• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Gamescom Media Briefing On "Release Plans for PlayStation 4"

I know you're right, and reactions like I'm describing mostly happen here, not for most mainstream gamers. I just think that life on here with a lack of announcements will be hell. Preorder cancelled and all that left and right.

On the whole, in my opinion, most people will stick with just one console this gen(I don't count Wii U) because , well, who would want to pay two sub fees a year to game online. Most people will want to game online. If accurate Sony doesn't need to announce more than one big game per quarter. It just sucks for us hungry for the info.

There will be many pictures of preorders being canceled. It's going to be funny/sad.

Is my prediction.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
More things will start becoming clear next week though. Too many things to talk about from the OS to games and newer announcements. Should be fun.

Excited to hear the release date, and hoping it feels like a knockout. But as confident as Sony might be in it's first 3-6 months, they've done so well so far, and watching them step back now seems like a big mistake. MS is doing a good job turning the narrative, and Sony needs to remind everyone why the PS4 is a great buy in the face of that.

I *really* hope Gamescom brings a couple really solid and exciting announcements, because I garauntee MS will have something planned. The last thing Sony needs is to see the games press writing a bunch of stories about how the shine is wearing off before the console has even launched. No time for rest yet Sony.

Samyy

Still as a spectacle, just to take in the atmosphere of a new console launch at the scene itself must be interesting.

Begaria

Famousmortimer just outlined Arrogant Sony making a comeback in full force thinking they can sit back and let their software lineup remain a mystery long enough that no one eventually gives a crap about it.

It's a HORRENDOUS strategy regardless of whether they sell out stock or not, the last thing you want to do is to keep all of those people that just laid out their money to help you sell out your console flounder around wondering if they were wrong because you haven't bothered to show them what's coming for them within the next year.

Horrible plan, absolutely horrible.

*Holds envelope to forehead*

Agent, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Ruin

*tears envelope open*

"What is announcing games too early."

I'd rather Sony hold on to their cards for games that will ABSOLUTELY come out, rather than fill a three hour conference with a bunch of games that MIGHT come out, just to pad out their line up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It is just a good business decision, they will probably spread their announcements over the entire year instead of panicking like Microsoft and blowing most of their load at one event.

Well, if the post Infamous drought ends up being as bad as it looks, they want might to let people in on what they have to look forward to. You can't play everything as close to the chest as it sounds like they want to.

B.O.O.M

I'm starting my trip now. Out of town today, then off to Germany tomorrow. The first big gaming event I'm going to. Pretty exciting since it feels a little fresh. It's going to be a good show from the looks of it. Vita finally getting a little love too. It'll be treated as Cinderella (like crap that means) soon after so the world isn't really ending.

On the question of what is Sony preparing for next year. One big game a quarter. Infamous taking one slot obviously. Others coming after. Then a smattering of smaller titles here and there.

Rocksteady's next game will also have some exclusives for the PS4.

VITA LOVE! That's like the best kind of love.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
There will be many pictures of preorders being canceled. It's going to be funny/sad.

We will keep the train going.

youhavemy2qb0c.gif

Verendus

Banned
Also, I have been wandering, are any third party devs taking advantage of the extra power in the form of a third party exclusive. MS has two and it seems Sony has none.l?
They have five notable ones. But I think the question you're asking is, 'Does Sony have any notable Western exclusive?' The answer is they have one which is going to be considered pretty goddamn huge when it's unveiled.

Joker is PS4 exclusive confirmed.

Yeah...I guess I want to know what they are doing for their next project.
You'll know this year potentially. If not, then expect them at Sony E3 2014.

I doubt Sony knows MS's pre-order number when their Senior Director of Product Planning doesn't even know. All lies!

'Projections.'

Multinationals all have a pretty elaborate and complicated measure of projecting sales/pre-orders/market share/etc, be it via research agencies, or on-ground information gathering via their distributors/sales team.

It's not perfect, but generally you'd get a pretty good indicator. O&G works in far less sophisticated and tech-savvy backgrounds (in retail downstream, not drilling btw), yet it's pretty easy for us to be able to guesstimate how much our competitor market share/sales performance/reception are.

One of the major reasons why having a rich sales/distributor network is essential is because these guys are basically your on-ground spy networks.

We have five notable ones. But I think the question you're asking is, 'Does Sony have any notable Western exclusive?' The answer is they have one which is going to be considered pretty goddamn huge when it's unveiled.

If I could open mouth kiss your avatar, I would. Cigar, blackface, and all.

B.O.O.M

They have five notable ones. But I think the question you're asking is, 'Does Sony have any notable Western exclusive?' The answer is they have one which is going to be considered pretty goddamn huge when it's unveiled.

Beyond good and Evil 2...I just bloody know it!

Yawnier

Banned
Less than microsoft.

Sony seems reticent to spend money. I actually wrote a piece about it on my blog.

Sony Still Has A Lot To Prove

I also wrote about why the 180s won't necessarily save Microsoft while I'm shamelessly promoting myself (this will be it, promise)

Good on them for being way less reliant on third party exclusives to carry their platform now, for example -- pretty much nearly all the major 3rd party exclusive franchises went multiplat from the PS2 to the PS3 transition. They just can't rely on them like they used to considering the manpower and money that goes into developing a larger game now compared to a decade or two ago.

It was definitely one of the smartest things SCE did this past generation, beefing up their first party studios.

kennyamr

I'm still waiting for a FINAL FANTASY RE:VII announcement at TGS lol
Who knows... Square-Enix may make a movie or a series about it instead... (yeah, keep dreaming) oh well, at least I got Noctis and Sora, those two are more than enough to keep me alive for the next few years.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Who knows... Square-Enix may make a movie or a series about it instead... (yeah, keep dreaming) oh well, at least I got Noctis and Sora, those two are more than enough to keep me alive for the next few years.

Yes, as long as they get it done within about 7 years, you're good to go

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It's time to let that dream go, son.

Less than microsoft.

Sony seems reticent to spend money. I actually wrote a piece about it on my blog.

Sony Still Has A Lot To Prove

I also wrote about why the 180s won't necessarily save Microsoft while I'm shamelessly promoting myself (this will be it, promise)

At this point i really don't care about 3rd party exclusive which end up being timed any way .
I think Sony has show this gen that there first party is damn good and they should put more money into it then trying to get some other company IP for a short while.
They have some of best tech guys around and i happy with them , all that is left is for the Japanese side to pull there weight .
Make or fund a few mid to big budget jrpgs and i would be happy

Samyy

At this point i really don't care about 3rd party exclusive which end up being timed any way .
I think Sony has show this gen that there first party is damn good and they should put more money into it then trying to get some other company IP for a short while.
They have some of best tech guys around and i happy with them all that is need is for Japanese side to pull there weight .

Third party exclusives matter - Titanfall is arguably the biggest exclusive and even if it is timed for one year, if it turns out to be as good as people think it is its going to move units.

It'll be interesting to see what Sony sends out against Titanfall next year.

Are you hearing the same thing regarding Gamescom being light on new stuff? Outside the OS/release date/vita/etc?

Is it fair to assume these 'five' are 3rd-party published exclusives, not not 'SCE-published 3rd-party titles'?

If so, that's a good amount, given that it's more likely than not that western exclusives would be timed.... where as the Japanese ones have better chance of actually staying exclusive.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is it fair to assume these 'five' are 3rd-party published exclusives, not not 'SCE-published 3rd-party titles'?

If so, that's a good amount, given that it's more likely than not that western exclusives would be timed.... where as the Japanese ones have better chance of actually staying exclusive.

Similar to the PS3 you'll see some Japanese third party stuff exclusive.

I mean think about it..it's the type of game that has just the right amount of scale budget wise (it's no COD, GTA, RDR etc) and it's a game we know that exists but know nothing beyond that. Ubi is no stranger to console exclusives but afaik no new exclusives for Xbone or PS4 yet from them.

I'm with you! I never ever thought of it (thus the gif) but it seems like a theory I could get behind.

B.O.O.M

So guiz..the rumor is Sony has two Sega exclusives for PS4 right? What can they be?

Here's my wet dream wish list

IF they own the IP, a Vanquish sequel
Shenmue

I'm with you! I never ever thought of it (thus the gif) but it seems like a theory I could get behind.

Yep..and I just want to see the game already! :D

Yawnier

Banned
So guiz..the rumor is Sony has two Sega exclusives for PS4 right? What can they be?

Here's my wet dream wish list

IF they own the IP, a Vanquish sequel
Shenmue

Yep..and I just want to see the game already! :D

One of them is Yakuza 6, the other is Dynasty Warriors 9 (exclusive in Japan at least).

I guarantee it.

Samyy

This is now officially a Persona 5 hype thread, believe.
Oh Begaria, the masses don't play games on PC at a scale as large as consoles. Microsoft is going to market the shit out of Titanfall and if its as good as people think it is I could see it being absolutely massive. We all know Microsoft knows how to sell games.

Similar to the PS3 you'll see some Japanese third party stuff exclusive.

There's no reason for some of those Japanese third party to be multiplat if their main focus is their domestic audience to begin with.

'Notable' ones might though, if they have enough of a western audience.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Imagine this Gamescom moment..:

Sony announces an October release date. Microsoft scrambles, and releases any ready supply they have of XB1, and announce its on store shelves now!

I really have to lay off the drugs. They make me think history can repeat itself.

Top Bottom