• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita x Inafune) - Conference impressions and videos added to OP

I don't love what I'm seeing, but I don't hate it either, I look forward to the footage in the next day or so

I do like the more muted colour palette in the screenshots though, even though I expect a few people would dislike that

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Didn't we see a similar reaction with the Dante's Inferno reveal?
Or was it just because people found it a a gorey/bland fest?

Most of the controversy around Dante's Inferno was drummed up by EA themselves in an attempt to make the game more controversial than it really was. A few people reacted negatively towards Dante killing demon babies, but most people didn't care much either way.

I think certain factions on GAF whether consciously or not tricked themselves into believing that no more Vita games are coming.

among whom are some early adopters that very obviously never should've been. who or what it was that made them rush out & buy such a disappointing piece of hardware remains a mystery :) ...

KillGore

thisisneogafdude.gif

MtZ9N.gif

Mondriaan

among whom are some early adopters that very obviously never should've been. who or what it was that made them rush out & buy such a disappointing piece of hardware remains a mystery :) ...
Buying hardware could be considered license to troll threads pertaining to the said hardware. Any joy in trolling means that that money was well-spent.

Jomjom

Banned
I hope they decide to do a PS3 port as well. An Inafune joint doesn't deserve to only be released to such a small userbase.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm honestly not sure how people are shooting this down. The game looks so, so cool... and the monster designs are absolutely top-notch. It's like the second we get away from the generic schlock that's been shoved down our throats for years, there's a problem.

Truth101

Banned
I'm honestly not sure how people are shooting this down. The game looks so, so cool... and the monster designs are absolutely top-notch. It's like the second we get away from the generic schlock that's been shoved down our throats for years, there's a problem.

Some people might not like guro-horror monster designs and games based around self mutilation?

Danny Dudekisser

Some people might not like guro-horror monster designs and games based around self mutilation?

Yeah, but the game itself seems to be a lot less "gross" than the concept art. And the bigger problem is that I imagine a lot of these same people were fine with Gears of War's violence, which is far more extreme. Chiding games for being violent just happens to be in vogue right now.

gkryhewy

Disappointing graphics IMO, plus the grossness. Will keep an eye on it though. Hopefully that doesn't require me to tear my own eye out.

Truth101

Banned
Yeah, but the game itself seems to be a lot less "gross" than the concept art. And the bigger problem is that I imagine a lot of these same people were fine with Gears of War's violence, which is far more extreme. Chiding games for being violent just happens to be in vogue right now.

Don't judge what the content of the game will be when we have seen a few stills of a partially complete game.

Also assumptions, like so and so doesn't like this, but they probably liked that which is even worse, are really useless and stupid to make.

Danny Dudekisser

Don't judge what the content of the game will be when we have seen a few stills of a partially complete game.

Also assumptions, like so and so doesn't like this, but they probably liked that which is even worse, are really useless and stupid to make.

All I'm saying is that I don't remember these sorts of complaints when Gears 3 or Mortal Kombat rolled around, so why now?

Endo Punk

Those monsters look like something from my sexy dreams, and it also make me realise why I hate handhelds. This and Gravity Daze would be on PS3 if not for the Vita ;_;

Kaizer

Banned
Wowzers, this game looks BADASS. Can't wait to see more of it. I can tell I'm going to own a Vita before this year ends. Gravity Rush is REALLY edging me towards getting one now, but I want to wait to see if there will be a significant price drop.

I can just imagine the TV adds.

"So you thought Demons Souls was tough??? Well then get a load of THIS!... its Demons SoulsEXTREME. Rip out your spinal cord! eyeballs! nervs! bones! and get to see the most GRUESOMELY AWESOME battle moves EVER. EXTREME. SOUL SACRIFICE. Better than Monster Hunter and Demons Souls COMBINED. Get yours NOW! "

Thats kinda the idea I get from the summary. But definitely dig the idea of sacrificing yourself to execute powerful spells.

"So you thought Demons Souls was tough??? Well then get a load of THIS!... its Demons SoulsEXTREME. Rip out your spinal cord! eyeballs! nervs! bones! and get to see the most GRUESOMELY AWESOME battle moves EVER. EXTREME. SOUL SACRIFICE. Better than Monster Hunter and Demons Souls COMBINED. Get yours NOW!"
Sounds great, sign me up!

Truth101

Banned

"So you thought Demons Souls was tough??? Well then get a load of THIS!... its Demons SoulsEXTREME. Rip out your spinal cord! eyeballs! nervs! bones! and get to see the most GRUESOMELY AWESOME battle moves EVER. EXTREME. SOUL SACRIFICE. Better than Monster Hunter and Demons Souls COMBINED. Get yours NOW! "

Thats kinda the idea I get from the summary. But definitely dig the idea of sacrificing yourself to execute powerful spells.

It isn't anything like Demon Souls though and we don't even know if it is going to be like Monster Hunter, minus the 4 player co-op.

AEGISX

Banned
Going by your avatar you ave shit taste in games, then. See two people can play that game.

I honestly hope mods start baning people for dismissing/judging posts based on people's avatar.

Hate much?
If that's the case. You should be banned too

Truth101

Banned
Hate much?
If that's the case. You should be banned too

Way to completely miss the point. I have no opinion on FFXIII at all, but...

Tons of people hate FFXIII and think it is one of the worst things to happen to the series, yet no one is dismissing what you say based on your avatar being a character from FFXIII.

So, grow up and realize that peoples' opinions aren't bound by whatever avatar they decide to wear for the time.

I'd guess that would be too much to ask though?

I'm getting off-topic though and see no reason to continue.

DiscoJer

How do you know it isn't anything like demons souls?

Other than having "Soul" in the name, why is there any reason for it to be linked to Demon's Soul in the first place? Lots of games have "Soul" in the name - Soul Caliber/Blade, Soul Hackers, Sony's own Folksoul and their Bleach games usually have a Soul subtitle (Heat the Soul)

Sera O

Banned
I dislike gore for gore's sake, but depending on how the body-horror stuff is tied in thematically it could be more acceptable to me. If mutilating yourself is a side effect of committing violence, it's at least different than just going around ripping enemies apart as graphically as possible just for kicks even though you're apparently heroic.

It does remind me a lot of Berserk's nightmare-on-earth setting, especially concept art. The enemy designs are awesome/disturbing. It's interesting that they may be degraded people who have gone down the main character's path before.

Not sure if my squeamishness will make this unpleasant for me to play, but I'm definitely curious about how it comes together.

Raoh

I just noticed, with all the complaints about the screenshots.

There is a logo on the bottom left that is pixelated/stretched out. Could this be the cause of the complaints? Its presented badly? If that text is bad then its not an actual example of the graphics no?

Or that website just have an ugly logo?

CamHostage

Other than having "Soul" in the name, why is there any reason for it to be linked to Demon's Soul in the first place? Lots of games have "Soul" in the name - Soul Caliber/Blade, Soul Hackers, Sony's own Folksoul and their Bleach games usually have a Soul subtitle (Heat the Soul)

The artwork and text treatment were similar, and back when that was all we had, it made sense (and was fun) to speculate.

Now that we have some info though, it'd probably be smart to knock off the Demon/Dark Souls talk unless some connection is actually drawn by Sony. We don't have proof that it's NOT connected, but keeping this train of thought going now would only lead to disappointment about what looks like a pretty cool project on its own.

Patapwn

For the record books, I don't think it will be Demons/Dark souls. However, there are some undeniable similarities. I don't think it's a stretch at this point to claim Soul Sacrifice might have learned a thing or two from DS.

All I'm saying is that I don't remember these sorts of complaints when Gears 3 or Mortal Kombat rolled around, so why now?

Those games have a different type of violence/imagery compared to this. People are pretty much used to that type of brutal violence. But I think what is different for this game is the self-mutilation factor and twisted/macabre (and very well-done imo) artwork. It definitely won't sit too well with some people, especially because it is uncommon and people aren't expecting it.

it's best not to assume things based on peoples avatars.

Exactly, for instance I do not have a mustache.

I just noticed, with all the complaints about the screenshots.

There is a logo on the bottom left that is pixelated/stretched out. Could this be the cause of the complaints? Its presented badly? If that text is bad then its not an actual example of the graphics no?

Or that website just have an ugly logo?

Could be We will know more in a few hours when the official press release occurs and we get a real video of gameplay.

Top Bottom