• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) Demo impressions

Razlo

Monster Hunter isn't good for me.
That's fine, but like most MH clones it gets the fighting monsters part without the living worlds or game depth.

I'm sure plenty that were scared off by Monster Hunter will like Soul Sacrifice better.

cyborg009

Banned
It's a monster hunter style game. That's pretty much par for the course. The focus is on the fights, not the exploration.

Well monster hunter areas are big but in sections. God eater is without sections but very big and the monster is constantly moving.

Maedhros

That's fine, but like most MH clones it gets the fighting monsters part without the living worlds or game depth.

I'm sure plenty that were scared off by Monster Hunter will like Soul Sacrifice better.

Yup. I'm on the minority that likes God Eater better than MonHun. Never liked it since PSP days.

Kazerei

Banned
Screens from the third and fourth quests.

yBwVt.jpg

fz7ag.jpg

GDUQa.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well monster hunter areas are big but in sections. God eater is without sections but very big and the monster is constantly moving.

Well, RO has rather large environments too, and I don't feel like it added anything to the game. Everyone just makes a beeline for the boss anyway.

cyborg009

Banned
Well, RO has rather large environments too, and I don't feel like it added anything to the game. Everyone just makes a beeline for the boss anyway.

That's in RO in God Eater Burst your enemy would run away and on you as well when you start to get overwhelmed.(you can even split your group)

I think the monhun clone stuff is unfair at this point. The game looks to be it's own thing with a unique setting and an original story. People just like to typecast things.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's in RO in God Eater Burst your enemy would run away and on you as well when you start to get overwhelmed.(you can even split your group)

Well, that's RO and MonHun. I don't feel like sectioned environments added anything to MonHun either. I'd be fine with a single arena to fight the boss in question in, instead of going to look for them, and chasing them down.

JoeFenix

I've been very critical of Inafune in the past few years and when I heard he was making a Vita game I didn't expect anything from it. Then it was actually shown, concept sounded cool and gameplay looked really good.

Seems like he actually delivered! Can't wait to hear the OST, Mitsuda and RE5 composer, should be fucking amazing!

Maedhros

Part of what makes MonHun so bad for me is the giant environments. I just want to trash the bosses with my friends.

Razlo

I think the monhun clone stuff is unfair at this point. The game looks to be it's own thing with a unique setting and an original story. People just like to typecast things.

If you don't think it's a MonHun clone you should probably play it. Whether it's good or not, cool or not, more accessible or whatever is debatable, but it totally is a MonHun clone & that's fine.

xclaw

How can you find these streams on the Vita nico app? I can't seem to even find a search option or any way to actually use the app and know what I'm doing.

thetrin

Is there multiplayer in this demo? I didn't see the option anywhere.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there multiplayer in this demo? I didn't see the option anywhere.

Yep it's in the main menu.

Still can't beat the Cerberus even with another player helping haha. Also kind of unclear as to what to do in ghost mode. I know you tap but...?

JoeFenix

Happy to hear that it's not super easy, the trade show demos have all looked extremely simple.

This Cerberus looks like it's demolishing people with a constant barrage of attacks, good stuff!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The 4 player coop missions are pretty fun. Everyone よろしくing when they enter. It's like I'm really playing EXVS.

The ふふふ chat is pretty good too.

JoeFenix

Sooooo... is there actually online play in this demo?

If so I might format my Vita and check it out, I have a 4gb card that came with my launch Vita that I forgot I even had. I really want to try this game out, looks pretty damn good!

game looks freaking great/clean (aa is really noticeable). How does the magic work though, i cant seem to be able to transform my arm anymore, my icy powers are gone too

thetrin

game looks freaking great/clean (aa is really noticeable). How does the magic work though, i cant seem to be able to transform my arm anymore, my icy powers are gone too

Each power has a limited use number. It's the first stat on the right hand column when you're arming powers.

Both ice and arm transformation are 4 uses I believe. You can repair broken skills after a mission using tears. Blood bullets are unlimited, but they suck your health.

Kacho

The monsters do nothing for me. Some of them look pretty bad.

The gameplay looks OK, I guess. You can definitely see the similarities to Monster Hunter, but it seems to be different enough to make it interesting.

Hope we see a demo soon. I need to check this out.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyone know what to do in ghost mode? You can tap and hold either players or monsters but not sure what it's doing.

guek

Banned
Looks pretty neat. At the very least, the artistic style of the game is very distinct from MonHun. The monster designs really aren't my cup of tea, but to each his own. I hope Sony can find an audience with this one.

Surfheart

Is the lack of bilinear filtering on the ground texture an artistic choice, old code or hardware limitation? It looks ugly as hell.

Top Bottom