• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Source] Mod Megathread

Sibylus

Banned
Yeah, Goldsrc modding would easily fill a thread unto itself. I'd do it, but I've played only a handful of HL1 mods at best. Though I did enjoy watching my friend be scared shitless through Are You Afraid of Monsters, bahaha.

Downloaded Stanley Parable earlier today, going to play it and give my impressions. Hopefully it's better than PostScript, there's very few good "alt" mods.

Sibylus

Banned
It inspires a lot of thought and simple as the architecture is, it's a vehicle for the meat and potatoes of the thing: subversion. It's a grand exercise in tipping as many things on their ears as possible, and it's fairly successful in that goal. Really clever little piece, I loved it.

So what follows is my summary and thoughts of the thing, including the six
endings.

A first ending can be found by following all the mainline instructions: Stanley turns the machine off and gets "freedom". A heavy sense of irony is to be found here, the narrator describes freedom by not following voices or text on a screen, yet that's all he's done to get to this point.

A second ending can be found by following all mainline instructions save the last: Stanley turns the machine on and dies. Lampoons videogame staples such as secret bases, nuclear death endings, buttons, and a solution to every puzzle.

A third ending can be found by following the mainline instructions until the stairs: Stanley loses his mind and dies. Lampoons more videogame tropes such as doors that close by themselves, disembodied narrator voices, and cyclical level structures.

A fourth ending can be found by ignoring the mainline instructions and following the secondary instructions: The story starts over and all illusion of choice is stripped away, Stanley is trapped in the room and presses buttons on cue and dies, on cue.

A fifth ending can be found by ignoring the mainline instructions and following the punishment instruction, at which point a second narrator describes the relationship between Stanley and the first narrator, and that the two can only be "saved" if the game is turned off.

A sixth ending can be found by ignoring all of the instructions: Stanley breaks out to unfinished sections of the map and the first map from Half-Life 2. Eventually he wanders off the beaten path and the narrator's voice fades in the distance. Struck me almost as a symbolic representation of the death of the author, where the participant of the story can believe anything he wants about the tale so long as he continually puts distance between himself and the written intention.

An interesting observation is that the only outcomes that are positive for Stanley are those where he doesn't compromise: he either accepts virtually all or rejects all of them. A mixed set of choices always results in death or disappointment, the narrator lets Stanley go if he consistently accepts or rejects him.

Here's my take on the mod as a whole. Between Stanley (the player), the Narrator, and the Woman, at the highest level it's a story about a story: three authors are all locked into a battle to control and shape the story to their liking. Stanley wants to solve all the puzzles and see everything, the Narrator wants Stanley to stay on a well-plotted path that ends with a feel-good ending (or grisly death, failing that), the Woman despairs at the story dragging on for so long and wants it to be cut off immediately. Interestingly, all three authors get what they want. To some degree each creates another and is created in turn.

Now off to read the modder's own interpretation of his work! (can be found in the downloaded archive)

Inkwell

Banned
Linkzg said:
check out The Stanley Parable

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable

It's difficult to give a description without spoiling it. It's not an action mod and I hesitate to call it a narrative mod like Dear Esther...if you play it, it will make sense. It's best to go in blind.
This was really enjoyable. The mapping left something to be desired, but maybe that was intentional. I don't know how much I can say without spoilering everything. I'll just say everyone should give this a go. It's quite engaging, and at the very least quite humorous.

yeah, I considered making a thread for it. It's free to everyone with a steam install and it's definitely worth playing.

my favorite moment had to be
running around, looking for an exit after turning the wrong valve. The narrator got me good. Amazing how unconsciously you act based on past experiences in games. And he got me a second time when I kept looking for an exit. It definitely challenges everything you've learned through years of playing games.

The M.O.B

Just went through The Stanley Parable five times, great stuff.

On another note, anybody want to try out my very old map I made years ago? It will only take 15 minutes to get through.

The Lost Canyon

Features
- Brain twisting puzzles
- No guns
- No enemies
- Intense life and death situations
- Awesome music
- An epic tale of..................LOST CANYONS!

I entered this map into a contest in which I won Bronze awhile back, I went by the name of Imus back then. This was from back in 08, amazing I was able to finish it due to Source being a pain to map for :/

Inkwell

Banned
The M.O.B said:

On another note, anybody want to try out my very old map I made years ago? It will only take 15 minutes to get through.

The Lost Canyon

Features
- Brain twisting puzzles
- No guns
- No enemies
- Awesome music

I entered this map into a contest in which I won Bronze awhile back, I went by the name of Imus back then. This was from back in 08, amazing I was able to finish it due to Source being a pain to map for :/
I love games that emphasize puzzle solving (just look at my avatar). It was more action oriented than I thought it would be going from your description. I still had fun though. It's a shame that more people don't make maps or mods similar to this or Research and Development.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Void is pretty damn cool.
https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=23876
Made by DigiPen Singapore students it's, in my opinion, good enough to become part of the next Portal, much like that other paint based project inspired Portal 2's use of liquids. Of course a profesionally done sequel could also become its own thing, not every cool puzzle concept has to be incorporated into the Portal series.

It's a little rough visually and in other ways but don't judge it by the trailer, it doesn't show it off very well.

Basically every level is two in one, with the current broken down state of it and its past fully functional state. You can bring up a special visor that allows you to see the past state, but not interact with it. You can also fire "bubbles" that for a limited time materialise the past state within a certain radious, allowing you to interact with it.

You use the "bubbles" to pick up keys from the past, activate switches, connect circuits, take physics objects, materialise floors and working doors, etc, in order to progress. It works really well and has various clever uses, like areas that have different water levels between the two different states. I haven't gone too far to know how good it gets or how long it is but the concept shines through regardless.

It's only like 200 MB and of course mods like this are essentially stand alone now, you just need Steam and the now free Source SDK. I think.

Here's a making of video showing this alongside another DigiPen project, Terra, which also looks cool though I've yet to try it. Void starts halfway through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd8ZS3e_I-U

Sibylus

Banned
The M.O.B said:

The Lost Canyon

Features
- Brain twisting puzzles
- No guns
- No enemies
- Awesome music

Finished eet. Was fun, aside from some wonk issues (ie the acid pool being protected with an invisible wall [should've been wider so the issue wouldn't have come up], the torch not lighting unless you hit it the exact right way). I liked the Last Crusade allusion.

Oh, and I came across The Reverie in my map folder, played through it again. God, that second map always gives me the creeps.

Inkwell

Banned
Alextended said:
Made by DigiPen Singapore students it's, in my opinion, good enough to become part of the next Portal, much like that other paint based project inspired Portal 2's use of liquids. Of course a profesionally done sequel could also become its own thing, not every cool puzzle concept has to be incorporated into the Portal series.

It's a little rough visually and in other ways but don't judge it by the trailer, it doesn't show it off very well.

Basically every level is two in one, with the current broken down state of it and its past fully functional state. You can bring up a special visor that allows you to see the past state, but not interact with it. You can also fire "bubbles" that for a limited time materialise the past state within a certain radious, allowing you to interact with it.

You use the "bubbles" to pick up keys from the past, activate switches, connect circuits, take physics objects, materialise floors and working doors, etc, in order to progress. It works really well and has various clever uses, like areas that have different water levels between the two different states. I haven't gone too far to know how good it gets or how long it is but the concept shines through regardless.

It's only like 200 MB and of course mods like this are essentially stand alone now, you just need Steam and the now free Source SDK. I think.

Here's a making of video showing this alongside another DigiPen project, Terra, which also looks cool though I've yet to try it. Void starts halfway through.
I want to see this made into a full game right now! Seriously, If anyone here loves puzzle based games like Portal you need to try this.

Alextended said:

always like checking out games like this

it was nice to enjoy TAG and later see those mechanics worked into Portal 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alextended said:

Sounds similar to Kim Swift's idea for Portal 2.

Sibylus

Banned
oatmeal said:
Do any of these work on the Mac version of HL2?
Apparently it's possible, but I haven't tried it myself.

Taken from the readme of The Stanley Parable:

Steps for installing on Mac OSX, courtesy of Macocha:

1. Extract the mod and place it in: (Home)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/sourcemods/

You need to add a symlink to it in your hl2 directory. Like this:
2.a. Open Terminal
2.b. Navigate to the hl2 dir: cd /Users/(your user name)/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/(your steam id)/half-life\ 2/
2.c. Make symlink: ln -s ../../sourcemods/thestanleyparable/ thestanleyparable
Now you can run your game from terminal! Just enter:

3.a. export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/<User name>/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/<steam id>/half-life\ 2/bin:/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32
3.b. ulimit -n 2048
3.c. ./hl2_osx -steam -game thestanleyparable

If you want nice shortcut to run the game with simple doubleclick download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/795175/The Stanley Parable.dmg and place it anywhere.

Starting script assumes you have Steam in /Applications and you have only one steam account. To make it work with specific account (in case you have more than one) you need to manually edit the script. To do so, right click on the script and click Show Package Contents, navigate to Contents/MacOS, open run.sh in textedit and add your username there.

In order to run from terminal you also need to set path to libraries like this:
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/<User name>/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/<steam id>/half-life\ 2/bin:/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/osx32
and increase files limit:
ulimit -n 2048
Then do the ./hl2_osx thing.
Or simply use the launcher.

Sibylus

Banned
Robert Yang: I've killed my darling

Still, this is the first time (in a long while) that I've made some real progress. This is what Radiator 1-3 looks like right now:

muchmadness2.jpg

muchmadness1.jpg

Alextended said:

This was pretty good.

The Void Water Bubble thing was really cool.

Aon

Hey, I'm a suuuper hobbyist mapper who spends like the first week of every school holiday mapping and then moves onto other things until the next block of holidays come along. Last time I finished a Portal 2 map which took about 10 minutes to get through and this time I'm going back to basics and making a straight up HL2 combat map of around the same length.

This time though, I've leveled up. I've got the level into a prototype state before I make a run on amateur visual detailing! Hurrah!

So mostly, this long, tedious lead in is me asking whether anyone here feels like taking 10 minutes to run through the map in its current stage and feed me back some. (As well as bumping this underappreciated thread)

The link to the map is http://www.mediafire.com/?icaxzp70z975ezp and it's standard play instructions.

Unzip .BSP to steamapps/name/half life 2 ep 2/ ep2/maps then bash "map AonProto" into the console. Hope someone has a bit of fun with it/I learn something ;D

Sibylus

Banned
Trailer

Say whaaaaaaat? They're actually going to release this thing? Okay, so it's technically a beta, but it's damn right on top of us!

angular graphics said:
That's a pretty awesome mod BTW, finished it a couple of days ago. :)

Probably no one else tried it yet..?
Indeed, goddamn mod and game backlog :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doesn't look as hot as it did back in 2000something be4 L4D was even shown. Then again it probably wouldn't have been released at all without L4D...

Sibylus

Banned
Definitely a lot of rough edges, but these things have my interest:

- 8 player coop.
- Players aren't immune. In a SP/coop environment, this is fairly unique and should be the root of some interesting team situations (be a virtuous soul when you get bit and give yourself up, or be a total bastard and conceal it).
- Focus on objectives and important items, along with the shambling zombies. Zombie Panic and Zombie Master were more or less superseded by L4D for me, but NMRIH has my interest for the things it's trying to do differently than any of these.
- Some great-looking locations and maps.
- Limited light. I don't know if this remains true, but hopefully! It was a technical limitation to start with, but I think it's one of those things that shouldn't be fixed. Potential for some great panic moments and team strategy (nobody goes out without light, etc).

Woorloog

Banned
I know Source engine has a lot of mods and since this thread popped up...
Are there any Frank Herbert's Dune related mods out there?

I was thinking about replaying Half Life 1, gonna try the source remake. Are there any visual mods for Half Life 1 source?

The look it's a bit dated so i wanted to look as best as possible. Thanks for the time.

Sibylus

Banned
Ah, you're quite right, don't think it's compatible with HL: Source (though there may very well be some fan conversions of the content around).

hlhbk said:
Anyone know if these mods work with the cinematic mods?

I don't think they will. Most HL2 mods are for the Source SDK nowadays, which is separate from Half-Life 2 itself, I think.

Even if a mod does pull from HL2's data, you'll see a gulf in quality, as the cinematic mod will not revamp any custom content present in these mods. In other words, you'll see a super high-res asset from the cinematic mod juxtaposed next to the mod's own custom content, most likely created to the standards of HL2 (so low-res textures, low-poly models, etc).

Given I've never used the cinematic mod, I don't actually know if that would end up looking terrible or not.

Sibylus

Banned
Alright, finally got around to playing Titan. Took me roughly 2 hours.

+ Strong visuals, especially concerning lighting and space.
+ Some unique mechanics:
coolant puzzle, taking cover against mini-meteorites, moisture-vulnerable battery
- The voice acting and the writing really undercut whatever gravitas the story was going for, it's a shame.
Not to mention there was no subtlety to the foreshadowing, it was clear from the beginning that there was going to be a mutiny, severe racial tensions, and that there was going to be a betrayal
- A fair bit of jank in the cutscenes and one fight in particular.

Overall, the mod needed a lot more time in the oven for polish and refinement, especially for the rather prominent story that Titan is trying to tell. Hopefully Part 2 is much better in this regard!

Spoilertastic screenshots of my playthrough here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/botolf/screenshots/

Sibylus

Banned
3~ years, it rose from the dead sometime in 2009. Impressive nonetheless, such troubles tend to kill 90% of the mods that suffer 'em. 1.2 GBs, Tugzip seems to be having a panic attack :p

Sibylus

Banned
Played for a little over 2 hours, had a lot of fun. Some thoughts for now, still learning all the guns, ammo types, and mechanics:

+ A nice little stable of non-essential items that can be a great help nonetheless: Flashlight, Welder (force doors open/closed), Fire Extinguisher (clear fire), Flare Gun (signal choppers for supplies or rescue), Barricade Hammer + Wooden Planks, Walkie-Talkie (users can talk to each other no matter the distance), Phalanx (staves off infection for several more minutes).

+ The flashlight constraint turns out to be a really nice and unique gameplay mechanic. You have to find a physical flashlight in the world, and it can be used either alone or with a handgun (pistol in the dominant hand). Two-handed weapons like rifles and shotguns afford no light at all, and wielders of such have to rely on teammates to provide light for combat and navigation.

+ The effects after being exposed to infection are great. Another neat thing is that your teammates have no indication of it, so what the event means in the long run has everything to do with the sufferer telling people he's turning. If he's kind, he'll either tell his teammates and let himself be put down, or run away so that the runner he turns into is further out. If he's a total bastard he won't say anything and unexpectedly drop in the middle of the floor. It's something of a small panic event when you see it happen, because you know he's about to get back up within seconds.

+ The polish is heads and tails above any other Source zombie mod I've played. Character models, weapon models, maps, atmosphere, anything ranging from Zombie Master to Zombie Panic falls short of NMRIH here.

+ The sound and music are really tense in places. Can't wait for the Romeroesque soundset to be released (officially teased long ago, has yet to make its way in). Voice and text chat fades away with distance so you have to stick together to talk, dead players can only talk to each other and not live ones... all of this comes together to make for some really exciting and harrowing play. When you're all alone and can't hear anyone nearby, it's definitely a moment of worry.

+ Great minimalistic user interface and controls. Hold 1 to pop up a radial menu with your weapons, hold 2 to pop up a radial menu with your ammo (also easily shows how to drop it), tap F to switch to your flashlight and back, hold R to pull out the magazine of your gun to check the rounds left (also fades in text), v is a shoves for all weapons, nails and boards can be picked up and used with firstperson animations, etc. Compared to a classic like Zombie Panic, the implementation is quite a bit more cohesive and smooth here.

+ Kid zombies. This is something you pretty much never see, whether it be a retail game or a mod.

- A fair number of bad dedicated servers (presumably third party) which seemingly failed to follow the setup instructions. Missing everything galore! All fine once you find good servers.

- Some crash bugs every now and then, only ran into one in about two hours (and 6-7 rounds) of play.​

Overall, my first impressions of it are really positive. Some jagged edges here and there with things that need improvement, but what's already there is quite impressive. Given more TLC and time, No More Room in Hell could really cement itself as a staple for the multiplayer Source crowd. Great start to what's shaping up to be a great mod.

Sibylus

Banned
The NMRIH fellows were this week's interview guests on Podcast 17: http://www.podcast17.com/episodes/160/

Some details:

- The beta release and patch release was a real shot in the arm for the dev team.
- 2nd patch is coming, including map updates, more bug-fixes, etc.
- Water will not stop fall damage in the future.
- Proximity voice and chat will remain in the game (thank goodness), alltalk may be added as a server option (though server admins are setting it up already anyhow).
- Definitely more maps in the works (submerged [water galore, duh], hospital, containment [large map]).

Sibylus

Banned
Motivated them. The team lead was talking about how the development process was really grinding everyone down, what with the lack of direction for most of the initial attempts and the numerous instances of the project grinding to a halt. The latest attempt (2009~) with this new lead seems to have been a lot more directed, and the team's apparently been crunching like crazy on patches and the like. Looks like bright days ahead.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Botolf said:
The NMRIH fellows were this week's interview guests on Podcast 17: http://www.podcast17.com/episodes/160/

Some details:

- The beta release and patch release was a real shot in the arm for the dev team.
- 2nd patch is coming, including map updates, more bug-fixes, etc.
- Water will not stop fall damage in the future.
- Proximity voice and chat will remain in the game (thank goodness), alltalk may be added as a server option (though server admins are setting it up already anyhow).
- Definitely more maps in the works (submerged [water galore, duh], hospital, containment [large map]).

But that's a staple of classic game design. :(

The M.O.B

I haven't done a map in years, and unfortunately I no longer care for the source engine anymore.

Not that I have any excess freetime anyways.

Top Bottom