom contains an actual game like the one in the gif. Thought it's just a robot interactive thing. That's awesome!

Copenap

Say that it is the most powerful gaming device ever conceived.

I realize they mention, afterward, "and certainly ever developed and at a price that feels very acceptable" but that doesn't change much. Price means different things to different people. For the price, my computer provides much better value, for instance.
Wrong, value is subjective, price is not and he's referring specifically to that price. You didn't read the full interview before your innitial post, give it upp, happens to the best of us.

Sony is set to have a great Gamescom. They will throw a wedding with the ps4 for mark cerny and ken kutaragi and then they will have a funeral for vita. It will be filmed and released in theaters this November. It will be better than every movie Jamie foxx has been in combined.
jaimie foxx will play mark cerny

aganu

Maybe the DualShock 4 is compatible with the PS3?
I think it's just the editing of the video. The footage was on PS3 as the on-screen controller that appeared at one point on the game's hud was a DS3. Also Puppeteer and GT6 were shown, it's a Playstation (not just a PS4) event.

Tripolygon

Banned
Simulating wine bottle, you shake the bottle and pop the cork, that slap my head motion one of the guy did is hilarious though. Lol

Oh i know, you get the wine bottle as a trophy when you win in the AR hockey game. The guy doing the face palm is Nicolas Doucet the producer of Eyepet who works at PlayStation R&D.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Holy shit, I just realised what you just said. There are cracks in their PR armour folks..

One could laugh a little in that regard but I think he meant that quote in response to recent events like DRM/always online.

You could turn it against him but I think in the context of the interview, he doesn't refer to the paywall.

You could extrapolate and use that wording on anything from rumble, to using a game pad (hint - Sony wasn't the first company to use a controller) or anything else :p

JaxJag

Banned
To be fair, PCs are not gaming devices. PCs are meant to do other stuff, and they just happen to play video games.

I love the Vita but it has no future. I really hope they go all out with the PS4 reveals. Phase the Vita out, there is no place for it now.

Holy shit, I just realised what you just said. There are cracks in their PR armour folks..

Well sony already said their reason, they said they need it to improve their online services like share feature, cross game chat, hopefully better dl speed etc too. So I'll wait and see if they really gonna improve their network.

Top Bottom