• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Import impressions thread

Kraken is such a creepy bastard. I'm just running through some Avalon stuff on my own right now. Note: bringing a light mage and dark mage along with you is a bad idea. They don't get along very well. v_v

Dark one sacrificed the light one. Hahaha.

Kraken is such a creepy bastard. I'm just running through some Avalon stuff on my own right now. Note: bringing a light mage and dark mage along with you is a bad idea. They don't get along very well. v_v

Dark one sacrificed the light one. Hahaha.

Wow, like that they put that much thought into the AI.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For everyone who missed our over 1 hour long RSG multiplayer party livestream, you can watch it here.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
iVdMWcVqcvAww.jpg

:/

some few days ago I remember Maedhros attacking me and saying the ground textures got fixed,but it look like they didn't fix it.

Maedhros

:/

some few days ago I remember Maedhros attacking me and saying the ground textures got fixed,but it look like they didn't fix it.

IT looked like they fixed on screenshots. Dunno, I think they got better.

Anyway, you're playing a FUCKING GAME, not textures. Stop being annoying and go back to your eternal sulking.

Promised I would post some pictures of Soul Sacrifice stuff I saw in Tokyo. Here are a few in store things and subway ad:

These are just empty display boxes:

At a local store in Shibuja, again there was about 12-15 people watching the demo/trailer when I was getting in and seemingly a lot of people looking at Vita stuff.

Shahed

Definitely worth it. The story mode is robust and there's tons of content to burn through. AI partners are also pretty useful (and hilarious when they sacrifice you).

The story itself is really good so far. There was a lot of care taken in creating the setting and the overall narrative. Really enjoying it so far.

That's all I needed to know. Not that interested in multiplayer, but if the narrative is fleshed out for solo play, I'm in.

Thanks!

Roubjon

I seriously can't comprehend this ground texture thing. It's as if an ugly floor texture is keeping people away from a video game. If that was the case I would never touch anything besides PC games from 2010 onwards.

Wazzy

Banned
I seriously can't comprehend this ground texture thing. It's as if an ugly floor texture is keeping people away from a video game. If that was the case I would never touch anything besides PC games from 2010 onwards.

It's a very petty complaint. If that's enough to turn someone off a game then why play games in the first place?

I think it's just a joke or I hope it is because if that is the only reason why someone won't get this game then that person needs to stop playing handheld games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ground textures, what?!

I've played up to the pumpkin man fight and didn't even think to be bothered by the ground textures... This game looks seriously good for a portable. Not sure if it's running in native resolution, but it sure looks a lot sharper than stuff like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

What shortcomings or strenghts does it have compared to MH? I mean, people compare PSO and MH all the time, sometimes even eloquently, though I think they're far more different than similar aside from the most basic structure. I guess I'm curious how this game relates to that kind of dichotomy.

Well, SS seems a lot more fast paced with a larger focus on the action compared to MH. A large focus of MH is the crafting of new weapons and armor while the customization in SS is mainly the different magics while the armors are mostly cosmetic. There's also less exploration in SS it seems, although it's not like there was much of that in MH. It's a bit early to tell if one of them is better, but I really like what I've seen of SS so far and I'm a big MH fan.

What shortcomings or strenghts does it have compared to MH? I mean, people compare PSO and MH all the time, sometimes even eloquently, though I think they're far more different than similar aside from the most basic structure. I guess I'm curious how this game relates to that kind of dichotomy.

They're quite different, and I think Inafune and co. are doing a disservice to the game by advertising toward the MH crowd as much as they have been, but that's just me.

In any case, one big difference is that SS cuts out a lot of the in-between stuff; you're not searching for the monster and running through the same areas all the time. You enter an area, and boom, boss fight.

LMN

I heard some people feel that there is no strategy in the game at all, rather most of it just spamming the attack, is that true?

I heard some people feel that there is no strategy in the game at all, rather most of it just spamming the attack, is that true?

I doubt you can just spam attacks since the magics break when you use them too much. I've also seen players freeze a boss with ice attacks and then use lightning to make the ice explode. And if you block the Jack o' lantern's roll attack, he flips on his back. I'm sure there is a lot more you can do in the full game.

cyborg009

Banned

If have max spells the game will pretty much get easy but if your playing with weaker people the difficulty really shoots up.

LMN

Nice =), i planning to go saving only route when the game release ^^, what about law form or chaos form is that only cosmetic change or do you gain some extra power?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If you've missed yesterday's RSG Soul Sacrifice multiplayer livestream, you can watch it all here - http://youtu.be/IMm42oRmUKQ Almost hour and a half of hot SS action!
Nice =), i planning to go saving only route when the game release ^^, what about law form or chaos form is that only cosmetic change or do you gain some extra power?
If you want to have all sidequests marked as "cleared", you can't really do that. Let me show that on a screenshot:
As you can see, there are arrows pointing to different places, which means that sacrificing/saving a boss will unlock a different path and lock the other one.

Maedhros

Well, SS seems a lot more fast paced with a larger focus on the action compared to MH. A large focus of MH is the crafting of new weapons and armor while the customization in SS is mainly the different magics while the armors are mostly cosmetic. There's also less exploration in SS it seems, although it's not like there was much of that in MH. It's a bit early to tell if one of them is better, but I really like what I've seen of SS so far and I'm a big MH fan.

You forgot the Seals, which need to be "made" with monsters and give specific bonus.

Completely false statement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Not sure about the strategy part, but the first boss-like monster (the Jack 'O Lantern) wrecked my face when I tried that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Not sure about the strategy part, but the first boss-like monster (the Jack 'O Lantern) wrecked my face when I tried that.
If you don't pay attention to boss patterns you're as good as dead. It only gets harder later on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's really weird because even PS2 and Xbox had anisotropic filtering in most titles.
You're are 100% incorrect.

Xbox games have the exact same issue as Vita with the lack of AF. In fact, most PS3 and 360 games lack AF as well. It's extremely common.

Ps2 games, however, very rarely employed mipmapping as the hardware did not directly support it. Textures didn't become blurry at a distance but instead turned into a garbled mess.

So Vita is not alone in its lack of anisotropic filtering. Not at all.

It's interesting for me as the NA launch of MoHun is nigh (fucking finally) and this is also coming next month, I was seriously concerned I would only have the time, both literally and mentally, for just the one.
Having gone through the impressions though and that rather excellent DigitalPulse GTR Youtube review just now, I can honestly say that I want both in my life as they really do offer enough of a unique experience individually.

To break it down even simpler as far as how I'm measuring the experiences:

MoHun = more deliberate progression + resource/mineral gathering + more open playspaces. It's a franchise I've already sunk 300+ hours into and very much understand what to expect.

SS = more instant action + jump in/out mechanics coupled with a completely different presentation aesthetic. It's arena boss rush, not Monster Hunting.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Rushing through story mode, since our RSG won't be able to MP until the evening.
Someone here was worried about character customization - don't be, there's an achievement for getting 60 pieces of clothing, lol.

Sorry for the late answer, but I've just downloaded the "preorder" bonuses, so I can answer the following question:
Those preorder bonus magicks are just powered up versions of regular magicks, right? Or are they actual exclusives?
Yes, those are all upgraded version of normal magicks, which you can get during the course of the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This one is my favourite too (from the demo).
I'm certain that in the game this track has vocals though. Wasn't there supposed to be a female voice humming soothing "aaAAaah" noises? Love that track!
Anyone here know when the OST releases?
March 13th in Japan.

Solal

Looks like we can't lock on ennemys can we?

I really don't like it when you can't turn around an ennemy you chose.

But the game looks very fun and the graphics are great (even if I really don't like the art direction).

I ll buy it for sure.

Looks like we can't lock on ennemys can we?

I really don't like it when you can't turn around an ennemy you chose.

But the game looks very fun and the graphics are great (even if I really don't like the art direction).

I ll buy it for sure.

Yeah you can. Just hold down L.

Top Bottom