• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Source] Mod Megathread

Sibylus

Banned
zpo_corpsington0037.jpg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/zombie-panic-source/news/zps-23-update-live

Don't know what the hell kinda name "Corpsington" is, but that's their new map in this release. Changelog:

===== 2.3b (08-13-2012) =====

+ Updated zpa_town.
+ Fixed ZPA overtime.
+ Tweaked infection at end of the round.
+ Fixed Fire Spread.
+ Fixed Melee hit sounds.
+ Fixed Infected changing character upon turning.
+ Fixed Duck then Jump jitter.
+ Fixed HUD issues at 5:4 scale.

===== 2.3a (08-7-2012) =====

+ Fixed voice spam.
+ Fixed NeedAmmo message bug.
+ Changed latejoin default value to 30 seconds.
+ Fixed overtime message at ZPA when round is over.
+ Added cvar to control latejoining: mp_latejointime
+ Included map zpo_corpsington.
+ Added ammo specification for NeedAmmo message.
+ Fixed delay when displaying new map at loading screen.
+ Fixed Panic reequipping active weapon.
+ Fixed starting round walking.
+ Fixed spawns disabling.
+ Fixed grenade timer bug.
+ Added entity to disable automatic weaponry balance.
+ Added option to not spawn a weapon/ammo under a certain amount of players.
+ Added server convar to disable bunnyhop block, sv_bunnyhopblock.
+ Added ladder prediction.
+ Added Community Map Rating system.
+ Changed crosshair.
+ Fixed most stuck cases.
+ Added max ammo weight support for third party modding.
+ Added convars to limit ragdolls, cl_maxragdolls and sv_maxragdolls.
+ Added ragdoll persistence.
+ Readded infected collision.
+ Joined walk and lunge keys.
+ Fixed ZPA bugs.
+ Added game_image entity.
+ Added font support to game_text.
+ Added Display Weight and Hide Empty Ammo options.
+ Added fire spreading.
+ Changed Ammo, Stamina, Health, Armor and Weapon HUD.
+ Added Melee headshot.

+ Added trigger for phone primary attack, trigger_phone.
+ Added ConVar for head shots only mode, mp_headshotsonly.
+ Fixed PushAway force.
+ Tweaked Barricades physics impact resistance.
+ Fixed survivor detecting zombies in chat and mic.
+ Fixed winchester reloading animation.
+ Added math entity to remember between rounds, math_static.
+ Fixed server overwriting player default model.
+ Improved sv_gravity changes.
+ Added survivors seeing what the teammate is carrying.
+ Added late join with zombie and weaponry scaling.
+ Added infection to random player when there's not enough zombies.
+ Fixed being carrier in a row.
+ Added key to drop all unused ammo (ALT).
+ Increased player ability while crouching.
+ Tweaked shotguns.
+ Added system to remember players who left after joining.
+ Added crouch walking.
+ Enabled picking damaged boards.
+ Readded option to drop smaller amount of ammos.
+ Added dropped items grouping.
+ Fixed triggers not interacting with weapons and items.
+ Added new character Vanessa.
+ Fixed remaining health for medkits, pills and armor.
+ Added zombie group health indicator.
+ Added option to drop armor on ammo menu.

+ Fixed Push recharge time when missing objects.
+ Fixed setting cl_playermodel to carrier model.
+ Fixed USE sound blocking other sounds.
+ Fixed wasting lunge without lunge speed.
+ Removed Commons collision.
+ Fixed zombie respawn with a life available before death.
+ Added distance for info_beacon.
+ Fixed Can't init entities bug.
+ Removed beacons limit.
+ Fixed plugin's ChangeTeam compatibility.
+ Fixed IEDs stuck with players while there's an active IED.
+ Added new Zombie Vision. (Press L to toggle between new and old)
+ Added item_delivery and trigger_itemreceiver.
+ Added client and server convars to enable sprays.
+ Added option for info_beacon to display only for a selected team.

Sibylus

Banned
It's slumped into inactivity periodically, but the developers seem to ramp things up to roll out a big update now and again. I wonder how many of the people who are building Contagion still work on the project.

Played through two mods today: Whoopservatory and Mission Improbable. Both are by the same person - Magnar Jenssen - and though I didn't know as much until the credits rolled, the stylistic similarities are obvious. I just chalked it up to feeling like Half-Life 2 though, which I suppose is a compliment. Great atmosphere and pacing (MI is really quite long for a mod, though), and a great character in MI. Makes the lack of HL3 all the more bitter :(

Sibylus

Banned
releaseheader_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/grey/news/grey-v10-released

Looks great, though I few it might end up on my steadily burgeoning list of scary mods that I'm much too panicky to brave.

- Half-Life 2 Wars - Feature Showcase (Alien Swarm engine, CoHesque cover system. HL2 Wars always ropes me in now and again, slowly but surely it's building into quite the neat little RTS.)
- In Peremptorys' Shadow - Media Dump
- Dniepr releases new screenshots of its second chapter: http://www.moddb.com/mods/dniepr/images/chapter-2-ending1#imagebox

1345638307-lol01.jpg
1345637771-lol.jpg

- Zeigeist - Small Media Dump

02big.jpg
03big.jpg

Lotto

105_banner2.jpg

http://www.moddb.com/mods/no-more-room-in-hell/news/nmrih-beta-105-release

Two new maps and a pile of improvements and fixes. Need to rope some steam friends into playing!

Mods are the best. I've only beaten a handful of single-player mods such as MINERVA, Research and Development, Stanley Parable, and Mission Improbable, but they've all been nicely paced, short and varied, and extremely enjoyable. Enjoyed all of them really, can't wait to try out more from this thread. Will probably pick this up with a few friends, thanks for the link!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mods are the best. I've only beaten a handful of single-player mods such as MINERVA, Research and Development, Stanley Parable, and Mission Improbable, but they've all been nicely paced, short and varied, and extremely enjoyable. Enjoyed all of them really, can't wait to try out more from this thread. Will probably pick this up with a few friends, thanks for the link!

Half-Life 2 wise, I'd also recommend Nightmare House 2, Precursor, Ground Complex, and Mistake of Pythagoras, with the first two in particular being must-plays (Nightmare House 1 is included in 2 in case you're wondering).

Just finished MI final version. Excellent all around, although the third level wasn't as good as the first two I thought. Third was pretty challenging, though. There's also a mini-area in between levels 1 and 2.

7966890822_ef1acbc165_h.jpg

Pic is extremely dark, but yes, that is me against two hunters with a pistol, no more ammo left in anything else. And yes, I survived :)

Also, the mod doesn't tell you, but there are three special bright flowers (you'll know it when you see it) spread across each of the three levels!

Sibylus

Banned
Incidentally for those who weren't aware, No More Room in Hell is on Steam Greenlight! It's up to 29% on the positive ratings meter so far, throw it your upvotes!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92917582&searchtext=

A very strong truth. I've reaped hundreds of hours of additional play out of my games thanks to modding communities and the fruits of their labor, and it's that aspect that can really sell me on a game before it releases as well.

Take care of your modders and they'll take care of you.

Quick question for these mods I just need the source sdk? I know thats how Black mesa is set up does that apply to any source mod?

It's worth mentioning that Back to School requires you to have the hint system turned on otherwise there is at least one puzzle that is almost impossible to figure out on your own.

It also does that thing like Suicide Blitz 2 where you should probably turn down your graphics detail because there's a memory leak in Left4Dead 2 with custom campaigns and sometimes it can end up crashing the game (I've run in to this a few times, and the solution is always "turn down your graphics settings", even though I can run the game on all high at 60fps+. Regardless, it seems to work)

Ezalc

I wish that Zombie Master would come back. Such good times with that mod. Also apparently Suicide Survival is getting a new version and maps! Anybody on GAF ever play that mod? I find it hilarious. Lastly, what's the general consensus on NeoTokyo on GAF?

Sibylus

Banned
Releases

mall_of_ukraine0002.jpg

nmsflooded0163_large.jpg

b203-screenshot-3.jpg

I wish that Zombie Master would come back. Such good times with that mod. Also apparently Suicide Survival is getting a new version and maps! Anybody on GAF ever play that mod? I find it hilarious. Lastly, what's the general consensus on NeoTokyo on GAF?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/zombie-master-2

I wouldn't get one's hopes up short of more tangible content, though. Has yet to transition from the "non-committal gun renders" phase into the "holy shit maps everywhere" phase.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1228070
http://www.moddb.com/mods/black-snow

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?d5lkw732eb5257h

"Black Snow | A horror mod from the C17: Episode One and CANVAS guys"

BLACK SNOW is a singleplayer horror adventure mod with an emphasis on atmosphere and strong inklings to The Thing movies.

You play John Matsuda, an IT Technician that is part of the Prometheus assessment team sent to investigate communication silence at a research station in Greenland. Naturally, nothing is what it seems.

Downloading :)

Mikey Jr.

Is there a list of mods that are
a. Not single player
b. Not zombies
c. Decent online player count

hl1 used to be the shit in this regard. Havent heard much of the hl2 scene.

Sibylus

Banned
According to the server browser right now (expect it to rise with peak hours in NA), Age of Chivalry has players in the low dozens, Dystopia has 3, Empires has 6, Eternal Silence empty, Garry's Mod has a billion servers and people, HL2: Deathmatch hundreds of servers and dozens playing, Insurgency has a couple dozen playing, Pirates, Vikings, and Knights has a couple dozen playing, Synergy has a little over a dozen playing (coop, high player counts unnecessary).

City 17 EP1 will stay in limbo for 1+ year (they pretty much have no idea when they'll resume work on it and let's be honest here, they'll probably never will) but they will release their shaders this month: http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-17-episode-1/news/c17sstatus

And these two posts from facepunch:

It died. I have no idea when we'll get back to it. I've gotten really busy working on indie stuff and some studio related things, and 1/4 Life dropped off the face of the planet. Even if I did continue on it, I'd need a programmer to fix some pretty major bugs. They aren't super show stopping, but a lot of them are render based, and really break down the game.

However I do plan to release all of the shaders/materials/particles/models/etc so people can use them and the content isn't all for nothing. ETA on that probably in December.

I am at the mindset that I want to just ship it regardless, but I can't fully bring myself to ship it at it's current state. We've been overly ambitious with it and half of me wants to finish the final features, while the other half is leaning against that.

The render bugs are things I haven't been able to fully debug or find time to. To be honest c17 is really just missing a finished ending, but it's a huge last 10% to push through. We'll see what happens in 2013 though if the world doesn't end by then.

Sibylus

Banned
I am so goddamned bummed. I'd honestly prefer the mod just come out as-is, sans ending and with these render bugs than have it disappear into the aether. Worked for Black Mesa.

Here is a VERY lengthy feature walkthrough for Underhell Chapter 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZdDR6nwLY8

If you've forgotten, the original Underhell (now "The Prologue") was a military-shooter-esque singleplayer mod that used Smod as a base.

The game was broken up between three "styles". You had the tactical shooter, using Smod's enhanced bullet physics and A.I., a free roaming house location that felt sort of like an adventure game, and trippy dreamscape sequences where you had to solve nightmarish puzzles. Toward the end of the mod, it slowly began to emphasize supernatural elements.

Chapter 1 takes place in some kind of underground prison, and it looks like they are going hog wild with new features. Lots of Left4dead-style randomization elements, features being borrowed from games like Metro 2033, etc. Seems pretty ambitious.

gabbo

Here is a VERY lengthy feature walkthrough for Underhell Chapter 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZdDR6nwLY8

If you've forgotten, the original Underhell (now "The Prologue") was a military-shooter-esque singleplayer mod that used Smod as a base.

The game was broken up between three "styles". You had the tactical shooter, using Smod's enhanced bullet physics and A.I., a free roaming house location that felt sort of like an adventure game, and trippy dreamscape sequences where you had to solve nightmarish puzzles. Toward the end of the mod, it slowly began to emphasize supernatural elements.

Chapter 1 takes place in some kind of underground prison, and it looks like they are going hog wild with new features. Lots of Left4dead-style randomization elements, features being borrowed from games like Metro 2033, etc. Seems pretty ambitious.

Can't wait to try out the new features, but god damn, they need to release already. It seems like forever ago that Prologue came out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Having never played Uplink in any form whatsoever, is it worth visiting?

It's the Half-Life experience put into a nice neat 30-45 minute package of wonderfulness.

I have a high tolerance for older games visuals, so I'm going to recommend the OG experience to some mod remake: http://www.halflifeuplink.com/steamlink/

I view remakes for the most part as unnecessary and they almost always lose the magic of the original content.

Uplink (the original) for me was a very strong piece of HL content, that I loved playing even after I finished the main game. HL1 > Uplink > HL:OF > HL: BS for me.

Dunno how good this remake is though :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hello gentlemen and Happy Holidays. I have a new itch for playing all things Half Life 2, and was wondering if you can answer this question for me:

Regarding Synergy....can you use it to play all these 3rd party source mods in co-op? Including:

Black Mesa
Minerva
Dear Esther
Nightmare House 2
Precursor
Ground Complex
Mistake of Pythagoras

....etc, etc? If so, how exactly do my friend and I go about getting started? Is there a guide? Thanks.

Sibylus

Banned
Hello gentlemen and Happy Holidays. I have a new itch for playing all things Half Life 2, and was wondering if you can answer this question for me:

Regarding Synergy....can you use it to play all these 3rd party source mods in co-op? Including:

Black Mesa (content only, probably none of the coded elements)
Minerva
Dear Esther (unsure if this is the mod or remake)
Nightmare House 2
Precursor
Ground Complex
Mistake of Pythagoras

....etc, etc? If so, how exactly do my friend and I go about getting started? Is there a guide? Thanks.
Bolded the mods I saw on the game list just now (there are a great deal more to check out, and there's a fair number of maps that ship with the mod out of the box to play as well).

It's not too complicated to set up, install the mods in question (run each at least once), mount them from the Game List on the main menu and restart Synergy. Host a local server and pick the desired map, or find a dedicated server with a vote or votemap (physical doors trigger maps, etc) and go nuts.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Bolded the mods I saw on the game list just now (there are a great deal more to check out, and there's a fair number of maps that ship with the mod out of the box to play as well).

It's not too complicated to set up, install the mods in question (run each at least once), mount them from the Game List on the main menu and restart Synergy. Host a local server and pick the desired map, or find a dedicated server with a vote or votemap (physical doors trigger maps, etc) and go nuts.

Thanks a bunch Botolf. Is it easy to host a local server? Do I need any special networking knowledge or experience?

Sibylus

Banned
Thanks a bunch Botolf. Is it easy to host a local server? Do I need any special networking knowledge or experience?
Easy for some, not easy at all for others. I, for example, have never been able to host locally in a Source game for some reason. Plenty of dedicated servers around, though.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/depot

Depot is a mod inspired by VALVe's book "Raising the Bar" and concept-arts. This is redesigned part of Half-Life 2 levels - coastline and prison, but now it's a bit closer to old atmosphere of a dead, dried by Combine, world.

Player find himself in a wasteland, on a floor of a dried sea,and tried to find a way to island, where was a prison, and now - Combine Depot.

I started this project in late 2007, but all those years I've been busy because of getting education. So, time is come to finish the project!

I'll definitely check this out! :)

Sibylus

Banned
Finished Depot... eh. The mod looks nice, but there are so many problems with it that I had to cheat to simply progress at times. Sprawling mazelike environments with little in the way of supplies, broken difficulty, broken pathing for antlions in places, exits oftentimes are confused with mere background decoration (expect to become lost frequently), arcane jumping puzzles.

Way undercooked.

NeoTokyo has been updated: http://neotokyohq.com/index.html

CHANGELOG:
* New ZR68C/S/L and MX/S-5 models.
* Details added to most other guns.
* Tweaks made to smoke and frag grenades to make them easier to distinguish.
* New darker Jinrai skins.
* Changed default key bindings to be more consistent with other games.
* Changed default server config (3 minute round time, first to score 7).
* Made HUD icons more readable against bright backgrounds.
* Left lean exploit fixed.
* New maps:
nt_ballistrade_ctg
nt_decom_ctg
nt_disengage_ctg
nt_marketa_ctg
nt_ridgeline_ctg
nt_saitama_ctg
nt_sentinel_ctg
nt_terminal_ctg
* Updated maps:
nt_engage_ctg