• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Gamescom Media Briefing On "Release Plans for PlayStation 4"

TriGen

I thought Infamous was early 2014?

Yeah, it's Q1. I was just talking about a 'new' announcement. One game, even if it looks great doesn't sound like a ton for the entire first-half of 2014. I was just wondering if Gaikai's streaming tech was meant to try and ease people that want more than one first-party 2014 game by next fall.

jiggle

Might as well wave a white flag in jpn if all they have to show there is the current lineup plus 1 announcement

I'm still sticking with the idea that you don't slot three hour stream to repeat all or mostly the same thing. It would be kinda bad. People would start to say they have nothing to show, MS has games, so much for the gamers console concept!!... Even if untrue.

I do expect that people will say that. But even with people saying that the system is going to sell out. And whether you hear uncharted 4 announced in two weeks or three months... it's still going to make a splash when it's announced. It's not like the console is going to die if it isn't at gamescom.

Third party games are going to carry both launches. Forza/killer instinct/ryse/knack/killzone/driveclub/etc aren't going to outsell COD/BF4/Madden/WatchDogs/AC4/FIFA/etc. They just aren't. Both MS and Sony know this and that's why both launches are pretty soft with first party support.

LastNac

That's the plan. Well, not to be reactionary, but to time it all out. To create a plan and stick to it. The system is going to sell fine. Next year there will be lulls. Sony is actually in a much better position than MS to handle these lulls because of all the work they've put in with indie devs. But... still, they can trickle out info at a sustained rate that keeps buzz high. If they drop everything at gamescom (which was never going to happen... but I did hope *some* of it would be there) there would be crazy lulls next year with no games or news.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do have atleast one huge announcement at Gamescom. I would also expect one at TGS. My posts are more warning that people looking for a huge 2014 info dump shouldn't get their hopes up.

Little surprised by the lack of a one two punch or "Finish Them" Sony that wouldn't continue to be aggressive. I never expected Uncharted 4 this early but I was expecting The Last Guardian.

Also, I have been wandering, are any third party devs taking advantage of the extra power in the form of a third party exclusive. MS has two and it seems Sony has none.l?

teiresias

Famousmortimer just outlined Arrogant Sony making a comeback in full force thinking they can sit back and let their software lineup remain a mystery long enough that no one eventually gives a crap about it.

It's a HORRENDOUS strategy regardless of whether they sell out stock or not, the last thing you want to do is to keep all of those people that just laid out their money to help you sell out your console flounder around wondering if they were wrong because you haven't bothered to show them what's coming for them within the next year.

Horrible plan, absolutely horrible.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
On the question of what is Sony preparing for next year. One big game a quarter. Infamous taking one slot obviously. Others coming after.

Another one of them being The Order 1886, leaving two unannounced ones?

And I thought the stream was one hour??

It's supposed to be like 80 minutes or something. People are misinterpreting the 3-hour stream Gametrailers announced (which probably includes pre and post shows) as the length of the event. Don't see that happening. Hahah

TriGen

I'm starting my trip now. Out of town today, then off to Germany tomorrow. The first big gaming event I'm going to. Pretty exciting since it feels a little fresh. It's going to be a good show from the looks of it. Vita finally getting a little love too. It'll be treated as Cinderella (like crap that means) soon after so the world isn't really ending.

On the question of what is Sony preparing for next year. One big game a quarter.

Rocksteady's next game will also have some exclusives for the PS4.

That sounds good if that's their plan. If they have something for Q2 after SS in Q1 (I think TLoU coming out in June was smart) then I think that's enough. They just can't wait until next fall for something to release besides the original 4 announced games (Knack, Killzone, Driveclub, SS).

I'm starting my trip now. Out of town today, then off to Germany tomorrow. The first big gaming event I'm going to. Pretty exciting since it feels a little fresh. It's going to be a good show from the looks of it. Vita finally getting a little love too. It'll be treated as Cinderella (like crap that means) soon after so the world isn't really ending.

On the question of what is Sony preparing for next year. One big game a quarter. Infamous taking one slot obviously. Others coming after. Then a smattering of smaller titles here and there.

Hope you have fun. :)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fall/Winter 2014 is going to be epic, potentially up there with 1998, 2001, and 2004 from the sounds of it. It does seem like we're in for a drought after Infamous hits in Q1 though.

Famousmortimer just outlined Arrogant Sony making a comeback in full force thinking they can sit back and let their software lineup remain a mystery long enough that no one eventually gives a crap about it.

It's a HORRENDOUS strategy regardless of whether they sell out stock or not, the last thing you want to do is to keep all of those people that just laid out their money to help you sell out your console flounder around wondering if they were wrong because you haven't bothered to show them what's coming for them within the next year.

Sure we're not being -- just a touch -- hyperbolic?

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah, I don't see why we don't get a J&D revival too.

I don't see why either, the Jak games sold worse as the series went on but they still sold a couple million each towards the later entries. Meh, I don't know it just sucks to see Sly and Ratchet go on and Jak stay behind with his last game being a really subpar at that too.

On the question of what is Sony preparing for next year. One big game a quarter. Infamous taking one slot obviously. Others coming after. Then a smattering of smaller titles here and there.

Edit: NVM, read that as Rockstar.

ElTorro

If you show everything at once, that's exactly what would happen during next year when you have nothing new to announce. You wouldn't solve a problem, just delay it and make periods of drought more pronounced.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Little surprised by the lack of a one two punch or "Finish Them" Sony that wouldn't continue to be aggressive. I never expected Uncharted 4 this early but I was expecting The Last Guardian.

Also, I have been wandering, are any third party devs taking advantage of the extra power in the form of a third party exclusive. MS has two and it seems Sony has none.l?

TGS. Believe.

Mort, do you know if GT6 will be released before the PS4?

It would make sense, because if it's after i'm afraid it will lose a bit of sales. Ps4 in october and GT6 in December would be bad for the game.

I don't know the date for GT6. Polyphony can do whatever they want as far as Sony is concerned. It's frustrating for fans but it's why sony is able to retain so much talent. ND and Polyphony, in particular, are given complete freedom to do whatever they want whenever they want. Which is why we don't have vita games from either, which is the downside.

I value artistic freedom in general though so even though i want more vita games I'd rather they make stuff they are passionate about instead of being forced into stuff and then leaving the studio and making new, smaller studios (aka the EA method).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's also worth noting that what is shown at gamescom is up in the air until the day the show happens. These things are very fluid. I just happened to have a day where several people all were saying the same stuff.... which made me think it's a company-wide decision. I can be wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong.

Why do you hope to be wrong?

EDIT: Oh, you mean on taking time with games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Dude, if you're looking for blatant quotes then I suggest not even making these types of posts. They stink up a thread and are really annoying.

You're over the top for sure. Can't please everyone.

I respect that opinion and hope that I'm wrong because I agree - somewhat. I don't think it's arrogance though... I think it's smart business. It sucks for us but it's good for them. Personally though I don't care about business. I don't get up in arms about who sells more of what. I don't care if Sony's CEOs and stockholders get richer... what I care about is having games I want to play. And on that tip I want them to show them to us. So i agree - from that perspective.

But it is a business... and this is a good business move. If it's even true. I'm wrong a lot. I've talked to other insiders here who don't see it shaping up the same way I do. So my theories I'm laying out here are putting a bit on the line in terms of my credibility.

That sounds good if that's their plan. If they have something for Q2 after SS in Q1 (I think TLoU coming out in June was smart) then I think that's enough. They just can't wait until next fall for something to release besides the original 4 announced games (Knack, Killzone, Driveclub, SS).

This has nothing to do with what you said but I just noticed, you're TriGen and I'm TetraGenesis! Hahahaha 3gen/4gen, cool!

LiquidMetal14

Mort,

Still wondering about any possible third party exclusives.

Thank you in advance.

Let's just say there was, some of these things are under very tight wraps. Very tight.

I wouldn't look to him for all the answers as if he's in the decision rooms with Hirai and company.

teiresias

If you show everything at once, that's exactly what would happen during next year when you have nothing new to announce. You wouldn't solve a problem, just delay it and make periods of drought more pronounced.

There's a good deal of time between when this year's "gaming show" seasons wrap up with Gamescom and TGS and next year's E3. A whole six months or so that's essentially blank for PS4 releases outside of Infamous:SS and some Indie games.

If they don't have enough in the woodwork that they can talk about that's coming in the first six months of 2014 that they can talk about at Gamescom and TGS, and then have plenty to talk about at E3 next year for holiday and into 2015, then we're giving Sony far too much credit for being prepared, sofware-wise, for next gen.

imtehman

Banned
Dude, if you're looking for blatant quotes then I suggest not even making these types of posts. They stink up a thread and are really annoying.

he does have a point though.

why not tease a God of War or UC just to let fans know its coming like how MS teased Halo at E3. Didn't Sony tease GoW3 at VGA with a short 10 second trailer? that is something that could be doable

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

why not tease a God of War or UC just to let fans know its coming like how MS teased Halo at E3. Didn't Sony tease GoW3 at VGA with a short 10 second trailer? that is something that could be doable

E3 2008.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I do expect that people will say that. But even with people saying that the system is going to sell out. And whether you hear uncharted 4 announced in two weeks or three months... it's still going to make a splash when it's announced. It's not like the console is going to die if it isn't at gamescom.

Third party games are going to carry both launches. Forza/killer instinct/ryse/knack/killzone/driveclub/etc aren't going to outsell COD/BF4/Madden/WatchDogs/AC4/FIFA/etc. They just aren't. Both MS and Sony know this and that's why both launches are pretty soft with first party support.

I know you're right, and reactions like I'm describing mostly happen here, not for most mainstream gamers. I just think that life on here with a lack of announcements will be hell. Preorder cancelled and all that left and right.

On the whole, in my opinion, most people will stick with just one console this gen(I don't count Wii U) because , well, who would want to pay two sub fees a year to game online. Most people will want to game online. If accurate Sony doesn't need to announce more than one big game per quarter. It just sucks for us hungry for the info.

ElTorro

I expect that to happen.

LiquidMetal14

Why or why not? It won't hurt anyone for them not to blow their load. I see no reason to even nitpick that and mind you, all this is hypothetical as none of this is coming from Sony's mouth. You either show off too much or hold on to your stuff and let it mature. For stuff coming next year, I see no reason to show every thing right now.

I'd love to see one of the games you mentioned shown though but I get how these things work and I also know how much talent is under the Sony umbrella of 1st party devs.

ypo

That's sony's internal projection. I have no idea how they get those numbers and whether it's fact based or if they pull it out of their ass. I would assume it involves a ton of market research and talking with retailers.

I doubt Sony knows MS's pre-order number when their Senior Director of Product Planning doesn't even know. All lies!

Samyy

Im very jealous of you and everyone getting to go to a big gameshow
one day :(

N.Domixis

Banned

It is just a good business decision, they will probably spread their announcements over the entire year instead of panicking like Microsoft and blowing most of their load at one event.

LiquidMetal14

I doubt Sony knows MS's pre-order number when their Senior Director of Product Planning doesn't even know. All lies!

YOu know how tight that info is though? It isn't just something you will see out in the open and not certainly from someone here spilling. These numbers are changing anyways.

Yep and then most of the time people say they would get the system when the games comes out so in the end showing to early really don't matter sometimes .

Top Bottom