• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Gamescom Media Briefing On "Release Plans for PlayStation 4"

To be fair, it's "only" the launch preorders which are dominated by the enthusiasts, and those want the more powerful box without Kinect. Of course, those people will lead the way for others by spreading the gospel, but I expect the Xbox to catch up relatively after launch.

In addition, Microsoft has apparently produced much less units.

I agree with all of this. I don't think microsoft is as fucked as many people on this forum do. I think they will have a strong '14. Sony seems to think so as well... which is why they aren't blowing their load right now.

Sony has been in a position of power this entire cycle. First they threw microsoft for a loop by showing their system very early and having the specs they did. They announced that E3 was going to be games games games so Sony knew exactly what to expect and knew they had an opening to kill them on used games. They announced November so that, to me, makes october viable... because if you're going for the jugular which sony seems to be, you do that.

Why has Microsoft telegraphed all of these moves? It's somewhat confounding. But... next year they will sort out the production issues, titanfall will be big, halo will be big.... they are going to sell plenty of units. But sony is in a good position to release info against all of these things - which is why they are holding on to it and not showing it now - if my sources are correct.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Enthusiasts buy up everything. You're not going to see 1m PS4 sold and 250k xbones sold for December NPD

If 400k want a PS4 and 250k want an Xbone, and Sony manufactured those 400k units but Microsoft only 100k, then it would make perfect sense. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 is just more popular. The public perception of Sony and Microsoft, especially after the almost historic E3 conference, was unprecedented.

rjinaz

Grimløck;76800795 said:
lol what? I know popularity doesn't equate sales, but damn, that's gotta be alarming for MSFT.

Over 32,000 of the votes are from Saudi Arabia. Only about 7,000 are from the US even. Something seems off.

I'm wondering about 4 to 1 thing, is that your guessing or hard true data?

That's sony's internal projection. I have no idea how they get those numbers and whether it's fact based or if they pull it out of their ass. I would assume it involves a ton of market research and talking with retailers.

The only thing I'm curious about is how most people seem to be talking about launch and holiday 2014. You even did in your post. And of course, stuff like Uncharted or something like that would be a holiday title, but what about Q1 and/or Q2 of 2014? It seems like nobody has any hints or thoughts about anything new being announced for the first-half of next year. I think the one thing that could hurt Sony's momentum is if SS is the only post-launch first-party 'AAA' game that hits before holiday 2014.

That's all that stood out to me. If Sony isn't announcing new games soon then I don't see them dropping a new title in say March or June of next year, because usually there's more lead time. I understand waiting to announce holiday 2014 titles, but it seems like any spring or summer titles should be announced before or at the very least around launch, and I'm not hearing anything about that.

Yes, I definitely need to see something new announced for the first half of 2014.

Yawnier

Banned
Sound like mostly same shit will be shown actually, with a sprinkle of new shit.

Still, why would you need 1-3 hours to show just the same shit?

Because SCE has to pay Rey Gutierrez to make montages, that's why.

Actually, I don't know why.

Mort, I think Sony is on to you, lol.

I can't believe Sony really wouldn't announce more of their big 2014 games, it's not even about console sales anymore, the game itself will need some time to build hype, usually it took about a year for a big game between annoncement and release date

they should at least start announcing their Q2/Q3 titles from right around now imo. obviously we're expecting Sony to show their holiday 2014 title during this year VGA

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the difference that would make. Amazing stuff will come in all forms. Transistor is a DD game. Can't wait for that one.
Yup. Two of my top three most anticipated PS4 games are digital. Transistor and Galak-Z.

ElTorro

Maybe they'll just tease titles like Uncharted 4 (or whatever ND is doing) with a trailer similar to the Halo5 one. Just to say "Yes, it's coming. Soon." Everybody knows these teams are developing something anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mort, I think Sony is on to you, lol.

I can't believe Sony really wouldn't announce more of their big 2014 games, it's not even about console sales anymore, the game itself will need some time to build hype, usually it took about a year for a big game between annoncement and release date

they should at least start announcing their Q2/Q3 titles from right around now imo. obviously we're expecting Sony to show their holiday 2014 title during this year VGA

There's a time and a place. They will be pacing their announcements so I hope no one really expects them to just show tons of things yet when they can work on it more and get things ready for a later premiere.

Why isn't sony greenlighting bioshock vita?
When can we expect gaikai to actually launch?
Does sucker punch have two teams?
Verendus said Sly5 is coming, have you heard anything about that?

I don't know about Bioshock Vita but I would be surprised if they haven't worked it out by now.

I expect gaikai to atleast roll out in beta form by spring.

As far as I know Sucker Punch has one team... but I don't know anyone at sucker punch so it's entirely possible i'm wrong.

Sly 5 was greenlit. I have no idea for what platforms. With Ratchet being a PS3 game... and the PS3 getting very cheap soon I can see it being a ps3/vita game as the console will skew younger. But this is totally conjecture on my part. But I do know it's been greenlit.

jiggle

should they really be doing this after years of "ps3/vita has no games" memes?
it's not an image they can shake off easily once established

edit: not launching in jpn anytime soon if true.

You will get used to it one pup.

It's not meant to be insulting.

Hahaha, kk. I guess I'm used to seeing avatars quoted when someone makes a fanboy comment with a fanboy avatar or something, hahaha, I was just confused.

It's great to finally be able to participate! I feel like I know a lot of you guys after reading your posts for so long! Hahaha

B.O.O.M

Honestly they should show at least two games. GG's new IP and we also know something like Super Stardust or DN2 will be there. Plus new footage of the other games and several solid 'exclusive' title reveals for the vita would make it a perfect event

Yawnier

Banned
Sly 5 was greenlit. I have no idea for what platforms. With Ratchet being a PS3 game... and the PS3 getting very cheap soon I can see it being a ps3/vita game as the console will skew younger. But this is totally conjecture on my part. But I do know it's been greenlit.

Sly Cooper and Ratchet live on, while Jak and Daxter are both dead. Deader than dead.

What a cruel world we live in.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Hahaha, kk. I guess I'm used to seeing avatars quoted when someone makes a fanboy comment with a fanboy avatar or something, hahaha, I was just confused.

It's great to finally be able to participate! I feel like I know a lot of you guys after reading your posts for so long! Hahaha

Welcome to the tub, err, umm, club

imtehman

Banned
meh, i'd rather sony hold on to their stuff until its closer to being shown.

I would not want to endure something like TLG and FFvsXIII to happen again

TriGen

As far as sales are concerned I could see PS4 doing way more than XBO because I really feel like XBO is going to have tight supply. The vibe really seems to be that there will be a lot more PS4s in the wild (hard to come by, of course, but out there). It's actually what is making me think about going for that Wal-Mart XBO pre-order even though I got a PS4 because I'm concerned if I all of the sudden want one in the first few months it will be hard to find. Because no matter how much better Sony PR has been, if supply's really tight the XBO is still going to sell out.

N.Domixis

Banned
That's sony's internal projection. I have no idea how they get those numbers and whether it's fact based or if they pull it out of their ass. I would assume it involves a ton of market research and talking with retailers.

So when Sony's momentum starts to dwindle they will announce new games to keep the momentum going?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Literally the only two things I've been anticipating from Gamescom are release date info and more info on The Order. Anything above and beyond that would just be bonus points.

Stardust will be there. And there will be good news along with that.

It's also worth noting that what is shown at gamescom is up in the air until the day the show happens. These things are very fluid. I just happened to have a day where several people all were saying the same stuff.... which made me think it's a company-wide decision. I can be wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong.

I was very wrong several things at E3. Unless you know the team designing the presentation you're basically operating off of internal rumors. And these are the current internal rumors.

ElTorro

It's also worth noting that what is shown at gamescom is up in the air until the day the show happens. These things are very fluid.

Do we know already if Microsoft or Sony will present first? Maybe they'll wait and react accordingly.

Mort, do you know if GT6 will be released before the PS4?

It would make sense, because if it's after i'm afraid it will lose a bit of sales. Ps4 in october and GT6 in December would be bad for the game.

As far as I know Sucker Punch has one team... but I don't know anyone at sucker punch so it's entirely possible i'm wrong.

IIRC Sucker Punch have around 80-85 people as of InFAMOUS: Second Son, which is considered small compared to most other AAA studios (Fun fact: Sanzaru Games had around 50-60 during development of Sly 4). They also stated they prefer to be In one team for quality reasons.

famousmortimer said:

All of my yes. Most likely PS3/Vita since that was what Sanzaru was hiring for and it'd be easier to reuse assets from the PS3 game on the PS3.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

It's also worth noting that what is shown at gamescom is up in the air until the day the show happens. These things are very fluid. I just happened to have a day where several people all were saying the same stuff.... which made me think it's a company-wide decision. I can be wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong.

I was very wrong several things at E3. Unless you know the team designing the presentation you're basically operating off of internal rumors. And these are the current internal rumors.

I'm still sticking with the idea that you don't slot three hour stream to repeat all or mostly the same thing. It would be kinda bad. People would start to say they have nothing to show, MS has games, so much for the gamers console concept!!... Even if untrue.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they don't have anything else game-wise for next spring and they're planning on Gaikai to be their big early 2014 'thing.' I could possibly see that.
I thought Infamous was early 2014?

I'm still sticking with the idea that you don't slot three hour stream to repeat all or mostly the same thing. It would be kinda bad. People would start to say they have nothing to show, MS has games, so much for the gamers console concept!!... Even if untrue.
And I thought the stream was one hour??

So when Sony's momentum starts to dwindle they will announce new games to keep the momentum going?

That's the plan. Well, not to be reactionary, but to time it all out. To create a plan and stick to it. The system is going to sell fine. Next year there will be lulls. Sony is actually in a much better position than MS to handle these lulls because of all the work they've put in with indie devs. But... still, they can trickle out info at a sustained rate that keeps buzz high. If they drop everything at gamescom (which was never going to happen... but I did hope *some* of it would be there) there would be crazy lulls next year with no games or news.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do have atleast one huge announcement at Gamescom. I would also expect one at TGS. My posts are more warning that people looking for a huge 2014 info dump shouldn't get their hopes up.

TriGen

Mort, do you know if GT6 will be released before the PS4?

It would make sense, because if it's after i'm afraid it will lose a bit of sales. Ps4 in october and GT6 in December would be bad for the game.

I feel like it was heavily hinted (not by mort, per se) in an old GT6 thread that a late November date was likely, November 26th or something like that. It was a long time ago and I don't know how valid that was, though.

I bought Stardust the day trophy support was added to the PS3. Played the crap out of it. After a while, I actually stopped dying all the time.

I'm really curious to see how the successor has evolved the formula. Delta was nice but, let's be honest, was kinda just more of the same. They need a significant step forward somehow to really differentiate it as a PS4 title.

P.S. The good news is Sony bought Housemarque. I'm not the first to suggest this, but I totally stand behind it.

Verendus

Banned
I'm starting my trip now. Out of town today, then off to Germany tomorrow. The first big gaming event I'm going to. Pretty exciting since it feels a little fresh. It's going to be a good show from the looks of it. Vita finally getting a little love too. It'll be treated as Cinderella (like crap that means) soon after so the world isn't really ending.

On the question of what is Sony preparing for next year. One big game a quarter. Infamous taking one slot obviously. Others coming after. Then a smattering of smaller titles here and there.

Rocksteady's next game will also have some exclusives for the PS4.

Top Bottom