• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Import impressions thread

Afrit

The silhouettes of some of the upcoming bosses.

1364438306680_.png

looks varied!

Kyoufu

Would this game be enjoyable to someone who doesn't like Monster Hunter?

It's a 4 player action game where the objective is to defeat a boss enemy. The similarities end there, so I can't answer your question. Try the demo when available in your region. :)

So what is the game flow like?

In monster hunter you get quests -> kill monster -> get materials -> make gear

are you killing monsters for upgraded gear or what>?

Kyoufu

So what is the game flow like?

In monster hunter you get quests -> kill monster -> get materials -> make gear

are you killing monsters for upgraded gear or what>?

In this you kill monster, get new spells from rewards, move on to other monsters. Quests have paths that you must follow by either saving or sacrificing a boss to continue.

Only grinding required in this game is souls for leveling and unlocking seals. Practically none required to obtain magic.

Jonnyram

Patch is up now.
DLC is up on PSN too.
1 bit of DLC contains the two new bosses.
Another bit of DLC contains the Berserk forbidden magic.
No sign of the English voice DLC yet.

Does the game allow you to input your own character name or does it force your PSN name?

Watched some videos on youtube where people had different names than their actual PSN name and just wanted to know if its chosen at character creation or if it was grabbing the Japan-only "online id" (Japanese PSN accounts can have a separate online alias from their actual PSN id but not all games support it).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does the game allow you to input your own character name or does it force your PSN name?

Watched some videos on youtube where people had different names than their actual PSN name and just wanted to know if its chosen at character creation or if it was grabbing the Japan-only "online id" (Japanese PSN accounts can have a separate online alias from their actual PSN id but not all games support it).
You can enter your character's name, but it shows both while in the true sight mode iirc.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What does the patch do?
Adds an option to dodge while using a ranged magic, enables the first 2 pieces of free dlc, adds a radar, list of souls you got during the quest and a few other things I can't remember.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'd really like this game if it didn't take so long to "summon" weapons and such and their duration wasn't so terribly short. I know that would completely change the dynamic of the game, but I just find myself not having any fun constantly worrying about the duration of a weapon and the timing of when to summon it. It's too bad, because I really like the atmosphere they created.

Kyoufu

I think I'd really like this game if it didn't take so long to "summon" weapons and such and their duration wasn't so terribly short. I know that would completely change the dynamic of the game, but I just find myself not having any fun constantly worrying about the duration of a weapon and the timing of when to summon it. It's too bad, because I really like the atmosphere they created.

Well that's the whole point of the game. Limited resources. The weapon magics duration does increase as you obtain better versions, and can be boosted further with certain seals.

edit: New update on the 11th which will improve melee magic.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Pretty good walkthrough of all the forbidden spells:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDFc5jrX3E
All the walkthrough you need:
- Excalibur deals 2x more damage then the rest of them (4k).
- Gleipnir is the best when playing with a party, because 2 golems + normal attacks + 2k damage from the spell itself is more than excalibur would give you.

Tried all the others, including Berserk, but didn't like them, with Berserk being the worst with the huge knockback. Well, it does have the smallest penalty
spells are hidden behind question marks. We thought they're going to be shuffled before it was released, but it only hides it :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
All the walkthrough you need:
- Excalibur deals 2x more damage then the rest of them (4k).
- Gleipnir is the best when playing with a party, because 2 golems + normal attacks + 2k damage from the spell itself is more than excalibur would give you.

Tried all the others, including Berserk, but didn't like them, with Berserk being the worst with the huge knockback. Well, it does have the smallest penalty
spells are hidden behind question marks. We thought they're going to be shuffled before it was released, but it only hides it :(

What if everyone ends up using the swords for that one where they can pull swords out of you? What's the damage like?

Thoraxes

Do they have a party matching or lobby system for online play (because I only have 1 other friend with a Vita)?

I feel like most of my time would be best spent online with this game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
What if everyone ends up using the swords for that one where they can pull swords out of you? What's the damage like?
If you mean making a sword out of your spine, that's Excalibur. The damage was around 4k, when we checked.
Couldn't properly judge Gorgon (eye turret) damage, because it was a flood of 18s, instead of one big damage number.
Gleipnir which catches and holds an enemy is around 2k plus all the damage you can deal while the enemy is immobilized - that's a lot of golem hits and since 2 can be active and one golem punch deals 380+damage bonuses, it's clear that it'll be more than pure 4k if you have 3+ people.
Do they have a party matching or lobby system for online play (because I only have 1 other friend with a Vita)?

I feel like most of my time would be best spent online with this game.
There's a lobby system and you can even join a random room (which isn't that good). You can set your room's name, chapters you're planning on doing etc.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How is the game doing online? Active?
Quite a lot of people playing it, but since we play together with Expel, Kyoufu, JonnyRam, DJ Mizuhara and (formerly) RevenantKioku, there's no need to group with randoms. More than once we had more people wanting to play than slots.

Edit:
And together with Ryouga Saotome, don't hate me! :(

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If you mean making a sword out of your spine, that's Excalibur. The damage was around 4k, when we checked.
Couldn't properly judge Gorgon (eye turret) damage, because it was a flood of 18s, instead of one big damage number.
Gleipnir which catches and holds an enemy is around 2k plus all the damage you can deal while the enemy is immobilized - that's a lot of golem hits and since 2 can be active and one golem punch deals 380+damage bonuses, it's clear that it'll be more than pure 4k if you have 3+ people.

There's a lobby system and you can even join a random room (which isn't that good). You can set your room's name, chapters you're planning on doing etc.

I think he meant the light swords that can get pulled out of your immobile body; the Lv.40+ light spell.

Thoraxes

Perfect. That works for me. I still have my $30 pre-order from summer intact, so i'll hang onto it :D

BadWolf

Quite a lot of people playing it, but since we play together with Expel, Kyoufu, JonnyRam, DJ Mizuhara and (formerly) RevenantKioku, there's no need to group with randoms. More than once we had more people wanting to play than slots.

Edit:
And together with Ryouga Saotome, don't hate me! :(

Good to hear, thanks.

Any update or news on when the english subtitle update hits the JP version? I have been holding off to play until it comes out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's the whole point of the game. Limited resources. The weapon magics duration does increase as you obtain better versions, and can be boosted further with certain seals.

edit: New update on the 11th which will improve melee magic.

Oh, I understand that. I think the aspect that bothers me the most is just how long it takes to summon a melee weapon, for example. Obviously, a lot of people are having a blast playing the game, so this just may be one of those "not for me" cases, but I personally think it would have been a lot more fun if it were easier to switch between spells and "combo" magic together.

Genkobar

Shit, so no go on a US Vita?

Since we have to swap out memory cards to use multiple accounts, unfortunately you can't use foreign DLC on your native account like on the PS3... You sure could play the Japanese version of Soul Sacrifice on your US vita, but you'd have to dedicate a memory card to a Japanese account, and only play the game on there.

But the Western release really is just around the corner, and I think everyone who pre-orders will get Japanese voices for free.

I was just checking if they'd released the English voices yet for myself, but it seems to have been delayed. At least I can only find the new boss DLC and new "Berserk forbidden magic" DLC in the store.

By the way, is anyone else having trouble finding people to play with on trains in Japan? At least on my morning and evening commutes through Kyoto, I've yet to find a game to join in ad hoc mode.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
By the way, is anyone else having trouble finding people to play with on trains in Japan? At least on my morning and evening commutes through Kyoto, I've yet to find a game to join in ad hoc mode.
I've yet to see two people playing the same game via ad-hoc on a train in Tokyo tbh. They usually just do their stuff in single player mode.

Genkobar

I see, I guess most people are just playing through the internet at home, then... Here I was thinking ad hoc on the train was the proper Japanese way to play.

Sorry, I just moved to Japan again :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I see, I guess most people are just playing through the internet at home, then... Here I was thinking ad hoc on the train was the proper Japanese way to play.

Sorry, I just moved to Japan again :p
Yes, ad-hoc is the correct way, but not in trains, but in Mc Donalds.

Anyway, SS is getting the rumor system soon, hype get!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There's a "Rumor" option in the online section of the game (menu before looking for rooms etc.) and if you check it, it will be possible to listen to rumors like "from Date1 to Date2 chance to get souls+ will be higher". Two first rumors will be:
- Souls+ and Souls++ will have higher drop rates in all quests.
- Souls+ and Souls++ will have a higher drop rates in all gemini (2 bosses at once) quests
It seems like players will be able to set a rumor to a quest as they like with the max of 2 being active.

Something like this, don't trust the above 100% because I just woke up and don't really trust my own translation skills now, lol.

Top Bottom